Change your preferences here.
The user throws its held item at the target. The attack deals damage and gains effects depending on the type of item thrown. If there is no target or the target avoids this move using Protect or Detect, the user's held item is still lost. Fling fails if Embargo or Magic Room is in effect for the user, if the user is Arceus with a Plate item or Giratina-O with a Griseous Orb, if the user is holding a Gem item, if the user has Klutz for an ability, if the user isn't holding an item, or if the user is holding an item which doesn't appear in the following list:
- 130 power
- Iron Ball
- 100 power
- Armor Fossil, Claw Fossil, Cover Fossil, Dome Fossil, Hard Stone, Helix Fossil, Old Amber, Plume Fossil, Rare Bone, Root Fossil, Skull Fossil
- 90 power
- DeepSeaTooth, Draco Plate, Dread Plate, Earth Plate, Fist Plate, Flame Plate, Grip Claw, Icicle Plate, Insect Plate, Iron Plate, Meadow Plate, Mind Plate, Sky Plate, Splash Plate, Spooky Plate, Stone Plate, Thick Club, Toxic Plate, Zap Plate
- 80 power
- Dawn Stone, Dusk Stone, Electirizer, Magmarizer, Odd KeyStone, Oval Stone, Protector, Quick Claw, Razor Claw, Shiny Stone, Sticky Barb
- 70 power
- Burn Drive, Chill Drive, Douse Drive, Dragon Fang, Poison Barb, Power Anklet, Power Band, Power Belt, Power Bracer, Power Lens, Power Weight, Shock Drive
- 60 power
- Adamant Orb, Damp Rock, Heat Rock, Lustrous Orb, Macho Brace, Rocky Helmet, Stick
- 50 power
- Dubious Disc, Sharp Beak
- 40 power
- Eviolite, Icy Rock, Lucky Punch
- 30 power
- Absorb Bulb, Amulet Coin, Antidote, Awakening, BalmMushroom, Berry Juice, Big Mushroom, Big Nugget, Big Pearl, Binding Band, Black Belt, Black Flute, Black Sludge, BlackGlasses, Blue Flute, Blue Shard, Burn Heal, Calcium, Carbos, Casteliacone, Cell Battery, Charcoal, Cleanse Tag, Comet Shard, Damp Mulch, DeepSeaScale, Dire Hit, Dragon Scale, Eject Button, Elixir, Energy Root, EnergyPowder, Escape Rope, Ether, Everstone, Exp. Share, Fire Stone, Flame Orb, Float Stone, Fluffy Tail, Fresh Water, Full Heal, Full Restore, Gooey Mulch, Green Shard, Growth Mulch, Guard Spec, Heal Powder, Heart Scale, Honey, HP Up, Hyper Potion, Ice Heal, Iron, King's Rock, Lava Cookie, Leaf Stone, Lemonade, Life Orb, Light Ball, Light Clay, Lucky Egg, Magnet, Max Elixir, Max Ether, Max Potion, Max Repel, Max Revive, Metal Coat, Metronome, Miracle Seed, MooMoo Milk, Moon Stone, Mystic Water, NeverMeltIce, Nugget, Old Gateau, Paralyze Heal, Pass Orb, Pearl, Pearl String, Pokedoll, Poke Toy, Potion, PP Max, PP Up, Prism Scale, Protein, Rare Candy, Razor Fang, Red Flute, Red Shard, Relic Band, Relic Copper, Relic Crown, Relic Gold, Relic Silver, Relic Statue, Relic Vase, Repel, Revival Herb, Revive, Sacred Ash, Scope Lens, Shell Bell, Shoal Salt, Shoal Shell, Smoke Ball, Soda Pop, Soul Dew, Spell Tag, Stable Mulch, Star Piece, Stardust, Sun Stone, Super Potion, Super Repel, Sweet Heart, Thunderstone, TinyMushroom, Toxic Orb, TwistedSpoon, Up-Grade, Water Stone, White Flute, X Accuracy, X Attack, X Defend, X Special, X Sp. Def, X Speed, Yellow Flute, Yellow Shard, Zinc
- 20 power
- Clever Wing, Genius Wing, Health Wing, Muscle Wing, Pretty Wing, Resist Wing, Swift Wing
- 10 power
- Air Balloon, All Berries, Big Root, Blue Scarf, BrightPowder, Choice Band, Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, Destiny Knot, Expert Belt, Focus Band, Focus Sash, Full Incense, Green Scarf, Lagging Tail, Lax Incense, Leftovers, Luck Incense, Mental Herb, Metal Powder, Muscle Band, Odd Incense, Pink Scarf, Power Herb, Pure Incense, Quick Powder, Reaper Cloth, Red Card, Red Scarf, Ring Target, Rock Incense, Rose Incense, Sea Incense, Shed Shell, Silk Scarf, SilverPowder, Smooth Rock, Soft Sand, Soothe Bell, Wave Incense, White Herb, Wide Lens, Wise Glasses, Yellow Scarf, Zoom Lens
Some items have additional effects when Flung:
- Flame Orb
- Burns the target.
- King's Rock
- Flinches the target.
- Light Ball
- Paralyzes the target.
- Poison Barb
- Poisons the target.
- Razor Fang
- Flinches the target.
- Toxic Orb
- Badly poisons the target.
- All Berries activate on the target when Flung.
- White Herb
- Removes all negative stat levels on the target.
- Mental Herb
- Removes the effects of infatuation, Taunt, Encore, Torment, Disable, and Cursed Body on the target.
Fling is most famously seen on Gliscor. Holding a Toxic Orb, Gliscor can activate its Poison Heal ability, then Fling away the Orb, potentially inflicting Toxic poison on a target. Once Gliscor is no longer holding an item, the Base Power of its STAB Acrobatics will double.
Flinging an Iron Ball generates a 130 Base Power Dark-type attack, but will halve the user's Speed until Flung. Yet, this is still an option for Pokemon that are desperate to get rid of Psychic- or Ghost-type threats and have no other move with which to break through them. An example is Hitmonlee in RU, where Flinging an Iron Ball at Misdreavus will put the Ghost into KO range of Stone Edge, where before Hitmonlee would face getting burned by Will-O-Wisp before being able to KO it.