|Warnings are given for various rule-breaking offenses. They can be worth 1 or 2 points and last 21 or 60 days depending on the offense and severity of each case. If someone is caught repeating the same offense, a 90 day Repeated Offense warning is given. Note that except for Spam and Illegal Activities, Firebot posts are usually not warned.
If you receive 3 points total at any time, you will be moved to the "I could be banned!" usergroup, which will entail reduced posting rights, in addition to a visible title showing your decreased status in the community.
If you receive 4 points total at any time, you will be banned until one of the 4 points expires.
Here is a list of the different types of warnings that can be given by a moderator:
Bad Sportsmanship: (1 Point, 21 Days) This warning is for players who do not conduct themselves appropriately in the Tournaments or WiFi Battle forums. Players are allowed to express their displeasure, but moderator discretion will be used for when the line is crossed. Note that, since tournament battles are extensions of the Tournaments forum, egregious misconduct in battles is liable for punishment as well; this goes for official IRC channels, such as #pokemon, as well.
Forum Specific Rule: (1 Point, 21 Days) This warning is given for breaking a rule that only applies to the forum the post is in. This is one of the most common warnings in the Pokémon and the Site & Project forums. Good examples include someone giving a bad team rate with no battling experience to back it up, posting a Peer Edit without proper format or not listing an entire team in RMT. Please read the Rules Sticky in each forum to understand what these rules are. When you are warned with this, a moderator will tell you which rule you broke.
Incoherent Post: (1 Point, 21 Days) Generally, this category entails use of chat speak or leetspeak. Other posts that can be warned with this category include posts that use excessive heavy coloring and posts that have to be deciphered before they can be read properly. Accidental typos are acceptable, but intentional mistakes (such as "liek" or substituting numbers for letters) are not tolerated.
Junior Modding: (1 Point, 21 Days) This one has some fine lining to it. People commanding the moderators in any way (such as "move this to Trou", "this thread should be locked") is usually what this warning is for. "In before lock", or anything similar is surefire Junior Modding. Telling other members that they've broken a rule in a civil matter is acceptable.
Lurk More: (1 Point, 21 Days) If there was a vague definition of this, it would be "he just doesn't get it". Usually, this is someone breaking a Smogon-wide rule that is not covered by another warning. A good example of this is someone making a thread in Smeargle's Studio asking about Pokémon. This warning is oftentimes similar to Forum Specific Rule.
Multiple Posting/Flooding: (1 Point, 21 Days) People who do not know where the edit button is get this one. Civil double posts (can often be recognized by something like "sorry for the double post, but for emphasis I believe I'm going to have to start a new one here") will often be excused - clearly the poster is aware of what he's doing. Anyone spamming up the forums in a malicious manner will actually be banned outright as soon as possible, so do not mix that up.
Thread Necromancy: (1 Point, 21 Days) Do not bump old threads. Making meaningless posts in threads that have long since died is strictly prohibited. If you have something of consequence you’d like to add to a thread that has fallen off the front page, feel free to do so. All “bump”, “to the top”, etc. posts will be warned and deleted without exception. If someone actually adds something to the thread, they will not be warned for it. Like with double posting, often times this is paired with "I'm bumping this because...". Note that Contributions & Corrections is an exception to this rule. Keep in mind that mods can see deleted posts, so no stealth bumping either.
Advertising: (2 Points, 60 Days) This one is simple, as long as you know where to put the line between "this site has the answer to your question" and "this site is awesome, check it out, www.otherwebsite.com".
Creating Multiple Accounts: (2 Points, 60 Days) If you create another account to actively use on the forums, for whatever reason, it will be banned and your main account will be warned.
Insulted Other Member(s): (2 Points, 60 Days) Someone insulting, insinuating, or otherwise calling out a member in a rude way. Insulting includes calling names, telling someone to shut the fuck up, saying he sucks, etc. Note that saying a set or a move is stupid is not insulting a member, merely their ideas. Of course, if you do it without backing up your argument, you could be warned under the Lurk More category.
Disrespected Staff: (2 Points, 60 Days) Same as above, except it is directed at Moderators+. This warning is usually reserved for people who send dumb and disrespectful replies to warnings.
Repeated Offense: (2 Points, 90 Days) If someone was warned for something before and he or she does it again, this warning will be given out.
Trolling: (2 Points, 60 Days) The general internet definition of trolling tends to be "trying to lure a negative reaction", generally done by playing Devil's advocate in a really extreme and annoying way. Stupid RMTs with 6 Wurmples fall under this too. This one is hard to draw an exact line for, but generally the moderators will know it when they see it, and their decisions are final.
Illegal Activities: (1 Point, 21 Days) Linking to ROMs, Warez, etc. is forbidden. Discussions of ROM hacking and patching and emulators are allowed. It's just piracy that isn't.
Plagiarism: (3 Point, 90 Days) Passing off someone else's writing as your original work in C&C, The Smog, or any other workshop for future onsite material. Plagiarism is considered a very serious offense that disqualifies you from almost any position of trust. Don't do it.
Malicious Account: (4 Points, indefinite) This warning is reserved for a quick ban on advertising bots; if you are reading this FAQ now, you will never receive this warning. The only other time this warning can be used is if the purpose of your account is to threaten Smogon with a cyberattack or a Smogon user with violence.
|Badge & Trophy FAQ|
Badges are bestowed upon users who contribute positively to Smogon in a significant way. Users are badged as a sign of recognition for the type of work they have done for the site. Trophies are given to the winners of Smogon's most prestigious Tournaments. Badges are given out completely at the discretion of the Smogon administration, and imply a recognition of effort, maturity on the forums and in any Smogon chat, and the responsibility all badged users share: improving the site.
Users with at least one badge have their account upgraded from Registered User to Community Member and gain the ability to lock and delete their own topics, use attachments, have slightly larger avatars, and change their custom title. In addition, it also expands the PM inbox and grants some editing access to articles on the site. Badged users should be sure to read the SCMS Tutorial in Contributions and Corrections to learn how to make use of their access! Badged users are also welcome to participate in internal site discussions.
Any users who want to contribute to Smogon are always encouraged to do so, but remember that being badged is a special recognition and a privilege. As such, asking to be badged is never a good idea, and doing so will never hasten the process. Hard work does not go unnoticed, but neither do overzealous senses of entitlement. Most badges have an associated Badge Leader who is responsible for identifying and nominating new candidates. A list of Badge Leaders can be found here.
Here are the different classes of badges and how to get them:
- User is a Tiering Contributor. Tiering Contributors have made a concerted effort to contribute to the creation, modification, and facilitation of the Policies that shape both the present and future of competitive Pokémon. In addition, Tiering Contributors are members of any of our tiering councils (Ubers, OU, UU, RU, NU, and Little Cup currently), as well as other users who have voted on multiple occasions. The badge is activity based, meaning a users has this badge only while they are a council member. An alumnus version of this badge is granted for those who either lead a tier or made significant contributions to the tiering process.
- User is a Pre-Contributor. Pre-Contributors are helpful in the Contributions & Corrections forum, regularly posting and editing articles for the site. Users may also earn the Pre-Contributor badge for being extremely positive influences in other parts of the forums. It can also be given out as a "trial" badge for users who are close to obtaining a badge, but still need a push in the right direction for that particular badge. Pre-Contributor is considered an easy-to-get and easy-to-lose badge. If another badge is awarded to a user with this badge, the Pre-Contributor badge will be removed.
- User is a Contributor. Contributors write and edit articles for the site. Note that being recognized as a contributor requires a significant amount of quality content submitted to the site, such as guides, articles, and analyses. Users who have not already been badged will very rarely be awarded a contributor badge. Visit the Contributions & Corrections forum for more information.
- User is a Tutor. Tutors help new members become acquainted with the competitive aspect of battling. Tutor badges are awarded after several rounds of high-quality tutoring - simply being accepted as a tutor does not earn you a badge. For more information about the tutor & apprentice system, please check the Battling 101 Forum.
- User is a Community Contributor. This badge is awarded to those who have contributed to the forums by posting and leading high quality discussion in our discussion forums. In addition, this badge can have other applications for superb work in areas that are not presently recognized by another badge. This is a badge that is maintained only with high levels of activity.
- User is a Programmer. Programmers fix bugs and add features on Smogon projects.
- User is a Researcher. Researchers contribute in-game data and mechanics to Smogon, in order to help keep simulator mechanics up to date and as accurate as possible. Visit the research thread for more information.
- User is a Smogon Artist. Artists contributes pieces of their artwork to the site. Visit Smeargle's Studio for more information.
- User is a recognized Team Rater. Team Raters provide frequent constructive advice to those who post in topics in the Rate My Team forum.
- User is a Smogon Site Staff Member. Site Staff Members can cache edits to the site and are determined by experience and trust, in addition to helpfulness in several areas of the website.
- User is a Tournament Director. Tournament directors manage the official Smogon tournament, Smogon tour, and approve other tournaments. Many users with this badge also moderate the Tournaments Forum. Visit the Tournaments forum for more information.
- User is a Moderator of the Smogon Pokemon Showdown! Battle Server. PS Moderators are determined by experience and availability and are picked on a need basis.
- User is an Administrator of the Smogon Pokemon Showdown! Battle Server. PS Administrators are picked on a subjective basis by the site administration.
- User is a Contributor to Smogon Media. Smogon Media Contributors contribute significant amounts of material to many of Smogon's online outlets, such as The Smog, The Competitor, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- User is a #pokemon AOp. These users are active on IRC in #pokemon, and lead mature conversations.
- User is a #pokemon SOp. These users are the ones who run #pokemon. They are responsible for choosing who gets voice and ops in the channel, in addition to the duties they had as AOps.
- User is a Forum Moderator. This user is very knowledgeable and active in a few subforums of this site, and has the ability to moderate those forums.
- User is a Super Moderator. These users have been helpful throughout all of Smogon and are considered forum leaders. They can moderate any forum.
- User is an Administrator. These users are responsible for the running the site and make many of the important decisions involving the site.
It should be noted that all badges are based on constant activity, except Contributor, Programmer, Researcher, and Artist. These badges are permanent. Do not think that once you're badged you can just stop contributing though; that shows poor attitude. Any and all badges can be stripped for having a bad attitude, and badged users can be infracted. Being badged means you should hold yourself to a higher standard of maturity in the forum and on the server, which is why a person would be badged in the first place along with contributions.
If a badged person has made significant contributions to the site and/or forums but stops contributing, he/she can be rewarded with one of the Alumni badges. These greyed out versions of the normal badges show the great appreciation the Smogon staff has for the Alumnus' contributions. Being awarded an Alumni badge is a great honor.
Trophies are like badges in that they go on your profile under your username, but carry none of the privileges that a badge does. They are awarded for winning the Official Smogon Tournament, Smogon Tour, World Cup of Pokémon, Smogon Premier League, Smogon VGC Tournament, beating the Smogon Frontier, or by winning The Pokemon Company International's Video Game World Championship.
Here is a list of trophies that are held by various users:
- The Official Smogon Tournament #1 Trophy is held by cholena.
- The Official Smogon Tournament #2 Trophy is held by noobster.
- The Official Smogon Tournament #3 Trophy is held by Loki.
- The Official Smogon Tournament #4 Trophy is held by goofball.
- The Official Smogon Tournament #5 Trophy is held by august.
- The Official Smogon Tournament #6 Trophy is held by hanke.
- The Official Smogon Tournament #7 Trophy is held by imperfectluck.
- The Official Smogon Tournament #8 Trophy is held by Snunch.
- The Smogon Tour #1 Trophy is held by Veteran In Love.
- The Smogon Tour #2 Trophy is held by Pokemon Professor.
- The Smogon Tour #3 Trophy is held by Veteran In Love.
- The Smogon Tour #4 Trophy is held by goofball.
- The Smogon Tour #5 Trophy is held by Giga Punch.
- The Smogon Tour #6 Trophy is held by Earthworm.
- The Smogon Tour #7 Trophy is held by Loki.
- The Smogon Tour #8 Trophy is held by DarkLucario.
- The Smogon Tour #9 Trophy is held by Zak91.
- The Smogon Tour #10 Trophy is held by Delta 2777.
- The Smogon Tour #11 Trophy is held by Golden Sun.
- The Smogon Tour #12 Trophy is held by Kevin Garrett.
- The Smogon Tour #13 Trophy is held by ToF.
- The Smogon Frontier Trophy is held by Atticus, Bloo, Gouki, and Philip7086.
- The Smogon VGC Tournament #1 Trophy is held by Tyler.
- The Smogon VGC Tournament #2 Trophy is held by kingofkongs.
- The VGC 2009 Juniors World Champion Trophy is held by AlphaOmega.
- The VGC 2010 Seniors World Champion Trophy is held by BlueCookies.
- The VGC 2011 Masters World Champion Trophy is held by BlueCookies.
- The VGC 2011 Seniors World Champion Trophy is held by kamz.
- The Smogon Premier League Trophy is currently held by The Alpha Ruiners, consisting of:
- The World Cup of Pokémon Trophy is currently held by USA West, consisting of: