The Art of Lorak's Oasis

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus

@ all who ask: To avoid the same repeated question, if I draw something, you're more than welcome to use it as an av, just toss a little credit my way. Like in your signature, or your locations, saying I drew it... it's all I ask, really...

OP Updated on 08/28/2009, with art from up to Page 33 below this line, and the Poke Balls drawn (as of this edit) recently above for easy access having Apricorn Balls added to it. Other art caches can be found here:
Stuff from page 34 to January 12th's art
January 13th to April 12th

Those of you who offer Pokemon for my art, in a very effective way to boost the odds I'll do I piece for you, know that, even if it is free, I refuse to accept Pokesaved, Quick Hatched, or Insta-PokeRadar-Reset Pokemon. If I have accepted one in the past from you, please inform me, so I may release it or return the copy to you.

So... yeah. Some poses and stuff are based off of other art I've seen. Mimicry... adoration... that's good, right? ^_^;

EDIT: Thought I'd add all my art from pages to post one to make it easier to navigate and see...

Some other pictures drawn after coming to Smogon, including a few of my designs for the Create a Pokemon II stuff:

And a quick piece I drew for a friend...

In the vein of Cooper's post... I'd love to see a Cyndaquil with a blue bandanna (like in Mystery Dungeon) or an Umbreon.
Should be more manageable. I didn't have a good morning, so the Cyndaquil's... angry! >:O

Try, dang it, try! I like that Espeon. But Regice is still my favorite.
But my Lucario hates to pose for pictures! The camera flash scares him!

Now... I happen to like old-school Dragonite more. So, no head horn for you!

And I kind of liked those eyes more. Admittedly... I'm poor at drawing eyes. And fingers. You know, the usual inexperienced/casual artist flaws.*shakes fist*

Jumpluff knew that its trainer had put him in a situation with the odds against him, so many years back. His trainer really wanted to catch that purple Wailord, and with valid reason. Still... given the outcome of the battle, that of failure, and the Wailord even escaping... He couldn't respect his trainer's decision to keep pursuing that blasted Wailord...

Eh... yeah. I was trying to hide part of his face behind his shoulder... didn't come out well.

On a side note, more art in preparation of the end of my (very short, very successful) Omanyte project! {NOTE: This was Project Omanyte A, which ended in a day. Unlike the three-week Project Omanyte B.}

@ Kenshin: Might not be able to... a possibly epic art project might be in my future, cutting down my side art free time...

Now that I finished breeding my Rapid Spinning, Screeching Kabuto... got lazy, mimicked the traditional pose.

And a random Koffing.

As they say... that's using your melon!

Nice. Your Regice is really good, so I was wondering if you had done other stuff. Good to see you have. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Can I request a Lucario, even though you've made no notice of taking requests? I get angst-y if my avatar doesn't change every once in a while.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Thanks, Cooper; it honestly makes me glad to hear positive feedback.

Some other pictures drawn after coming to Smogon, including a few of my designs for the Create a Pokemon II stuff:

And a quick piece I drew for a friend...

I love your inking style- really adds spice to your art. The Espeon and ghost-looking Regi are my favorites. :)

In the vein of Cooper's post... I'd love to see a Cyndaquil with a blue bandanna (like in Mystery Dungeon) or an Umbreon.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
The Espeon and ghost-looking Regi are my favorites. :)
Oh wow that pokemon that looks like a dark registeel is awesome.
Thanks! That proto-Pokemon had a few nicknames: my name for it was Regisurp, someone else called it Reginoir, as it was rightfully based on a hybrid of Registeel and Dusknoir.

I love your inking style- really adds spice to your art.
I can't take all the credit. I do the art, but Photoshop Elements (the cheap version of Photoshop that I still use from the old CD that still works) and Flash really pull through and help, the latter more than the former.

EDIT: Can I request a Lucario, even though you've made no notice of taking requests? I get angst-y if my avatar doesn't change every once in a while.
Not sure if I can handle it; that blue puppy's a pile of complication.

Should be more manageable. I didn't have a good morning, so the Cyndaquil's... angry! >:O

EDIT: Picture Archive, part 2:

Weezing please.

Or a slowking. I will love you forever if you do :D

Actually, I'll trade you a adamant ditto with 30/31/31/27/23/17 if you make one (or both) of them.
And if I put them in the same picture? Is that alright?
EDIT: You took too long to answer, thus your Slowking must suffer.

Slowking: OH GOD WHY DO THINGS KEEP LATCHING TO MY FREAKING HEAD? D:

I do, however, have a "modest" Omanyte I tried to draw differently than my "bold" one. Done on the train (bumps =/= fun for graphics pad) in about... oh, 40 minutes.

Hey, i've been looking at your work and i absolutely love your style. While it may not be the most detailed out there it's quirky and cartoony and i really like it.

So i have a request for you--no more pokemon, i think you're quite capped when it comes to those requests.

I was wondering if you could do a more cartoony version of my current Avatar? I'm growing tired of this one but i wouldn't dare change it to anything else, so i was wondering if you could possibly re-do it?

I'm curious to see what you could do with it.
Well, I'm sure I'd do something similar to it, not wanting to stray too far from the design, but possibly including some variations in hues, for contrast, as an example.

Short story: no.
Long story: no, because I fail at quadrupeds, or so it seems tonight. Leafeon is not co-operating, so unless you want me to go SD on them both, you'll have to settle for just Glaceon. If it's not up to par, don't worry about sending me one of your in-game Glaceons.

... Okay, sorry, folks... I tried to take a picture of my Dodrio, but it wasn't too cooperative tonight. It decided to bolt and almost got out of my Ball's recall range. I managed to snap one reference picture before recalling it, but it wasn't a good reference... I still decided to sketch from it. Sorry again, folks.

And... Artist art!

Inspired by Everstone's Smeargle giveaway. That, and I wanted to draw a crapload of attacks coming out of a Smeargle's tail.

Posted yesterday, but I deleted the old messages and decided to move the post to a new page.

Can you make a Garchomp or a Blaziken?
Possibly.

Would a Starmie be out of the question?
It possibly would be.

could you pleeease do a haunter?
Haunter: Are we done holding up the game yet? D:

So, today I learned that Skill Link Icicle Spear Cloyster can be a viable counter to Yache Berry-holding Garchomp. What glee it filled me with, knowing I had two to put into my future thread from my Rapid Spin Cloyster project! To celebrate... Art!

(Click image for large version.)

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE FUNNY QUOTES IN SIGNATURES. {Note: See the quote in Trainer's signature.}

Now you know what I meant when I said what I said when I posted it. I couldn't resist. :P Also, art alert. :D

I'll probably do a better head later. Just had a bad yesterday.

Oh, and DBB, I might as well post the Chimecho. Hope you can find some use for it in the thread, if not in a banner, then elsewhere.

Just finished my last pre-shop breeding project today, and feeling pretty good about it. The gem of Sandgem, Anorith. There will be projects after I open the shop, of course, but this is just the last one I wanted to do before opening.

My, oh, my, how fun Sableye is to draw...

*does not feel like shading this at the moment* D:

And things are just ducky...

Normalish style Flygon:

could i get an avatar of that Regice you drew? Just Regice by itself without all the others in there.
Mhm.

(Click for full-size desktop, 1280x800)

I just got a horrible idea for Swampert, and am now acting... EDIT: Acted... on it.

Will get to Metagross after that. EDIT: Did that. :D Decided for a looser, more interpretive feel.

Milotic is done and laying pretty.
Milotic looks kinda weird..just it's eyes. Looks drugged/stoned or really apathetic.
I was going for the bored look. You know, like a superstar who is tired of having her picture taken. After all, it is "considered to be the most beautiful of all Pokémon, it has been depicted in paintings and statues." You'd get tired of so many pieces of art done of you too, after a while.

Lol nice Gengar. I just had an idea..

Could you do a Smeargle with a brown cap painting on an easel?
No. :P But you can get a hastily done, thinly-veiled reference!

Great, can I have a Muchlax eating a cake, but also sharing it with the companion cube?

And Ludicolo's done! I put a bit more time into this piece than others I've recently done, in terms of coming up with a pose.

I think a Sharpedo would look disasterously like this:

Mind doing..... Tropius!
I do, actually, P_L. :( *makes note that it, indeed, is a quadruped*

I wonder if you could do a Heracross with a Choice Band on it's head, it would like to see how it looks like with your Drawing style which is pretty amazing.
On its head, or horn? The horn'll be hard to see, but the head'll cover important facial features. I'm doing horn for now.

Make it doing a

-_-

expression.

That or a girl azumarill with a pink festive bow on its head.

>.>

i suck.
Or both, kinda.

I sure didn't just do a recolor for no reason whatsoever... >.>

Your thread is beast. :D
I love the drawings, very original. I tried to draw a square once... it looked like a cabbage.

Just wanted you to know.
Thank you much.

I'll have you know, the same thing happened to me, just today...

I've been a busy person this morning... busy with art! I assure you, Drifblim will get done, but fiiiiiirst...

(And yes, before anyone asks, Attack Forme Deoxys is my favorite.)

Drifblim is done.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Try, dang it, try! I like that Espeon. But Regice is still my favorite.
But my Lucario hates to pose for pictures! The camera flash scares him!

EDIT: Picture archive, part 3:
I'm going to be skipping Ursaring for a bit; I've had a Registeel I've been meaning to do since the Ruby salvage of that really cool Adamant one I transferred to Emerald, loaded with BF moves, cloned, transferred the clone to Pearl, and had hack-checked. Of course, even through the PID and such was legal, I consider the Registeel mostly legit, but can't prove its legitimacy 100%. I hope people don't mind it...

EDIT: Done with Registeel.

Per a request, uploading Tangela separately, then the changes to the Ursaring av, though I'm not fond of them:

And Xatu request... plus a bit of my bad sense of humor, about to happen after these pics...

"Xatu'ya buyin'? Xatu'ya selling? I'll Xatu at a high price! Xatu any time, stranger..."

In and out real quick; I decided to try a different style without the thick black lines for Spiritomb. I'm partial to them, but figured it wouldn't look good with what I had planned.

And done. :D Misdreavus has always been an oddly-solid ghost to me. I had to confirm it for myself in PBR, but... very not transparent, it seems.

CaP Stuff:
It's a bit more Bug than I anticipated, but...

The cannon on its back fires a highly corrosive acid, capable of melting though steel doors in under three seconds. Its nervous system is partially exposed, making it vulnerable when above the ground.

We could always load that cannon up with other things for setting up, if need be, like caltrops.
Nice, art. :o
Would you mind doing a Snorlax for me?
Mehbeh. ~o~

Lorak, your Create-A-Pokemon submission is really intriguing. Would you mind if I used it as my avatar? If so, I will give you full credit in my signature.
Sure!

Also, I've done a few "re-interpretations" of other entries through my art style, with the expressed permission of the original artists.

I won't recommend using these as avatars without the permissions of their originators (Absolution and Darth Meanie, respectively.)

Did an old art request while waiting for / in transport.

And for the trade thread:

Posting a few of the other CaP posts here.
How could I miss the most obvious Poison/Ground design possible!?

A Pokemon responsible for the traumatic poisoning of many unprepared Trainers, who knew not of this species. Records show these Trainers stocked up on many varieties of Poke Balls and Repels, and had access to a device known as a "Poke Radar", before walking directly into the lure of this Pokemon.

Also, I was bored, so video editing. Yay. :V

And now, as seen on CaP 4's Art Submission Thread:

(I didn't see any rule against evolutions. ;_;)

(My salvage attempt!)

Been a busy week, and will be a busy weekend, so only one picture today. Warned you about the slowdown. :P

I have a list of the requests I think I can fill, but can't get to just yet.

And this is why you don't cry for art. :|

There will be another piece of art tonight... however, I need to fire up a copy of an old game to use as a reference for part of the piece... Look forward to it!

EDIT: Done sooner than I thought. :D In celebration of getting Hypnosis/Nightmare Mew up and running... Enjoy this blast from the past.

Special sort of update today, once you won't see again for a while. So, I got a couple keychain Poke Balls, and had a go at painting them. :D Also, a Porygon-Z I sculpted a while back.

Coincidentally... Mew was also done for this thread's 10,000 view mark.
could you possibly make a geodude eating popcorn
Yeah, but you don't get much face on it...

Hey Lorak, could you draw me a Quick Ball just like the one I have in my avatar, same size and everything. The only changes I want are a white (invisible?) background and none of Sunday's additions, lol. So basically, a 100 x 100 pixel Quick Ball, Lorak-style. I'll pay you with something from my section of my thread.
Weeeeeeeell... sure. :D Lemme know if you want the hues adjusted at all.

Shiny Kangaskhan is shiny. Well, not really. It's dang hard to tell the difference. :| Meet my new Naive LeafGreen Safari Zone Pokemon.

OH NOEZ INFINITE RECURSION.
Drat! It seems my Machamp and Ledian requests got a bit jumbled... one pose and one Pokemon got crossed.

And just a quick doodle, been busy in RL, and with a few projects.
Timid #145 Zapdos: 30 - 31 / 30 - 31 / 0 - 1 / 0 - 1 / 20 - 21 / 6 - 7

Who wants one?
It could make a lovely hat!
I don't see what the big deal is... all you have to...

... Um... right.
Say Lorak, have you tried Bronzong yet? In your style it'd look aweome.
Until you said that, I hadn't. Now, I can say I have.

Damn..the only guys I have left are either Zangoose or Flygon.

That Bronzong looking 100% okay for a floating ritual bell.
Well, I've gone that one lab coat Flygon, and Zangoose... well, Zangoose wasn't interested in taking a cool pose. Or being drawn at all. Just sort of put up with it.

Can you just draw one normally? Or use wonder guard or something.
Behold, Shedinja, using its Wonder Guard!

Lorak. Because all the cool kids are doing it.

Hope you dont mind me using zong as an avvy =D
No prob at all; go right ahead!
On that note, would you mind drawing a Cranidos? I think it would be really interesting in your style.
Yay, residual name memory. :D
I can give it a try, but it might be a bit tricky.

Special Lorak art update:
Just beat FireRed with a (possibly) interesting team: Clefairy, Nidoqueen, Seadra, Scyther, Primeape, and Parasect (Paras traded from other game for Charmander ASAP, used as proxy starter, wasn't easy. xD). Clefairy evolved into Magic Guard in DP, so I didn't evolve it in FR (cloned and Pal Parked to check; Scyther becomes Technician Scizor).

Might draw the others in action, if I feel like it, later.
I love your pictures! You're one of the best Pokemon artists I've seen. Is there anyway you can attempt to draw a picture of Staraptor dressed up as Captain Falcon? That would be epic. :naughty:
You're lucky I'm in a good mood. :P

Bad pun alert: highlight to read.
Show me your moves! :V

Man, more and more awesome pictures, I love them!

Any chance you could do a shiny Starly Lorak? Or perhaps a shiny Chansey? They'd go well with the tournament on WiFi :D.
Chansey*, use Softboiled!

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! D:
could you make a regal wynaut?
Tired Lorak is tired. .____.

Tried to do this off of an isometric view I found of Cranidos, and I realized something: I don't like isometry. :(

Requesting a Meowth as he has been my favorite pokemon since I was like 7.

That would be epic, thanks.
Bipedal, or quadruped?
I have really been admiring your work-I was wondering could you do a hitmonlee smashing wood with his feet?
Maybe.

Honestly... how the hell is Birch afraid of a Level 2 Poochyena in Emerald? You could probably just kick it in the face and make it faint...

Gonna be a low-density art day; my current (secretish) project is rather focus-intensive, so...
And now, BECAUSE I CAN: >:|

So uhhh, did you give up on my feraligatr? :(
Not yet, no.
You want hilarious? I'll give you hilarious... was working on this one over the course of two days. I still don't know why this hasn't been done before.

EDIT: Made Cloyster darker. Should've referenced the sprite.
Shedinja, Metang and Palkia-on-Cloyster were simply the best, I say! I should come here more often.
As should everyone. :V I mean... thanks. ^_^

On a sidenote, could you make a drawing of a Gardevoir dancing? Or maybe laughing at a poor Heatran trying to Fire Blast her (as she had Traced its Flash Fire). Or both.
Decided the second, though I decided to interpret it a bit differently, amd in the process make Gardy a bit cooler. Though you invoked the wrath of the quadruped upon yourself, Arael. :|

And Poliwag.

*sighs* I'm just not feeling it on Feraligatr, sorry... Not sure if I'll be able to do it.
Wow! That looks awesome! *Avatars* (If you don't mind)
All I ask for is the usual location or signature credit I ask of all others, if nothing else.
Kopie][quote] Quote: Originally Posted by Fat [B]Kopie[/B] [URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1369561#post1369561 said:
[/URL]
Do donphan! :X

I'm not that kind of person.
OMG, I BEG U DO KECLEON INSTEAD :O PLSSSS I want to use it as an avatar ^^[/quote]
Lorak said:
Maybe. .__.
And... Kecleon is... done? Where'd it go? ... >.>
Wait, found it.

Found it.

Manaphy's done. ಠ_ಠ

Idea lovingly ripped off from SWChill:

Yaaaay, Thanks :3

Sorry for the baaawther
No prob; all I ask is what I usually ask for.
If they had gotten a better donor than Jango Fett, the Kaminoans would've needed far fewer Clone Troopers...

I was wondering... you said Macromedia Flash Pro 8, does that mean it's the animating thing cause I don't get how you draw with that...
Yes, it's an animation program. And there a number of tools usable, though I typically use just the brush tool, and many layers.

WAY LATER EDIT: Just a quick sketch of the Moltres* I caught.

Art update. :V

*sketch*

Yeah, here is a half decent idea for a pose... the D/P ones are too symmetrical. The quality sucks because I don't have a scanner, i used my iphone
Now I feel bad, because I based mine on the DP pose... :(

hm..
MUST THINK.
lorak, im willing to make a video to tell people to come check out your art if you will do a dusnoir with a pokemon half way in it's mouth and it just having a "^^;" look on his face.
i'll credit you on my channel too =D
Liiiiiiiiike this?

ok, I have a challenge for you
I want you to take my best custom sprite and Lorak-ize it

have fun :p
it has red pupils looking towards the left in case u couldn't see them
Seriously, what the heck is going on with that head? :(
Tried the best I could based on the sprite.

@ the person who declares the sport of volleying a somewhat small, fuzzy, yellow ball over a waist-high net by swinging handheld devices, whose meshed concussive end is far wider than its handle, to be a most splendid activity: Saw it, decided against.

Hey lorak. Remember me? lol. I love your art. Could you make me a bulbasaur avitar? I would love it. And of course I'd give you credit.
All the way back from June 24th...

AHHH! Cyndaquil's so adorable! It looks so different from its usual meek self. Do you mind if I use it as my avatar and credit it to you?

Btw, I assume you use the pen tool in photoshop? If so, how do you use it, because I can't, for the life of me, figure it out... >_>

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
AHHH! Cyndaquil's so adorable! It looks so different from its usual meek self. Do you mind if I use it as my avatar and credit it to you?

Btw, I assume you use the pen tool in photoshop? If so, how do you use it, because I can't, for the life of me, figure it out... >_>
Yeah, sure, go right ahead, though I realized I forgot his back-dots.

I actually use a somewhat sloppy job on the brush tool of Flash, with some adjust curve options. Pen tool is much more precise and neater, but requires much more patience, and isn't so good for a quick art job.

could you try a dusknoir, with water type attributes mixed in?
if you could, i would give you credit on my vids for it as a logo. (if i like it, which i most likely will because i like all of your work so far.)

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Can I use it as my avatar?
Sure thing. Maybe he tried to use Psychic instead of flinching from the flash. Maybe I'm giving my Lucario too much credit. :X

Can you maybe try Typhlosion or Dusknoir? :P
S'a possibility on both. Having drawn the Cyndaquil recently puts me in a blah mood on Typhlosion, and Dusknoir... well, it's arrghworthy.

LOVE the Espeon.
*cheers* Thanks!

could you try a dusknoir, with water type attributes mixed in?
if you could, i would give you credit on my vids for it as a logo. (if i like it, which i most likely will because i like all of your work so far.)
Probably could. Kind of hard for me to express water through Flash, though...

The celebi is cute.
^__^
... Wha?

Requesting Dragonite or/and Azelf.
EDIT: *points down two posts*

@ all requests: May be delayed a while, as I'm still trying to breed a kick-ass Shellder for an eventual shop here.

Coincidentally, if I exclude Regice, all Pokemon I've bred/SRed for have concealed faces with eyes visible (XD Tangela, XD Duskull, Lileep, Shellder) (could say Regice if you really want to stretch it.) This trend will continue to Kabuto, and will end when I breed Anorith subsequently.

Oh wow, this art is awsome... Everything you draw seems to have a striking resemblence to something in okami.

Fantastic work!

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Now... I happen to like old-school Dragonite more. So, no head horn for you!

And I kind of liked those eyes more. Admittedly... I'm poor at drawing eyes. And fingers. You know, the usual inexperienced/casual artist flaws.*shakes fist*

Approx. time: ~30 minutes.

would liek to see your interpretation of jumpluff.

with an eyepatch and pirate bandana preferably.

my two greatest loves: jumpluff and pirates.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Jumpluff knew that its trainer had put him in a situation with the odds against him, so many years back. His trainer really wanted to catch that purple Wailord, and with valid reason. Still... given the outcome of the battle, that of failure, and the Wailord even escaping... He couldn't respect his trainer's decision to keep pursuing that blasted Wailord...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)