Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope that this boosts support for the SBP of this month.
Hopefully they will have a side Tourtament at the Championships so I can possibly join. JAA had a better set up though...

Shoot, I didn't realize I'd have to somehow get to either New York or Los Angeles to play in the qualifying round. I'm really far away from both cities!

Screw this.

To those of you wondering what methods Nintendo will be using to check for sharked Pokemon, it's very unlikely they will be "hex checking" based on how they handled past events, in fact they may not even know as much about it as we do. However, using AR/Pokesav does delete part of the save data so if they were going to check anything thoroughly at all, it would be that. Everything just has to look legal and the cart should be shark-free, like for JAA.

Whooo, I am totally there. Like less than an hour away from LA. rules sound stupid, but the prizes are more than spectacular. o_O

Now all I have to do is start playing doubles. >_>

To those of you wondering what methods Nintendo will be using to check for sharked Pokemon, it's very unlikely they will be "hex checking" based on how they handled past events, in fact they may not even know as much about it as we do. However, using AR/Pokesav does delete part of the save data so if they were going to check anything thoroughly at all, it would be that. Everything just has to look legal and the cart should be shark-free, like for JAA.
So AR cloning means you get a Bad End?

So AR cloning means you get a Bad End?
I'd be safe and start a new file and trade all your guys over to it, yes. AR does mess up part of the save data, invisibly unless they want to check it more thoroughly. While it's unlikely they will check individual Pokemon unless they're obviously illegal (they never did for JAA iirc), checking the save file for signs of AR use is a lot easier.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For the last tournament (gamestop), they pretty much just made sure you didn't have Arceus in your pokedex.

I bet they'd get me for playing off a flashcart, though :P

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
  1. Has anyone registered yet?
  2. If so, are the questions retarded like the minigame questions in Pokemon stadium two?
  3. And can you use Serebi or something to look for the answers or is there a time limit?
  4. Can you register multiple accounts on the site to take the test multiple times?
  5. And if you pass the test or whatever, are you allowed to play at the event, or do they then pick the people at random?

"The 2008 POKÉMON® Video Game Showdown (“Tournament”) is open only to legal residents of the fifty United States..."

Apparently Canadians are ineligible for the Tourney again.
Curses, foiled again. Looks like it will be a while before I get to compete in an official tournament.

However, this "Showdown" tournament seems to have rather stupid rules. I suppose it fits with how the Battle Tower works (in a way), but honestly, to get the most competitive team, you'd have to alter EV spreads (Stats are maxed at less than 252 EVs at level 50 IIRC), and prey that you have some good Pokémon at less than level 50 that are eligible for the tournament. On top of all that, you'd better hope you never cloned via Action Replay or PokéSav (though the latter isn't really a good idea anyway from what I've heard), else you have to get another cart (or borrow a friend's), transfer over all your valuable Pokémon (which for some may be many), and restart.

Heh, maybe I'm not so sorry I'm missing this tournament. On a side note, this is another good reason to clone your Pokémon right after they hatch.

I find it strange that Dragonite and Salamence are banned but Garchomp... who is even more powerful in 2v2 due to STAB Earthquake... is not >_<

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have a flashcart that I do all my ARing/breeding/pokesaving/etc. on, and a "legit" real copy of the game that I've never touched with AR in case the situation ever arrives.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I find it strange that Dragonite and Salamence are banned but Garchomp... who is even more powerful in 2v2 due to STAB Earthquake... is not >_<
Salamence isn't, but Dragonite is because it evolves at level 55, and your pokemon can't be higher than lv.50

Assuming you mean Tyranitar rather than Salamence (whom I didn't see on the ban list), it would be because Garchomp, and Salamence for that matter, reach their final evolution before/at level 50. Nintendo likely doesn't know or care about Garchomp's power in our metagame.

Kinda beaten by XxBlueCookiesXx.

The rules are so amazing, they make me want to not compete. But meh, if I do (I live like 45 min away from LA), I'd probably transfer some Pogeys to my non-AR-touched Diamond version, although I have to fucking beat it first.

Good point Dragontamer.

If you have a 15 minute time limit, and you can't report illigitimacy after a game, what happens when they whip out their Feraligator in a Master Ball with only a little time left?
Do you have to sprint away (leaving your game unattended) and find someone to report this to, run back... and then have them check the status of the Feraligator to see what ball it was in? That would take at least 3 minutes.

1. Has anyone registered yet?
  2. If so, are the questions retarded like the minigame questions in Pokemon stadium two?
  3. And can you use Serebi or something to look for the answers or is there a time limit?
  4. Can you register multiple accounts on the site to take the test multiple times?
  5. And if you pass the test or whatever, are you allowed to play at the event, or do they then pick the people at random?
Seconding this /r/; I tried to register and the site was just loading and almost crashed my Firefox until I closed the tab after 20 minutes of waiting.

Also, who really cares about Garchomp when you have Lati@s on tap? Half of the best things you can use are EQ immune anyway. You also lose out on Sandstorm w/ Garchomp, as your only Sandstreamer isn't as effective as it is in 1v1 play.
If you have a 15 minute time limit, and you can't report illigitimacy after a game, what happens when they whip out their Feraligator in a Master Ball with only a little time left?
Do you have to sprint away (leaving your game unattended) and find someone to report this to, run back... and then have them check the status of the Feraligator to see what ball it was in? That would take at least 3 minutes.
Having the Mew RBY mall tour as the last nintendo tournament I attended, I don't know what their judge policy will be, but I would imagine that there are judges on hand to send in an assist if things go awry in the middle of a battle or to make sure games that need checks get them. At least at some level, due to the bad rap Nintendo seems to have with running events.

Then again, they might just have people in another building to check and you have to call them over before your time runs out using smoke signals.

Also, who really cares about Garchomp when you have Lati@s on tap? Half of the best things you can use are EQ immune anyway. You also lose out on Sandstorm w/ Garchomp, as your only Sandstreamer isn't as effective as it is in 1v1 play.
I don't really care about Chomp not being banned (hell, I'm probably not going), but it's ironic how they banned other Pokes like Dragonite and Tyranitar, but not Chomp.

yamipoli

the only person more obsessive than jumpman
is an Artist Alumnus
I can help people who don't have two DSes transfer over Pokemon to their other games / keep them safe while they reset their game to get rid of AR markings/shaymin+arceus in pokedex.

I don't really care about Chomp not being banned (hell, I'm probably not going), but it's ironic how they banned other Pokes like Dragonite and Tyranitar, but not Chomp.
They're banned on Level, though, as opposed to because they're "overpowered" or some other noise. It's not really "ironic" at all; they're setting a level cap, it just so happens that the level cap prevents the use of Tyranitar and Dragonite.

Oh, I see. So say T-Tar learns Crunch at level 80 (idk if it does), but level 50 is the limit? That's why it would be banned?

I live 45 minutes from NYC but might be away that weekend =/ I'll have to see if I can go anyway.

Rules are pretty dumb but whatever, it's Nintendo.

I'll also have to pick up another game cart (I don't feel like transferring 150+ pokemon thanks) but that's how it goes I guess, shame Platinum doesn't come out before then.

I'm pissed at hell I'll have to be missing it since I'll be on a study abroad trip this summer. No, they couldn't have it any other summer, it had to be THIS summer >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)