Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I live in Colorado, but if I qualify, I'm going. My question is whether I go if I don't qualify so I can hang out with people who are there and try to nab an unclaimed entry.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am undefeated! (I won the Denver regionals and was then disqualified because my cartridge contained sharked stuff)

obi

formerly david stone
They took the winner's game at the end and checked it somehow. My cartridge was fairly obvious, though, since when I got it back I checked through it and I apparently had like ad530Dsfj63dfg Pokeballs (I bought a used game and didn't reset it because it saved time going through the game).

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm surprised they let you keep your Denver win rather than giving it to the runner up. They didn't want their medal back?

EDIT: So, why do you all think this tournament is using D/P rather than PBR, which would allow for level scaling, sleep clause, etc.? Could it be that even Nintendo is not immune to the Wii shortage? Are they just trying to save money? The latter certainly seems to be the case, what with only two qualifying rounds of 128 people each.

obi

formerly david stone
They did give it to the runner-up. I was removed from the site and Caesar got to go to NY in my place. All I got was the shirt, a pillow, a guide, and the medal (and they sent my game cartridge back). In other words, I got the stuff they gave me right away.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
They did give it to the runner-up. I was removed from the site and Caesar got to go to NY in my place. All I got was the shirt, a pillow, a guide, and the medal (and they sent my game cartridge back). In other words, I got the stuff they gave me right away.
Right, I knew that. I'm just saying that it's weird they gave you that stuff before checking your game. Not that I'm complaining; I think it's cool that you got to keep it. My condolences for getting shafted due to a used copy of the game.

I was so excited to join... but I have to be from US to register >.>!
that suks.
oh well, i think ill request for an international one, or one in méxico xD!

C-ya!

EDIT: So, why do you all think this tournament is using D/P rather than PBR, which would allow for level scaling, sleep clause, etc.? Could it be that even Nintendo is not immune to the Wii shortage? Are they just trying to save money? The latter certainly seems to be the case, what with only two qualifying rounds of 128 people each.
Its probably to encourage people to use "strong" pokemon, not just random crap they caught then put on their teams. I'd prefer the open level thing anyways, it just feels more in the spirit of the game as lame/queer/lol as that sounds. Its probably for the better anyways, since it allows for strategies involving lower leveled Pokemon.

The other reason may have just been that they, for whatever reason, wanted to hold a DP wireless tourney as opposed to PBR. It reflects the battle tower better that way, and they'll probably just input the standard double cup rules for the tourney.

PBR for the final round really throws things off imo. If I recall correctly you get to view your opponents team no matter what before the battle in PBR. If you're using 4 man teams already, your entire strategy could be revealed. Hopefully they'd either let you bring 6 to the finals (which in my opinion would effect the way I build a team) or they set it up for you before you go on the big screen, which is what they'll assumingly be using.

I really wish they'd let me participate though, I would save up for a trip to NYC. I assume it just has to do with the way things are taxed in canada vs US, but the tourney is already international anyways.

obi

formerly david stone
Right, I knew that. I'm just saying that it's weird they gave you that stuff before checking your game. Not that I'm complaining; I think it's cool that you got to keep it. My condolences for getting shafted due to a used copy of the game.
How it went was that I got a few immediate prizes, then gave them my game.

I went home. They checked my game slowly, and a few weeks later I was taken off the site. I then got my cartridge in the mail with a letter somewhat explaining things.

It's a bummer that the tournament is being held in only two places. Using Mapquest, I determined LA is a good 19 hour journey by car from where I'm at just to get there one way (try that round trip with today's gas prices o.o). I'd be forced to go by plane, but even that would be a good $200-400 round trip. I would be crazy to spend that much money just to claim my place as a pokemon master. Good luck to any Smogon members that plan on going.
At least I can say that I'm the best pokemon player in my town. :( (It has a pop. of around 500k and I haven't found a single person as devoted as I).

Oh yes, like stated before, I see many of the standard moves that some pokemon learn past Lv. 50 but not otherwise are unusable (since they cannot be obtained legally). Typhlosion won't be able to learn Eruption, Vaporeon won't be able to get Hydro Pump, and Froslass won't be able to obtain Destiny Bond. Anyone who participates in this tournament will need to consider this when making their team.

Well Typhlosion can still get eruption if both parents know Eruption since Cyndaquil learns it by level up, but yes, that is a factor for certain pokemon. (Hydro pump on a vaporeon is LOL though).

What i want to know is if you get a new game, but tranfer pokesav pokes over and have legit stats and moves would they catch that?

20/20 questions right, i'm in the drawing for New York, now I just have to convince one of my parents to lend me their car for the day, I only live 30 minutes away.

Man... As stated several times, us in the Midwest get fucked over >_>, but whatever, the rules are meh (at best >_>)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)