Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You get 25 minutes. I think I took like 3. A lot of the questions were like "Which Pokemon evolves using a Sunstone?" "Which city is this gym leader from?". It's nothing too in-depth.

Team off the top of my head:

Bronzong @ Lum berry, heatproof, TR + Explode
Togekiss @ Iron Ball, Follow Me
Smeargle @ Focus Sash, Level 1 Endeavor
Kangaskhan @ Macho Brace, Level 1 Endeavor

I think it would do good.

The questions are mainly as Obi stated with about 3 questions that had me looking at the berrydex. For example one question asked me which berry lowers attack. Other than that the quiz should take you approx. 1-5 minutes for a 20/20

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Team off the top of my head:

Bronzong @ Lum berry, heatproof, TR + Explode
Togekiss @ Iron Ball, Follow Me
Smeargle @ Focus Sash, Level 1 Endeavor
Kangaskhan @ Macho Brace, Level 1 Endeavor

I think it would do WELL!!!(AHH, the grammar burns <.<)
I had similar ideas, however, Bronzong should definitely have Levitate. The only reason to use heatproof is for some kind of Modest Life Orb/Choice Specs Eruption Typhlosion, while Earthquakes will be much more common. What was your reasoning behind Iron ball? I never even thought of it but it might be useful, I don't know. I think Chesto Berry would be more useful in more situations though, because of the lack of sleep clause. Smeargle of course to abuse Dark Void, and I don't like Kangaskhan Lv.1. It just doesn't seem like it would work out, but you'll have to test it. You should think about replacing it with a more consistant Pokemon. Machamp, Hariyama, Metagross, amonmg others come to mind because of their Bulkyness, and Metagross gets a Priority move and Hariyama gets fake out, which is a great asset to have when pairing him with Smeargle. It definitely seems like a solid TR Team, and I honestly think that Trick Room will be the dominating team for this event.

I've tried the Follow Me > Trick Room idea and it is pretty solid, though it's generally more useful when you are expecting Taunt/Fake Out, otherwise a Fake Out pokemon is more useful if you don't want to pour the hurt on poor Togekiss (Or if you want to avoid the above mentioned Smeargle).

I had similar ideas, however, Bronzong should definitely have Levitate. The only reason to use heatproof is for some kind of Modest Life Orb/Choice Specs Eruption Typhlosion, while Earthquakes will be much more common. What was your reasoning behind Iron ball? I never even thought of it but it might be useful, I don't know. I think Chesto Berry would be more useful in more situations though, because of the lack of sleep clause. Smeargle of course to abuse Dark Void, and I don't like Kangaskhan Lv.1. It just doesn't seem like it would work out, but you'll have to test it. You should think about replacing it with a more consistant Pokemon. Machamp, Hariyama, Metagross, amonmg others come to mind because of their Bulkyness, and Metagross gets a Priority move and Hariyama gets fake out, which is a great asset to have when pairing him with Smeargle. It definitely seems like a solid TR Team, and I honestly think that Trick Room will be the dominating team for this event.
I am pretty sure not positive but i think he has khangaskan for scrappy so he can still endeavor ghosts

Maybe it's been asked several times already but I can't find it. OK, they said lvl 50 and lower...I'm kind of conserned because I want to use my team that has already been trained to lvl 100. Will they have it to where they'll automatically set it down to 50 like PBR, or do they have to be 50 ingame? I really hope I can use my lvl 100s...But from the look of it I think not...I just want to make sure before I set out to build a new team all together. TT_TT

I hate some of the rules they have already. ONLY 4 guys? Geez. I dunno, if I'm right about the lvl 50 rule I am officially erked. Why punish the people who take all that time to get someone to lvl 100? That is so stupid. I have over 30 guys that I have hand trained from lvl 1, many of them did not get Rare Candy treatment because my Linoons were lazy! RAWRG the idea makes me mad! I mean, Mence is barely useable if that is true, many pokemon don't learn their good moves untill their late 50's or 70's even. I don't mind being at lvl 50, I truly don't care, but I really want to use my guys. I really want to use some of my pokemon that have prooven themselves time and time again that I KNOW can win, with or without Legends present. The 4 man team limit totally meshes up my stratigy, being an annoyer trainer...But hey, it's not that bad of a hinderance, just muddy.

That was my rant and question. Other than the BS rules, I'm really pumped about it. I want to go so bad. TT_TT Why are they ALWAYS in New York or California? Sometimes I hate being in the middle of the country.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can get any of a breedable Pokemon's level-up moves by leveling up both parents until they learn the move. The baby will have that move.

You need to get your Pokemon to be level 50 or less. I'm glad they don't use auto-level, now that I think about that, because some strategies require underleveled Pokemon.

And they have them in NY and CA because that's where the people are.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You can get any of a breedable Pokemon's level-up moves by leveling up both parents until they learn the move. The baby will have that move.
For clarity's sake, this only works if the hatched Pokémon can learn the move in some manner (level-up or TM), so you can't breed an Eevee with Hydro Pump. Hence, no Vaporeon below level 71 can have Hydro Pump.

You need to get your Pokemon to be level 50 or less. I'm glad they don't use auto-level, now that I think about that, because some strategies require underleveled Pokemon.
I actually prefer auto-leveling because I don't like strategies involving underleveled Pokémon. It's more of a personal preference than anything, but I consider these strategies 'cheap' for some reason.

Oh well. Well thanks you guys for clarifying it for me. Now I'm off to build a new team lol. I think we can use lvl 100s in Florida, because they mentioned something about it in the rules and playing on PBR.

I'm going to wish all you people luck. I hope you get in if you signed up. I want to see you there. =)

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I am pretty sure not positive but i think he has khangaskan for scrappy so he can still endeavor ghosts
I meant that it was a little too risky, because having two Lv.1 Pokemon and only 1 Focus Sash allowed is not a reliable tactic.

If they were going to autolevel the pokemon to level 50 they wouldn't have the restriction on Dragonite/Tyranitar, so it's likely you will need to have them actually levelled to 50 and not a level further.

Well, the Lati twins are back...I used 'em in the Gamestop tournament, everyone pretty much hated me. Even still, I was really inexperienced, and almost lost the first round because I didn't know about Gyaravire (the guy used Vaporeon instead, Latias barely survived Ice Punch and KOed back).

But if IT HAS TO BE LEVEL 50 then that's going to be unbearably hard. Running Lat@s IVs suck in R/S, but even if I had a second copy of Emerald it's extremely tedious to keep checking the Pokedex over and over again to catch a Pokemon for the right nature, much less the right IVs.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Does anyone know how to check for Poke Sav hacks by the way?
I suppose you could try checking at the missing line of data. All Pokesaved Pokemon (clones created by Sav also counts) share this thing. I highly doubt they'd do something like that but if I were to be the hack checker in the tournament I'd be suspicious.

Sort of offtopic: Seph says he's going to the one in Cali.
That's because the level limit is level 50, and both Dragonair and Pupitar evolve at level 55.
Pomeg glitch lol (don't try)

I suppose you could try checking at the missing line of data. All Pokesaved Pokemon (clones created by Sav also counts) share this thing. I highly doubt they'd do something like that but if I were to be the hack checker in the tournament I'd be suspicious.
But does this include actual bred Pokemon with alterations through Pokesav?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
But does this include actual bred Pokemon with alterations through Pokesav?
Once you've pressed "OK" in the Edit Pokemon window in Pokesav, that Pokemon is dead.

I wouldn't worry too much about it tbh. Chances of them checking like this is rare.

obi

formerly david stone
Why can't you properly EV your Pokemon?

The only difference is that you need 8 EVs for a stat instead of 4.

ahahahahahahaha

at least you get events

Im in Canada.
Fuck the US >:(
Ugh, I feel ya man, fuck it, it's pretty quiet here, why do the good stuff have to be there? Damn it, why can't we get a little fun, like the russians are having with their peniscopter (youtube it if you don't get it). D;

Nobody cares about our Maple Trees...or maybe even us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)