Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
People not knowing how to EV Train? Do some many people just use Shoddy and Pokesav these days? Well I am wasting my summer school money for a crap shot at winning this thing if I get selected from the bs random pairing.

I'm wondering how Smeargle became more deadly. This is serious, people lol. DVoid!? I would say GG!
Smeargle definitely 'over-centralizes' this tourney :P. There are ways to beat it though. Personally, i think Bronzong with lum berry and explosion along with something with protect can be good. Probably a water type to take out fire leads.

You guys are giving Smeargle too much credit. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one; in this case Chesto Berries and Lum Berries.

And if you didn't already know, Japan had a tournament like this last year with the same rules. (and no, there was not a Sleep Clause contrary to popular belief!) skarm posted a thread in September, but I'll post a few battles he missed I found recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqMiYHGYeFc
Gimmicky Power Swap Shuckle prevails! This was likely the juniors division.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aatOLJndSrQ
Another way to abuse Sleep. Fake Out Weavile + Crobat puts multiple opponents to Sleep in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rgBQkTfh3o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWGfwZbBGfI
Dark Void Smeargle makes his appearance on this mono normal team! Unfortunately he gets shut out by Safeguard Latios on the first turn. Mad props for Belly Drum Snorlax, even if the guy didn't win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw_3GbriGRY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAl4JWrvacA
If you think double battling is all gimmicks then you should watch this video. It sort of reminds me of JAA.
___

and the ones you've probably seen already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouaZu4CFh_8
Level 1 Smeargle wins the tournament. You can tell by the look on the guys face that Endeavor Smeargle likely hadn't been introduced to Japan until this event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ20TICnwD4
Another trick room team wins the Juniors division. hmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmCdeJ4xpgE
CS Typhlosion rapes a hail team. This was the Yokohama final.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGmw6xkPyjA
The Dark Void in this battle actually missed the Gengar, there wasn't a Sleep Clause. I think it was Obi who made a comment about this a very long time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoEA5pDgIQ
Miscellaneous battle with Rain Dance Dusknoir!

Notice how Metagross is on every team.

Also for all its worth, there are going to be 6 regionals in Japan this year. Fukuoka, Hokkaido, Nagoya, Tokyo, Yokohama, and Osaka. The winner and the runner up from each tournament will be going to Florida. Additionally 4 players will be selected online from Pokemon's Daisuki Club. I guess this doesn't matter unless you live in Japan (lol) but I thought it was worth posting / informative.

Thats odd, they work fine for me. I posted a thread about them on a different forum and copied the links from there. That should not have any effect on them though.

If anyone else can't view them let me know. Maybe you should test youtube first?

I used the AR "Complete National Dex" code on my Emerald so that I could get the Cyndaquil from Professor Birch. Then I bred a baby Cyndaquil from it and sent it to Pearl via Pal Park. I bred a new baby from this one, this time using the egg nature glitch and resetting until I got a Modest Cyndaquil (Incidentally, it had good IVs and HP[Ice] without me even trying!). I raised this Cyndaquil to a level 50 Typhlosion. Would the hacking checks detect that my Typhlosion was semi-hacked?

I used the AR "Complete National Dex" code on my Emerald so that I could get the Cyndaquil from Professor Birch. Then I bred a baby Cyndaquil from it and sent it to Pearl via Pal Park. I bred a new baby from this one, this time using the egg nature glitch and resetting until I got a Modest Cyndaquil (Incidentally, it had good IVs and HP[Ice] without me even trying!). I raised this Cyndaquil to a level 50 Typhlosion. Would the hacking checks detect that my Typhlosion was semi-hacked?

Typhlosion is totally legit. Unless you used an AR on your D/P, you're safe.

Oh yes, like stated before, I see many of the standard moves that some pokemon learn past Lv. 50 but not otherwise are unusable (since they cannot be obtained legally). Typhlosion won't be able to learn Eruption
Cyndaquil learns it at 49. Keep it as a Cyndaquil until 48, level it up to 49, let it learn Eruption, and let it evolve into Quilava. Then grow it to level 50 and let it evolve into Typhlosion.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
What's the Pomeg Glitch?
Where you use the Pomeg Berry (Emerald only) to lower a Pokemon's HP when the current HP is 1 and it has some EVs on it (doesn't work with Sheddy). This glitch causes you to have "undead" Pokemon and causes your game to send eggs into battle, allowing you to evolve the Pokemon inside the egg (When the pokemon hatches it'll be back to Lv.5, which is why it's possible to have a lv.5 TTar and Shedinja). A Pokemon in a Pomeg Glitch state has ?35 HP out of it's maximum HP (in other words, 65535/it's max HP). This causes Eruption/Water Spout to do insane amounts of damage. At this point using a Full Restore brings its HP to 0 or something like that, but strangely enough you'll still be walking around and not in the Pokemon Center

Speaking of Sheddy, Nincada makes an extra egg upon "evolution"

Any EVs you have obtained in this state will be discarded, and so will be the happiness and items (if you used Thief/Covet)

Moves you've learned will be retained.

To do this, you must have ONLY one real Pokemon. Carry Full Restores (for the actual egg thing to work) and a Revive (so you don't black out in battles, as blacking out happens after turn one without revival of the 0 HP Pokemon).

EDIT:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZW7YhwilAE&feature=related
glitch video

What are the attacks the Pokémon are using? I don't know Japanese and I can't figure out some of the animations.
Player One: Ludicolo / Gyarados / Metagross / Kingdra
Payer Two: Bronzong / Smeargle (level 1) / Metagross / Snorlax

Turn One:
Player one sends out Ludicolo and Gyarados
Player two sends out Bronzong and Smeargle
Smeargle uses Follow Me
Ludicolo uses Fake Out, Smeargle holds on with Focus Sash
Gyarados uses Taunt
Bronzong uses Trick Room

End of turn: Ludicolo / Gyarados vs Bronzong / Smeargle

The main difference between this and Obi Mode is Follow Me. Of course this was incredibly risky, but Taunt shuts this strategy out otherwise. The probability of Gyarados using Taunt that round was high, so Follow Me was the move to use, and it payed off.

Round Two:
Player one switches out Ludicolo for Metagross(1)
Smeargle uses Endeavor on Gyarados (99%)
Bronzong uses Gyro Ball on Gyarados
Ludicolo is sent out to replace Gyarados

End of turn: Metagross(1) / Ludicolo vs Bronzong / Smeargle

Round Three:
Player two switches out Smeargle for Metagross(2)
Metagross(1) uses Bullet Punch on Metagross(2)
Ludicolo uses Fake Out on Bronzong

End of turn: Metagross(1) / Ludicolo vs Bronzong / Metagross(2)

Round Four:
Bronzong uses Explosion, it does 25% damage to each Metagross, and Ludicolo holds on with Focus Sash
Metagross(2) uses Earthquake, Ludicolo is taken out, Metagross(1) takes about 25% damage thanks to Shuca Berry
Metagross(1) uses Meteor Mash on Metagross(2)
Kingdra replaces Ludicolo, Snorlax replaces Bronzong

End of turn: Metagross(1) / Kingdra vs Snorlax / Metagross

Round Five:
Snorlax uses Fire Punch on Metagross(1)
Metagross(2) uses Earthquake, Metagross(1) is finished off, Snorlax and Kingdra take 30%
Kingdra uses Hydro Pump on Metagross(2), Metagross faints, Kingdra takes Life Orb recoil
Smergle replaces Metagross
Trick Room ends

End of turn: Kingdra vs Snorlax / Smeargle

Round Six:
Smeargle uses Fake Out
Snorlax uses Substitute
Sitrus Berry restores Snorlax' HP

Round Seven:
Kingdra uses Dragon Pulse on 1Hp Smeargle, it takes Life Orb Recoil
Snorlax Body Slams Kingdra, winning the match

This is what we know about each player's team:

Ludicolo @ Focus Sash
-Fake Out
Gyarados @ ?
-Taunt
Metagross @ Shucca
-Bullet Punch
-Meteor Mash
Kingdra @ Life Orb
-Hydro Pump
-Dragon Pulse

Bronzong @ ?
-Trick Room
-Gyro Ball
-Explosion
Smeargle (level 1) @ Focus Sash
-Follow Me
-Endeavor
-Fake Out
Metagross @ ?
-Earthquake
Snorlax @ Sitrus Berry
-Fire Punch
-Substitute
-Body Slam

And if I were to take a wild guess, I'd say that bronzong is holding Lum Berry, Metagross and Kingdra have standard sets, and Player one is using Rain Dance. I hope this helped.

Good luck to anyone here on Smogon who makes it.

When I think of 2 vs. 2, I can't help but think about having a Gengar and one or two Pokemon with Explosion. :P

I entered it, but opted out of entering any drawings. I regretted it afterwards, but seeing these rules, I wouldn't have anything to enter anyway because all of my battler Pokemon are Lv. 60. = /

Those are some weird rules.

Oh, and the Qualifier round areas are too far away.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to made an addendum to what I posted at the end. Detect is a dramatically superior option to Endure. If they don't hit you turn 1, you save your Focus Sash. You are also not vulnerable to status. I was probably thinking level 100 Smeargle in the back of my head, in which case you'd want to bring yourself down to 1 HP.

Of course, Follow Me to guarantee a Trick Room is an interesting idea, since you'd only be using it when you suspect something like Taunt, although if they lead with Fake Out they can break your Sash. Fake Out is advantageous to Protect because you can Protect turn 1 if you predict Fake Out coming toward Smeargle, or just hit one of them with Endeavor if you suspect it's aimed at Bronzong. Next turn you Protect if you Endeavored to allow Bronzong to Trick Room, and then proceed as normal.

I have a feeling that the winner will use something like this strategy:

Garchomp@Brightpowder
-Double Team
-Dragon Rush
-Fire Blast
-Stone Edge

Hippowdon@Leftovers
-Double Team
-Fissure
-Slack Off
-Yawn

Or this strategy:

Smeargle@Brightpowder
-Spider Web
-Spore/Dark Void
-Mind Reader/Lock-on
-Sheer Cold

Clefable@Focus Sash/Quick Claw
-Follow Me
-Sing/Substitute
-Moonlight/Softboiled
-Fire Blast

If the people who made the rules had any intelligence, the sets above wouldn't be allowed, but they are. (No OHKO Clause or Sleep Clause?!) Too bad Articuno doesn't learn Sheer Cold until level 78.

If the people who made the rules had any intelligence, the sets above wouldn't be allowed, but they are. (No OHKO Clause or Sleep Clause?!) Too bad Articuno doesn't learn Sheer Cold until level 78.
We, the competitive Pokemon community, don't ban OHKOs and evasion because they're good, we ban them because they increase the element of luck. Those strategies aren't anything spectacular; your Smeargle takes 3 turns to set up for each Pokemon it kills, and Articuno would just be terrible in this tournament.

If you examined the rules, you'd notice there's nothing different between those ones and the Battle Tower rules in game. If we ever wanted a universally agreed upon ruleset, I think those would be the ones to use. No one should complain about the tournament having the "wrong" rules, not when our "superior" ruleset is abided by roughly 5% of the Pokemon fanbase.

The meta for Smeargle is that it is mostly FSashed so you can counter with Gengar or try to phaze it.

And yeah, like Chrisomar said, no Sleep Clause means all heck will break loose lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)