Analysis of Pokemon Usages: Which Pokemon were used by high-ranked players in May?

imperfectluck

Banned deucer.
If I play 3000 games on 1 name only, and that name has 1700 rating, I'd get a sum of 3000 x 1700 added to the ladder in weighted rankings. If I play 1000 games on 3 names each rated 1700, I would get 1000 x 1700 x 3 added to the ladder in weighted rankings. In the end, it comes out to the same amount, doesn't it? (If I did the math right)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yes, in the end it ends up the same.

Oh, and suppose a 1700 player decides to use Bidoof for 10 games, and only he used Bidoof in the entire month. Then Bidoof would have a 1700 average rating, and thus it means that Bidoof was used by one of the 'expert' players. But isn't that actually true? Bidoof would have been used by only expert players! So what's the deal about 'inflating statistics' and stuff like that?

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm actually going on the "assumption" that it is easier to get and KEEP many accounts at 1,700, which seems to be embodied by the fact that 1,700 seems to be the ceiling for many battlers no matter how good they are. Therefore one ipl account with 3,000 or 5,000 or even 10,000 battles may have a rating of just 1,650 wherease multiple ipl accounts that total exactly 3,000 or 5,000 or 10,000 battles will have smartly topped out at 1,700 each before moving on.

I do realize that it seems I'm taking issue with this for no reason, and, more importantly, that my lack of understanding of how ratings work may be contributing to my "confusion", but I still think I have a point. Anybody feel free to show me why I'm thinking about this the wrong way, preferably by proving that it is harder for a 10,000 battle, 1,700 rating account to drop down to a 1,650 rating than it is for a 5,000 battle, 1,700 account to.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that the rank of an account deteriorated over time with inactivity. If this is true, then someone who wanted to keep multiple accounts afloat would have to play a few games (no idea how many) on each account every day. Since they would have no control over which account they lost games with, they couldn't really cheat the system by having multiple accounts.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that the rank of an account deteriorated over time with inactivity. If this is true, then someone who wanted to keep multiple accounts afloat would have to play a few games (no idea how many) on each account every day. Since they would have no control over which account they lost games with, they couldn't really cheat the system by having multiple accounts.
Usually around 2-3 does the trick. If you're using a strong team like ipl does, you're pulling in wins in over 90% of your battles. This makes it pretty easy to keep at least 2 accounts stable and 3 isn't too much of a stretch either.

Nice work x-act but, wouldn't this be affected by the fact that say a lot of the top players use Garchomp while even more n00bs use it as well which, in my mind, would balance it out if I'm thinking correctly?

Nice work x-act but, wouldn't this be affected by the fact that say a lot of the top players use Garchomp while even more n00bs use it as well which, in my mind, would balance it out if I'm thinking correctly?

Yep. That shows that even though a lot of noobs use him, Chomp is still a very good poke used by very good battlers. It also shows that Mesprit takes a lot of skill to use correctly.

It also shows that Mesprit takes a lot of skill to use correctly.
Not quite, it may just show that Mesprit is another "hidden gem" of a Pokemon, kind of the way Heatran was before it came popular (back when it was BL and everybody condemned it due to its typing).

I myself think that these are some really cool results to look at, and it will definately make me EV that great Mesprit I got, as I've been putting it off for a while. I'm pretty sure I now understand how the system you used to get this works...

R THIS ADVERTISING? IF SO, I R SORRY

- Porygon2 > PorygonZ: do you understand this?.
I am sorry I didn't get this in earlier... but porygon2 is higher up because it has ...secrets... that can be exploited to make this average statistically poke into a killing machine.

~~Gimmick A; Trace

-Trace is pretty much one of the best abilities ever. Copies the foe's ability to the advantage of the holder of trace. It is handy against gyarados and salamence, for intimidate (and a few rarer others), jolteon, vaporeon, lanturne, and other pocks that absorb stab moves, flash fire pokemon, tracing natural cure for a status'd P2, and getting speed boost from yanmega and ninjask. It also helps you to discover a heatproof bronzong. (Someone found out mine :\ ) A particular pokemon that is handy to switch in on either ability is arcanine, as it has both intimidate and flash fire.

~Gimmick B: Recover~

-In short, this allows it to harass repeatedly by comming in and getting HP back. Especially handy against Jolteon/Vaporeon, it can come from >25% to 100% if it absorbs.

~Gimmick C: Boltbeam~

-Without using hidden power, the duck can get both thunderbolt and ice beam. For...coverage against a variety of threats. Hits super effective on plenty of the OU metagame. Discharge is handy often to discourage pokemon like lucario from switching in too freely.

~Gimmick D: Magic Coat~

-A rare move used by only a handful of psychics and porygons. Reflects hypnosis, wil-o-wisp, and other status to the user. This prevents Porygon from being shut down easily. Natural cure tracing helps if you mispredict.

~Gimmick E: Bulky~

-Tough stuff with 85/90/95 defenses. Allows exploitation of Recover and rapid switching in. Not exactly an all out wall like giratina, but moderately bulky.

~Gimmick F: Lots of other gimmicks.~

Recycle-Lum/Leppa, Agility, trick room, etc. It also has 105 special attack, so it can hit decent amounts. Download isn't very handy, if you want to use download pick porygon-z instead.

-Porygon-Z can do all of this, but it is frailer and lacks trace. Porygon2 takes a decent amount of skill and a ton of prediction to use, but it has high return. As nice as it is, it has some issues; Fighting types, and BLISSSSEY. As far as NFEs go, porygon2 is truly different from it's Fully Evolved counterpart.-

-Oh, I found it odd that MAGCARGO is in "normal" players. It is ranked 1148.918367, the "AVERAGE" number,(actually, a fraction above 1148.53) along with BANETTE at 1148.673874 I used it a few times with decent affect, but somehow they ranked higher than some things ... like Entei, Electivire, and Porygon-z... This is particularily odd because they are even rare in UU, I am like one of few that use them in there at all-

-I noticed CHARIZARD is usually a newbie pokemon. There are a lot of people on shoddy with teams full of starters...-

-Well, banette I can sort of understand because it rules, but... average? It's BST kind of sucks... but Trick, insomnia, and status-a-plenty make it...interesting...to use.-

-MAGBY IS HIGHER THAN MAGMAR...LOLOLOL-

-And finally, pokemon super popular in UU like altaria and aggron are sometimes lower than pokemon that are rarer, like Huntail.(249 in usage) I'll bet it's because no one knows exactly what they are capable of.

PS: is the porygon2 thing considered "advertising" or "off topic"? If so, I'll edit it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)