Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
to beat smeargle bronzong you can use use a fakeouter and snatch their follow me if they decide to use it

I don't think you can Snatch Follow Me, and even if you did, I think you'd then just end up Fake Outting your partner...

doesn't snatch go right after the move is used? i remember using it like this
Pokemon 1 used helping Hand but wait
Pokemon 2 used snatch
pokemon 2 used helping hand
pokemon 3 used bullet punch

How thorough are they going to be when evaluating teams? I mean the internet is swarming with people claiming to have legit hacks and stuff with perfect IVs and stuff. Would Nintendo really give them the benefit of the doubt?

lol "legit hacks"
well, no one really know how Nintendo would check exactly... so we wouldn't really know what Nintendo would do if someone had actually bred out something with straight 31's...

Yes, I'd assume that they take the top 8's game cards after the final battle is over and then scan them off site later on in the week. It's possible they might just take them and wait until the NYC event is over and check them all at once, but that might be confusing. If I won I wouldn't want to get somebody else's game pak instead of mine. >_>

I've heard from people emailing Nintendo, and basically the answer they got was "fuck off, you're not supposed to know." Of course, much more user friendly though.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't want Nintendo taking my game pack for an indefinite amount of time. Yet another reason why I won't be playing...

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Alright, so tomorrow's the big day for all of you going to LA. Good luck to all who were picked and all who are trying to get in. Is anyone bringing their laptop to the event who wouldn't mind filling the rest of us in about how the tourney is going so far/how the smogon members are doing?

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
They have special hardware at the VG Showdown for detecting hacks and pokesav creations and procedures for removing these players from the tournament. My source is a good word.

I'm bringing my laptop to LA.
After what Kevin said, I'm kinda worried. I had to borrow my friend's cartridge because I don't even have one, but he might have pokesaved pokemon...

So I should keep an eye out for the guy with the laptop, since you are probably that person. :p

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I will be typing up a warstory of what happens and probably post it on Sunday, along with the video of the final battle. So be sure to look for my thread. :)

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'll be interested in hearing reports from those that went to L.A. today. At this point, I am not planning to be at showdown when it comes to New York next week.

My Showdown

Well Jeff I can kick things off early. First off, I'll make it clear (if it isn't obvious) that I came home early after not being selected for the alternate round. Basically what they did was put a bunch of names in the raffle, and since 29 participants did not show up, there were 29 numbers drawn and if any corresponded to the wristband you received from the start, you were in. But beforehand I got to hang out with a few Smogoners. Syberia and I met up early on and had a quick battle. Most of my Pokémon are not level 100, so I had to grab some BL/UU's that happened to be 100 and just use them on him. That was fun, even if I both got luck hax'd and didn't have a real team. :P Then I met up with zerowing, Omega Donut, omni, and a few other Smogoners who I didn't catch the names of. Yami Poli was there and she took a lot of pictures, so maybe she'll share some of those.

I really wish I got selected though, it looked like a lot of fun. I went inside and it was set up really well. They had probably 20-30 pairs of DS's set up. You'd just put your cartridge in and battle your selected opponent. I know of two Smogoners who were picked, so hopefully they'll do well. Can't wait to hear from stories from the ones who got picked!

For Smogoners who were there, I was the redhead in the Quicksilver shirt. :P

Basically all of what Pulse said was spot-on as far as substitutes are concerned. I entered the raffle along with my brother, and my brother ended up playing in the tournament instead of me. He did reach the top 8 and will be showing up for Orlando. I took some pictures too so I'll upload them in a little while. It's hot as hell right now and I just got home from taking the bus.

A little about my brother, and I don't want to embarrass those that lost to him but it has to be said. He only had two hours of sleep, got a little food poisoning from taco bell after we qualified for the raffle, and did not know much about Pokemon in the first place. Now he's sleeping it up and resting because hes dead tired.

Well, I will be posting a warstory of what happened at the LA showdown(probably by tomorrow at the latest) and which smogoners I met there, as well as pictures galore and a video as well. I will be also posting what happened in each battle etc, so look foward to it. ;)

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I can't wait to hear these warstories, especially zerowing's/PBB's since I talked to him on aim a little bit/had a few practice battles with respectively. I also hope Jeps/PsiUmbreon were chosen in the raffle and ended up making Top 8. I can't wait for the NY one.

Also, will the warstories be posted in Stark or Congregation so I'm ready to start reading them right when they're done?

Jeps was not selected for the alternates. I saw him around, but never got the chance to talk to him unfortunately. I am not sure who PsiUmbreon is exactly, so I have no idea.

I'll be posting mine in Stark probably. I'll also have the link to the youtube video of the final battle, so expect that as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)