DP Suicune .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although it is similar to other Suicune sets, this set deserves its own mention because it plays differently than the others.

[SET]
Name: Sleep Shuffle
Move 1: Roar
Move 2: Surf
Move 3: Rest
Move 4: Sleep Talk
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> Suicune is one of the sturdiest pokemon in the game, and can use this set to stand up to most threats quite easily. Once residual damage builds, Suicune can Roar through an unprepared team, as very few unboosted attacks will be able to penetrate its massive defenses. Rest is Suicune's only form of recovery, and with Sleep Talk you can continue shuffling their team while sleeping. <p>

Really not much else to say. If you run a stall team, or just a team that has spikes, watch your opponent tear their hair out. Suicune is sturdier than Skarmory on both sides of the spectrum, so it would be foolish to doubt the set's usefulness.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Couldn't this just be added as an option on the sleep talk set? Considering 3/4 of the moves are the same and the EVs are the same.

I know you think it deserves its own set, but I don't think it is played all that differently.

Although it is similar to other Suicune sets, this set deserves its own mention because it plays differently than the others.

[SET]
Name: Sleep Shuffle
Move 1: Roar
Move 2: Surf
Move 3: Rest
Move 4: Sleep Talk
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> Suicune is one of the sturdiest pokemon in the game, and can use this set to stand up to most threats quite easily. Once residual damage builds, Suicune can Roar through an unprepared team, as very few unboosted attacks will be able to penetrate its massive defenses. Rest is Suicune's only form of recovery, and with Sleep Talk you can continue shuffling their team while sleeping. </p>

Really not much else to say. If you run a stall team, or just a team that has spikes, watch your opponent tear their hair out. Suicune is sturdier than Skarmory on both sides of the spectrum, so it would be foolish to doubt the set's usefulness.
need to end your paragraphs with the slash.

Also, just gonna go out and say that with the given EVs, pretty much no physical attack is going to OHKO this guy. I ran a more offensive set but with the same EVs and used it to counter every garchomp except band and SD. A metagross explosion did only 65ish%, and mine once survived a +6 Medicham psycho cut. now, it may have been EVed poorly, but anything surviving a +6 STAB attack is bulky in my book.

Personally, I feel the set needs a much different ev spread since you no longer have calm mind to raise special defense. Until then, this is definitely just the same set with with one different attack =/

To be honest I would word this much differently as well

I would use an EV spread of maybe 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD with a Calm nature.

<p>Suicune has extremely high defensive stats even without Calm Mind and this set tries to take full advantage of that. It also helps that Suicune only has 2 weaknesses, one of which is rarely found in standard play.</p>

<p>Against an unprepared team, Roar can help stack up residual damage as well as psuedo-haze out any stat up users. Rest and Sleep Talk provide much needed healing as well as a way to still abuse Roar even while alseep. Surf is a general STAB move and should be used to take out any damaged foes that have taken heavy residual damage.</p>

<p>Without Calm Mind, Suicune must focus on its Special Defense a bit more. With 220 Defense EVs, 36 Special Defense EVs, and a Calm nature, Suicune can take hits from both ends of the spectrum.</p>

I don't want to ruin your design though so you don't need to take this. But for now this is just to similar to the current analysis to merit its own set.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with both Stellar and KinglerDude24 that instead of a new set Roar should just be added as another option over Ice Beam and Hidden Power Electric on the Sleep Talk set in the analysis.

Also seconding KD24's notion to add a bit of special defense. It helps so much in taking things like a Salamence Draco Meteor; not to mention it takes on common Sleepers Gengar and Yanmega much easier.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, even though this set works, it really isn't worthy of its own set. Now that you mention it though, I'm surprised that Roar isn't on the "Sleep Talk" set in the Suicune analysis.

Roar should just be added as an extra option on the Ice Beam / HP Electric slot. I'll add that right now and add a sentence explaining Roar's usefulness.

edit- done. waiting for a cache. Since the set posted in this peer edit is exactly the same as the "Sleep Talk" set except with Roar as the last move, I just stuck it on as an option and and added the brief sentence.

oops, sorry about that guys. Anyway, Jrrrrrrrr said he has it covered. It really just deserves to be an option in the standard sleep talk as mentioned. As for the EV spread KD suggested, I never found myself wanting more special defense. Yanmega is the least of Suicune's worries... it has sleep talk and Bug Buzz is like a 4HKO with Leftovers. 266 Special Defense is solid, and lowering his defense draws things like Close Combat and Outrage from ScarfHeracross and Scarfchomp closer to 2HKOs, which is extremely important. Also, a bold Suicune can take a Lucario Close Combat after a Swords Dance while you finish him with Surf. If you go to Calm, you lose that ability.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Agreeing with everyone else. This doesn't deserve its own set. 3/4 of this set corresponds with a couple of other, better ones.

I also don't like, ontop of above, that this seems to take no effort at all.

Well Junior there isn't much to say. It is a simple suggestion for the analysis. And you can't say that this set is "worse" or "better" than the others because they do play differently.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
It is quite similar actually.

Take: Calm Mind Shuffler, Sleep Talk and even Crocune is quite similar (but better both defensively and offensively).

I actually run Surf / Ice Beam / Roar / Sleep Talk. It's pretty effective I find for absorbing sleep, and it still makes a very good Garchomp counter, as all three moves work pretty well against it. It also catches lots of people by surprise, and it's nice to not waste a turn by selecting Rest. Worth considering in my opinion.

Take: Calm Mind Shuffler, Sleep Talk and even Crocune is quite similar (but better both defensively and offensively
No! This set is meant to tank away while spikes are on the field and continuously shuffle through the opponents team. The Calm Mind Shuffler has to spend time sleeping, or doesnt get the ability to rest at all. The Sleep Talker doesn't shuffle, and Crocune is more of an offensive threat then a shuffler. They all play differently, therefore you can't say that Crocune is a better set. They have two entirely different uses.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This post is for Aldaron's and Jrrrrrrr's purposes ...

Delete; this seems to redundant. Second thoughts, perhaps?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thread has been taken care of.

Roar didnt deserve its own set, I put it as an option elsewhere as I mentioned in post #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)