DP Research Thread #4 ("Newer still")

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens when a snorer is tormented while asleep? Does the sleeping pokemon do nothing, or does it have to use struggle?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Torment only causes Struggle it prevents you from selecting your last move. There is no rule that states that you must use Snore if you have it, so the Pokemon would just sit there sleeping.

X uses Metronome, Metronome turns into Torment
(Only move opposing pokemon has is metronome)
Y uses struggle
X uses Metronome, Metronome turns into encore.

Would encore just fail?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I edited out the video because it has nothing to do with your question other than that it includes both Encore and Torment at different times.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You could achieve the same thing by Tormenting something with only one move, then trying to Encore it immediately after it Struggles. I believe Encore will fail, but don't take my word for it - try it yourself.

Not sure if this belongs in the QnA section, but here goes the question, involving Confusion. I've been reading up to page 5 and found out that when a pokemon is confused, that confused pokemon taking damage from smacking itself is based on Attack and Defense stat. So is there any Base Power to that "hitting yourself" thing? If not, how is the confusion damage determined?
2. So now I understand the purpose of the move Swagger, so you hit yourself harder when you're confused. But what about Flatter(or that move that raises Sp.Atk by 2 stages)? What's the point of that move then?

These are Q&A more likely, but anyway...
1. The confused Pokemon hits itself with a 40 power move.

2. Two options for Flatter: An alternate option for confusing Pokemon with high attacks (such as Garchomp), or in doubles with a Pokemon immune to Confusion for a free SA boost.

Reguarding sleep talking using moves with no more PP, i was playing a Vaporeon with rest, sleep talk, hydro pump, and HP electric, and it clearly used over 8 hydro pumps.

I think you just got really lucky... since Magic Guard should only prevent indirect damage (besides Pain Split or something), like Poison/Burn, Spikes, Sandstorm/Hail, even Life Orb Recoil...
misdreavus79 said:
There's no way I could have gotten really lucky for 5 months. We should maybe look into it.
Anyway, I was bored today on my 4 hour bus ride home, and decided to test this. Since I have 2 DS's, I just did local wireless with my Diamond and Pearl. After 80 turns of Clefable STing Gengar, and Gengar using Ghost moves on Clefable, it was fully paralyzed not once. I'm pretty sure that 80 turns is more than enough for paralysis to kick in, but for the sake of proof, I will do this again with a team of Ghosts and one Clefable. I will paralyze all of the ghosts as well as Clefable, and then I will post the comparisons between how many times the ghosts get fully paralyzed versus Clefable.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The odds of a Pokemon not being FP'd over 80 turns are about 1-in-990 million.

Leap of faith, anyone? :)

Yeah, except for when two pokemon are paralyzed, and over those same 80 turns, one of them is paralyzed about 7 or 8 times, and the other not at all, there's something there.

But I'll just go ahead and make a video of me fighting 6 ghosts with a paralyzed Clefable.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Something weird happens with Thief in this PBR video (only the first 3 minutes matter for this):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XS8FrRHRKU

As you can see, Tangrowth used Knock Off, so Rattata no longer has its Focus Sash. But later, when Rattata uses Thief, Tangrowth keeps its Leftovers intact…

Maybe Knock Off, Focus Sash, and Thief/Covet all have this associated behaviour, or maybe this was a one time bug.

Consider the following scenario:

The first turn, Clefable with Magic Guard switches in on Venusaur's Toxic. Of course, it takes no poison damage, but the message "Clefable is hurt by poison!" is displayed. The second turn Venusaur used Worry Seed. Clefable is now vulnerable to his Toxic infliction. At the end of the turn, does Clefable take 6%, as it would the first turn of Toxic, or 12%, from the second turn?

On Shoddy I've noticed the second result happens; Clefable takes Toxic damage as if it had been taking damage each turn it was in play. So if Venusaur used Worry Seed on the 4th turn, poison would deal 24% damage at the end of the turn. Has this been tested?

X uses Metronome, Metronome turns into Torment
(Only move opposing pokemon has is metronome)
Y uses struggle
X uses Metronome, Metronome turns into encore.

Would encore just fail?
When a Pokemon is under the effects on Encore and Torment at the same time, the Pokemon uses the Encored move for the duration of Encore, but Struggles every other turn because of Torment. The same happens if a Choice item Pokemon is Encored. In the situation youdescribed, Encore would not fail. Pokemon X would just keep using Metronome, with struggle in between each Metronome until Torment ends.

FINAL TEST OF THE DAMAGE FORMULA!

Lucario (Me First, Tinted Lens, 92 Atk, Lv 35)
Skarmory (129 Def, Steel Wing is attack used)
(Before Mod2 = 17)

If Me First is before Tinted Lens (17 * 1.5 = 25(.5) * 2 = 50)
.85 = 31 Damage
.86 - .87 = 32 Damage
.88 - .91 = 33 Damage
.92 - .93 = 34 Damage
.94 - .95 = 35 Damage
.96 - .99 = 36 Damage
1.00 = 37 Damage

If Tinted Lens is before Me First (17 * 2 = 34 * 1.5 = 51)
.85 - .86 = 32 Damage
.87 - .90 = 33 Damage
.91 - .92 = 34 Damage
.93 - .94 = 35 Damage
.95 - .98 = 36 Damage
.99 = 37 Damage
1.00 = 38 Damage

Therefore, I will test until I get either 31 or 38 Damage.

Just informing that this test is ready to be implemented. I just need to locate another DS so I can test it myself. (I find it easier if I do all of the set up and damage finding.) This would be done by now if I could target my ally with Me First.
Test 1: 110-76=34
Test 2: 82-46=36
Test 3: 52-20=32
Test 4: 110-76=34
Test 5: 82-50=32
Test 6: 56-24=32
Test 7: 91-57=34
Test 8: 63-27=36
Test 9: 94-64=30?????

Did I make a mistake in calculating the damage? I used Cardsofthehearts excel sheet to help calculate the damage. I really hope this means i just messed up somewhere (FYI a +1 Defense boost for skarmory would not have reduced the damage to only 30, but about 27), I checked my pokemons stats and they are the same ones i reported earlier.

obi

formerly david stone
What happens if a Pokemon has a named status and is confused, and then acquires a Lum Berry (Trick, Thief, Covet, Recycle...)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Test 1: 110-76=34
Test 2: 82-46=36
Test 3: 52-20=32
Test 4: 110-76=34
Test 5: 82-50=32
Test 6: 56-24=32
Test 7: 91-57=34
Test 8: 63-27=36
Test 9: 94-64=30?????

Did I make a mistake in calculating the damage? I used Cardsofthehearts excel sheet to help calculate the damage. I really hope this means i just messed up somewhere (FYI a +1 Defense boost for skarmory would not have reduced the damage to only 30, but about 27), I checked my pokemons stats and they are the same ones i reported earlier.
You did not make a mistake. Rather, me and Peterko have.

It seems like Tinted Lens' multiplier is in Mod3 and not Mod2!

I realised this after noticing that all numbers are even.

So the test means that we put Tinted Lens in Mod2 by mistake, where it should be in Mod3. Hence we have:

Bolded x1.5 = Boost for Me First, Bolded x2 = Boost for Tinted Lens

If R = 0.85, 0.86 or 0.87: 17 x 1.5 = 25, 25 x R = 21, 21 x 1.5 = 31, 31 / 2 = 15, 15 x 2 = 30
If R = 0.88, 0.89, 0.90 or 0.91: 17 x 1.5 = 25, 25 x R = 22, 22 x 1.5 = 33, 33 / 2 = 16, 16 x 2 = 32
If R = 0.92, 0.93, 0.94 or 0.95: 17 x 1.5 = 25, 25 x R = 23, 23 x 1.5 = 34, 34 / 2 = 17, 17 x 2 = 34
If R = 0.96, 0.97, 0.98, 0.99: 17 x 1.5 = 25, 25 x R = 24, 24 x 1.5 = 36, 36 / 2 = 18, 18 x 2 = 36
If R = 1: 17 x 1.5 = 25, 25 x R = 25, 25 x 1.5 = 37, 37 / 2 = 18, 18 x 2 = 36

So the damage should be either 30, 32, 34 or 36... exactly as you had in your test.

Now what can clash in Mod3 is having a Pokemon with Tinted Lens using a Normal move against a Steel or Rock Pokemon holding Chilan Berry.

This would first warrant another question: Does Chilan Berry work if the Normal move used against the Pokemon holding it is not very effective? For example, suppose I use Hyper Beam against Steelix with Chilan Berry attached... would Chilan Berry activate or not? If it doesn't, then Tinted Lens does not clash with Chilan Berry.

If, however, it activates, then Tinted Lens clashes with it, and we would need to know whether Chilan Berry (x0.5) activates first followed by Tinted Lens (x2), or the other way round. A test would be simple for this, though. If the damage done is always an even number, then Tinted Lens activates last, otherwise Chilan Berry activates last.

Thanks RB Golbat for this test!

Skarmory is holding Chilan Berry.
Tropius uses Cut!
The Chilan Berry weakened Cut's power!

Now to test Me First with Chilan Berry.
Also, is it known if Solid Rock comes before or after the Type Resistant Berries?
What about the rest of Mod3? Is any order to that known? I ask because it isn't mentioned in the damage formula page.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Skarmory is holding Chilan Berry.
Tropius uses Cut!
The Chilan Berry weakened Cut's power!
Okay, I guess we need to put this in the description of Chilan Berry on the Smogon page as well.

Now to test Me First with Chilan Berry.
Actually, you need to test Tinted Lens with Chilan Berry.

Also, is it known if Solid Rock comes before or after the Type Resistant Berries?
What about the rest of Mod3? Is any order to that known? I ask because it isn't mentioned in the damage formula page.
Damage Formula Page said:
In the case where the foe's ability is Solid Rock or Filter and there's also an item boost (Expert Belt or a type resist berry), the Solid Rock/Filter multiplier (x0.75) is performed first, followed by the other multipliers as needed.
I remember Peterko having tested this explicitly, so yeah. :)

X-Act

Yeah, I've actually edited it so that it's now written like that, since now Mod3 has quite a number of modifiers (and edited Mod2 since now it has only 2 modifiers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)