Programming StarCalc Ultimate Pokémon Calculator

STARCALC ULTIMATE POKÉMON CALCULATOR

Note: link at bottom or here. This calculator's interface is similar to that of Metalkid's, but with a few differences which are described below.

System Requirements
-----------------------
Microsoft Excel 2003 or later (StarCalc should work with OpenOffice.org, correct me it I'm wrong).

History
--------
2.2.3: 03/26/2009: Fixed a bug where the EV's weren't being divided by 4.
2.2.2: 12/30/2008: Fixed a minor bug which caused possible EV's to display incorrectly when the Known-EV stats were not filled.
2.2.1: 11/15/2008: Fixed two bugs: one that prevented Speed IV's and stats from being calculated correctly, and one in the StatCalc that caused natures to multiply by random Pokémon base stats (usually around 60) instead of a proper number for natures.
2.2: 09/28/2008: Fixed a major bug in the lookup tables.
2.1: 09/21/2008: Added Next Helpful Level, customizable Bold Stats settings, and the Clear All macro.
2.0: 09/06/2008: Totally redid the innards of my system from scratch. This version fixes the bug that prevented the IV's for stats with natures from being calculated correctly, and it organizes the hidden areas to make it easier to add future updates.
1.2: 09/03/2008: Added color and borders.
1.1: 08/31/2008: Added StatCalc, which shows the stats for every level given a set of IV's and EV's. Also added a Totals column in the Results, which shows the total IV's and EV's.
1.0: 08/30/2008: First release. Contains IV/EV calculator and lookup tables.

Introduction
-------------
Have you ever received a Pokémon whose owner claimed had high IV's and was not EV trained, but turned out to be worthless with high EV's? Have you ever wondered what the IV's of your prized Level 90 Salamence are, only to find out that you lost the paper that you wrote your EV training on? Have you ever wanted an easy way to check both the IV's and the EV's of a Pokémon at once? Well, here is the calculator for you! It can calculate the IV's and EV's of up to 10 Pokémon at once with the accuracy of Metalkid's MKPP 4.0.

Directions
-----------
Would it bother you to read the wonderfully-written Readme file that I made for this purpose?

Coming Soon
--------------
Level-100 IV-EV Calc, which is a lite version specially made for Level 100 Pokémon, whose IV's can sometimes be difficult to calculate on the stat whose nature negatively affects it.
Breeder Multi-Calc, which has 10 level entries for each Pokémon. Only IV's are calculated; EV's are assumed to be 0. The Levels are automatically 1-10. The listings go down the sheet, so literally hundreds of Pokémon's IV's can be calculated at a time with this.
IV Formatter, which displays the IV's in a format similar to this: 0/3/27/12-13/4/19.
EV Formatter, which displays the EV's in a format similar to this: 252-255 Atk/4-7 Def/252-255 Sp Atk
Hidden Power Calculator, which calculates the type and power of Hidden Power when the exact IV's are known.
Breeding Probability Calculator, a powerful tool for calculating the probability of certain minimum IV's given the mother's and father's IV's.
Implementation of Characteristics and Hidden Power Type in the IV-EV Calculator, which improves calculation precision.
Compensation for Accidental Evolution and Effort Training, whose purpose will remain secret until it is implemented.
Stand-alone program
Online Java applet
StarCalc for TI-83/84 series graphing calculators

Known Bugs
-------------
None at the moment. Let's hope it stays that way.

Final Notes
------------
Please report any bugs in my calculator using this thread, or e-mail me at starcalc@gmail.com. Give me a THOROUGH explanation of what you were doing, the specific stats that you entered, and the specific results you got. Also, any ideas on how I could improve my calculator (added functionality for instance) would be appreciated.

Website
--------
Here is the link to StarCalc: StarCalc Home

Version 1.1 Now Available! New Features:

StatCalc: which shows the stats at every level for a given set of IV's and EV's.
Totals column in Results Sheet: which shows the total IV's and EV's. Very useful in EV training and in comparing the IV's of different Pokémon to each other.

I'm downloading this right now. It looks very useful, but... a Hidden Power Calculator is the best thing that could happen this century. A downloadable one, so that when my internet is offline, I can work it out.
At the moment, I don't need it. I can find out IVs using my AR, and I can see how many EVs needed to hit a certain stat with Shoddy :p.

However, I can see this being very useful to people who cannot utilise what I have.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about the StatCalc. Once again, that can be done with Shoddy, but I may be wrong if it can do it on every level. It just finished downloading ~ all in all, its awesome. I'll see if I find any glitches, and I'll contact you if I do. I'm sure I won't, however.

Version 1.2 Now Available! This version adds color and borders to the spreadsheets. I found out how to do conditional formatting in Excel 2003, so now all parts of the "Results" sheet will show up with a Red background for invalid stats, a Blue background with bold print for IV's between 25 and 30, and a Golden (yellow) background with bold print to congratulate IV's of 31. However, there is still that bug (see "Known Bugs" in my first post) that is keeping it from being completely accurate.

Version 2.0 Now Available! To create this version, I totally redid the innards of my system from scratch. This version fixes the bug that prevented the IV's for stats with natures from being calculated correctly. It also organizes the hidden areas to make it easier to add future updates.

a Hidden Power Calculator is the best thing that could happen this century. A downloadable one, so that when my internet is offline, I can work it out.
Thanks for the input. I will be putting that in a future version.

Version 2.1 Now Available! This version adds the Next Helpful Level output; the ability to customize which IV's are bolded; and the Clear All macro, which is activated by the hotkey CTRL+Shift+C. You can download StarCalc 2.1 by clicking the Download link in the navigation bar above. Also, I recently changed my web host from Freewebs to 110MB due to a lack of sufficient monthly bandwidth with Freewebs. My new site is at starcalc.110mb.com. The old site has been changed indefinitely into a redirect page.

IMPORTANT!!!

I recently (a couple of hours ago) discovered a fatal bug in StarCalc which causes invalid outputs in ALL OUTPUT CELLS RELATED TO THE KNOWN-EV STATS (YELLOW). Thankfully, it was just a single bad cell reference, so I was able to correct it easily; but I highly recommend that ALL owners of StarCalc download it again due to the seriousness of this bug.

StarCalc 2.2: ANOTHER Major Bug Fix

StarCalc 2.2 is now available! This version fixes an error in the base stats database (yes, another bug) which caused most Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed IVs to show incorrect stats in all previous versions (The database I got the base stats from had Speed in front of Special Attack and Special Defense, whereas my calculator has Speed behind the Special stats). The reason I am calling this bug fix a new version when the last one was not is because I redid a major part of the lookup tables, whereas the last update was just slightly changing one formula and copying it 600 times using a simple Fill Down command.

My rules for version numbers are that first numbers (2.0, 3.0) are changed when I make major changes to the innards of the system (note that a new generation with 50+ Pokémon is a major change) AND add at least one useful feature, or when I totally redo the system from scratch, or when I add at least three or four useful features (depending on what they are). Second numbers (2.1, 2.2) are changed when I add at least one useful feature AND/OR make moderate to major changes to the system. Third numbers (4.0.0, 4.0.1) will be added starting with Version 3.0.0. They are changed usually with small bug fixes such as the one that happened before this one. A single new forme being discovered in an ENGLISH-LANGUAGE version of a new game would be another example of a good time to change the third number (Note than a single new Pokémon would change the second number; also, for those of you who were wondering, the new Platinum formes will not be added to StarCalc until the LATER of these two things: One week before the release of Platinum, or the English-language name of the formes are confirmed [Translations are not confirmed names]).

Version 2.2.1 of StarCalc is now available! This version fixes two bugs: one that prevented Speed IV's and stats from being calculated correctly, and one in the StatCalc that caused natures to multiply by random Pokémon base stats (usually around 60) instead of 1, 1.1, or 0.9. This download is an important update if you want to calculate Speed IV's or use the StatCalc.

I find it odd that this isn't getting attention, there obviously went a lot of work into it. o_o
The reason it wasn't getting much attention was probably because of the many bugs which prevented accurate results from being returned to the user. No one wants to recommend a calculator to others if it always returns an error instead of the Speed IV (apparently, no one wants to e-mail me a bug report, either...)! However, as of version 2.2.1 (November 15, 2008), ALL of these bugs are officially fixed. Any reports of other bugs can be e-mailed to the address listed on my website.

Special thanks to Metalkid for suggesting changes to the GUI. Extra-special thanks to Waiting for Seedot and Azn Psycho (GameSpot Forums) for the bug reports which made the corrections possible.

Also, thanks for the compliment, Mekkah!

Unfortunately I do not have the means to be able to use the calculator, no cash for office and openoffice will not run on my computer.

My question: Will you ever release a light version able to run through Google Documents?

Unfortunately I do not have the means to be able to use the calculator, no cash for office and openoffice will not run on my computer.

My question: Will you ever release a light version able to run through Google Documents?
First of all, if you have time, try downloading the Knoppix Live DVD (not CD) operating system and burning the image (WARNING: 4 Gigabyte Download: Over One Hour on 8Mbps High-speed Connection, Unthinkable [around 200 hours] on Dial-up). It contains OpenOffice.org Linux Edition, as well as over 1,000 other tools. To use it, you place the DVD in your drive right after you turn your computer on. Unlike most OS's, it will not change any computer files; it boots and runs completely from the DVD. All that is needed is a USB flash drive to hold all files you intend to work with while using it. Since Knoppix doesn't change any files on your hard drive, you can always return to Windows by removing the DVD right after you turn your computer on. As long as you do not save anything to your computer hard drive, you should be safe.

To your second question, no. However, I am currently learning a programming language (only at the Hello World stage so far, so it may take a while), and I intend to make a standalone application, as well as a Web applet. I will also be making a [lite] version for TI-83 and TI-84 series graphics calculators (not including the original TI-83 due to memory; those things are OLD). These applications should be ready by the end of 2010, so if you can't run OpenOffice and can't wait until then, then just get the Knoppix Live DVD. It is an operating system, so any problems with Windows will vanish while the magic DVD is in your drive. Sadly, you cannot write to your hard drive with it, but you can write to USB flash drives, so load StarCalc to a USB drive using Windows before placing the DVD in your drive. Again, returning to Windows is as simple as taking a DVD out of your drive.

StarBP, excellent job! I started working on a iv calculator for excel my self but stopped because it was taking to long. I took a look at some of the data and it looks pretty good. I think I will try experimenting with the Iv calculator. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the good comments, everyone.

That has definitely sparked my interest. All the more reason to bring my calculator with me on Shoddy Battle. Keep up the good work.
The TI-83+/84+ calculator should be ready before the end of 2011. The timetable is so late due to the fact that I do not actually own a TI-84 at the moment. I may release an alpha version (I will do the coding and have other people with a TI-84 test it and optimize the code) in a year or two if I get enough requests and, more importantly, enough testers. Also, the application will be fairly large (10+ KB; yes, that's large on a TI-84) due to the stats database involved. I will probably use archive and unarchive commands to bring the database up from the ROM to the RAM for one-time use, thus making it incompatible with the original TI-83 (All other calculators with TI-83 or TI-84 in their name should work with it, though). A super-lite "enter your own base stats" edition will also be available, along with a 3-page stats table to print out for reference. However, that undermines most of the purpose of a portable IV/EV calculator.

However, the online Java applet and the Java stand-alone application (similar to an .exe, but requires Java to run) should be available before te end of '09, although unforseeable circumstances may delay it further. Features will include an IV/EV calculator with Accidental Effort and Evolutions capability (something NO calculator has EVER had), a IV Probabilities calculator, and more. Sadly, a damage calculator is at the bottom of my priority list due to the complexity involved.

Version 2.2.2 of StarCalc (aka the Corsola Edition [only Pokémaniacs will truly get that joke]) is now available! This version fixes a minor bug which caused some results to be invalid when optional information was not supplied. I always make it a priority to fix bugs the same day they are discovered, and this one is no exception. Special thanks to Metalkid for discovering this one when he was playing with the stats of his Salamence.

Great News! The Java 0.0.0 Pre-Alpha Teaser Version (single level, IV's only) will be coming out within a couple of months! It's not much, but it contains a method that will be the entire framework for future releases.

GREAT NEWS!!!

StarCalc 2.2.3 is now available! This version corrects a small bug which caused the EV's not to divide by four. In addition, StarCalc Java 0.0.1 Alpha is now available!!! This is a very exciting milestone with StarCalc, since this version is made with an actual programming language (versus a spreadsheet) and is compatible with all Windows computers with Java installed (Support for other OS's is coming soon). This alpha version only calculates the IV's for one Pokémon at a single level (An included batch file adds very crude multi-level functionality). The base stats must be entered manually, and the natures must be spelled correctly (You were going to spell them correctly anyway, right?) You can download it at the downloads page. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Hey, can't believe I just found this. This thing is awesome.

It's nice having a bunch of features rolled into one easy to reach, OFFLINE, source. I can't believe that this hasn't gotten more attention.

By the way, I have access to a TI-84+. If you need testers that to find bugs (I don't know how to program on a TI84, so if that makes me useless, sorry), I can help. A IV Calculator with portability like that would be so full of epic win.

Keep up the good work!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)