CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, I'm torn between Caladbolg's Gargoyle, cerbi's sphinx, and Doug's Planet.
Really hoping to see the final colors on the planet and the finished gargoyle.

The thing about most of these designs is that they're not in the Pokémon style. Caladbolg's Easter Island statue looks awesome, but not as a Pokémon. Its eyes look really strange and 'dead' - perhaps it should have Beldum or Lunatone-esque eyes instead? Also, the white colour scheme looks odd. Perhaps it would look better with a grey or black body? The gargoyle is one of the better submissions. My gripe with it is that it doesn't look very special-oriented.
Lofty's design is pretty interesting. However, it doesn't look like a fully-evolved Pokémon due to its simplicity, and looks very artificial.
Cerbi's sphinx design is nice, but again, not as a Pokémon. The main thing which puts me off is the human-like face and body proportions. It wouldn't really look right in a Pokémon game.
YourDeadGrandad's design irks me a bit. The eyes don't really look Pokémon-like, and I'm not too sure that a bunch of floating rocks is a good concept for a Pokémon.
DougJustDoug's designs are intriguing. I can see why you went for less detail. However, for a fully evolved Pokémon, the level of complexity is too low. The eyes also don't really appeal to me.
Blu's maiden is a good design. However, I don't like that its body is very thin but rigid. It would be hard to make a sprite of it. It's also very reminiscent of Claydol.
Regi DS's concept is pretty good, as it looks viable as a Pokémon and a Rock type. But isn't there already a Pokémon based on Anubis? Lucario? Also, your submission looks pretty similar to mine, but you're probably thinking the same thing.

Anyway, now we're on the subject of my design, I have a question. What kind of colour scheme should I use for it? I've drawn a coloured version, but haven't got access to a scanner again. If I get some more ideas now, I could draw and scan them sooner.
Oh, and could someone comment on my design already? :S

OMG THAT'S BADASS! My only problem with it is that it looks CONSIDERABLY resemblant to a Regi, and Regirock is already used.
Of course, it's nothing major, it's just that it holds me back lol

The others I support are Calad's sphinx and the yourdeadgrandad's floaty special thingy.
The Sphinx is great because it's representative of the Rock type, not too detailed or far fetched, and the wings, made of rock, would be too heavy to fly or use levitate with. Indeed, it's mythical, etc.
The floaty thingy is awesome too, and I can definitely somehow see that as a magical fossil pokemon. Both colorings feel a little off to me, but otherwise, amazing job.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
The thing about most of these designs is that they're not in the Pokémon style.
It's 'Break the mold'....xD

Well, I have other concept... a simple Griffin Statue with gems. It's more Pokemon-ish, I think.

For the description.. this is a typical statue... and I add the gems to give it more special-ish appeal.
I have other idea... near my city there is a Marine Base, with a famous portal called "La Puerta de los Leones".. in English.. "Lion's Gate" or something. There is two Lions Statues from Peru and maybe I can transform it to pokemons.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
DougJustDoug's designs are intriguing. I can see why you went for less detail. However, for a fully evolved Pokémon, the level of complexity is too low. The eyes also don't really appeal to me.
I agree that the eyes on my planet design don't fit the pokemon style. I'll change them when I ink and color it. It seems others agree that the Planet design is the best of the three I made, so that's the one I'll work up for a final submission.

As for your design, it's just too similar to RegiDS -- and his is better, IMO. Your design doesn't look like you have meshed the concepts. It looks like a dog with jewels stuck on his fur. Perhaps you can somehow "blend" the concepts better. Unfortunately, I have no advice how to do that. As for the similarity to RegiDS, there's nothing you can do about that without a complete redesign.

The problem that I have with this new one, Caladbolg, is that it's Flying type. There's nothing that says "Rock" about it as much as the something that says "Flying type."

I'm sorry caladbolg, but this one is not to my liking. This one doesn't seem like a rock type, its really just a bulky flying type.
I really liked the old one mainly because of the wings looking too heavy for it to fly, and this one doesn't really break the mold because it keeps the rock 'stereotype' of being bulky.

It's not the coloring, it's the theme.
The fact that it's based off of some sort of winged beast already gives the impression of the Flying type.
Coloring it won't change that.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
It's not the coloring, it's the theme.
The fact that it's based off of some sort of winged beast already gives the impression of the Flying type.
Coloring it won't change that.
It got it.. Thanks for the comments.

But... How I can improved the concept?

Dude, you don't need to improve that concept, because your easter island pokemon is freaking badass!
To improve the easter island one though, I'd go with some kind of brown coloration, because the white just doesn't scream rock.
But seriously Caladbolg, if you changed the easter island one's coloration, it would be the best...hands down.

Keep the old design, seriously. I love the way it looks. It looks like the 3 Legendary dogs: Entei, Raikou, and Suicune, but a Rock-type.

Your old design is up there with Regi DS' and Lofty's Design.

It looks like a Mystical rock type pokemon that can run faster than a cheetah. :)

Ah geez! I'm FINALLY done colouring my art. God it took me forever. Anyways, my art design is mainly about the use of a mask and gems. It turned out really well on the colouring program I use. So, here it is!

Tell me what you think guys!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
All people submitting art may only submit one. Choose which one you like the best. You have until the poll to decide.

Monkeys have nothing to do with rocks. Maybe make it a monkey made out of stone. :O
Monkeys have nothing to do with fire. Who said Monkeys have nothing to do with rocks? They throw rocks, there's stone statues of monkeys, etc. And what if it isn't a Monkey after all? =S

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Dude, you don't need to improve that concept, because your easter island pokemon is freaking badass!
To improve the easter island one though, I'd go with some kind of brown coloration, because the white just doesn't scream rock.
But seriously Caladbolg, if you changed the easter island one's coloration, it would be the best...hands down.
Oh, Thanks.! xD

The white coloration is not the definitive. If my concept wins, I'll let to the spriters "free-coloration"...xD

For the new concept ..[offtopic: yeah, I'm not satisfied yet]... a Stalagmite Pokemon... it's a derivation from Gargoyle.

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Caladbolg, i'd submit the version of your Easter Island pokemon BEFORE the colored it--your second one, i believe. It looks just enough like a pokemon, but enough like a badass humanoid/bird statue.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Caladbolg, i'd submit the version of your Easter Island pokemon BEFORE the colored it--your second one, i believe. It looks just enough like a pokemon, but enough like a badass humanoid/bird statue.
Thanks. I'll keep in mind that. I repeat, the colors are just a test..not the definitive pokemon. Also... I must choose only one pokemon? I have a lot of support on diferents pokemons: The Easter Island pokemon, the Gargoyle and the first Sphinx/Griffin.

So....Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)