Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - September 2008

That mamo set is understandable, but i'm racking my brain trying to figure out how the .4% would use Dugtrio without EQ.

Steelix, Rotom, Ninetales and Aero were an easy 1-2-3-4 prediction on the UU ladder, but where the F did Claydol sneak in from? That was definitely a surprise.

Random battles are ignored when gathering statistics. But, we have seen cases where it appears that people actually save their random teams and use them in the ladder. I have no idea why, but it does happen.
That's weird. Who uses a Mamoswine without Earthquake at all? I would understand if Mamoswine had an amaizing movepool but it really doesn't. It's just 4 or 5 good moves that work well with each other. Did those other .3 % use Giga Impact or something?

Well it's only 0.3%, or 200 matches. It is possible that someone was using a rest/talk/curse/stone edge set, which is better than EQ as a last move.

I have a feeling people have started to use Aerodactyl in OU, solely to get it out of UU.

In all fairness, it was extremely strong in UU, but factors like this will 'skew' the stats. Just like how people started using Garchomp to get it banned a couple of months ago.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Actually, Aerodactyl usage has been high since last July. It was only demoted from BL to UU last August if I recall correctly. So people are not using it solely to ban it from UU, as they were using it a lot already prior to it being demoted to UU.

is there any way to find out the type of hidden power heatran uses most of the time? is it grass, electric or ice?

is there any way to find out the type of hidden power heatran uses most of the time? is it grass, electric or ice?
Well we just need the Item use. Choice Scarf will almost always use Ice, Expert Belt, LO and choice specs mostly use grass. I've never seen someone use electric unless its a wifi team where they cant get ice or electric

ah thanks for the clarification ^^ I've been debating which is the hidden power to look out for on that thing seeing that is on like 3/4 of the teams I face >.> (I hate how it counters me)

I was surprised that only 18% of Heatrans were Timid and somewhat surprised that only 62% carried a scarf.
Platinum updates were very recently implemented so Heatran had no reason to use Timid/Naive beforehand. I am actually surprised people use Timid when Naive does not detract from the power of Explosion, and allows you to use HP Ice on Shoddy without having to find an alternate IV spread that happens to be legal.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you recognized that your statemnt is a few pages late and was recognized, why did you post?

I wish this told us more, though, as two major metagame shifts happened in the middle of it.

Platinum updates were very recently implemented so Heatran had no reason to use Timid/Naive beforehand. I am actually surprised people use Timid when Naive does not detract from the power of Explosion, and allows you to use HP Ice on Shoddy without having to find an alternate IV spread that happens to be legal.
Yes, but even assuming the amount of Heatran usage before and after Platinum was the same, then I would expect close to 33% of the heatrans to be Timid. Assuming Heatran was used 1.5x as much after platinum, I would expect close to 40% to be timid, and assuming Heatran was used 2x as much after platinum, I would expect almost 50% to be timid. As you can see, 18% isn't anywhere near these numbers, even assuming equal usage before and after Platinum changes were implemented.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why would Heatran being used more affect the percentage of Timid natures among Heatran?

My guess is, since "everyone" likes reading the standard Smogon sets, it does list Modest as the nature; in fact, +Spe natures aren't even really mentioned at all yet, lol. But yeah, +Spe natures are definitely gonna rise this month.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well the more likely you are to face another heatran the more reason there is to maximise your speed.

So yeah, as Heatran useage increases I will expect the percentage that have +speed personalities will also increase.

Have a nice day.

And with all the Timid ScarfTrans, I'm surprised that so few Gyarados are Jolly. Jolly also allows it to outspeed Shaymin-S after a Dragon Dance.

Loling at TBoltless Raikou, are people trying to Crocune with HP Ice or something? Maybe Rain teams.

This is fun trying to figure out what people are using. Specs Dugtrio!

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeh, everyone expected Heatran to lead in usage. It's a fucking monster and it does everything, it's hard not to use Heatran these days. However, I've been using Heatran as a lead and I've seen plenty of other Heatran lead, so seeing it at #16 was a little surprising.

Again, no surprises with Gengar sticking up at pretty much the top because it's so good, Hypnosis may hit it a little bit though but Trick makes it even more annoying. Salamence and Scizor were obviously going to push up from gaining arguably the two best moves they could've hoped for and everyone wants to try them out. Kingdra is another that will definately rise in usage over time.

Shaymin-S will push up the ranks by the next set of statistics, even though the "boom" has worn off a bit, it'll stick through and be very high up soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)