Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - September 2008

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Loling at TBoltless Raikou, are people trying to Crocune with HP Ice or something? Maybe Rain teams.

This is fun trying to figure out what people are using. Specs Dugtrio!
Yea.. the 8.9% of Breloom without Spore and 4.3% of Rhyperior with no EQ is what really surprised me..
Zam with no Psychic is pretty odd too...

Even CB/Scarf Breloom is decent with Spore. I guess Stone Edge/Seed Bomb/Fighting move/Thunderpunch?

No Psychic Zam is maybe Trick/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Grass Knot(or HP Ice)?

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
No, the Breloom that don't use Spore are more like the Swords Dance/Facade/Seed Bomb/Mach Punch @Toxic Orb versions. If they have Spore in that set, they're going to get walled easily. The other Swords Dance version is Swords Dance/Mach Punch/Stone Edge/Spore @Life Orb, but it's not used as much.

Huh, I didn't even know it got Swords Dance. IMO that first set needs to be adapted to Platinum with TPunch > Facade. In fact, why is it using Facade at all? Celebi?

I guess not but the lack of coverage and STAB makes me feel like something's off. I never did like unSTAB Facade but that was always when people were suggesting it on Heracross/Hariyama/Machamp. Breloom really doesn't have many better options.

Why does a lack of STAB matter? It's nearly as powerful as STAB Meteor Mash, Earthquake, and Stone Edge. (140 vs. 150, about a 6.66% power difference).

Also, a CB set couldn't utilize Spore well.

Why would Heatran being used more affect the percentage of Timid natures among Heatran?
Because i expect a larger percentage of the Heatrans used after Platinum changes to be Timid so they can outspeed Skymin.

If Heatran was used 100 times before Platinum, and 25% of them were timid, and it was used 50 times after Platinum, with 50% of them being timid, then a total of 50/150, or 33%, would have been timid. Since pre-platinum was roughly twice as long as post-platinum, this is assuming equal Heatran usage before and after. However, if Heatran was used 100 times before Platinum, and then 100 times after Platinum, with 25% of them Timid before and 75% of them timid after, now you have 100/200, or 50% Timid. Clearly all these numbers are made up, but I think it shows how usage can affect percentage during this particular month, since there was a large metagame shift in the middle of the month.

Because i expect a larger percentage of the Heatrans used after Platinum changes to be Timid so they can outspeed Skymin.
That really doesn't explain this post at all:

Yes, but even assuming the amount of Heatran usage before and after Platinum was the same, then I would expect close to 33% of the heatrans to be Timid. Assuming Heatran was used 1.5x as much after platinum, I would expect close to 40% to be timid, and assuming Heatran was used 2x as much after platinum, I would expect almost 50% to be timid. As you can see, 18% isn't anywhere near these numbers, even assuming equal usage before and after Platinum changes were implemented.
And don't be an ass by bolding percentage.

That really doesn't explain this post at all:

And don't be an ass by bolding percentage.
The original post was saying if nearly 0% of Heatrans before Platinum were Timid and nearly 100% of Heatrans after Platinum were timid, and since Platinum changes were implemented roughly 2/3 of the way through the month, you should be close to the different percentages of Timid Heatran usage I posted depending on how much Heatran usage increased after Platinum was implemented. For a moment, let's assume all Heatrans before Platinum were not timid and all Heatrans after Platinum were and that Heatran usage before platinum was, say, exactly 100, while Heatran usage after Platinum was 100, 150, and 200. Okay. Now:

first formula: (number of thirds of month) * (usage per third)
second formula: (accounts) * (percentage of timid)

2 * 100 = 200 acounts of non-timid heatran
1 * 100 = 100 accounts of timid heatran
(100 * 1.00 + 200 * 0.00)/(100 + 200) = 100/300 = 1/3 = 33% timid

2 *100 = 200 accounts of non-timid heatran
1 * 150 = 150 accounts of timid heatran
(200 * 0.00 + 150 * 1.00)/(200 + 150) = 150/350 = 15/35 = 42% timid

2 * 100 = 200 account of non-timid heatran
1 * 200 = 200 accounts of timid heatran
(200 * 0.00 + 200 * 1.00)/(200 + 200) = 200/400 = 1/2 = 50% timid

hopefully I have fully explained where those numbers in my first post were coming from and why, even with some variation in the numbers and of course a different amount of usage, these numbers make sense and also why I was surprised to see only 18% of heatrans were timid.

also, i felt the bolding of percentage was necessary since he bolded it in his post as if i didn't know what it meant and/or didn't understand the concept...

EDIT: w00t! 500th post!

Why does a lack of STAB matter? It's nearly as powerful as STAB Meteor Mash, Earthquake, and Stone Edge. (140 vs. 150, about a 6.66% power difference).

Also, a CB set couldn't utilize Spore well.
Because I'm usually seeing Facade on the Guts fighters that all have Close Combat and better options in general. I realize now that Breloom has no such option.

CB set does seem like it could have Spore. Spore is that good of a move.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
It would be helpful if future statistics could include the exact mode speed(s) of all Pokemon. This would enable us to establish accurate speed tiers, because I question the relevance of many of the "EV to outrun x" paragraphs in the analyses. For example, is 222 speed really that useful when only 37.9% of Tyranitars run 252 EVs? and this figure has a heavy bias towards jolly. Is it not reasonable to assume that nearly all jolly Tyranitar run max speed? That is up to 19.7% leaving the majority of the remainder without 221 speed. Considering that the probable tier below is only 208 (for 207 Suicune etc.), those 14 points represent a significant investment for possibly little gain.

Kyogre is overcentralising Uber! Kick it into the Arceus Tier!

I mean, when there are more usages of a certain Pokemon than the total number of battles... Garchomp at its best never did that!

...Then again, running a Scarf-Kyogre and a Calm Mind one on the same team can surprise pretty much everyone...Might actually be a good idea.

Arceus is not banned due to his power. He is banned because you cannot legally obtain one now. Ubers acts as a ban list. Why make another ban list that bans things from the ban list?

No surprise in the Salamence, Scizor, and Heatran boost. It's what we all expected. This month Shaymin-S will definitely be up there with them.
I never expeted heatran to be played more than gengar! Meh gengar got hurt by that 10% drop in accurcy of hypnosis I suppose thats enough:pirate:

Randomnoob I agree shaymin sky could even take top spot, through he can rape hatran royally with his ater egos earth power, I do not think heatran will drop down in usage as i find him to work very well with skymin on my team.

I hope to see mr skymin in uber soon ^^, through I use him on m team all my test battles say he is unfair/too good for th ou enviroment a garchomp with more speed and special attack insted of attack is what he is sorry for going a bit off topic .

lol i love the primeape leads in uber
it makes one chuckle inside

on a more serious note, i never understood why Bronzong was so popular as a lead, seeing how it lost hypnosis(practically)
gets taunted to death by Azelf/DeoxysS
but, at least its sturdy

what is Infernape doing as a lead?
it can set up SR and Fake out, but its also slower than things like Azelf
so after the fake out it will get taunted

on a more serious note, i never understood why Bronzong was so popular as a lead, seeing how it lost hypnosis(practically)
gets taunted to death by Azelf/DeoxysS
but, at least its sturdy
People use Bronzong because he can set up SR later if he gets taunted, has useful resists, and is very sturdy. Not all leads have to be fast and frail.

Only one person commented, and there was no answer as far as I could see: what is up with all the no item? Is it to avoid giving up a good item to the enemy when being tricked in underused?

I think a part of it is just when people forget to equip an item.

It's pretty easy to overlook in Shoddy Teambuilding, and not everyone runs calcs, so they wouldn't be able to tell if they had Expert Belt or not, for example.

Some of the percentages are still high even considering that though, so who knows. :/

I'm guessing people use Primeape because scarfape is the only genuine Darkrai counter in the game, being able to safely switch in and survive even LO Thunder after SR damage with minimal HP investment, and its immune to dark void.

Kyogre is overcentralising Uber! Kick it into the Arceus Tier!

I mean, when there are more usages of a certain Pokemon than the total number of battles... Garchomp at its best never did that!

...Then again, running a Scarf-Kyogre and a Calm Mind one on the same team can surprise pretty much everyone...Might actually be a good idea.
When both players have Kyogre it's possible as the program would count two Kyogres with one battle.

I think the itemless Pokes might be from Theif/Covet as well.

Seaking has only 13 uses in Ubers... Even Yanma was used more.
It worked pretty well there when I used it in August. CB Megahorn w/ Swift Swim just owns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)