What style of play do you use?

Hey everyone, we all have different styles of play from all out offensive to stall. We all use what fits us best, now let us discuss these style of plays.
Offensive- I style of play ideal for the player who wants to finish the match first with no walls. Employs the strategy hit and run a lot, with lots of revenge killers, and powerful stat uppers. This is common right now as its fast and reliable. Simply kill them before they kill you.
Balanced- A mix of sweepers and walls/tanks, it has a nice back bone, just in case something fails, but often this style of play finds itself walled by a wall. A nice style of play for comfort, and the ability to sweep.
Stall/Defensive- A real conservative way to play, with little risk to yourself and usses passive damage to slowly kill the enemy. Ideal for people who like using walls to beat the opponent.

I myself use all of these play styles as they all work, and my favorite style is balanced as I its a mixed of stall and offensive, and I enjoy that "backbone" that it gives you, anyways discuss!

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really enjoy playing with a more offensive based style. But I have found myself stalling a little bit more as of lately. Stall teams seem fun to use and to team build, since they require a lot of effort to perform well with. Everyone things that Stalling is the easiest way to win, when I would go as far to say as it's one of the hardest, if not the hardest way to win. Balanced offense was a lot better in D/P than it is in D/P/Pt or whatever we're calling it now.

I use different styles of playing for the multiple teams i build. although i Enjoy playing all out offensive the most, it's not as effective as balanced, in which most of my teams fall under.

I've never dedicated myself enough to do anything worth noting with stall. Generally I start out with an all-out offensive team and slowly work my way down to something a bit more defensive with testing.

I play balanced pretty well, my offensive style is crap. I can do a mean stall if Im not watching tv, or on aim. But that's not often.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've always loved offense teams. The sheer power of being able to OHKO anything that stands in your way...

I think I need to get psychologically evaluated.

I had a good stall team going at one point, but right now I'm trying new things. My latest team is pretty balanced, the whole bulky sweeper set up and kill strategy.

Which hasn't been going so well.

I'm pure offensive, I always like seeing my opponent's HP bar drop immensely after one of my massive assaults, and can often find myself sweeping an entire team with only 1 pokemon.

It's a dangerous playstyle, as I often get killed by things like ScarfTran when my team is weakened from suicidal assaults.

I've tried balanced and defensive before, but could not get them to really work. Either I've been smashed to pieces by a powerful offensive team or have been walled into stall-wars by defensive teams. So, offensive is the way to go for me!

I'm a staunch proponent of pure offensive style, gaining favour early in the match and not letting go of it. if you're facing an unfortunate matchup, you use whatever techniques at hand (built in to your team that is, be it the element of surprise or good synergy) to get your momentum back.

keeping most threats in check isn't necessarily hard either, you're just keeping them in check by being a bigger threat yourself.

I've always liked stall (except when playing other stall teams, that's really a drag), although my most successful teams were purely offensive. Odd combination...

I usually have a team full of tanks, I guess you could call it "bulky offense". The only real pokemon on my team that doesn't pose a threat is Tentacruel, everything else uses it's bulk to set up for a sweep, or just smash through things. Bulkymence, Calm Mind Celebi, Nasty Plot Togekiss, I use stuff like that all the time.

I never have problems with those insanely speedy teams, because they just don't hit hard enough, and they die quickly to my powerful tanks. Probably the most threatening thing to my team is stuff like curselax and nasty plot porygon-z, because while my team is sturdy, they aren't THAT sturdy, and for the most part I can't hit hard enough to take out curselax before it gets going.

Pure offensive for me, with lots of sacrifices. I win by guts alone!

When I just want to play for the adrenaline rush I just load up on high-power threats and just try to outpredict my opponents. When I want to play seriously, I build a team of special sweepers and throw in a dugtrio and a pursuiter, so it's facilitated offense.

Balanced/Defense. I use a bit of offense, usually 2-3 poke depending on my lead, but my offense is always bulky, and weaknesses never overlap.

Alice

The worst taste in music
Gimmicky...

It's been a while since my last attempt to make a serious team (almost a year).

I find it a lot more fun to win with a sort of gimmicky/not so common team than an ordinary one. Of course, I try to develop a strategy behind the gimmick, and it is great when it happens to success.

Besides, many times an uncommon set ends fitting well into the metagame, or helps a style of play or a common top tier pokemon, so it opens more options to create a competitive team.

Definitely a balanced/offensive style.

I tend to use "sweepers" that work well together as well as using not "walls" but simply EVing somewhat bulky pokemon into more bulky pokemon that can take the hits (based on resistances) that I need them to take while dishing out damage at the same time. Rest/Talk Gyarados and Heatran are prime examples of this.

Notice, I put these roles in quotes because quite frankly, roles are stupid and should never be used. Every pokemon is unique.

lol alice I'd consider you one of the most interesting minds in D/P it's funny to read your response :D

I must say, for some reason I've had this unnatural attraction to stall teams as of late. It's just so entertaining to watch your opponent's Pokemon fail time and time again. Also I have a tendency to say "Wall'd" to myself at random times.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I like using balanced offense, which is basically what darkie mentioned. Using a team of sweepers, but spreading the EVs on a few Pokemon to make them bulky. I'm also fond of pure stall, but I notice I lose interest in those teams quicker. That can be attributed to the amount of time it takes to complete one match compared to a solid offensive team. I started off making balanced teams, but I've grown away from them because there are a lot of teams that seem to excel against them.

Hmmm.

Seeing as my team is still in development (although it has come a long way), I'd have to say I like mine balanced.

Why?

I've always needed something to fall back on, to take a breather, and to test my opponent's patience. For a while, my only "wall" was Bronzong, but once he's gone, all I have left is attack attack attack, which isn't so great.

So I've enlisted in trying to find another wall-ish Pokemon that can take a hit and dish it out too.

But as Alice mentioned, gimmicky sets and Pokemon can help pull off a win, just because your opponent might be expecting something else (or not expect something at all, then it's whoops what do I do now).

That's why almost all of my Pokemon have a little bit of an altered moveset. Trying new things can be beneficial, if not gamechanging.

Gimmicky...

It's been a while since my last attempt to make a serious team (almost a year).

I find it a lot more fun to win with a sort of gimmicky/not so common team than an ordinary one. Of course, I try to develop a strategy behind the gimmick, and it is great when it happens to success.

Besides, many times an uncommon set ends fitting well into the metagame, or helps a style of play or a common top tier pokemon, so it opens more options to create a competitive team.
Definitely agree with you. Trick Room teams are pretty fun.

I'll use anything but balanced teams; I've had a good degree of success with stalling teams (not so much in Platinum) and certainly with all-out offensive glass cannon teams. Balanced teams never really seem to work out for me; I get outstalled by stall teams and slaughtered by any all-out offensive team.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I prefer offensive teams that have a few bulky pokemon, such as the new rotom forms. It lets me change the tempo of the game from fast and offensive. Then being able to slow down the game when I want to, for instance using a crocune and just spamming roar to scout.

I usually try to go the balanced method, but with a couple of decent support pokes to...um...support, and good prediction. I like using bulky pokemon. I could never use a stall team, but offensive teams I am still pretty good with.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
I have played all 3 styles before, and although i didnt use stall much, i liked it a lot. It allowed me to control the pace of the game and make it feel like i had my opponent tearing there hair ut. as ToF mentioned, the worst thing is other stall teams. But its a bit odd since my best dp teams have been balance, offensive, and balance heh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)