CAP 5 Stratagem Playtesting

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There's a new kid in town!

Yes, you can see here that Stratagem is up and running on the Create-A-Pokemon Battle Server! As you can also see from the battle log, Mountaineer properly avoids our new Paleo Wave, so perhaps Syclant won't feel too bad against the new fastest, hardest-hitting special attacker in the CAP universe.

This thread will serve as home base for all playtesting discussion related to our newest creation. Have fun playing Stratagem!

SubCMgem will be amazing. Can't say much else for now. Love how CaP 5 ended up, and can't wait for 6 :)

I'd be excited if I actually had access to a computer (is using the awful mess known as wiinternets)

Nonetheless, good job everyone

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here is the finish to the first official battle using Stratagem, contested between Darkie and Magmortified.
(that screenshot above is from tennis and I testing out the new guy..)

In this battle, Magmortified used a CM set and came back from 1-2 to win the match, IIRC. The final blow was a boosted Paleo Wave OHKO on poor Gyarados FTW. At one point, both Darkie and Mag were dueling with CMGem's. Mag won the speed tie, and that paved the way for the win. It was fun watching the two Stratagem go at it head-to-head. In the battle chat, I remarked, "I guess this is what it means to be between a rock and a hard place."

I know, I know... bad pun...

Technician set is surprisingly more viable than I expected! Ancient power works like a charm on fliers. Super effective Giga drains is great for recovery. U-Turn almost always gets him out of a pinch and the last move is being experimented with .Im also finding Dugtrio and Stratagem to make a very fun revenge tag team.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The tech set can surprise you, and upset your whole team if you haven't prepared for it.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Thanks, it looks like my decision to put very few moves that abuse Technician in its movepool has been vindicated.

Hmm I think that's slightly premature to say. Give it a while for people to realise which is the best Ability. People are still trying things out.

I really enjoyed my first battle against Stratagem - but I lost because I hadn't the heart to OHKO it!

So far I've not encountered an Ancientpower user.

The increase in Tyranitar leads is going to be very obvious, meaning that Azelf leads will be a bit screwed.

I noticed that Revenankh pairs nicely with Stratagem, seeing as how Stratagem lures out Blissey and how much Revvy loves to set up on her. Be careful as Tyranitar is a serious threat to this combination

A serious problem. I switched my Syclant into Stratagem and got OHKOed by Ancientpower... I controlled on the team builder and I had Mountaineer... There are also Deck Knight and Latino which can confirm what im saying

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A serious problem. I switched my Syclant into Stratagem and got OHKOed by Ancientpower... I controlled on the team builder and I had Mountaineer... There are also Deck Knight and Latino which can confirm what im saying
Seconded. Basically I had Stealth Rock down and Crobat U-Turned to Scyclant. Scyclant avoided the rocks but got stoned by Ancientpower.

Also, I can check the research topic, but apparently Mold Breaker eliminates Cacturne's Sandstorm damage immunity through Sand Veil. That was pretty funny too, but probably totally legit.

On playtesting notes, the Bulkyish set I'm running has been doing pretty well. The Subs take weak hits like Uturn and survives, and with Sandstorm support, low-grade special attacks don't break it either. Giga Drain's healing effect has given me several extra turns.

Scarf hera and Bullet punch metagross are saying bu bye to stratagem so far. I cant wait to fight the CMgem

Also, I can check the research topic, but apparently Mold Breaker eliminates Cacturne's Sandstorm damage immunity through Sand Veil. That was pretty funny too, but probably totally legit.
Nah, that's a common Shoddy bug. Mold Breaker should only negate the abilities that affect in some form the attacks you use. Sandstorm is a weather condition, so Cacturne should still get the immunity to it (but would not get an evasion bonus if you attacked it).

Is it? I thought that Sand Veil protects Cacturne against the Sandstorm because it's typing does not make it natuarally immune. That way it would make sense if this "protective" ability was removed it would get hit by Sandstorm would it not. How else is it prevented from taking Sandstorm Damage?

For those who whine about Technician, Tech'd Giga Drain is beastly. I tested a CM/AP/FT/GD Tech set today with nice result. Not only it soundly counter Hyppowdon and Suicune, but even Blissey, if she happens to lack a status move, can be beaten 1 on 1.

I remember to say that Giga Drain is more than enough to make Tech viable, and I'm happy to see that, so far, I'm right

DougJustDoug

Seconded. Basically I had Stealth Rock down and Crobat U-Turned to Scyclant. Scyclant avoided the rocks but got stoned by Ancientpower.

On playtesting notes, the Bulkyish set I'm running has been doing pretty well. The Subs take weak hits like Uturn and survives, and with Sandstorm support, low-grade special attacks don't break it either. Giga Drain's healing effect has given me several extra turns.
This is likely a Moutaineer glitch when using U-Turn. I'll look into it. But, it has nothing to do with Stratagem, per se. I suspect Baton Pass might have a similar problem.

:s

Is it just me, or is anyone else saddened by the fact some people are just here for the polls?
Well I stopped participating in CAP before the CAP server went up, and joined again for 5, so I'm not guilty of that :S.

With that said I have an idea going, time to create it and hope its halfway decent...

Wow Congrats everyone on helping with the creation of the fifth CAP and i had fun can 't wait for 6 and Gem is awesome n server especially CMSub.=D

Is it? I thought that Sand Veil protects Cacturne against the Sandstorm because it's typing does not make it natuarally immune. That way it would make sense if this "protective" ability was removed it would get hit by Sandstorm would it not. How else is it prevented from taking Sandstorm Damage?
You can test it easy in the game: Just go to the area where there is permanent sandstorm, there are lots of Cacturnes in the grass. Put a Rampardos or a Pisir on the first slot, and fight a Cacturne. You won't see it taking sandstorm damage, but if you are patient enough and hit it for many turns with weak, 100% accuracy moves (or ideally, with False Swipe), you'll notice they won't ever miss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)