RMT - The Dark(ie) Side of the Mag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
My first CAP rmt. =D Anyhow, me and Darkie teamed up to build a Stratagem team that's been working well lately. Still, improvements can be made. Nothing's perfect except me and darkie on a good day.

The Line-up:

The Team:

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
---

Tar's mainly here to provide valuable Sandstorm support for Stratagem, as well as be a cool anti-lead. Sandstorm breaking Focus Sash, a powerful EQ to batter the common Fidgit and so on. It's helping to keep Rotom and Zapdos off my back. And even serves as a Stratagem check if it isn't too beaten up.

Stratagem @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 64 HP/252 Spd/96 SAtk/96 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Paleo Wave
- Substitute
---

The star of the squad. =D Stratagem sets up a Sub or CM and begins its reign of terror over the opponent's team. It's also one of my team's only real defense against Gyara, sadly. ._. Anywho, the spread coincedentially hits some nice numbers for Calm Mind. 300 Special Attack, 200 Special Defense, and after two CMs and Sandstorm they're both at a nasty 600. A lot of the rest of the team is set up so as to deal with Stratagem's opponents, so there's a good chance I might be able to get that far and kill stuff dead.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/32 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recover
- Perish Song
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
---

Originally, I was using Ape to set up Rocks, but at least Celebi is here to make sure I don't fall prey to rampant Gyarados and Revenankh. Energy Ball is primarily to at least break Stratagem subs. There's not much more to say here. It's Celebi, it walls stuff.

Revenankh (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Hammer Arm
- Shadow Sneak
- Rest
---

The terror of unprepared teams. Rev takes Status, Strata, and other general issues that this team has an issue with. Though Machamp is also being considered as a candidate for the bulky Fighting spot. Rev aims to take in a few Bulk Ups, then hit stuff while absorbing hits with its massive bulk. It can save the game if, by some issue, Stratagem gets taken out, and it has a few times. On the other hand, Machamp can Stone Edge, which'd probably start looking nice once I run into a Gyarados.

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
---

If Stratagem is the new Raikou, then, logically, Dugtrio must follow suit. While it's arguable that my team already has enough Blissey protection, Dugtrio can ensure that fat blob, and another Strata issue - Tyranitar - are out of the game. I used to run Jolly for added Infernape protection, but then Blissey started stalling me out with Wish/Protect/Toxic. ._.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/32 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Metal Sound
---

Metal Sound Zapdos allows me to catch stuff off-guard in preparation for a special assault by Strata, or to scare off stuff like Revenankh. I might end up running Toxic on it, since Celebi could probably handle Revenankh all right, but Metal Sound's my current gig.

So there it is. The incomparable fury of a Darkie-Mag combination.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am by no means an accomplished team rater, so I won't presume to rate this team. But, I do notice that Nape, Gem, Tar and Duggy are water weak. Zapdos is obviously your all-purpose water killer with the double-trouble move combo of Thunderbolt and HP-Grass. But, with all that water-weakness, isn't it exposing your team to big trouble if Zapdos goes down?

Consider this less of a "rating" and more of a question to educate me in how you play this team -- What is the backup plan for handling bulky waters, if Zapdos is gone?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
First thing first: Minor nitpick. Change Tyranitar's EVs to 180 HP / 252 Att / 76 Speed. Its a bit more effective. Also, replace Pursuit or Crunch for Aqua Tail, and lead with it. Its great for scouting switches, and even 2HKOs Hippowdon. It also works great vs Stratagem, since it hits every one, Levitate or Technician.

Anyhow, you have problems with most bulky waters. You don't even have a contingency plan if Zapdos goes down. I know that it probably won't if you play smart, but still. I would advise you replace Infernape with a Celebi. Use the "Uber Lead" set imo. Recover, Grass Knot, Stealth Rock, and Thunder Wave or Leech Seed. This gives your team some much needed healing, and also sets up SR given the time.

Hope this helps guys =)

Edit: Doug beat me but I still solved the problem =P

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Your team really, really relies on Zapdos to stop a lot of threats.

Nasty Plot Togekiss rips through every pokemon on your team except Zapdos. Strategem's Rock STAB and higher speed help, but it can't switch in safely or OHKO. It can also switch in on Dugtrio and can't be trapped.

Same thing with DD Gyarados.

What is Infernape Lead doing for you that another Fake Out lead or SR lead couldn't. Fake Out Kangaskhan for example could get the Sashes off of Ghosts and hit harder, and it could SubPunch as a means to deal with Blissey.

If you need a Stealth rocker, perhaps you could move TTar to the top slot and use Stealth Rock Blissey later. This would also help you with Togekiss if it got Thunder Waved.

"defensive seeder" celebi is one of the best blissey/bulky water killers in the game so consider that over duggy to help take some heat of zapdos as far as handling bulky waters. this opens you up to heatran a but but hopefully revenankh/tar/statagem can keep in in check

throw in twave for the alledged kiss weak but between tar stratagem and zapdos i dont really see it having a field day

your team is raped by gyara, the only hope is to revenge kill with Strategem who is OHKOed by Waterfall on the switch.

He can DD for free on your Dugtrio, Nape and Rev so you should be prepared. Especially if your Nape gets taunted by a faster lead and doesnt get the rocks up.

try something like the aforementioned celebi / poliwrath / vaporeon etc and see what fits best.

I wouldn't be concerned about Togekiss seeing as you have Zapdos and a sandstorm boosted Strategem and an emergence Stone Edge from Duggy.

I would have to have really agree with the posts above........suppose you run into a rain team maybe not even Zappy could be able to beat the whole team but what are the chances of you running it to a rain team?

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
I would like to make a suggestion, which is that you replace Earth Power on Stratagem with Fire Blast. It has a little bit more oomph as a neutral move and it better handles Bronzong.

Your bulky water weakness has already been mentioned, but specifically I think you would have a lot of trouble with Calmcune. God forbid Zapdos is Pursuit'd by a CBTar, Suicune has the potential to sweep your whole team. Even with Celebi there, it's still a massive problem. I would like to note the usefulness of Perish Song on Celebi, to phaze threats such as that. It's worked for Obi.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
Sorry I haven't been replying, guys. Took Tennis' suggestion for the lead Tar, which totally lets me pack Weather Ball, and Celebi, which has stunted my Gyara issues for the moment.

I would like to make a suggestion, which is that you replace Earth Power on Stratagem with Fire Blast. It has a little bit more oomph as a neutral move and it better handles Bronzong.
I actually quite like this idea. Especially since it can do a lot more damage to Skarmory. Which has traditionally took the Rock hit and Whirlwinded me out to rack up passive damage, then Roosting on my Celebi or Rev or something.

Your bulky water weakness has already been mentioned, but specifically I think you would have a lot of trouble with Calmcune. God forbid Zapdos is Pursuit'd by a CBTar, Suicune has the potential to sweep your whole team. Even with Celebi there, it's still a massive problem. I would like to note the usefulness of Perish Song on Celebi, to phaze threats such as that. It's worked for Obi.
I haven't had too much trouble with Suicune, but I guess I've usually always faced it with Zapdos still in the game. =P Perish Song on Celebi sounds cool. Replace Psychic for it?

I haven't had too much trouble with Suicune, but I guess I've usually always faced it with Zapdos still in the game. =P Perish Song on Celebi sounds cool. Replace Psychic for it?
I'd say yes if we were in a standard OU metagame, but I think Psychic is a must with Revenankh lurking around. Ok, you may have some ways to deal with him, but the least free switch-ins you give to him, the better you should fare.

Revenankh isn't a problem if it switches into Perish Song, either, though. If he attempts to set up, he has less time to attack. If he tries to attack, its hits will be rather weak, especially since more often than not, Revenankh will be Careful as opposed to Adamant. That said, I think Perish Song is even more useful in dealing with Revenankh than Psychic. Coming off of a mediocre Special Attack stat with absolutely zero investment in terms of EVs and nature, even a super effective Psychic will not do enough to Revenankh's copious defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)