CAP 6 CAP 6 - Attacking Moves Discussion - See Other Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just going to post some possibly viable Attack Moves for some more discussion right now.I would be making a VERY long post if I were to reason behind all of them, so this post for the most part is to talk about more than the 15 moves or so I have seen in this topic thus far.:

Aerial Ace
Avalanche
Bounce
Drain Punch
Dynamic Punch
Earthquake
Fake Out
Fling
Force Palm
Knock Off
Low Kick
Power Whip
Psycho Cut
Rock Slide
Spark
Superpower
U-turn
Focus Blast
Icy Wind
Water Spout

Hopefully I can get more involved in discussion tomorrow afternoon >_<

I think Knock Off would be good because it's wouldn't be game-breaking and it could mess up some pokémon while still being tankish.

Forgot about Zen Headbutt, yea that would prolly be a bit better, heh. And iirc didn't aragorn's pirate squid have a cutlass? <_<;

I'd say Zen Headbutt would be a better choice over psycho cut, since none of the designs really look... cut... y...
Erh..tell that to Spinda, Mewtwo, Hypno, Alakazam, and Medicham. More than 50% of Psycho Cut user don't even have blades in which to cut so I don't know how that a problem.

Aaah, so it does >>, Whoops...

@GT: ... Durp :(

I feel dumb :I

One other note vis-a-vis Fire Blast: Only two lines of Non-Uber water pokemon get it: Slowpoke and Remoraid. Thus why on my UU team I employ a sneaky Heat Rock Octillery >_>.
And Gyarados >>

Rule 1 of CAP: we can't make anything new, any pokemon we make has
to conform to standards, and must look like this

Kidding, but honestly, there are no rules saying we can't bend the game a bit :/

Also, it might not make sense for this thing to get Fire Blast but... slowpoke gets it and that's... just as bad... or worse

If Wyverii's bird-like fighter wins, then Brave Bird or Drill Peck are interesting. After all, Blaziken does get Brave Bird, and Empoleon does get Drill Peck...
Couldn't agree with you me. If Wyverii's design wins, I would support to addition of Brave Bird and/or Drill Peck.

If the winner has obvious claws, then Shadow Claw and Dragon Claw could be considered.
Dragon Claw yes, Shadow Claw not so much. Call me crazy but based on the in-game description to Shadow Claw, you don't really need claws to use it.

Code:
Shadow Claw
The user slashes with a sharp claw [B]made from shadows[/B]. It has a high critical-hit ratio.
Now abusing this logic here, you could simply say that our Pokemon use the negative energy within the world to form shadowly claws to strike his foes.

Dragon Claw yes, Shadow Claw not so much. Call me crazy but based on the in-game description to Shadow Claw, you don't really need claws to use it.

Code:
Shadow Claw
The user slashes with a sharp claw [B]made from shadows[/B]. It has a high critical-hit ratio.
Now abusing this logic here, you could simply say that our Pokemon use the negative energy within the world to form shadowly claws to strike his foes.
In addition to that, that's pretty much what the anime's representation of it is; Zoe's Glameow forms extended claws made out of shadows when it uses it.

And claws don't really seem to be necessary based on the Pokemon that learn it anyway; Ambipom, Empoleon, Dialga, Darkrai and Giratina all learn it, but don't really have claws.

This is from a while back, but anyway.

How can you say that Ice Shard is useless? It does give our Pokemon a viable option against Salamence, who can generally switch in to our Pokemon's STABs with impunity. Yes, it will probably get other ice moves, but the priority in this case is something to consider when facing the DD and Roost sets in particular.

Outrage is really only going to hit one Pokemon (Salamence, which Ice moves will do more damage to anyway), not to mention that being trapped kind of hinders our Pokemon's tanking abilities. I don't really think Double Edge improves type coverage either.
Unstabbed Ice shard does not do great on Salamence, intimidate or not, without substantial Ev investment. Donphan has 10 more attack points, but still will not 2hko. I do see it as a possible addition to a CB set or something, but without decent investment, salamence will just be able to roost off the damage.

Outrage and Double-edge just seem like logical moves to have. Easily tutorable and just better off mentioned. They do not always need to hit super-effective to be useful, because there aren't a huge amount of pokemon that resist them. I was just making sure the moves were mentioned, if anyone had intentions of using them in movepools.

In addition, Crabhammer should be at least up for discussion. There is no reason to discount it immediately, and is a viable alternative to aqua tail if this has a hammer instead of a tail.

In addition, Crabhammer should be at least up for discussion. There is no reason to discount it immediately, and is a viable alternative to aqua tail if this has a hammer instead of a tail.
Viable choice but Crabhammer implies it has pincers in which to hammer the living daylight's out it's foe which is ironic because Scizor has pincers as well and doesn't learn it. Admittedly though one could say CAP6 use actual crab/lobster for his hammers but that's animal cruelty.

BTW, Would a new move be appropriate at this time and age? Just had an idea about a replacement Fighting for those who don't like none of the side effects from Hammer Arm/Cross Chop/Close Combat.

We have the choice of enough fighting moves right now, each with different drawbacks. It's for the user to choose what they really want, and we should not have to create a new great move, and ignore the limits given in the game.

I'm just going to throw a few ideas out there that could work, like Needle Arm, it helps against some bulky waters, and it can work with fighting, without being displaced like Thunderpunch.

Crunch is viable if the design has teeth or powerful jaws, but even if it doesnt, if Girafarig, Snorunt, Corphish, and Treecko can learn it, its not THAT important that it matches.

Fire Fang could be used over Fire Blast, although it would lose a lot of power against Skarmory and other threats, it makes a bit more sense.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
BTW, Would a new move be appropriate at this time and age? Just had an idea about a replacement Fighting for those who don't like none of the side effects from Hammer Arm/Cross Chop/Close Combat.
I thought of that too, but Low Kick would work just as well (Cept on Blissey where it only gets 60 base power, but it should be fine.) I wouldn't be opposed to something like Paleo Wave though, as I've said before.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What is going on in this thread? We just had a huge PR thread to change the way movepool is discussed and there were a whole slew of guidelines written -- I know because I spent a lot of time writing it up and adding them to the process guide. Yet this movepool thread is the same bullshit "everybody throw out random ideas and post lists of moves" that we have had in the past.

Here is what the revised process guide says about move discussions beyond what is currently posted in the OP:

The Topic Leader will post a list of moves in the OP of the thread. This list will serve as a single point-of-reference for the current state of the discussion. The first list of moves should be compiled by the Topic Leader prior to opening the thread, and will serve as the initial list of moves to begin discussion.

The list should contain all moves that are considered Competitive for the pokemon being created. The Topic Leader has final say for determining whether a move is Competitive, Non-Competitive, or Required. The TL should use these lists for moves that are generally considered Competitive moves.

The list of moves will be separated into three sections indicating the "status" of the move in the current discussion -- Allowed, Disallowed, Controversial, or Pending.
  • Allowed - Moves that have been agreed through general community consensus to be allowed in the pokemon's final movepool
  • Disallowed - Moves that have been agreed through general community consensus to not be allowed in the pokemon's final movepool
  • Controversial - Moves that did not reach general community consensus, and will require a specific vote.
  • Pending - Moves that have not received enough support or opposition to determine whether they are Allowed, Disallowed, or Controversial
The community should make posts arguing for moves to be Allowed or Disallowed. The Topic Leader should recategorize moves as the discussion progresses.

At the conclusion of the Movepool Discussion, the Topic Leader will make a final update to the OP move list and the thread will be locked.

Any Controversial Moves will proceed to be voted on in a Move Poll. Any Controversial moves that receive a sufficient majority of votes, will be added to the Allowed moves list.

Move Discussion Posting Rules
(These should be posted in the OP)
  • The list of moves in this post will serve as the single point-of-reference for the current state of the discussion.

• Post arguments for moves to be Allowed or Disallowed from the pokemon's final movepool. All posts should be presented with reasoning.

• Posting lists of moves is strictly prohibited. Do not copy the TL's list, and then add "Yes/No" or a similarly worthless comment, beside each one. Posts that contain lists of moves will be deleted, even if the post contains additional reasoning and content.

• The Topic Leader will update the list continuously throughout the discussion, using recent posts to determine changes to the move list. Moves may have a fluctuating status as the community debates for or against the move in response to changes in the OP.

• Posts should be based on the current state of the list in the OP. It is the responsibility of each member to check the OP before making any post in the thread. Posts that demonstrate lack of familiarity with the current OP will be deleted.

• The Topic Leader is the sole arbiter for determining "general community consensus". The TL may ignore arguments for or against certain moves, if they feel the argument is not presented with sufficient evidence or reasoning. Do not assume that the existence of a few dissenting posts will ensure that a move will be categorized as Controversial.

• All moves that are considered Competitive for this pokemon are included in the list in the OP. Non-Competitive moves should not be discussed in this thread, unless you feel they are miscategorized and should be considered Competitive (see next rule).

• If you disagree with the TL's categorization of a move as Competitive or Non-Competitive, you can post arguments in this thread, but reasoning must be supplied.
I don't see any rules posted, nor do I see this process being followed. Let's get this straightened out.

I thought of that too, but Low Kick would work just as well (Cept on Blissey where it only gets 60 base power, but it should be fine.) I wouldn't be opposed to something like Paleo Wave though, as I've said before.
You know, I actually forgot about Low Kick. Low Kick does look like a good substitute for Hammer Arm/Cross Chop/Close Combat though I'm alway iffy about variable BP'd moves.

Personally, I was going to suggested an 40 powered move that's like the love child of Quick Attack and Pursuit. Has Daddy's high priority plus Momma's doubling and pursuit ability. You stay in and eat an 80 BP stabbed move, you switch out and you eat an 80 stabbed move on the way out. I do admit, this idea seem better fit on a trapper rather than a decentralizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)