New OU List (January 2009)

I'm disapointed Rhyperior isn't usable in the new UU. Nothing resists its STABs there.

Oh yeah, except for Torterra. But that's what Megahorn is for.

Electivire has reasons for still being OU. First off, Zapdos is in the top 5 meaning Electivire has plenty of chances to come in. And it still has synergy with Gyarados, another top 5.

I hardly see Gallade. It doesn't do much and is easily revenge killed. But the Bulk Up set always seems to take down a Pokemon.
claydol does -_- but then again megahorn still hits it

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well you guys know my opinion anyway.

Still surprised that Electivire and Donphan still make it to OU. Especially the latter because it's not a very good Rapid Spinner this gen / etc.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm disapointed Rhyperior isn't usable in the new UU. Nothing resists its STABs there.

Oh yeah, except for Torterra. But that's what Megahorn is for.
As I abused in the Tipping the Scales tournament, Rhyperior may be OU now, but Rhydon is still solidly NFE. And if you look, it has almost the same stats and the same typing. So just use Rhydon in UU. However, I should point out that it plays a lot differently without the more or less permanent SpD boost from the omnipresent Sandstorm.

Edit: By the way, I use Donphan a lot, and love it. It handles DD Mence, Metagross, Flygon and Scizor (in a pinch) as well as you could want, has priority, and can set up Stealth Rock without the need for a suicide lead (which I hate). It's not the best Rapid Spinner, since it can't use Toxic Spikes and isn't immune to Toxic Spikes, but it definitely has its uses. Electivire, on the other hand, is a mystery to me as well.

As I abused in the Tipping the Scales tournament, Rhyperior may be OU now, but Rhydon is still solidly NFE. And if you look, it has almost the same stats and the same typing. So just use Rhydon in UU. However, I should point out that it plays a lot differently without the more or less permanent SpD boost from the omnipresent Sandstorm.

Edit: By the way, I use Donphan a lot, and love it. It handles DD Mence, Metagross, Flygon and Scizor (in a pinch) as well as you could want, has priority, and can set up Stealth Rock without the need for a suicide lead (which I hate). It's not the best Rapid Spinner, since it can't use Toxic Spikes and isn't immune to Toxic Spikes, but it definitely has its uses. Electivire, on the other hand, is a mystery to me as well.
Rhydon also dosen't get solid rock but I guess a non Recoil Double Edge is nice

I think evire's just scraping the one in twenty usages border. Donphan's down there too. But since rotom-a was invented, I think rapid spinning itself has dropped in popularity, given that rotom-a is almost the perfect spin blocker.
And Empoleon definitely deserved the OU, it's typing is crazy. I haven't seen flygon much, but I haven't played much lately either. Rhyperior never should have even left OU in the first place. HP, Attack, and Defense stats like that are definitely OU, and ttar's reign of sand over the metagame really helps him out.

Why is it that when I see X-Acts name on a thread, I automatically read it?

I always wondered why Flygon wasn't in OU ever since Garchomp left (I figured the Uber dragon outclassed Flygon in every way). Anyhow glad to see that.

So just use Rhydon in UU
I suppose he could be used as a more powerful version of Golem. But would he be overpowered? I mean, many of the UU Pokemon with 130 Attack (Absol, Flareon) have trouble switching in IMO but Rhydon has some niftry resistances + an immunity. He also won't have to worry about Stealth Rock much.

Plus with his power, he'll be doing around 50% minimum to a 252HP/Impish Steelix given max Attack (no Choice Band). Not many things will enjoy switching into STAB Earthquakes or even Rock Slides/Rock Blast/whatever Rock Move

Sorry for going off topic, just wanted to put my two cents in

It means that you get the results from the first month, and multiply by 1, the results from the second month, and multiply by 3, and the results from the third month, and multiply by 20, then add these results together. Then, you divide by 24, the total number of numbers. It means the results will be biased toward the later months will still containing data from earlier months.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I may be responsible, in part, for the E-vire usage. I just can't help myself.

Anyway, Rhydon was too strong for UU in the 3rd Gen, although that was before the great divide. It should still function like a better Golem. Of course, Golem's rapidly deteriorating popularity says that Rhydon may not be as good as it once was (certainly not the RBY standard)...

EDIT: Yay! Yanmega escaped the crunch, and is STILL OU!

This means Gallade will now be added to the UU + BL Mixed Tier testing in order to sort out these tiers right? I will be playing UU a lot as of late...

I have to say, as a temporary user of Electivire, that I don't really get why it's OU either. My only guess is that it has a good physical attack stat and a good physical movepool, and with prediction can get a free speed boost. I tried that in the field at one point and I couldn't make it work.
Empoleon and Flygon going to OU, however, is not surprising since I've come across many of both in battle.

Well you guys know my opinion anyway.

Still surprised that Electivire and Donphan still make it to OU. Especially the latter because it's not a very good Rapid Spinner this gen / etc.
Actually, Colonel M, Donphan is a good spinner in Standard for its immunity / resistances against most of the Rotom formes when it came out. It also lays SR out on the field, and can wall a bit too.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks a bunch X-Act!! I guess this list is a bigger deal than most, since now marks the start of the bl/uu combination, this list dictates who and who cannot give it a go in UU~!!

I'll be sad that Flygon won't get his chance down there, but as much as it's now seen in OU, I guess it really didn't have a chance.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't want to turn this into an Electivire hate fest, but I have to agree with wildfire. People really do seem to underestimate him. He's really not that bad - in actual fact, he makes a pretty mean late game cleaner. The problem arises when you try to use him in the midgame to weaken things. That is really not his forte, and he should be hidden until the very end of a match where he cleans things up excellently. He may not be a Lucario or a Scizor, but he is still an excellent sweeper, and all the more effective as nobody bothers to really prepare for him anymore.

Congratulations to Empoleon for making the OU list. I haven't been playing a lot the last two months, so I really didn't see it coming.

Why is it that when I see X-Acts name on a thread, I automatically read it?
That is what the experts refer to as "love".

Empoleon definitely deserves the OU move, the Subpetaya set is too good :)

And Yanmega BARELY made the cut, it was like 55 last time. And also surprised Smeargle didn't make it, he seemed like a shoe in from last month.

dude I love electivire! I pair him up with my gara, and bam he cleans up the team. ice punch, fire punch, and thunder punch own, everyone sends in scior for set up fodder then they get hit with a fire punch and are done!

I'm surprised people still use Cresselia, especially with all the Scizor and Tyranitar running amuck. I mean seriously, what does it do besides spam twave? It can't even provide its team with phazing or stealth rock support. It's setup fodder for just about everything that can survive its laughably weak attacks and is outclassed by Suicune as a CMer for the most part.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ever since Garchomp was sent to the Uber tier, I saw Flygon moving on up (to the East Side). Good to see it happen, too.

Go Flygon!!! I am a huge fan of whatever set tyou use!!
Go Empoleon!!! I am also a huge fan of your subpetaya set!!
Go Rhyperior! I am not a fan of you, but I like Subperior.
I think Rhyperior rose because of the new Subperior set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)