CAP 7 CAP 7 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is where we discuss the general goal of the next Create-A-Pokemon project -- CAP 7. The Concept will be a guiding force throughout the ensuing project, to ensure the the final result is a cohesive competitive pokemon. Any discussions, suggestions, or submissions in later topics, that do not support the spirit of the Concept, will be moderated by the Topic Leader.

Concepts must be presented as high-level descriptions of a general idea. They cannot be detailed pokemon designs. Since we have polls to determine each aspect of the pokemon, we cannot allow any specific features of the pokemon to be determined by the details of the Concept.

The following rules must be followed when submitting a Concept:

• One submission per person. You may edit your Concept, but you may not change the fundamental premise after it has been posted. If editing your concept, please edit the original post instead of posting a new revision. Do not bump your Concept after you have posted it. If people do not comment on it, so be it.

• Do not duplicate or closely-resemble Concepts already posted by others. It is your responsibility to read through all previous submissions in this thread to ensure you are complying with this rule. Ignorance or laziness is not an excuse.

• Specific Pokemon types or type combos cannot be included or excluded in a Concept. Nor can other characteristics of the Concept specifically result in in the inclusion or exclusion of Types. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
    "This is a Dragon pokemon with..."
    "The pokemon should be immune to Ghost attacks..."
    "The pokemon should have at least 7 resistances..."
    "The pokemon should get STAB on Thunderbolt.."​

• Specific Abilities are not allowed. This applies to existing abilities and new abilities. Do not attempt to circumvent this rule by mentioning specific battle effects that can only be achieved by the implementation of an ability. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
    "This pokemon should have a defensive ability like Intimidate or Marvel Scale..."
    "This pokemon has an ability that steals the opponent's held item..."
    "When this pokemon is switched in, all weather conditions are nullified..."​

• Movepools or lists of moves are not allowed. A specific move can be mentioned if it is the basis for the entire concept. For example, the Concept "Rapid Spinner" would obviously mention the move Rapid Spin.

• Specific stat bias, base stats, or base stat ratings are not allowed. It is acceptable to use descriptive phrases like "fast", "bulky", "strong attacker", etc -- since there are a variety of ways a pokemon can fit those descriptions without specifically requiring certain stats. But, do not use overly-specific descriptions that would narrowly constrain the pokemon's base stat spread.

• Indications of Physical/Special bias are discouraged, but acceptable if it is essential to the Concept.

• Do not refer to any part of the pokemon's artistic design. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
    "This is a bright blue pokemon..."
    "The pokemon looks like a..."
    "The pokemon uses its long tail to..."​

• A Concept Submission consists of a Name and a Description. Please use the following format for posting Concepts:
    Name: Concept name
    Description: A short description of the concept.
  • You may include a separate explanation of your Concept in your submission post, but it is not part of the official Concept submission. This explanation may make suggestions, even specific suggestions, regarding the possible implementation of the Concept. This explanation should help facilitate discussion of the Concept -- but the explanation is NOT part of the Concept and will be omitted from the polls and any future use of the Concept. Since your explanation is non-binding, regarding future polls and threads, it will not be evaluated for purposes of determining if your concept is legal or illegal.

• Don't get too clever with the name. If the essence of the concept is not intuitively obvious in the name, then you are hurting your chances of people understanding it. If the essence of your concept cannot be expressed in a few words, then you need to seriously re-evaluate your concept.

• Concept descriptions should be short. A sentence or two is normal. Long descriptions are invariably too specific or too convoluted. Keep it short. Do NOT include your explanation of the concept in the Description.

It is the submitter's responsibility to figure out how to make a legal submission within the rules listed above. Do not complain about the difficulty of making a submission in this thread. There are many, many legal concepts that can be presented within the rules. Here are few examples of good and bad Concepts from previous projects:

Good Concepts from Past Projects
"Pure Utility Pokemon"
"Anti-Ghost Rapid Spinner"
"True Garchomp Counter"
"Great Lead Pokemon"
"Ultimate Weather Abuser"
"Status Counter"

Bad Concepts from Past Projects
"Ice-Resisting Dragon"
"Super Luck User"
"STAB Explosion Glass Cannon"
"Auto-Stealth Rock Remover"
"A Pokemon with Special Intimidate"
"Pyrokinetic Pokemon (Fire/Psychic)"
"Special Guts"
"Typing Means Nothing"​

Here's a sample of a legal Concept post. This is not an actual submission. I'm just using it to illustrate the Name, Description, and explanation. :

Concept: "Kingdra of the Sun"
Description: A good pokemon with a varied movepool under normal conditions. But, it becomes a dangerous sweeping force in sunny weather.

I think Sunny Day is underutilized in the current metagame and I would like us to make a new pokemon that could make Sunny Day teams playable in OU, much like Kingdra almost single-handedly makes Rain teams viable in OU. Typing could be just about anything, although Fire and/or Grass are the most obvious. Water typing might be interesting to help it stop Heatran from becoming even more of a beast once the Sun goes up, and ruining the fun for this pokemon. Chlorophyll would be an easy way to make a good sweeper, but Solar Power doesn't get the love it should, and might be an interesting option. There are lots of nice abilities that could help this thing do its job. I think fiery art designs are always cool and I can imagine this pokemon having lots of colorful fire effects, if we make it part Fire.
Note that all the "illegal stuff" is in the explanation. The official submission is very carefully worded to not specifically dictate anything in later polls.

Please try to remember that we are simply pointing the project in a general direction, we are not trying to decide anything right now. We have several weeks of polls ahead of us where EVERYTHING about this pokemon will be dissected, discussed, voted, and decided. The Concept is a very basic guide for the creation process. It is hard to provide solid concept descriptions without basically designing the entire pokemon right off the bat. Submissions should be written and chosen very carefully, to avoid these problems.

Concept: Variety
Description: This Pokemon, when bought to the field leaves the opponent thinking 'What set is it running?"

Well, in the concept, you have a Pokemon that has lot of sets and when the opponent sees it wondering if it is choiced, status absorber, tricker or a tank (just examples). So this Pokemon has a lot of variety and can fit into a lot of different roles in a team

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Concept: The Anti-CAP CAP.
Desciption: A pokemon whose primary purpose is to score Super-effective hits against most of the current CAP pokemon, while also addressing current metagame threats.

While this does bias certain types more than others, it provides for a new way to mix up the metagame with something that moves it away from Togekiss, Zapdos, and Jirachi. The ability could go in multiple directions depending on what we want it to stop.

Concept: Trickier-than-trick
Description: A Pokemon that, through ability or some other factor, doesn't mind being hit with the move Trick, allowing it to safely come in predicted uses of it, while still being viable in the current meta-game.

Trick has gotten very common in the meta-game and it can really wreck a Pokemon. However, there's nothing in standard right now that's really immune to the potential effects of Trick. Thus, this Pokemon.

The obvious way of doing this would be to give it the ability Sticky Hold, of course. However, there are other options, such as making it totally immune to the effects of any choice item, or allowing it to switch moves when holding a choice item but at the cost of it getting treated like a Life Orb, with a 1.3x boost in that stat and taking 10% damage with each attack. Then there are the options such as allowing it to run all choice sets viably and not being hindered by any Choice item as a result. There could also potentially other ways of doing it, such as an ability that would force the Trick to fail and for the user to be forced to drop the item that was attempted to be Tricked, but I think that's good for this part of the process.

After being beaten by a stall team, I have changed my idea...
Concept: The Unbeatable Snowman
Description: A above average sweeper that becomes beastly in hail.

Basically, Hail teams pretty much suck. I recently attempted a hail team, and it seemed as if everyone aside from Mamo was in UU. For an OU stall team this is unacceptable. This Warrior of Hail might not even be Ice type, to avoid the common weaknesses of Fire, Fighting, Rock and Steel. It would just have to be immune to hail.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Concept: Vanity
Description: A pokemon who can make it self incredibly strong while weakening everybody else on it's team

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Name: Ultimate Scout
Description: A Pokemon that is very capable of forcing the opponent to reveal vital information about their team members and their moves using various techniques.

Scouting is an increasingly important role in the Platinum metagame. Moves like U-Turn, Substitute and Protect are highly valued for their ability to give us such vital information as what kind of responses do your opponents have to your sweepers, what hidden moves do they have, and so forth. Getting this information early on allows you to prepare yourself for any threats your opponent has waiting in the wings and come up with a game plan. This Pokemon would probably need resistances to common attacking types, particularly ones backed up by Choice items, as those allow for the best opportunity to U-Turn and reveal a counter. It wouldn't have to have amazing offenses, but enough to scare the opponent into making some revealing switches.

Concept: Immunity
Description: A Pokemon that, while not necessarily bulky, utilizes a vast array of immunities to wall many Pokemon

One of the funnest parts of Pokemon (in my opinion) is trying to outpredict your opponent. Many powerful moves can rack in a high reward, but through prediction one can neutralize their effect. An immunity is obviously the best way to switch in, taking no damage except for from entry hazards. Especially if you can bring it in on a Choice move, you can really take the upper hand for a turn. A Pokemon with many immunities would have many opportunities to do this.

Concept:The Monkeywrench Arsenal
Description: A pokemon with a large,diverse movepool specializing in disruption.

In pokemon, there are a lot of speciality moves that are designed to gunk up opposing pokemon strategies, such as snatch, worry seed, heal block ect., but are rarely used as players opt for safer options. I would like to see an offensive pokemon that specializes in these types of moves. The concept could also be expanded to underused speciality attacks as well, such as multi hit attacks or trapping attacks, but it doesn't have to.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Concept: Easy Switch-in
Description: A pokemon that can switch in on various threats without minding, and retaliating in some way.

Similar to how Magnezone switches into Skarmory without any threats, this pokemon would be able to switch in on numerous attacks, and be able to either ensure a kill just like a revenge killer, or be able to get a free turn to support the team, whether it be entry hazards or status. This pokemon should be able to take hits on the switch in, and give back to the opposing team in any way possible.

Concept: Blank Slate
Description: A pokemon that can be good at anything, while not exceptional, it can still fill any role in any team.

This poke would be very hard to predict, by design, and hopefully would be versatile enough to take care of 3-5 top threats depending on the stats and movepool. Don't misunderstand, however, I wouldn't dare suggest a poke that does everything at one time, but rather a poke that can do any one thing per build, be it being a sponge or being a sweeper, but not both at the same time, obviously.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Why do we want more stall? There is already plenty of stall in CAP, if not too much. :/

Concept: Partner in Crime
Description: This Pokemon pairs up well with another, preexisting Pokemon. Similar, in base, to other Pokemon-pairings like "Celetran" or "Gyaravire." This Pokemon can work together to better accomplish one, or even both Pokemons' goals in the pairing.

I think it would be a good learning experience to see how a Pokemon we specifically built to be used with another Pokemon would work in regards to the partnered Pokemon, its effect on the metagame, and how a Pokemon works when it's got something else that can help cover it. We could discuss which Pokemon that this concept would be paired with in Concept Assessment, if it gets that far.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Concept: The Anti Stall
Description: A pokemon through use of movepool, stats, or ability hampers or in some way deters the opponent from using stalling techniques.

Ok, so I thought about it long and hard, and I think this is definitely the concept I want to submit.

Let's think about where exactly we could go with this.
  • We could go scrappy rapid spinner because god knows stall would hate that shit.
  • We could go obscene base stats and grind stall into the dust through sheer power with a choice band and one side of the spectrum
  • We could go mixed attacking.
  • We can go Taunt + Boosting moves
  • We could go "ultimate tricker"
There are tons of ways to accomplish this. And if anyone has played the game atm, the game seems pretty polarized between extreme stall and extreme offense, and in my opinion, stall is winning.

This pokemon doesn't have to, and isn't meant to be the end all be all anti-stall Pokemon. But it should have an answer to some stall threats, and be able to beat them.

concept:speed is not a factor
description:a pokemon whose moveset allows it to move around the field, where ever it may benefit.

the current movelist that exist allows for a poke to learn a variety of moves with both negative and positive priority. the ability to choose when one will act has a huge impact on how one can control the match.
truth is that, speed WILL be a factor though. otherwise you will have problems with other priority users. also, we have to remember that it won't have just priority affecting moves.

Concept:Strange Attacker
Description:A pokemon that can sweep rather well despite being limited to rarely used attacking types (for example: dragon, normal, poison).

One of the most interesting things I've noticed about the CAP metagame is that several normally infeasable attacking types (flying, psychic, steel) are much more commonly used in order to take out certain CAP-specific threats. Because of this, one has to build their team differently based on the new attacking types being thrown around.

Basically, I want this CAP to make rare attacking types more common by using them in its sweep, further differentiating CAP's metagame from standard's.

Concept: Better Baton Passer
Description: A pokemon that can participate in Baton Pass chains very well.

Stall teams are big right now, and most wall breakers seem to either end up being wall-able or broken. Faster taunt would really make for more of a lead than a wall-stopper, and a great trick user would only serve to further strengthen trick (possibly break it).

Instead, I propose that we use a different way to stop this. A great Baton Passer who can just start a chain instead of trying to break them. Maybe it could finally make BP Chains a good strategy in standard.

Concept: Nullifier
Description: A pokemon that is able to stop the opponent from doing what it is suppose to.

Most of CAP is based around the combination of ability, power, and typing (Revvy with Shed Skin and Stratagem come to mind immediately). This concept seeks to disrupt this synergy and ending the combination of abilities. This could be done through things such as an ability that cancels out others, a move that could either stop immunities/resistances through abilities or typing, or another factor such as item abuse.

Mag's idea sounds the best by far. It is both fun and innovative, yet requires understanding the metagame to figure out what our partner Pokemon can do to benefit/benefit from the existence of another Pokemon on the same team.

IE which Pokemon the base Pokemon draws in, how these Pokemon attack it, how to either counter and remove these pokemon from play or use them as set up bait.

it can be as simple as the Tyranitar-Rhyperior relationship where TTar's Sandstream boosts Rhyperiors defense and the fact that TTar has similar counters to Rhyperior allows it to act as a lure. or it could be more complex like the Gliscor-->Metagross Baton Pass chain.

Concept: Uncommon Move User
Description: Like it says up there, there are a lot of moves that aren't used in the metagame.

I suggest that CAP7 can utilize uncommon moves very effectively. For example, maybe CAP7's Attract has a higher chance of infatuation? Also, this "Uncommon Move User" could also only be stopped by other uncommon moves like Haze or Fury Swipes. I think that it would maybe bring less prediction into the metagame with it.

Note: I'm not really giving any good examples, but people should have a good idea of what I'm saying. :P

And on the side... I too like Mag's concept. It sounds like fun and would possibly give us a better understanding of other pokemon CAP7 can fight side-to-side with.

Concept: Inaccuracy Abuser
Description: This Pokemon's offensive stat may not be SUPER, but it is definitely decent and it is able to utilize extremely strong but inaccurate moves very well, and has a great variety of them to choose from; can be unpredictive...

Concept: Stay Or Leave?
Description: Pokemon that is able to safely stat-up and sweep, or instead choose to Baton Pass the boosts.

Something like this would function similar to Scizor. I think it would be a great, refreshing addition to the CAP metagame.

I like Beej's idea too.

Name: Don't Switch, Bitch

Description:
This pokemon could punish switching in some way, possibly through an ability or move. The best part is that with a pokemon that is designed for forcing switches, it could have any sort of stats, so it would not have to join the multitude of defensive CAP pokemon.

I also like mag and beej's ideas.

The problem I have with Mag's is that we will basically start a discussion on everyone's favorite pokemon. And besides, since it wouldn't be set in stone, everyone would submit something that would help their favorite pokemon. Chaos would soon brew similar to the last EVO project. People would get sore about their favorite losing. It easily be the most difficult CAP ever.

Concept: As Ackbar said "IT'S A TRAP"
Description: Pokemon that can effectively use both trapping moves like block/mean look ect. and psudo trapping moves like wrap and co while still being viable in a standard OU metagame.

the only two pokemon that currently exist that can acually pull of this are umbreon who has decent defense and mean look passing but is slow has hell and weak to common attacks and smeargle who is just fast enough to pull of a simliar set but has wet paper bag defenses.

Both of these pokemon can't really harm anything on their own too

This pokemon is both able to use trapping moves and acually pose a threat outside of them if needed.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Concept: Parasite
Description: An OU viable pokemon who drains HP to win the battle and copy stats.

I want to see a Giga Drain or Drain Punch users, with Technician to make it viable. With Psych Up to equals the foe. Maybe a bulky and slow pokemon who can resist the foe's attacks. Maybe with a lot of resistances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)