Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - January 2009

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
NFEs in new UU

I have a bit of time, and am interested in NFEs so I went through the New UU stats and picked out the more common NFEs.

27 | Chansey | 5624 | 6.44%
MiniBliss. It can't use the elemental attacks any more with its rubbish SpA, but Seismic Toss replaces it well enough. Very useful to keep special certain threats in check.

59 | Porygon2 | 2787 | 3.19

Was a full evolution in previous gens, was BL before. Whats interesting about it is that in OU it is 47th and on 3.62% of teams. As has been said before this is largely due the the lack of good traceable abilitys in UU compared to OU.
The differences in how they are used are, UU has more Download P2's (9% against only 2%), less leftovers (85%/95%), significantly less Bold nature (53%/84%) and more Modest or Quiet natures, overall more offensive EV spreads, and slightly more diversity in attacks. My take on this is that some people are using P2 offensively in UU, where as in OU PZ does it better. Also possibly UU needs less defences to take the more common hits.

65 | Scyther | 2527 | 2.9%
Scyther barely counts as a NFE, it was alowed in UU before the addition of most and is a decent sweeper I suppose.

76 | Magneton | 2031 | 2.33
The first of the NFEs that has never had much use in any DP metagame. Unlike its evolution in OU, Magneton has trouble trapping many of the most common UU steel types. A large proportion of both Registeel and Steelix carry Earthquake, and Magneton lacks the power to 1KO either of them. This seems to have forced almost half of Magneton to carry Magnet Rise, and made its most common item Leftovers unlike Magnezone's favourite: Choice Scarf.

Hidden Power Fire is also quite common at 37% as its best option against both of the steels it intends to trap, with the next most common being Ground (24%), Ice (16%), and Grass (14%). Its also nice to see 100% of Mags in UU running Magnet Pull, in OU 218 times they used Sturdy..

83 | Rhydon | 1706 | 1.95%
Rnyhorn is used pretty much the same way as Rhyperior, the top 6 moves are in exactly the same order. Items are similar (a few more CBDon), and Ice moves are less needed in UU. Not that much to say here.

90 | Hippopotas | 1543 | 1.77%
Leading:
16 | Hippopotas | 1255 | 1.44%

Hippopotas is another interesting case, it has never been viable in any competitive metagame (bar LC) and is used almost entirely as a support Pokemon. Its stats and pretty much everything about it are well below average so many people think of it as simple a liability to a team. Here is how it is used:
Item: 43% Leftovers, 42% Focus Sash, 12% Choice Band.
Interesting to see the balance between Sash and Leftovers, obviously from the players experience it often survives long enough for the slow healing of Leftovers to outweigh the one of survival from Sash.
EVs: A majority max HP and Def, while a few (25%) go for Max Attack instead of Defence.

As the stats show most of Hippo's are leads, and most have SR. Other common attacks are EQ, Slack Off, Roar, Protect and Toxic. It seems to try to do as much damage as possible through indirect means.

Its also nice to note that a NFE got more use than Articuno, Entei, Regigigigwhatever, Sheddy or Shuckle.

The next ones got very little use, I'll just give a list:
109 | Pikachu | 1107 | 1.27%
125 | Gligar | 832 | 0.95%
130 | Wynaut | 739 | 0.85% (now banned, lol)
132 | Sneasel | 645 | 0.74%
135 | Gabite | 597 | 0.68 (second best dragon in UU, used more than Wailord)
138 | Trapinch | 550 | 0.63
Supprised this is not more common, its one of the best (read: only) trappers in UU.
141 | Haunter | 482 | 0.55
Hardly worse then Gengar, ok the speed drop is bad but other than that.. and yet its this low?
146 | Piloswine | 407 | 0.47
30 less base attack/speed and 10 less HP means a lot.
151 | Kadabra | 316 | 0.36
Now this is a bit odd. Other that drops to its already lol defences and attack, it lost 15 SpA and 15 Spe. It still has 120/105 special sweeping stats. Maybe its just outclassed by Espeon?

And thats enough.
Anyway it will be interesting to see if these newly viable NFEs get an analysis.

I seen several Wobbuffets switch in to scarf Darkrai's Dark void to beat it, but its not a good idea for a couple of reasons. First of all, many Scarfrais have started to trick first, as this beats Wobbuffet. Second of all, some Darkrai leads have focus sash. One of the great things about Wobbuffet is that he completly shuts Lugia down. if Lugia whirwinds, he gets encored, which often means he is tuck using roost or reflect. if Wobbuffet encores an attack, Wobbuffet will almost always kill Lugia, which can open some teams to a Rayquaza sweep.

I am aslo quite shocked at Heracross's usage, he is pretty much the best switch in to Dark Void in the game!

Edit:Wobbuffet doesn't like the rare trick specs lugia at at.
Theorymon: Even if Lugia gets encored on Whirlwind, he can just Whirlwind the next turn; it's not like it must switch, so you still can't risk of set-ups but only best choice is for straight-attacking.

And can someone still put up an explanation why is Ivysaur ranked #50 on the Suspect Ladder? Venusaur is only #64.

Metagross is #1 lead the month after I start using him. Coincidence? I think not! Also, some things to notice.
43: Dragonite
The original dragon gets no love, although he DOES have some advantages over mence, most notably ice beam, thunderbolt, superpower and agility, which makes him a very effective mixed sweeper.
52: Umbreon
One of the eeveelutions is getting close to being OU. My influence on shoddy is amazing! MUAHAHAHAHA

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Theorymon: Even if Lugia gets encored on Whirlwind, he can just Whirlwind the next turn; it's not like it must switch, so you still can't risk of set-ups but only best choice is for straight-attacking.
No. It works like this
Wobb swaps in on Lugia's Reflect/Roost
Now Lugia has no options (unless it has Toxic).

Lugia's Whirlwind has negative priority, and therefore Wobb moves first and Encores the PREVIOUS move used, basically keeping Lugia from being able to Whirlwind

lol. I've just read that 98% of Walrein are used in conjunction with Abomasnow in UU. To be honest, I expected it to be higher.

Hardly worse then Gengar, ok the speed drop is bad but other than that.. and yet its this low?
Now this is a bit odd. Other that drops to its already lol defences and attack, it lost 15 SpA and 15 Spe. It still has 120/105 special sweeping stats. Maybe its just outclassed by Espeon?
Both of them don't have Focus Blast. This severly hurts their type coverage by making them unable to hit Steels hard. And by Steels, I mean Registeel, whose 150 base sdef will wall them all day. The best they can do is trick Scarfs/Specs onto said Steels, but Choicing them is sort of asking to get Pursuited. Mismagius does levitating Ghost better, and Espeon does fast, hard-hitting Psychic better. There's no reason to use either.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks to Whirlwinds negitive priority, Wobbuffet encores the move used before it, which is most commonly ether Reflect or Roost.

Edit:Beaten by Jibaku, lol

I think it's intersesting Rhyperior is falling while his fellow two new OUs, Flygon and Empoleon are moving on up. Porygon2, who looked to be falling to NU now might see OU. And Gengar is finally out of the Top 10. Cool month, in particular I'm surprised to see two Pokemon break 100,000.

Much thanks, Doug. I might say more stuff when I'm done digging in this fun pile of statistics.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Both of them don't have Focus Blast. This severly hurts their type coverage by making them unable to hit Steels hard. And by Steels, I mean Registeel, whose 150 base sdef will wall them all day. The best they can do is trick Scarfs/Specs onto said Steels, but Choicing them is sort of asking to get Pursuited. Mismagius does levitating Ghost better, and Espeon does fast, hard-hitting Psychic better. There's no reason to use either.
Oh, I didn't notice they lost any moves. I guess that explains it pretty well then.
Maybe in NU....

No. It works like this
Wobb swaps in on Lugia's Reflect/Roost
Now Lugia has no options (unless it has Toxic).

Lugia's Whirlwind has negative priority, and therefore Wobb moves first and Encores the PREVIOUS move used, basically keeping Lugia from being able to Whirlwind
Oh right. I missed that. Then this will work on Giratina as well (special Giratinas).

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks a ton for this Doug, I've been waiting for this so eagerly for goodness knows how long. We now have UU stats! I'm gonna get a hot drink then spend the evening perusing through the numbers behind this new metagame =).

Once again, thanks so much!

scizor/mence are by far the most commonly used combo in OU. Time to use ape more I think :D. You're awesome doug. This is priceless info.
Not with Latias around, poor Apes going to move out of the top ten with that counter prominent.

Scizor is still number one, thank god, but Salamence just might pass him this month. Unless ScarfLatias becomes popular...
I'm guessing Latias will hit #1, if not just because people will want to test it (apart from those who did Suspect Testing).

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
First off, thank you for the stats Doug. You are a very hard worker, and your commitment to the site is amazing. Keep up the good work man.

Now, what I'd like to here is look at the top 50 of UU, and I want to see how many of the original UUs stayed in there, and how many were originally BLs. For the pokemon that were in old UU, I'll say UU, and the old BLs I'll say BL. NFE will count as BL for the purposes of this post since they weren't allowed in UU before. I know that sounds obvious, but I don't want anyone misunderstanding my post saying that I'm trying to tier pokemon.

Raikou BL
Registeel BL
Shaymin BL
Staraptor BL
Milotic BL
Steelix UU
Froslass UU
Roserade BL
Clefable UU
Gallade BL
Spiritomb BL
Mismagius BL
Claydol UU
Crobat BL
Blaziken BL
Azumarill BL
Hitmontop UU
Slowbro BL
Ambipom BL
Uxie BL
Arcanine BL
Drapion UU
Abomasnow BL
Feraligatr BL
Nidoqueen UU
Torterra BL
Chansey BL
Typhlosion BL
Hariyama BL
Walrein UU
Houndoom BL
Moltres BL
Rotom UU
Ludicolo BL
Honchkrow BL
Umbreon BL
Venusaur UU
Blastoise UU
Swellow UU
Absol UU
Espeon BL
Toxicroak UU
Glaceon UU
Magmortar BL
Sceptile BL
Miltank UU
Kabutops UU
Lanturn UU
Medicham BL
Regirock BL

These are our top 50 UUs.

Originally BL - 31

Originally UU

Personally, I don't find that to be bad. A lot of the popular old UUs stayed in the top 50, which disproves the theory that when all of the BLs got brought down to UU, that the game would just be completely dominated by originally BL pokemon.

Wtf is with the Deo-e leads in Ubers? They basically suck now...

And I think we all need to point to panamaxis for all those frickin Metagross leads. I know I tried it out right after using him :D

Wow thanks Doug, this is awesome. I just love me some numbers.

Nice to see Infernape getting some love <3 but he's going to get raped by Latias =( Now I have to go fix my team...

P2 also getting some love. One of the more underrated pokemon in OU. Just keep on rising!

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I have a bit of time, and am interested in NFEs so I went through the New UU stats and picked out the more common NFEs.

27 | Chansey | 5624 | 6.44%
MiniBliss. It can't use the elemental attacks any more with its rubbish SpA, but Seismic Toss replaces it well enough. Very useful to keep special certain threats in check.

59 | Porygon2 | 2787 | 3.19

Was a full evolution in previous gens, was BL before. Whats interesting about it is that in OU it is 47th and on 3.62% of teams. As has been said before this is largely due the the lack of good traceable abilitys in UU compared to OU.
The differences in how they are used are, UU has more Download P2's (9% against only 2%), less leftovers (85%/95%), significantly less Bold nature (53%/84%) and more Modest or Quiet natures, overall more offensive EV spreads, and slightly more diversity in attacks. My take on this is that some people are using P2 offensively in UU, where as in OU PZ does it better. Also possibly UU needs less defences to take the more common hits.

65 | Scyther | 2527 | 2.9%
Scyther barely counts as a NFE, it was alowed in UU before the addition of most and is a decent sweeper I suppose.

76 | Magneton | 2031 | 2.33
The first of the NFEs that has never had much use in any DP metagame. Unlike its evolution in OU, Magneton has trouble trapping many of the most common UU steel types. A large proportion of both Registeel and Steelix carry Earthquake, and Magneton lacks the power to 1KO either of them. This seems to have forced almost half of Magneton to carry Magnet Rise, and made its most common item Leftovers unlike Magnezone's favourite: Choice Scarf.

Hidden Power Fire is also quite common at 37% as its best option against both of the steels it intends to trap, with the next most common being Ground (24%), Ice (16%), and Grass (14%). Its also nice to see 100% of Mags in UU running Magnet Pull, in OU 218 times they used Sturdy..

83 | Rhydon | 1706 | 1.95%
Rnyhorn is used pretty much the same way as Rhyperior, the top 6 moves are in exactly the same order. Items are similar (a few more CBDon), and Ice moves are less needed in UU. Not that much to say here.

90 | Hippopotas | 1543 | 1.77%
Leading:
16 | Hippopotas | 1255 | 1.44%

Hippopotas is another interesting case, it has never been viable in any competitive metagame (bar LC) and is used almost entirely as a support Pokemon. Its stats and pretty much everything about it are well below average so many people think of it as simple a liability to a team. Here is how it is used:
Item: 43% Leftovers, 42% Focus Sash, 12% Choice Band.
Interesting to see the balance between Sash and Leftovers, obviously from the players experience it often survives long enough for the slow healing of Leftovers to outweigh the one of survival from Sash.
EVs: A majority max HP and Def, while a few (25%) go for Max Attack instead of Defence.

As the stats show most of Hippo's are leads, and most have SR. Other common attacks are EQ, Slack Off, Roar, Protect and Toxic. It seems to try to do as much damage as possible through indirect means.

Its also nice to note that a NFE got more use than Articuno, Entei, Regigigigwhatever, Sheddy or Shuckle.

The next ones got very little use, I'll just give a list:
109 | Pikachu | 1107 | 1.27%
125 | Gligar | 832 | 0.95%
130 | Wynaut | 739 | 0.85% (now banned, lol)
132 | Sneasel | 645 | 0.74%
135 | Gabite | 597 | 0.68 (second best dragon in UU, used more than Wailord)
138 | Trapinch | 550 | 0.63
Supprised this is not more common, its one of the best (read: only) trappers in UU.
146 | Piloswine | 407 | 0.47
30 less base attack/speed and 10 less HP means a lot.

And thats enough.
Anyway it will be interesting to see if these newly viable NFEs get an analysis.
I hope you realize that Magneton can run a +SpA nature due to base 70 speed, therefore having more SpA than Magnezone. ThugJustThug <3

Good stuff, the new teammate usage statistics are interesting to look at for sure. (Everything weak to Fire has Heatran as a top partner in crime)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)