The Pokemon Lexicon (Commonly used Abbreviation and Lexicon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To someone just jumping in from a non competitive scene, a lot of terms and abbreviations we use may be confusing.

So what Smogon is doing at the moment is compiling a list of terms and abbreviations that are commonly used. We don't want shit like Chainmence or anything else people randomly slapped a name on - we want things that are commonly used by people

Obviously, the list is FAR from complete - and that's where you come in. I want you guys to help fill in the missing gaps - there are tons and it's hard for any one person, or even a group of people to come up with all the terms.

So please

- Add Terms and Definitions
- Remove Terms and Definitions no longer used
- Any other suggestions

Thanks

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sets
Bellyzard
A Charizard with Belly Drum

Bulkygyara
A Gyarados with defensive EVs, aimed to take hits.

Curselax
A Snorlax with Curse

Crocune
A Suicune with Surf, Sleep Talk, Calm Mind, and Rest

TechniTop
A Hitmontop with the ability Technician and a set with low base power priority moves such as Bullet Punch, Fake Out, and Mach Punch.

Druidcruel
A Tentacruel with Swords Dance, Surf, Sludge Bomb, and Substitute

Lati@s
Latias and Latios collectively

Skarmbliss
Skarmory and Blissey used on the same team. Also called Blisskarm.

Tyraniboah / Boah
A Tyranitar with Substitute, Focus Punch, Crunch or Dark Pulse, and Thunderbolt or Ice Beam

Suicide lead
A lead Pokemon that tries to set up entry hazards quickly and prevent opponents from doing the same (with Taunt) before dying.

Aromatherapist / Beller / Cleric
A Pokémon that uses Aromatherapy or Heal Bell

Phazer / Pseudo-hazer / Shuffler
A Pokémon that uses Roar or Whirlwind

Spinner
A Pokemon with Rapid Spin

Restalker / Rest Talk
A Pokemon who uses the moves Rest and Sleeptalk

BoltBeam
Thunderbolt and Ice Beam

SubPunch
Substitute and Focus Punch

SubSalac
Substitute and item Salac Berry

SubSeed
Substitute and Leech Seed

EndFlail
Endure and Flail

EndRev
Endure and Reversal

EndSalac
Endure and item Salac Berry

ChestoRest
Using a Chesto Berry and Rest in tandem to wake up instantly after a Rest.

Paraflinch
Utilizing both paralysis and flinches to keep an enemy Pokemon from being able to attack.

SubRoost
Substitute and Roost.

Dual Screen
A set which uses both Reflect and Light Screen

Pseudo Passer
A Pokemon which uses moves like Reflect, Light Screen, and Wish with the intent of passing them to another pokemon.

GyaraVire
Gyarados and Electivire.

GyaraJolt.
Gyarados and Jolteon.

CeleTran
Using Celebi and Heatran as a Defensive Core.

Auto-Weather.
A Pokemon whose ability creates a weather effect such as sand, rain, hail, or sun when they are brought into play.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
Acronyms and Abbreviations

BST
Refers to the total of a Pokemon's base stats.

STAB
Same Type Attack Bonus, which increases the power of a direct attack by 50% if the one of the user's types is the same as attack's type.

Hax
An event which has a low probability of happening which critically affects a match. Also used to refer to luck in general.

Priority
Any attack which will always move first (e.g. Fake Out, ExtremeSpeed, Ice Shard)

OHKO
Short for "One-Hit Knockout", though it can also refer to moves that KO the opponent in one hit like Horn Drill.

NFE
Not Fully Evolved, a Pokemon that is not in it's final evolution stage. Most don't see competitive usage outside of Little Cup.

NVE
Not Very Effective, a move that does lowered damage due to resistances.

SE
Super Effective, a move that does double or quadruple damage due to weaknesses (can also refer to Stone Edge).

Lead
The first Pokemon you send out during battle, often specifically tailored to gain an early advantage.

Trapper
A Pokemon which can either stop an opponent from switching out - via Arena Trap or Magnet Pull - or can KO them even if they due - via Pursuit.

Scarfer
A Pokémon with Choice Scarf

Sweeper
A Pokémon that uses offensive moves to do damage and bring down an opponent's team. Many carry boosting moves like Swords Dance. Usually physical or special-oriented.

Mixed Sweeper
A sweeper that uses both physical and special offensive moves to do damage.

Supporter
A Pokémon that uses non-offensive moves which benefit the team.

Tank
A Pokémon intended to take attacks, usually one side of the spectrum, and hit back

Wall
A Pokémon intended to take attacks, usually one side of the spectrum, extremely effectively

Revenge Kill
KOing an opposing Pokemon immediately after one of your own Pokemon has fainted, therefore avoiding the risk of switching into an attack.

Revenge Killer
A Pokemon whose main purpose on a team is to revenge kill certain threats, usually those who your team lacks a solid defense against. Generally characterized by high speed and frailty. May also be a Trapper.

Status-absorber
A Pokemon that can avoid, remove, or use to its advantage one or more Status effects through means like Rest Talk or the ability Guts.

SD
Swords Dance

WW
Whirlwind

EQ
Earthquake

QA
Quick Attack

DT
Double Team

LK
Lovely Kiss

HP
Hidden Power

ES
ExtremeSpeed

WoW
Will-O-Wisp

BB
Brick Break

AA
Aerial Ace

CM
Calm Mind

DD
Dragon Dance

CC
Close Combat

TS
Toxic Spikes

BB
Brave Bird

NP
Nasty Plot

DM
Draco Meteor

SE
Stone Edge

SR
Stealth Rock

GK
Grass Knot

BP
Short for either Bullet Punch or Baton Pass, depending on the context.

FP
Short for either Focus Punch or Full Paralysis, depending on the context.

T-Wave
Thunder Wave

CB/Band
Choice Band, an item that increases the power of physical attacks by roughly 50% but locks the holder into one move (CB is a very common prefix)

Specs
Choice Specs, an item that increases the power of special attacks by roughly 50% but locks the holder into one move

Scarf
Choice Scarf, an item that increases the holder's Speed by 50% but locks the holder into one move

Lefties
Leftovers, an item that restores 6% of the users health each turn.

LO
Life Orb, an item that increases the power of the holder's attacks by roughly 30% but takes 10% health each time it issues a direct attack

Entry Hazards
Any of the attacks which deal damage as a Pokemon switches in - Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
Pokemon Abbreviations

Zard - Charizard
=>Bellyzard - A Charizard with Belly Drum
Duggy - Dugtrio
Zam - Alakazam
Champ - Machamp
Tenta - Tentacruel
=>Druidcruel - A Tentacruel with Swords Dance, Surf, Sludge Bomb, and Substitute
=>Tobybro - An RBY Slowbro with Amnesia, Surf, Thunder Wave, and Rest
Maggy, Maggie - Magneton (not used in D/P)
Gar - Gengar
=>McGar - A Gengar with Shadow Ball, Focus Punch, Thunderbolt, and Substitute
=>McIceGar - A McGar with Ice Punch instead of Shadow Ball
Eggy - Exeggutor
Wak - Marowak
Lee - Hitmonlee
Chan - Hitmonchan
=>Fishtauros - A Tauros with Fissure, Horn Drill, Rest, and Sleep Talk
Gyara, Dos - Gyarados
=>Bulkygyara - A Gyarados with defensive EVs, aimed to take hits.
Vappy - Vaporeon
Jolt - Jolteon
=>JoltWak - Jolteon and Marowak on the same team
Aero - Aerodactyl
Lax - Snorlax
=>Curselax - A Snorlax with Curse
=>Fishlax - An RBY Snorlax with Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Selfdestruct, and Surf or Earthquake
Arti - Articuno
Zap, Zappy, Dos - Zapdos
=>MSDos - A Zapdos with Metal Sound. A pun on Microsoft DOS.
Drag, Draggy - Dragonite

B. GSC
Espy - Espeon
=>EspyJump - An Espeon with Calm Mind, Substitute, Baton Pass, and Psychic
Umby - Umbreon
=>chaosbreon - An Umbreon with Taunt, Mean Look, Baton Pass, and Moonlight or Wish
Missy(D) - Misdreavus (not used in D/P)
Wob, Wobby - Wobbuffet
Forry - Forretress
Hera - Heracross
Skarm - Skarmory
=>Skarmbliss - Skarmory and Blissey used on the same team. Also called Blisskarm.
P2 - Porygon2
Top - Hitmontop
Bliss - Blissey
Kou - Raikou
Cune - Suicune
=>Crocune - A Suicune with Surf, Sleep Talk, Calm Mind, and Rest
Ttar, T-tar, Tar - Tyranitar
=>Tyraniboah - A Tyranitar with Substitute, Focus Punch, Crunch or Dark Pulse, and Thunderbolt or Ice Beam
Celery - Celebi
=>CeleJump - A Celebi with Calm Mind, Substitute, Baton Pass, and Psychic

C. ADV
Pert - Swampert
Jask - Ninjask
=>JaskWak - Ninjask and Marowak used on the same team
Mence - Salamence
Meta - Metagross
Lati - Latias or Latios
=>Lati@s - Latias and Latios collectively

D. D/P
Ape, Nape - Infernape
Ambi - Ambipom
Missy - Mismagius
Zong, Bronzomg - Bronzong
Chomp - Garchomp
=>ChainChomp - A Garchomp with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Swords Dance, and a Life Orb
Luke - Lucario
Hippo - Hippowdon
Obamasnow - Abomasnow
Zone - Magnezone
Glis - Gliscor
Dusk - Dusknoir
Cress/Cressy - Cresselia

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dont think we need all of like "specsogre", "scarfogre", maybe just say that "ogre" is short for kyogre and "quaza" is short for rayquaza. Any reasonably intelligent person could make the connection, since we say what "scarf" is anyway.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
We're not going to add things like "Momentum" that doesn't have a solid definition.

We're also not going to add things that no one uses like "Superachi" and such.

We're also not adding chatspeak - that's not the purpose behind this guide, neither are we going to go indepth with the definitions.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SE: Also short for Super-effective, depending on the context.

SubCM: A Pokemon that uses the moves Substitute and Calm Mind in tandem to increase its Special stats and sweep.

Gimmick: A moveset that is highly effective at stopping a specific threat or serving a specific purpose on a team, but generally ineffective in terms of either the Pokemon's standard role in the metagame or in the metagame in general.

Tyraniboah / Boah: A mixed Tyranitar set that revolves around using Substitute/Focus Punch and special attacks to break down Stall teams.

(more to come)

For some reason I can't think of a way to define Stallrein, if someone wants to take a shot at that.
I'll try:

Stallrein
A Walrein using Substitute + Protect under Hail to stall for up to 32 turns, using Leftovers + Ice Body to fully replenish the HP lost during each two-turn cycle.

Or is that too long?

Anyway, I don't like the sweeper definition either. It should be more like:

Sweeper
A fast Pokemon that attempts to outrun and KO as much as possible using a range of powerful attacks, often with a wide type coverage.

I'm going through the topic and updating, so if your post got deleted, that means I've added whatever was in it (unless it was something I'd never heard of or whatever, or if it was pretty much self-explanatory, like Sacrifice).

I dont think we need all of like "specsogre", "scarfogre", maybe just say that "ogre" is short for kyogre and "quaza" is short for rayquaza. Any reasonably intelligent person could make the connection, since we say what "scarf" is anyway.
I think this policy makes the most sense, since we don't want to be listing scarf<pokemon> over and over. Of course, this still means that sets should be listed if it isn't instantly obvious what they do upon seeing the name (Crocune and Tyraniboah are good examples).

Sweeper
A fast Pokemon that attempts to outrun and KO as much as possible using a range of powerful attacks, often with a wide type coverage.
Not all sweepers are fast, but I'll try to work this definition in.

Parafusion: Utilizing both paralysis and confusion to keep an enemy Pokemon from being able to attack.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a few suggestions, but I don't know if some of them are relevant enough. I'll list them anyway and you can pick and choose when you compile your list.

General
  • lure - A pokemon used to 'lure' in and damage / KO its common switchins by means of an unexpected attack, etc, usually to aid another pokemon to sweep.
  • pivot - In battle term. A switch made simply in order to entice the opponent into a different attack to allow another of your pokemon a safe switch in.
  • baton pass chain - A team that utilises Baton Pass on multiple pokemon to pass multiple stats to a final pokemon.
  • passer - A pokemon that utilises Baton Pass specifically to pass stat boosts to another pokemon.
  • recipient - A pokemon designed to receive stat boosts from baton passing teammates.
  • DugZone - The combination of Dugtrio and Magnezone on a team.
Pokemon abbreviations
  • aero - Aerodactyl
  • zam - Alakazam
  • bliss - Blissey
  • zong - Bronzong
  • cress - Cresselia
  • dnite - Dragonite
  • duggy - Dugtrio
  • evire - Electivire
  • empy - Empoleon
  • forry - Forretress
  • gar - Gengar
  • dos - Gyarados / Zapdos
  • tran - Heatran
  • herra - Heracross
  • hippo - Hippowdon
  • ape - Infernape
  • raichi - Jirachi
  • luke - Lucario
  • champ - Machamp
  • zone - Magnezone
  • mamo - Mamoswine
  • gross - Metagross
  • pz - Porygon-Z
  • mence - Salamence
  • skarm - Skarmory
  • lax - Snorlax
  • cune - Suicune
  • pert - Swampert
  • kiss - Togekiss
  • ttar - Tyranitar
  • vappy - Vaporeon

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can we make some of the "brain dead obvious" lingo definitions without much elaboration better?

EndFlail / EndRev
A strategy involving Endure, Salac Berry, and the move Flail or Reversal; optionally with Swords Dance. One sets up the attacking move by using Endure to get to 1 HP, with Salac Berry helping it outspeed many threats.

Paraflinch
Utilizing both paralysis and flinches to keep an enemy Pokemon from being able to attack. The paralysis assists in keeping the Pokémon immobile more often as well as guaranteeing that they are slower than the flinching Pokémon.

SubRoost
Substitute and Roost combined together. Often used on Pressure Pokémon to stall out the PP of moves and to ease prediction.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think it might be best to slash them both in, as I guess it's a preference thing for different people. Other common combos that I thought of while writing this are SalaZone (and when I posted this once, a user corrected me and said it was MagneMence). I'm also going to do a pokemon abbreviations list for UU, and edit it into this post.

EDIT: I don't think the UU metagame is developed enough (or I haven't played it enough) for there to be commonly used names for the majority of pokemon. I'm going to list the ones that I've heard many times, and leave the rest for now.
  • snow - Abomasnow
  • azu - Azumarril
  • zard - Charizard
  • fable - Clefable
  • trode - Electrode
  • gatr - Feraligatr
  • gardy - Gardevoir
  • chan - Hitmonchan
  • lee - Hitmonlee
  • top - Hitmontop
  • doom - Houndoom
  • tops - Kabutops
  • missy - Mismagius
  • nidos - Nidoqueen + Nidoking
  • wrath - Poliwrath
  • p2 - Porygon2
  • regis - Regice, Registeel, Regirock and Regigigas
  • tom - Rotom
  • bro - Slowbro
  • tomb - Spiritomb
  • raptor - Staraptor
  • lix - Steelix
  • croak - Toxicroak

Thought of some more general ones.
  • pinch berry - A Berry that boosts a stat when the users health drops to 25%, e.g. Liechi Berry.
  • set up - The act of using moves that boost stats.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'll take a shot at this. Most of these are geared towards ubers though but I'm pretty sure this stuff is tierless and therefore any tier can fit in.

Pokemon
Ogre- Kyogre
Don- Groudon
Ray/Quaza - Rayquaza
Tina- Giratina
DX-A- Deoxys-A
DX-S- Deoxys-S
DX-D- Deoxys-D

Moves
Void- Dark Void
Rend- Spacial Rend
RoT- Roar of Time (well no one uses it but it's there)
Force- Shadow Force
SD*- Selfdestruct (Snorlax/Mewtwo/Wailord)
Spout- Water Spout
STalk- Sleep Talk (can't believe no one mentioned this)
MM- Meteor Mash

Others
Glass cannon- A Pokemon who hits extremely hard, but for its immense power it suffers from being very frail and fairly slow. An example of a glass cannon is Rampardos

*Can someone come up with a better definition for glass cannon? I'm really unsure about the part about being slow

bg- bad game

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think we need to mention "hax," when I just started out I thought that was leetspeak for hacks, heh.

Edit: ok I should seriously get my blindness checked out

@Legacy Raider - Isn't Aboma (or Obama) used as shorthand for Abomasnow more than "snow?" I've hear Aboma used a lot more.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I've always heard BulkyDos as the abbreviation for Gyarados more than BulkyGyara, but I guess it could go either way (And 'Dos can be used for either Zapdos or Gyarados I guess).

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I hear 'Snow get called both ways equally. I guess it really doesn't matter that much, it won't get confused with anything else.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
chaosbreon/tyraniboah are ADV not GSC, i know they are gsc era pokemon but thats confusing

also the original article had a lot of stuff like zard -> charizard but i removed it all - do you really think newcomers, in the heat of battle, are going to be like "wtf does fable mean? let me check smogon.com/articles/newbies_guide oh it stands for clefable"

BB is listed as both Brave Bird and Brick Break. They should be combined.

Also CC can be Cross Chop or Close Combat (though the latter is wayyyy more common I guess)

EDIT- maybe put somewhere in there that Rotom-A is the appliance forms in general. If I was a newbie I'd think it was a specific form or somethnig.
EDIT2- SS (Sandstorm obv.) needs to go in there somewhere too.

Sets
Druidcruel
A Tentacruel with Swords Dance, Surf, Sludge Bomb, and Substitute
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it run Poison Jab, unless this the ADV Terminology if so this should probably just be deleted all together, or at least listed as ADV.

-Thought you should add this under SubSeed, a description.
~The use of using Leech Seed in conjuction with Substitute to drain the HP of your/the foe.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I'm just adding one for now but:

Wall-Breaker

An offensively oriented pokemon meant specifically for crushing walls rather than sweeping. This is usually done with extra powerful offense (even at the expense of continued sweeping abilities or using a pokemon with low speed), and often with physical and special moves.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In "Sets", I don't see MoPcross yet, but I don't know the exact set it uses, except that it's a SubSalac Heracross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)