Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - January 2009

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Doug, have I said I love you yet? These stats are amazing.

Porygon2 being used this much isn't too surprising, they've been showing up everywhere to absorb Heatran's Fire Blasts. And I don't use Flygon but I love seeing something so cool get used a lot. Wasn't it ranked in the 80's six months ago?

It's quite strange actually, because according to UU's statistics, Porygon 2 is NU, and according to OU's statistics, Porygon 2 is OU. So Porygon 2 is NU and OU at the same time.

Obviously, if it stays OU by April, then it'll just be OU, as it'll then be banned from UU (and NU), but it's still strange. And we used to think that Tentacruel jumping over BL to OU was strange. Porgyon 2 would be jumping over BLNU, UU and BLUU in one go!

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's quite strange actually, because according to UU's statistics, Porygon 2 is NU, and according to OU's statistics, Porygon 2 is OU. So Porygon 2 is NU and OU at the same time.

Obviously, if it stays OU by April, then it'll just be OU, as it'll then be banned from UU (and NU), but it's still strange. And we used to think that Tentacruel jumping over BL to OU was strange. Porgyon 2 would be jumping over BLNU, UU and BLUU in one go!
On that note, imagine what NU would look like if they started it now. Smeargle, Ursaring, Entei, Articuno, and Charizard? Kind of sad that we'd be calling it "never-used."

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I didn't even notice Porygon2's position until I read the above couple of posts. I'm a long time user of P2, absolutely love the thing, and am glad to see it well on its way to OU. NU won't be made for a while yet, I would think, at least not until we have a new OU list, so hopefully P2 can stick around long enough to get a shot in the spotlight.

On that note, imagine what NU would look like if they started it now. Smeargle, Ursaring, Entei, Articuno, and Charizard? Kind of sad that we'd be calling it "never-used."
Well, we can call it "Moderately Used" if you want. It makes absolutely no difference to the metagame whatsoever. I think we might actually have to change the name though, because there'll be usage tiers even lower than that, yet I can't think of a term to imply less usage than "Never Used".

I personally like it this way. Before we had about 50 Pokemon who couldn't shine in OU, and were banned from UU. Now, for example, we have a tier where nearly everything can play a role. And in the case of some, more than one tier (Porygon 2, for example is useful in OU, even if it isn't actually makes it into the OU usage tier, and it would no doubt be useful in NU too, and it doesn't exactly suck in UU). However, previously, Porygon 2 was BL, so it only had one metagame it could function in.

If we went through every single usage tier, down to the lowest tier, which would be filled with Pokemon like Ralts, Sunkern, Feebas, etc. there would be many cases like this.

I don't think there'll be enough 'public interest' to go all the way down to the very bottom tier though, that's presuming every additional usage tier we create, the number of players in that metagame decreases.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
New NU will be organized once 3 months have passed and the first "official" New UU / UBL division will be made.

cim

Yeah, that's the idea. Since OU affects UU they'd all be done at the same time.

Yay, 2 more months to abuse Pory2's trick room setup in uu! (in backround, evil laughter is heard) Mwa ha ha!

On topic, I believe we have enough pokemon to make and Nu ban list. Anyone else?

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yay, 2 more months to abuse Pory2's trick room setup in uu! (in backround, evil laughter is heard) Mwa ha ha!

On topic, I believe we have enough pokemon to make and Nu ban list. Anyone else?
I'm pretty sure we're not going to make the same mistake with NU that we did with old UU. We're going to do testing just like we're doing with UU right now, with everything in the list starting out as unbanned. I actually don't even know if we're having a banlist for NU to tell you the truth, I do know that we're not making another theorymon banlist though.

I'm pretty sure we're not going to make the same mistake with NU that we did with old UU. We're going to do testing just like we're doing with UU right now, with everything in the list starting out as unbanned. I actually don't even know if we're having a banlist for NU to tell you the truth, I do know that we're not making another theorymon banlist though.
I think there will be a ban list for NU. There wasn't one in Advance, but I don't really know why. Maybe Advance NU was pretty perfectly balanced, so there was nothing broken. Or, they just put everything that was 'broken' in UU.

As I understand it, NU will go through exactly the same process as UU. We'll have everything that isn't Standard UU or OU, or in a faux tier, unbanned, and then we'll gradually test suspects and ban any, if needed. I'm pretty sure there'll be a ban list for NU, should we need one. It's quite vital to have one, so NU can be balanced. But, you're right, I doubt we will just guess what the ban list should be, as we all know better now.

Woah, just realized, if NU existed now, Electrode would be the fastest, with base 140 Speed, then Sneasel, Persian and Floatzel would be joint 2nd with base 115 Speed. That could be interesting...

cim

Bologo said:
I'm pretty sure we're not going to make the same mistake with NU that we did with old UU.
Or with OU? ;_;

I think there will be a ban list for NU. There wasn't one in Advance, but I don't really know why. Maybe Advance NU was pretty perfectly balanced, so there was nothing broken. Or, they just put everything that was 'broken' in UU.
That's exactly what he was saying, he just said there would be no theory bans.

I think NU will look like UU initially looked (pre claydol even).

Well, we can call it "Moderately Used" if you want. It makes absolutely no difference to the metagame whatsoever. I think we might actually have to change the name though, because there'll be usage tiers even lower than that, yet I can't think of a term to imply less usage than "Never Used".

I personally like it this way. Before we had about 50 Pokemon who couldn't shine in OU, and were banned from UU. Now, for example, we have a tier where nearly everything can play a role. And in the case of some, more than one tier (Porygon 2, for example is useful in OU, even if it isn't actually makes it into the OU usage tier, and it would no doubt be useful in NU too, and it doesn't exactly suck in UU). However, previously, Porygon 2 was BL, so it only had one metagame it could function in.
I can't imagine good Trick Room team in UU without Porygon2 (and in OU Pory2 is still more then usefull for that strategy). And still offensive Life Orb Trick Room Pory2 is good pokemon.

And with that many pokemon in DPP/Platinum still pokes like Plusle, Pidgeot, Minun or Mightyena won't be used with all those Charizards, Slakings, etc. So I guess in future I can see one more tier for the weakest ones.

If we went through every single usage tier, down to the lowest tier, which would be filled with Pokemon like Ralts, Sunkern, Feebas, etc. there would be many cases like this.
For Ralts, Sunkern, Feebas we have Little Cup, so I don't see any problem here if you want to use pokemon like this ;).

I don't think there'll be enough 'public interest' to go all the way down to the very bottom tier though, that's presuming every additional usage tier we create, the number of players in that metagame decreases.
Well... it may be true, but I guess there will be always some players to play it (I love old NU with all those Plusles, etc.). At least we should create some list for another tiers, even without ladder, just for some people which would like to play from time to time matches like this. It's really hard to find any competetive list for pokemon like this.

New NU will be organized once 3 months have passed and the first "official" New UU / UBL division will be made.
Sounds good ;).

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For Ralts, Sunkern, Feebas we have Little Cup, so I don't see any problem here if you want to use pokemon like this ;).
In LC those Pokemon are very poor. Even in LC UU they are bad.

Maybe in like the tier below LC NU they could get some use.

For Lv. 100 play it would probably be 5 or 6 tiers down from OU..

I look forward to advancing down the tiers.

Well, Little Cup is based on the in-game status of Pokemon (Pokemon that are unevolved), so I really doubt that the bottom usage tier, if we ever get one, will be similar to Little Cup. Kirlia, for example, is much weaker than Abra, Drowzee, Spoink, etc.

Do you think it would be a good idea to start recording which are the most commonly used moves (including repeats among different Pokemon in the same team) were in teams that entered battles? I don't know how useful it would seem to the rest of you, but it's definitely a statistic I would enjoy viewing =)

Good work Doug.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)