DP Research Thread #5 (Newest yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Explosion research: Does Shield Dust block the Defense drop from Explosion?
Shield Dust Wurmple: 26 HP, 11 Defense, LV. 8.
Gastly: 5 Attack, LV. 1. Knows Explosion.
Makuhita: 28 HP, 8 Defense LV. 7. the control group.

Vs. the twins' Pachirisu:
Explosion does about a quarter of Makuhita's HP worth of damage.
Wurmple loses about a quarter of its HP from Explosion.

Conclusion: Shield Dust does not prevent the Defense drop from Explosion.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If a very weak attack is used such that the value of the damage formula is "1" or "0" immediately after the random number multiplication, there is no STAB applied, and the attack is NVE, the damage should be divided by 2 and floored. This gives a value of "0". I know at the very end, there is a check along the lines of

if damage == 0, damage = 1

But does this also apply within the formula? For instance, if the attacker has Tinted Lens, then the damage is multiplied by 2. If there is no internal check to turn 0 damage to 1 damage, then the final damage will be 0. If there is, the final damage will be 2 (which, interestingly, could make a NVE hit do twice as much damage as a neutral hit).

An easier test is to have a level 1 Pokemon use a neutral move without STAB on a level 100. After dividing by that Pokemon's comparatively massive defensive stat, the damage should be rounded down to 0. It then might be rounded up to 1. The damage formula adds 2, so the damage is either 2 or 3. After it is multiplied by the random number, it should either be 2 1/39 of the time, and 1 otherwise, or else it's 3 1/39 of the time and 2 otherwise.

I just tested to see if the Acid Rain glitch in the Japanese Platinum happens in the US Version (I'm using a flashcart). And unfortunately, I have to report that it does. =(

I tried it both with the game-save from my Japanese Platinum (it's compatible with the US Platinum), and with the regular US game-save file I started in the US Platinum. Same story: Tyranitar, KO's fleeing Pokemon with Pursuit and "the rain continues to fall...". So they didn't fix it in the US version. =/

Unfortunately, I was unable to record and post a video of this. If anyone doesn't believe me, go and try it out for yourself. I guarantee that the glitch is still there.

I just tested to see if the Acid Rain glitch in the Japanese Platinum happens in the US Version (I'm using a flashcart). And unfortunately, I have to report that it does. =(

I tried it both with the game-save from my Japanese Platinum (it's compatible with the US Platinum), and with the regular US game-save file I started in the US Platinum. Same story: Tyranitar, KO's fleeing Pokemon with Pursuit and "the rain continues to fall...". So they didn't fix it in the US version. =/

Unfortunately, I was unable to record and post a video of this. If anyone doesn't believe me, go and try it out for yourself. I guarantee that the glitch is still there.
I'm testing this tommorow with my platinum game i get from Gamestop

oh, and I 'm testing Mold Breaker + Levitate + Toxic Spikes as well

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not quite sure where to post this, but I have just confirmed that if you run away from Giratina at the end of Torn World after you fight Cyrus, he appears in Turnback Cave just like normal and is catchable after beating the E4.

Its IVs are not locked, and it is fully resettable.

You can then go into Torn World (I refuse to call it by its stupid American name) and obtain the Platinum Orb as normal.

I'm confused. You say that the glitch is still there, but someone in the glitch weather thread says it's gone. Obviously you can't both be right.

EDIT: There's video proof that it's gone. Something must have been wrong with your game I guess.

I'm confused. You say that the glitch is still there, but someone in the glitch weather thread says it's gone. Obviously you can't both be right.

EDIT: There's video proof that it's gone. Something must have been wrong with your game I guess.
I doubt something was wrong with my game. I posted what happened with my test in the glitch weather thread too. Unfortunately I was unable to record a video of it. I'm sure many other people here are going to test it. Jimbo used a US Plat vs US Plat while I used US Plat vs Diamond. Maybe it has something to do with that *shrug*. I would test it more now but I have to study atm.

In a Doubles battle if a faster sleeping pokemon uses sleep talk and selects roar/whirlwind are the pokemon being whirlwinded/roared puirsuitable by the slower teamate

example

aerodactyl uses rest
aerodactyl uses sleeptalk
aerodactyl uses roar/whirlwind

scizor uses pursuit

What happens?
does it hit the pokemon leaving?
does it hit the pokemon entering?
or does it fail?
Has this already been tested?

Desolate

Banned deucer.
Currently testing Mimic @ http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/mimic in Pokemon Platinum version.

More information to be posted as I am testing it currently.

Mimic In Platinum

Mimic (Type: Normal)(Accuracy: -)(PP: 10*)(Damage: 0)

*The PP on Mimic is how many times Mimic can be used, NOT the move you have mimicked from another pokemon.
*The PP of the mimicked move is 5 when you have copied it.

If Mimic has been used before the opponent or the Pokemon it is targeted at, the move will fail as it has nothing to copy. If an opponent uses a move, and the next turn you use Mimic and it lands first, you will copy the move last used.

Example: Latios used Mimic - But it failed
Latias used Calm Mind
Latios used Mimic - Latios now has Calm Mind - As the target for Mimic is Latias, It will copy the last move used by the target pokemon.

Mimic cannot copy the move Sketch, unique to Smeargle to learn the target pokemon's move permanently. Mimic on Sketch will fail.

Example: Smeargle used Sketch on Latios
Latios used Mimic - But it failed

As I said earlier, Sketch is unique to Smeargle and cannot be learned, taught or copied by another pokemon.

Mimic cannot copy the move Struggle.

Struggle is a move that is only avaliable, or forced, to use when you have run out of moves. This can be caused by all your move's having 0 PP. It can also be caused by being locked into a move by using for example, Encore, and not being able to use another move. If the encored move runs out of PP, the pokemon will begin using Struggle.

Struggle is not a normally selected move that on choice you can use. Thus forth, you cannot Mimic it because it is a special move, only used after PP has ran out.

In Pokemon XD/Colosseum

Respectively, it cannot Mimic sketch as in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

It can not Mimic Shadow Moves also.

Shadow Moves are unique to XD/Colosseum, when pokemon's heart become's sealed and they cannot open their heart up... anyway, getting back on subject. No shadow move's can be Mimicked.

If there are more secrets behind, Mimic, I will find them.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Accidental discovery

His Breloom already had a Substitute up
My Scizor used U-Turn
His Substitute broke
I switched in Salamence
Breloom was not hit with Intimidate
Breloom Focus Punched

Mirror Move Testing:
If a Pokemon has a Choice Item (I will be using a Choice Scarf for this experiment), and it uses Mirror Move, what happens when it is Choice-locked? Does Mirror Move always copy the previous move used each time, or does the Mirror Move user continue to use the original move copied? Or does Mirror Move fail?

Lv. 53 Pidgeot @ Choice Scarf vs. wild Lv. 51 Weepinbell
Pidgeot used Mirror Move!
Mirror Move failed!
The wild Weepinbell used Gastro Acid!
Pidgeot's ability was suppressed!

Pidgeot used Gastro Acid!
The wild Weepinbell's ability was suppressed!
The wild Weepinbell used Slam!A critical hit!

Pidgeot used Slam!
The wild Weepinbell used Wring Out!

Got away safely!

When used with a Choice Item, Mirror Move copies the opponent's previous move each turn.

Mirror Move and Fling: does the Mirror Move user copy Fling at the same power, or is the power of the copied Fling based on the Mirror Move user's item? Does the Mirror Move user lose its item?

Lv. 53 Pidgeot @ Iron Ball and Lv.47 Pelipper @ Aspear Berry vs. Lv. 9 Pachirisu and Lv. 9 Pachirisu.

The foe's Pachirisu used Quick Attack!
The foe's Pachirisu used Quick Attack! (Both on Pelipper)
Pelipper used Fling!
Pelipper Flung its Aspear Berry (At Pidgeot)
Pidgeot used Fling!
Pidgeot Flung its Iron Ball! (At the Pachirisu on the right)
The foe's Pachirisu fainted!

After the battle, both Pelipper and Pachirisu had lost their items.
If a Pokemon uses Fling in a double battle and Fling is the copied by the target of Fling using Mirror Move, the Mirror Mover Flings its own item at a random one of the opponents and applies the effect of that Flung item. This is also true if the original user of Fling and the copier of Fling had different items to begin with.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a strange occurrence that took place.

Ralts, lv 27, Confusion, Magical Leaf, Calm Mind, Teleport

In a double battle using both it and Torterra, Torterra uses Razor leaf, knocking out one of the opposing Pokemon and leaving one alive. I have targeted that one remaining foe with Confusion from Ralts from the start of the turn. As the first Pokemon is fainted, Ralts gains experience and goes up a level, and I am given the chance to teach it Psychic. I get it to forget Confusion, and once the experience points have been fully gained, Ralts uses Psychic on the opposing Pokemon, in place of the Confusion it knew.

Wow legacy, that's a very cool discovery. Is there any move that you could learn that would normally fail, but might work in this case? I can't think of one...

Oh really? That's really interesting. I wonder if there's a move that can freeze reliably that would be a good counter to Skymin...

Does it change back when unfrozen?

I don't think we tested in battle freeze. i was just confirming what Nintendo said.

Video: 26-72324-54088

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just a strange occurrence that took place.

Ralts, lv 27, Confusion, Magical Leaf, Calm Mind, Teleport

In a double battle using both it and Torterra, Torterra uses Razor leaf, knocking out one of the opposing Pokemon and leaving one alive. I have targeted that one remaining foe with Confusion from Ralts from the start of the turn. As the first Pokemon is fainted, Ralts gains experience and goes up a level, and I am given the chance to teach it Psychic. I get it to forget Confusion, and once the experience points have been fully gained, Ralts uses Psychic on the opposing Pokemon, in place of the Confusion it knew.
It would be very interesting to see how this interacts with priority moves, both + and -. Say you overwrote Water Gun with Aqua Jet, after a neutral Pri move was used.. or Focus Punch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)