DP Research Thread #5 (Newest yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh really? That's really interesting. I wonder if there's a move that can freeze reliably that would be a good counter to Skymin...
Wouldn't ice already be a Skymin counter? It beats both Grass and Flying, remember.

Also, note that Land Shaymin has Natural Cure, so if it gets frozen you can get it out and it'll be fine when it comes back in. But what form would it come back out as?

I know ice is 4x effective, no need to repeat yourself. But it is stuck in land forme the rest of the battle

And yes the video is of me testing it

Me and pkmndaisuki from GFAQs have been testing the weather glitch and found out it can also be activated while Uproar, Gravity, Fog or Trick Room are in effect (that's the priority order, meaning Uproar will activate Uproar and every weather, Gravity will activate Gravity, Uproar and every weather and so on). An interesting thing is that Fog can be cleared with Defog without interfering with the glitch. A video can be found on the GTS, it's number 71-58349-79250

Has it been tested what happens when a pokemon learns a new move, but uses a move like outrage and deletes outrage? Because it's happened to me before, on ruby. What happened was my loudred was using uproar, and it learned a new move but i delete uproar, yet it still used it.

Me and pkmndaisuki from GFAQs have been testing the weather glitch and found out it can also be activated while Uproar, Gravity, Fog or Trick Room are in effect (that's the priority order, meaning Uproar will activate Uproar and every weather, Gravity will activate Gravity, Uproar and every weather and so on). An interesting thing is that Fog can be cleared with Defog without interfering with the glitch. A video can be found on the GTS, it's number 71-58349-79250
Do the other effects also last forever? Or do they disappear after 5 turns?

They last for as long as the normal effect would have lasted. If there were a Perma-Trick Room effect, we could have every single field effect at once for the rest of the battle

Is the custap berry trigger activated by it going below 25% or it being below 25%? (X uses Ariel Ace. LO recoil knocks it down to 20% Y uses trick X obtained the custap Berry.)

Wouldn't ice already be a Skymin counter? It beats both Grass and Flying, remember.

Also, note that Land Shaymin has Natural Cure, so if it gets frozen you can get it out and it'll be fine when it comes back in. But what form would it come back out as?
Your answer lies in the video that was posted: Once Shaymin reverts to it's Land Form, it remains so for the rest of the battle.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is the custap berry trigger activated by it going below 25% or it being below 25%? (X uses Ariel Ace. LO recoil knocks it down to 20% Y uses trick X obtained the custap Berry.)
Going below 25%. Once HP dips below that threshold, the holder gets the Custap Boost the next time it becomes applicable. If Y gives X a new item with Trick, X eats that item when it gets the Custap Berry boost. If it doesn't have an item, it still gets the boost.

I wanted to say something about the platinum birds. I'm not sure if this has been revealed or not, so please don't shoot me down if it's known or not

After experimenting for about an hour, I've determined that the IVs and Nature of the legendary birds is not set until you talk to Professor Oak in Eterna City. After catching all three of them 4 different times, I got 4 different Natures and IV spreads each time. It's actually thesible to Soft Reset for them!

However, since your just talking to someone to activate the event, Synchronize does not effect the nature of the birds at all. I guess that's a bit of a bummer.

Going below 25%. Once HP dips below that threshold, the holder gets the Custap Boost the next time it becomes applicable. If Y gives X a new item with Trick, X eats that item when it gets the Custap Berry boost. If it doesn't have an item, it still gets the boost.
But then in that situation the custap berry did would not activate. Let me clarify.
Scizor @ LO (30%) and Porygon-Z @ Custap berry (100%)
Scizor use bullet punch
LO recoil took scizor down to 20%
Porygon-Z used trick
Scizor obtained the custap berry
Will this happen:
Scizor's custap berry activate.
Scizor used X-Scissors
Or this:
Porygon-Z used tri attack.
Scizor custap berry did not activate?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Scizor will get the Custap Berry boost and use X-Scissor before Porygon-Z can act.

Just go back to page 4 of this thread. I describe in detail exactly how Custap Berry works there.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wanted to say something about the platinum birds. I'm not sure if this has been revealed or not, so please don't shoot me down if it's known or not

After experimenting for about an hour, I've determined that the IVs and Nature of the legendary birds is not set until you talk to Professor Oak in Eterna City. After catching all three of them 4 different times, I got 4 different Natures and IV spreads each time. It's actually thesible to Soft Reset for them!

However, since your just talking to someone to activate the event, Synchronize does not effect the nature of the birds at all. I guess that's a bit of a bummer.
Well, hopefully before too long, you'll be able to Platinum RNG them.

Well, hopefully before too long, you'll be able to Platinum RNG them.
Well, if it was just one pokemon then that could work. However, there's 3 and they won't all have the same stats/natures when you speak with Oak, meaning the RNG won't spit back the nature/IVs you set it to be (maybe one will?). So research should probably be done on how they all relate to one another (is there a pattern between them?) before the RNG can really be used on the birds.

I guess that each one is generated with subsequent RNG calls, but I'm not sure... That should be the first thing you look for.

Has it been tested what happens when a pokemon learns a new move, but uses a move like outrage and deletes outrage? Because it's happened to me before, on ruby. What happened was my loudred was using uproar, and it learned a new move but i delete uproar, yet it still used it.
Uproar is a global move, kinda like using sunny day, or trick room.
So even if the move doesn't exsist anymore the global effect is still there til it times out.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Uproar is a global move, kinda like using sunny day, or trick room.
So even if the move doesn't exsist anymore the global effect is still there til it times out.
Although Uproar is, in a way, a global effect, that's not why this happened. Once a Pokémon starts using a multi-round move, it doesn't need to know the move in order to complete it. Hence, when a move like Uproar, Sky Attack, Rollout, or Outrage gets called by, say, Metronome, the moves can be used to completion rather than only lasting a single round.

On a tangent, Uproar can be ended by getting rid of the Pokémon using it, unlike weather effects or Trick Room, so it doesn't have to time out, exactly.

Mimic cannot copy the move Sketch, unique to Smeargle to learn the target pokemon's move permanently. Mimic on Sketch will fail.

Example: Smeargle used Sketch on Latios
Latios used Mimic - But it failed

As I said earlier, Sketch is unique to Smeargle and cannot be learned, taught or copied by another pokemon.
wait, it's possible to get Sketch on another Pokemon not Smeargle, but using Sketch would fail and therefore not really help at all. You can have a Pokemon use Transform on Smeargle and they'll have Sketch, but will fail upon using Sketch.

Magic Guard vs Toxic Spikes.

Greetings. In one of my most recent battles, I came across a slight "contradiction" to how Magic Guard usually operates. For convenience, I will post Smogon's description of Magic Guard here:

Spikes, Stealth Rock, burn, poison, Leech Seed, hail, sandstorm, Nightmare, Bad Dreams, Jaboca Berry recoil, Rowap Berry recoil, Life Orb's 10% recoil damage, and regular recoil do no damage to this Pokémon. Struggle's recoil, however, will still damage a Magic Guard Pokémon. This Pokémon can be poisoned or burned, but it will not take any damage. The physical damage drop associated with being burned still applies. Leech Seed will neither damage a Magic Guard Pokémon nor heal its enemy. Pokemon with Magic Guard cannot activate their target's Jaboca or Rowap Berry. Pain Split works normally on Magic Guard Pokemon.

If a Magic Guard Pokemon is under the effects of Toxic poison, their Toxic counter still increases normally, even though they aren't taking damage. This means that if the Pokemon loses Magic Guard, the Toxic damage it receives is the same as it would be getting on that turn if it hadn't had Magic Guard.

Magic Guard Pokemon still take poison damage out of battle.

This Pokemon can be paralyzed, and its Speed will be reduced in that case, but it cannot be fully paralyzed.
The bolded part clearly reads that Magic Guard Pokemon can indeed be poisoned, but will take no damage in-battle from being poisoned. And this is, indeed, how Magic Guard usually works. However, I have witnessed somewhat of a contradiction to how Magic Guard works and perhaps other members could help test this contradiction further or perhaps see something that I'm missing or failed to account for. This contradiction involves the move Toxic Spikes. Here is the Smogon description for it:

This move lays down poison-inducing spikes on the opponent's field. If this move is used twice, the Toxic Spikes will cause toxic poison.

If the opponent uses Rapid Spin, the Toxic Spikes are removed. If a player switches in a grounded Poison-type Pokemon while Toxic Spikes are on that player's side of the field, the Toxic Spikes are removed, even if Safeguard is in effect or the Pokemon is Baton Passed a Substitute.

Toxic Spikes do not affect Flying- and Steel-type Pokémon, or Pokémon with the ability Levitate. If Gravity is in effect, Flying and Levitating Pokemon are hit by Toxic Spikes upon switching in. If a Flying or Levitating Pokemon is holding an Iron Ball, it is hit by Toxic Spikes upon switching in. If a Flying or Levitating Pokemon is Baton Passed an Ingrain, it is hit by Toxic Spikes upon switching in.

If a Pokemon is Baton Passed a Substitute, it is not poisoned by Toxic Spikes. If Safeguard is in effect when a Pokemon switches in, it is not poisoned by Toxic Spikes.

Toxic Spikes do not activate the ability Synchronize.
Judging by the descriptions of the two moves, the conclusion is that Toxic Spikes should poison a Pokemon with Magic Guard. However, I have found exactly the opposite to be true, I have found that Magic Guard perhaps does guard against being poisoned by Toxic Spikes! Now it should be noted that this is actually a disadvantage to Magic Guard Pokemon, since a Pokemon with Magic Guard would, under normal circumstances, love to be poisoned to avoid getting another status put onto it.

My evidence is this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTGTk97I4uE . It was a battle I had a few days back. In this battle, Toxic Spikes are clearly applied to my field (at 1:44, for convenience). I did not Rapid Spin them away, nor did I send out a Poison-type Pokemon to remove them. However, when my Clefable with the Magic Guard ability (at 4:39, and again at 6:03, 7:58) is sent out, it does not get poisoned by a result of the Toxic Spikes! There are three possibilities that I see:

1) Since under most cases, Pokemon immune to Spikes are also immune to Toxic Spikes, it may be the case that Magic Guard Pokemon are immune to Toxic Spikes as well.

2) It could be perhaps be a glitch that since Stealth Rock was also in effect, Magic Guard is programmed to protect against entry hazards. In that case, perhaps a Pokemon with Magic Guard is only protected from Toxic Spikes when another entry hazard is present.

3) Finally, it could simply have been an unexplained glitch that activated for an unknown reason. It could be the case that a glitch either somehow protected Clefable, or somehow removed the Toxic Spikes before Clefable was sent out (unfortunately, there was not another opportunity for the rest of a video for a Pokemon of mine to be poisoned by the Toxic Spikes).

Any thoughts about this matter would be helpful, thank you.

The definition of Magic Guard and the way it is programmed must have seperate rules for the way entry hazards interact in this case entry hazards ie toxic spikes are ignored. This is different to the way that secondary effects of moves or status moves interact and toxic/flame orb interact with magic guard. Hope this helped.

The definition of Magic Guard and the way it is programmed must have seperate rules for the way entry hazards interact in this case entry hazards ie toxic spikes are ignored. This is different to the way that secondary effects of moves or status moves interact and toxic/flame orb interact with magic guard. Hope this helped.
If this is true, then this should be added to Smogon's definition of Magic Guard and/or Toxic Spikes.

Can someone watch this video and tell me what's going on with Intimidate?

25-08496-89682

Scizor broke Cacturne's Substitute with U-turn and Salamence was brought in, but Cacturne wasn't intimidated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)