The Anti-Hax Formula: Curtain Call

zfs

Everything old is new again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On the tier of smogon awesomeness, this is right up there with "trolling in real life" and Vineon's GGFan saga. Pure win.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just won a battle (via the coin toss) on the server, and I just realized that "if I hadn't known about the formula, I totally would have thought it was working" because I got critted and froze 3-4 times in that battle. xD

@Tangerine-- aww, come on, releasing this thread on April 2nd would have been hilarious

Funny that I hadn't seen a single battle overturned until the one where I win via critical hit at the very end. Makes you wonder if this being a joke is the real joke ^_^

Surely smogon would never have held up to the intese onslaught of these serious actions.
I am totally aware of that, but stress makes me act weird sometimes. All this did make me realize something, though. The entire reason this prank worked is because it actually seemed realistic-it seemed like something Smogon would actually do. To be honest, that actually scared me-a lot. One day we may go too far in order to obtain a "better metagame", and it won't be a prank. Please be careful, Smogon.

I really don't understand the formula per say, so just based off gameplay I really can't make a decision.
But I have noticed that I have critted/freezed others even more.
So for me, I have done better. But...theoretically I don't find how making Pokemon a no hax game is good.
The way I see it your decisions should take some risk, that is just how life is and how pokemon should be. For every decision there is an equally powerful reaction, and one has to take that into account when switching or choosing a certain attack. I feel the game might be more about numbers then actual decision making. Luck is just always there.

Wow, I can't believe I fell for this completely. I'm glad it was a joke though as i would of been pretty mad if it was actually implemented.

I wish i could of had a bigger role in arguing against this, unfortunately I don't have PR access

That was absolutely brilliant.
After months of lurking, I registered just to say how legendary this was.
Well done everyone!

Applause, Applause, the studio audience is much impressed.

I still think supergluing a quarter to the ground in a special education school is funnier though.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This was probably the most fun April Fools joke I've ever been involved in, and I'd like to thank everyone who took part in it for making it what it was :). Also its kinda cool to see how certain users react when something obviously stupid is happening right in front of them and they can't stop it :P.

We'll be back next year :D.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really don't understand the formula per say, so just based off gameplay I really can't make a decision.
But I have noticed that I have critted/freezed others even more.
So for me, I have done better. But...theoretically I don't find how making Pokemon a no hax game is good.
The way I see it your decisions should take some risk, that is just how life is and how pokemon should be. For every decision there is an equally powerful reaction, and one has to take that into account when switching or choosing a certain attack. I feel the game might be more about numbers then actual decision making. Luck is just always there.
There was no forumla. It was a 50/50 coin flip if the match was close.

You do realize this whole concept was an April Fools joke, right? A fucking brilliant one, nonetheless.

I would just like to say the most fun part of this was getting to troll setrack in #biuret and making up fake battles that happened on the hax server.

And for the record, I am against this as well. :p

So, I've been pranking people all day long(really, it was fun =D), but I didn't notice this was a joke at all. This was awesomely done. Now I can say I have been pranked today. It was funny when DM and Articuno64 said they were battling again, I believed it. As you can see, I jussed missed last year's april fools, so I didn't even know you guys did this. I'd like to thank everyone who participated, it really made my day(which at time of posting is still 10 minutes)

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I made half a post supporting the forumla, but I never finished it because I heard the plan was being called off.. But yeah, I kinda almost convinced myself that perhaps this is an avenue we should be exploring..

I'm glad you guys went through with it though, I would have been pretty dissapointed had this gotten called off.

Have a nice day.

You guys all had me. I was certainly hoping it was an April Fools joke, but I figured it wasn't.

But, something like this had better never be implemented.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My favorite part about this prank is that after it was implemented on the server, a fair number of users were saying things like, "now that I've played with it, the formula is actually pretty good!"

Also, there was another unbadged user taken into our confidence...GIGA PUNCH! In New York, I told him the win formula was fake...and he had no idea what I was talking about.

These two users participated heavily in the PR thread, and had no idea this was a prank. I commend both users for their polite and respectful handling of the situation -- even in the face of all the absurd arguments and discussion happening around them. Internally, we were making bets as to when these two would "crack" and go off on a flame spree. But they maintained their composure throughout, which was remarkable.
I actually stopped posting about it because I was a little scared of it being an April Fool's joke, especially after Tangerine said something about posting a "brutal response" that ended up not really addressing any of my points in particular, and just kind of generically belittled people. And right from the get-go I was tearing my hair out about this post and that was probably the first time that I thought X-act might just be trolling us, but by himself; I thought it might have been some kind of weird setup for his 4000th post or something, but obviously I stopped thinking that as soon as people started actually supporting the formula.

But besides that, I had a long PM conversation with a member I know from a completely unrelated competitive community discussing this at length, and basically just put way too much time into laying out exactly what my thoughts/reasons were for opposing any sort of anti-hax proposal of any kind. I guess you could call it a huge waste of time, but on the other hand I really like to do that sort of stuff anyway so this was almost just a good excuse to act like I know what I'm talking about.

But anyway, this was pretty much amazing. Agreeing with Tangerine that AncienRegime was godly, I'm probably biased because I was the one playing "ping pong" with him but his responses were just really believable and appropriate. It's kind of funny because if this weren't a joke, I'd pretty much consider him a gigantic asshole. If that doesn't say "mission accomplished" then I don't know what does.

Tangerine was crazy as hell, I was seriously just kind of confused and shocked by most of his posts and "we don't need your plebeian opinions" was the best line ever. You were really intense but I just thought that was your "overdrive" mode or something... was slightly frightening lol. oh god and "lemmiwinks is the only one to make decent points in this thread," that was just plain hurtful lol

Jumpman was pretty amazing going from "skeptical" to "having a half hour conference call with DJD and X-Act." In hindsight I'm not sure whether to consider that really really suspicious, or somehow strangely appropriate. I also remembered you talking about playing Poker on #biuret or something a couple months ago, and I didn't really know what to think about that at all lol.

I didn't really think too much of reachzero's sig either and was just kind of "disappointed" when he started "supporting" the formula. I thought it was just some really retarded extension of his position against unbanning Evasion, but in hindsight it was probably a stupid thing not to at least bring up in arguments or something.

Oh, and it was kind of weird that Qibing sort of expressed support of the formula in #biuret, but didn't write a novel about it on Smogon. I was almost disappointed >_>

Tangerine said:
Yeah, the entire BlueCookies bit was planned. The entire thing ended in about 8 minutes which... in reality might be a bit too fast. Surprised no one caught onto that.
I read the first two posts, and by the time I finished, I refreshed and the thread had two more posts and was locked. Again, I just kind of had a question mark above my head and moved on, lol

But, something like this had better never be implemented.
lol

Very nice joke...

lol, you couldn't imagine how fast I signed on, hoping to see people's impressions from this new ladder, only for me to see it was a joke.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ahahh this was so much fun to be apart of. I'm happy a few of you enjoyed, sorry for those of you who are pissed off though! Thanks Doug for heading the operation ^_^.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)