The Anti-Hax Formula: Curtain Call

Fantastic stuff guys. I was doing my usual (lurking on the boards, not really saying anything) and was thinking that the whole Anti-Hax thing was ridiculous, but I was willing to actually try it and give it a chance to see how it played. I didn't get round to playing while it was active, but I really wish I had!

Once again, the level of planning and detail that went into this prank is absolutely amazing. DJD, you are a genius. Everyone else involved, you were brilliant. One of the best pranks I have ever seen in terms of tricking people.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
great prank. you got me! I probably would have fallen into a flame war if i didnt give up when i noticed that this was clearly going to go into effect whether i liked it or not...when you lead off a post with "the admins discussed it" that usually means that arguments are futile =\

At least I can take solace in the fact that I was on the right side of the debate and held my opinion! lol

Being strange that I am, I am fascinated by the thought of increasing the coin-flip chance as the hours pass. That is fascinatingly intellectually scintillating. ._O

As for being victimized, I lurked quietly watching the chaos spread and only played one battle just to see what it did (Analyzing data for luck factors...) and then spent a whole 10 minutes explaining to my opponent what the heck it was talking about. I guess I was convinced it was real, too. Great job!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I figured it out near the end but oh god this was amazing. You should all be proud of yourselves.

Oh, and it was kind of weird that Qibing sort of expressed support of the formula in #biuret, but didn't write a novel about it on Smogon. I was almost disappointed >_>
My timing was a bit off on this. I wanted to do such, but I didn't want to force it too early. Then I got caught up with some work I was doing, and the next thing I knew Doug had started the next stage. I was originally going to post some extremely long bit about how I felt the formula should deal with each type of hax, but I was caught up on how to actually fully support this and deal with the issue of it needing to be 'obvious'. What I mean by that is: we needed to have the formula overturn wins in order to make this effective on april fools, but the logical argument (if we accept the premise of this in the first place) is that we should keep the win/loss, and just have the rating change based on the formula.

So by the time I got around to posting, I decided it would be best if I expressed concerns in the opposite direction (is this really working well enough?), while agreeing that it might be ready for testing soon due to how few battles were affected.

BTW, I've been sick for the last few days, and this thread is (literally) killing me due to laughter. I'm really glad we can consider this a success.

P.S. - A funny exchange when talking about Noah revealing the joke:

[23:47] darkie: make a new account "Noah"
[23:47] Tangerine: lol
[23:48] DP-Crobat: yeah
[23:48] Tangerine: with the shoddy mod badge
[23:48] DougJustDoug: Noah would be hilarious too.
[23:48] DP-Crobat: we need a Noah account
[23:48] reachzero: lol Noah** would be perfect for the White Knight role
[23:48] darkie: "This is Doug's bot speaking. I have taken over control of his computer and found the formula"
[23:49] Lorak: It needs to be all HAL2000-like.
[23:49] Lorak: "I can't allow you to overturn that battle, Dave. I mean Doug."

I was the unfortunate soul who had to console Blame Game in his time of dire need.

You all almost drove the poor kid to the point of insanity, we wasted far too many words on actual legitimate discussion of the concept... and some words on not so legitimate discussion.

Once they mentioned a special test server had been put up:

Blame Game said:
As I See It said:
what the fuck is wrong with these "competitive battlers"

shouldn't the statfags have done something by now, or are they too busy jerking off in their own little dreamland.
yeah they'd rather flex their math muscles by implementing retarded formulas than introduce actual practical solutions to anything.
A little bit earlier; Blame Game has completely given up by now:

As I See It said:
Blame Game said:
As I See It said:
Blame Game said:
at this point I'm seriously considering dropping my argument altogether so I can just sit back and watch them flounder.
God bless those poor, poor fools.
did you see this? http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1828004&postcount=59

I'm waiting until after april fool's to panic though >_>
Surprise! I hope you enjoyed our joke on the pokemon community.

Those in favour of the formula please report to Firebot for a public lynching.

Have a nice day!

It was funny- I found out that it was a joke just after I started liking the idea of an Anti-Hax Clause. I even convinced myself, with an elaborate argument, that it wouldn't mess up Hax Togekiss and the like. Great job guys =D

What are you doing next year?

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would've passed on the info, but... well, I preferred to protect anonymity. Thanks for the support, though! It was "tough" holding up against all that nonsense. I would probably share a similar sentiment as the one I expressed, to be honest, though I would... you know. Actually back up my arguments.
You mean my nonsense?

Oh god that was fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)