Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
just protect to take fake out...out of play

houndoom has about a 20% chance to beat you if it flinches with dark pulse (choice scarf, max SpA Mild) but it depends on what level it's at

I just started my second "I need to beat this shit" run for Battle Hall. Just a note/question: Doesn't CB Outrage do more to Solid Rock Rhyperior than the Super Effective Earthquake after the ability buffer? (140 or 170 damage vs. 180?)

Ran into both Rhyperior and Aerodactyl in the Rock Zone but made it out alive (OHKO w/ Outrage on Perior, Stone Edge failed to OHKO and Outrage did on Aero). Changing order I do things in so Ground is at a lower level when I fight it, but I'll report back when I (hopefully) make it back where I was before getting robbed.

(oh man 1000 posts, I should do a giveaway with my non-WiFi at school)

Just had one of my most haxy battles which stopped my streak. I got 100 streak in the Double Battle Tower in Platinum, and lost at 101.

This was my team:
Lead#1:
Jolteon @ Focus Sash
Volt Absorb - Timid
IVs: 14 / x / 30 / 31 / 31 / 31
EVs: 4 Special Defense / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
- Rain Dance / Protect / Thunder / HP Ice 69

Lead#2:
Ludicolo @ Lum Berry
Swift Swim - Modest
IVs: 27 / 6 / 31 / 28 / 29 / 31
EVs: 132 HP 4 Def 248 SpA 124 Speed (Outspeed +speed Electrode in rain)
- Fake Out / Surf / Ice Beam / Grass Knot

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Water Absorb - Bold
IVs: 31 / 16 / 30 / 31 / 31 / 30 (... best pokemon I've ever bred)
EVs: 152 HP 248 Defense 100 SpA 8 Speed
- Brine / HP Electric 68 / Toxic / Protect

Metagross @ Life Orb
Clear Body - Adamant
IVs: forgot exact, but 31 HP and attack and near 31 for Def & SpD.
EVs: forgot exact, but 252 Attack EVs, enough HP EVs for LO #, enough speed for outspeed neutral base 70s with no Speed EVs, rest in Defense.
Stats @ level 50: 179 HP / 205 Attack / 150 Def / 110 SpD / 91 Speed
- Bullet Punch / Ice Punch / Protect / Earthquake

Basic Strategy:
Jolteon Rain Dance while Ludicolo Fake Out on first turn, and then attack accordingly. I fake out the one that will pose a bigger problem to Ludicolo. I generally don't fake out the one that I think will have earthquake, because getting Jolteon down to one HP is usually good, since both opponents will try to attack Jolteon next turn, when Jolteon can protect while Ludicolo (or whoever's out) gets a free hit.

How I lost:
This was pretty dumb. My opponents had an ice team, leading with Dewgong and Froslass.

Turn 1:
Ludicolo used Fake Out on Dewgong. Jolteon used Rain Dance.
Froslass used Hail. Dewgong flinched.
-> Jolteon's Sash is useless now, but I feel I should get this rain down.

Turn 2:
Jolteon used Rain Dance.
Froslass used Blizzard. Jolteon is frozen solid (~30% health left). Ludicolo is frozen solid (~40% health left). Lum berry cures Ludicolo's freeze.
Ludicolo used Grass Knot on Dewgong (~85% damage).
Dewgong used Signal Beam on Ludicolo which didn't kill but did confuse Ludicolo
-> So the 70% accurate blizzard hits both my pokemon and freezes both of them. And then Signal Beam confuses Ludicolo. I don't want to rely on my luck with Jolteon thawing out, so I switch to Vaporeon to take the next blizzard for not too much damage.

Turn 3:
Jolteon went back. Vaporeon came into battle.
Ludicolo is confused... Ludicolo used Surf! Dewgong fainted. Froslass @ about 35ish% I think.
Froslass used Blizzard. Vaporeon is frozen solid! Ludicolo fainted.
Opponent's Abomasnow comes into battle. My Metagross comes into battle.
-> The 70% accurate blizzard hits again and freezes its 3rd victim while killing Ludicolo. Abomasnow kills my rain too. At least Froslass will finally die from bullet punch.

Turn 4:
Metagross used Bullet Punch. Froslass fainted.
Vaporeon's frozen solid! Abomasnow used Giga Drain on Vaporeon, doesn't KO.
Opponent's Lapras came into battle.

Turn 5:
Metagross used Bullet Punch on Abomasnow (>50% damage).
Vaporeon's frozen solid! Abomasnow used Giga Drain on Vaporeon (doesn't die yet, but then dies to hail at the end of the turn).
Lapras used Curse.
My frozen Jolteon came back into battle after Vaporeon fainted from hail.

Turn 6:
Metagross used Bullet Punch on Abomasnow. Abomasnow fainted.
Lapras used Ice Shard on Jolteon. Jolteon fainted.
-> So now finally all my frozen pokemon fainted. Now it's 1 on 1, but my Metagross is at like 55% or so due to hail and Life Orb. Lapras is still at 100%.

Turn 7 - 9?... Metagross used Earthquake on Lapras for very little damage while Lapras cursed a few times and finished Metagross off with Aqua Tail.

Well, that's that! This was my first try ever in the double battle tower in Platinum, and also first time using this team (since I needed Platinum to get Ice Punch on Meta), so I was happy enough with getting 100 streak. I am considering Thunderpunch or Explosion over Protect for Metagross, since Protect is rarely used (only alongside Vaporeon's Toxi-stalling or when vs-ing Slaking). Earthquake is rarely used too though, but then I need something to fend against electrics (though most of the time Ice Punch suffices).

O yeah, Brine on Vaporeon was REALLY useful. Jolteon & Ludcolo are both faster than Vaporeon and most of the time Ludicolo's Surf or Jolteon's Thunder will do >50% damage to the opponent where Vaporeon's Brine will be able to get the KO. Yeah, I like 100% accurate moves in battle tower.

Now, I think I'm going to breed and try to use Metagross for Battle Hall. I'm probably going to breed at least 3 different ones with different movesets, EVs and natures.
EDIT: Nvm... I can't think of a way for Metagross to beat both Ninetales and Charizard consistently (using one moveset). I'll just think of something else.

Turn 7 - 9?... Metagross used Earthquake on Lapras for very little damage while Lapras cursed a few times and finished Metagross off with Aqua Tail.
Were you not running Meteor Mash? If it only had 1/2 curses you could have tried Bullet Punching it to death, which at least gets STAB and SE.

I'm not running Meteor Mash because it always misses, and Bullet Punch is only neutral on Lapras. Bullet Punch is 40 X 1.5 (STAB) = 60, while Earthquake is 100 base power (since it was 1 on 1).

-> So the 70% accurate blizzard hits both my pokemon and freezes both of them. And then Signal Beam confuses Ludicolo. I don't want to rely on my luck with Jolteon thawing out, so I switch to Vaporeon to take the next blizzard for not too much damage.
-> The 70% accurate blizzard hits again and freezes its 3rd victim while killing Ludicolo. Abomasnow kills my rain too. At least Froslass will finally die from bullet punch.
Don't forget that Hail makes Blizzard perfect accuracy. But still, 3 freezes out of 4 (1/1000) is pretty bad hax.

---

I'm thinking of trying something different for the Battle Hall:

Slaking
Adamant
@ either Life Orb, Choice Band, or Expert Belt
EVs: Max attack, remainder devoted to maximizing defense
~ Return
~ Earthquake
~ Faint Attack (for DTers and Sheddy)
~ Fire Punch

Is there anything that would be best avoided in the Hall with this? And what should the item be?

Don't forget that Hail makes Blizzard perfect accuracy. But still, 3 freezes out of 4 (1/1000) is pretty bad hax.
The two times that Froslass used Blizzard, it was raining, unless the accuracy stays at 100% even though Jolteon moved before Froslass and used Rain Dance on the same turn Froslass used Blizzard.

If you are using Slaking in the Hall, you might as well probably use Giga Impact, I think? I haven't played in the hall much yet so I probably wouldn't have the best answer, but I do not think Expert Belt is a good item for Slaking since Return (or whatever you choose to be your normal move) will probably be your main form of attack (neutral Return hits harder than SE elemental punches unless the punches are boosted, but in that case you might as well boost your Return).

Whatever the item is though, I think Slaking will have a hard time beating:
H444 | Infernape | Adamant | Life Orb | Close Combat | Flare Blitz | Mach Punch | Fake Out | Atk/Spd
(Assuming it uses Fake Out first, of course.)

---

I'm thinking of trying something different for the Battle Hall:

Slaking
Adamant
@ either Life Orb, Choice Band, or Expert Belt
EVs: Max attack, remainder devoted to maximizing defense
~ Return
~ Earthquake
~ Faint Attack (for DTers and Sheddy)
~ Fire Punch

Is there anything that would be best avoided in the Hall with this? And what should the item be?
maybe giga impact over return, loads more damage and no real downside since you cant switch anyway

The two times that Froslass used Blizzard, it was raining, unless the accuracy stays at 100% even though Jolteon moved before Froslass and used Rain Dance on the same turn Froslass used Blizzard.

If you are using Slaking in the Hall, you might as well probably use Giga Impact, I think? I haven't played in the hall much yet so I probably wouldn't have the best answer, but I do not think Expert Belt is a good item for Slaking since Return (or whatever you choose to be your normal move) will probably be your main form of attack (neutral Return hits harder than SE elemental punches unless the punches are boosted, but in that case you might as well boost your Return).

H444 | Infernape | Adamant | Life Orb | Close Combat | Flare Blitz | Mach Punch | Fake Out | Atk/Spd
Anything with protect will kill you? The computer may be smart enough to use protect, i'm not sure.

D'oh, I completely missed the Rain Dance. Sorry 'bout that.

It probably wouldn't even need to Fake Out, Slaking isn't going to outrun Infernape with 0 Speed EVs anyway. Maybe a Focus Sash then to survive the Close Combat and OHKO back with anything after the Defense drop.

From most of the reports I've read in this thread, the CPU seems to go for early OHKOs - would that assumption be accurate?

what about a scarf slaking? With that enormous attack stat and base 150 power giga impact do you really need any more? Even with 0 speed scarfking is gonna outspeed everything and land some vicious one hits, its only problem being those pesky focus sashs. still, are any of the focus sashers strong enough to 2HKO slaking?

I just finished reading the thread on moltres and do you think he can equal skarm in toxi-stalling in the B.T.
I plan to try it out and this is the set im using,probably along side meta and someone who covers his electric weak and water weak

Moltres @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Roost
- Flamethrower

pressure is a major factor and helps in pp-stalling as well.
what do you guys think of the spread?less spd more sp.def?
This is going to be in the d/p battle tower as i havn't got platinum yet.
Ill probable get it in may :/

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I have 49 in battle castle (gold print)

Latios @ Expert Belt
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpAtk/252 Spe
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Surf

Latios has won 90% of my battles. It is fast, hits very hard and it has a great type coverage.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Roost

Scizor is a beast, and with SD + roost, it can set up in things like Weavile that can destroy latios, and sweep the rest of their team

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 160HP/252Atk/96Spd
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang
-Aerial Ace

Garchomp is the cleaner. I am using the EV spread of jumpman, which makes it a great "bulky" revenge killer. AA to destroy those annoying double teamers. I think I have used Garchomp just twice, because most of the times, Latios + Scizor have destroyed opponent's team

An advice for those that want to get the gold print in the bastle castle: if you raise the opponent's pokemon level, you will win 47-50 CP instead of 28 after winning, and in the first rounds (much easier battles), you should always do that.

I just finished reading the thread on moltres and do you think he can equal skarm in toxi-stalling in the B.T.
I plan to try it out and this is the set im using,probably along side meta and someone who covers his electric weak and water weak

Moltres @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Roost
- Flamethrower

pressure is a major factor and helps in pp-stalling as well.
what do you guys think of the spread?less spd more sp.def?
This is going to be in the d/p battle tower as i havn't got platinum yet.
Ill probable get it in may :/
Funny enough, soon after my UGS team lost, I made a draft team with Moltres as the lead. It was Moltres / Lucario / Latias. Which resisted every type a party member was weak to, if I didn't care so much about those, I would've tried Intimidate Hitmontop or good ol' Scizor. (since I had one available)

Unfortunately, I dropped the team concept when I started getting distracted and caught up in Umbreon research. The team never really got on the right footing either as it was just one of those spur-of-the-moment "hey, what about this?" team builds when I was up late one night.

My opinion? Give Moltres a try, a rare portion of Pocket Monsters have stealth rock in DP (if I recall correctly, it was somewhere around eleven?), so Moltres and whatever party you come up with are pretty switchable.
---

In other news: I lost on battle 28 on level 50 Battle Factory. One battle away from making the record list. *sulk* Everything was goin' great, I was excited because I had a great chance of finishing this (surprisingly easy) round of seven... My team was solid, I was winning 2 - 1...

Double Team Baton Pass Leafeon as my lead, Brightpowder Swords Dance Baton Pass Scizor, and a nasty Sharpedo ready to receive any healthy boosts from either. It started out easy, Roserade was Aerial Aced to red, I was poisoned by the ability and hit hard by Giga Drain, I finished it off and things looked bright. Dragonite shows up, destroys Leafeon with Dragon Rush as my one Double Team becomes a waste. Wacan Berry Sharpedo comes in, uses Ice Fang getting it to barely any HP (low red), Dragonite uses Thunder Punch and gets me down to 4 HP! (Faints thanks to rough skin) I'm like "hell yeah, I'm gonna win this thing!"

And then everybody's favorite Jetshark showed up and devoured my team like everyday sushi. Surfing Sharpedo and flamethrower to Scizor. I love when I'm using it, hate it when I'm against it. *sighs*

Updating my record: 169 wins. Battle Matron pulled out lv. 50 Weavile w/ Ice Punch to OHKO Salamence, wasting the time I'd just spent trying to finish the FRIENDLY Battle Hall with my FRIENDLY Salamence, pulling out this TAURIAN EXCRIMENT matchup. My previous post details the strategy I would recommend and I, by and large, stuck to it during my second run, just choosing to fight Bug sooner to not get double haxxed.

In Platinum's Battle Factory Open Level I had a streak of 28.

I had some pretty epic battles along the way. I swept through wins 8-14 with a Sub-Seeding Meganium. I beat Brain Thornton's Quagsire, Walrein (critical hit), and Vaporeon with Leafeon's Leaf Blade. Each took only one hit.

I was swept in battle 29 by a Typhlosion with White Herb and Overheat, critting me once with an Overheat and again with a Focus Blast.

P.S. The Pokemon Factory is a ton of fun. There's considerable luck involved, but you can have some pretty sweet fights here and there.

Yeah. The Battle Factory is really awesome.

I lost at 29 just now too, leaving my streak at 28. I had:

Sceptile@Occa Berry
Timid Nature / Overgrow
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Beam

Porygon2@Wise Glasses
Modest Nature / Download
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Marowak@Thick Club
Adamant Nature / Lightnning Rod
- Earthquake
- Giga Impact
- Fire Punch
- Outrage

Lost in a battle against Yanmega/Toxicroak/Floatzel. I wasn't sure how much damage Yanmega could do to Porygon2 so I kept Sceptile in and used Hyper Beam leaving it with ~95%. It Silver Winded and Sceptile fainted.
Porygon2 comes in and takes ~40% from Silver Wind. I Ice Beam, it faints, and he sends out Toxicroak. He Dynamic Punches and Porygon2 faints.
Marowak comes in, takes an Ice Punch for a little more than half and Earthquakes. He sends out his last Pokemon, Floatzel, who Waterfalls and I lose.

I am really enjoying the Battle Factory since I still don't really have any effective Pokemon to use for the other areas. I am on my 22nd battle and have been doing well so far. From what I see this is based on luck more than anything else. I ran into the most annoying Garchomp in the Factory.

Garchomp @ Bright Powder
-Sandstorm
-Double Team
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake

Sand Veil + Bright Powder + Double Team = VERY annoying. It nearly swept my team before a STAB Adapability Porygon-Z Tri-Attack got through to it.

If you achieve any records using legal hacks allowed to be posted because I might go ahead and Pokesav some Pokemon for Battle Frontier seeing that I won't be trading them or playing against anybody else with them?

As for the Slaking go with Choice Band/Scarf and Giga Impact over Return

I need to get working on the Battle Tower. Lost in the Hall via parahax and Rough Skin. I hate that if you kill the other pokemon and its ability kills you then you lose. So ridiculous.
Anyways, it was cheap, lost to a sharpedo cause I made a stupid choice of pokemon.
@ Muna, that's gotta suck. Tough to beat. *pokes evasion clause*

That is the problem with Battle Hall. Hax completely dominates it.

I just lost on Battle 32 of the Battle Factory Open Level.

The team that I lost while using consist of:

Typhlosion @ Shuca Berry
Adamant
-Flare Blitz
-Earthquake
-Shadow Claw
-Aerial Ace

Sceptile @ Occa Berry
Timid
-Leaf Storm
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Hyper Beam

Feraligator @ Lum Berry
Adamant
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake

I lost against a team of Golduck, Wishcash, and Porygon-Z.

I'm working on the Battle Factory right now (single). My (no longer active) record is 28 wins with 14 swaps. My current streak is 21 wins with 12 swaps.

I've got a few questions in regards to it:

1. Since he's not assigned a special team, what makes Thorton more difficult than the other trainers in the Factory? Is he given a more diverse team, does he have smarter AI, all 31 IVs, access to "better" Pokémon than the trainers do at that time, or what? I can quite often 3-0 random challengers but usually have a tough time even beating Thorton.

2. I always assumed that the percentages that Thorton's "data-analyzing machine" gave out were totally random, but I'm starting to see that I'm getting higher numbers when I have better teams. My team of Dragonite/Blastoise/Metagross was given an 87%, and I destroyed him with it. Does this mean that there is some (slight) validity to the percentage he gives?

3. In Jumpman's list of BF Pokémon, I understand that the higher numbered Pokémon are (generally) "better" and that you encounter them later in your streak, but how exactly is it determined what numbers are available to you and your random opponents at a certain point? In the Factory, I imagine the numbers available to you is also dependent on the number of swaps.

Thanks!

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
well I will research the stuff you asked when I get Platinum unless someone does it earlier

in emerald factory the lv. 100 (open level) movesets worked like this (check out the sticky topic in ever grande city for more info):
1-7 starts with dugtrio #372 and ends with #467 slaking (96 pkmn)
8-14 starts with dugtrio #468 and ends with #563 slaking (96 pkmn)
15-21 starts with dugtrio #564 and ends with #659 slaking (96 pkmn)
22-28 starts with dugtrio #660 and ends with #765 latios (106 pkmn)

battle 29+ was every pokémon from 372 (dugtrio) to 881 (suicune), so basically all from the first round of open level till the end of the list

I guess platinum factory works in a similar way, it shouldn´t be hard to figure out in which set of 7 you will find a particular moveset

I have been trying to come up with some viable sets in Battle Hall apart from Garchomp and Salamence. Here are a few, some better than others, and I was wondering what how vailid you think these would be.

Spiritomb @ Choice Specs
Modest
Pressure
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
-Shadow Ball
-Dark Pulse
-HP Fighting
-Psychic

The only real pro of this set is the fact that you are weak to absolutely nothing and can hit a few types for SE damage while hitting everything for at least neutral damage. Spiritomb reaches a very respectable attack stat of 467 which is enough to cause lots of damage.

Slaking @ Choice Band
Adamant
Traunt
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
-Giga Impact
-Shadow Claw
-Fire Punch
-Sucker Punch

A 225 Base Power move coming from a 690 Attack Stat is something that everybody should be afraid of. It can even manage a 2HKO on Skarmory. Obviously frail Focus Sashers would be problem, but with Sucker Punch, you can KO them as long as they fail to 2HKO you (Weavile's Brick Break is a 3HKO).

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest
Sniper
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Outrage
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-HP Electric (HP Fire vs. Ghost abd Bug)

Kingdra is more bulky than most people would accept. It's typing gives it only one weakness (dragon) so Kingdra can take most unboosted hits and reply with a STAB Draco Meteor from a 476 SpA stat. HP Fire is needed for Shedninja.

I am pretty bored so I went ahead and created these. Some might work, but odds are that they will fail. It is just something to think about.

mr mime crobat absol
ludicolo dugtrio shiftry
nidoqueen vileplume espeon
poliwrath flareon muk
Politoed Abomasnow Flygon
Bastiodon Infernape Cradily
Poliwrath Walrein Wailord
Gengar Ludicolo Electrode
Roserade Slaking Tyranitar
Heracross Hippowdon Floatzel
Kingdra Blastoise Lanturn
Granbull Gastrodon politoed
Absol Porygon2 Forretress
Skarmory Electrode Kingdra
Houdoom Typhlosion Whiscash
Lanturn Blaziken Infernape
Slaking Arcanine Hypno
Weezing Muk Empoleon
Slaking Arcanine Steelix
Swampert Hippowdon Gardevoir
Thornton (56% chance to win ): Charizard Quagsire Latias
Blissey Rampardos Magnezone
Drifblim Salamence Electrivire ( lost)

meh.. streak of 22 because I was so damn stupid... it was his Salamence vs my Bastiodon ( @Sash, Avalance, Metal Burst, Curse, Stone Edge ), he EQs and what do I do ? Click on Avalance, which, despite the Adamant Nature and Atk EVs fails to OHKO Salamence, which dents my Weezing with Outrage too before I kill it, so it was an easy job for Electrivire to kill my Weezing. If I had used Metal Burst there, I woulda win this.

In Battle Tower, I have been doing some experimenting and I thnk I have come up with the best order to do the battles in (hardest to easiest) if you are using Garchomp:

Ice> Dark> Water> Dragon> Ground> Normal> Psychic> Steel> Fighting> Ghost> Flying> Rock> Bug> Posion> Electric> Grass> Steel> Fire>

It is pretty self explanitory. Ice goes first for obvious reasons. Dark follows to take out the dreaded Weavile and Sharpedo. Water comes after that to finish off the Sharpedos and some many water types have Ice moves. If any stronge dragons can outspeed you, they can KO you so that is next. Grounds tend to be bulky defensively. Normal types are just good overall. Heatproof Bronzong can be a real pain if you are running a Choice Item as you will most likely use a fire move to avoid being locked onto EQ vs a levitating Bronzong. Wobuffet can just barely survive a Choice Band Outrage and OHKO back with Counter so that is why Pysychic is next. Fighting has many users of the elemental punches including some Pokemon that can take a hit like Machamp. From there on everything else should be easy to take out.

Edit: I don't know if this has been discovered yet, but it is possible to skip a battle in the Battle Hall. If you select a battle for your 50th or 170th battle, then you will fight the Matron instead of who you are supposed to fight. I know this is probably known, but it does have some practical uses. (Skipping rank 10 Ice and rank 10 dark?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)