Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here, Regi!

Final Submission

Supporting material:
http://ivnbvn.com/images/dragonzap.jpg
http://ivnbvn.com/images/cap8.jpg
http://ivnbvn.com/images/cap82.jpg

It was my intention to submit an animation too, but I don't think I'd get around to it until after the polls have taken place. Thanks to everyone who supported fat dragon and for the comments it received. It was a rewarding experience to keep quiet about the particularities of the design and see what conclusions people drew from it unaided.

Good luck to everyone; the polls feel like they'll be as close as they were with CAP6.

I know I'm not winning with this fellow, but the challenge is the reward. :3 Lots of great submissions, I don't know how I'll decide which to vote on. And I know, I know, glow effects are bad, but I felt it was important to have some kind of field around my fellows' wing to show that it's being held by a magnetic or electrical force, rather than just... floating there.

Final Submission

Supporting material:

http://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09174/icklecap2724.jpg (Purely hypothetical prevo.)
http://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09170/capshield_copy504.jpg (Sketch of my fellow displaying the use of his wing as a shield.)
http://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09170/capextension_copy155.jpg (Wing at full extension.)

Final Submission:

Supporting Material:
First version: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/815/eledra.gif
I was Intrigued: http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8531/misikichan.png
Possible Shinies?: http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9214/elotsacolours.gif

Other: Well guys, it's been an awesome round of art despite the otherwise shaky process we've gone through for CAP 8, I'm proud of myself for this design, whether it wins or not. I know my designs appeal is made somewhat more limited by the pink fluff, but please, I hope you don't let that sway your vote (There's always shinies ;_;). Props go out to Cartoons!, Cyzir, Regi, Buffalo Wings and newer users Velvet Evoker and Blu for their designs (and a special mention to Bearz and DukeOfFunk for their awesome designs), not that the others are bad, but WOW, these guys... (Also, if Cartoons! or Cyzir win, congrats on being the first artist to win 2 CAP's)

Good luck to everyone; the polls feel like they'll be as close as they were with CAP6
Only this time I'm gonna win! (Insert still image of me jumping up with my right arm thrusted upwards) YEAH!

I think I'm going to follow the suit and post my final submission as I can't see myself doing anything else with my design. I think it looks fine as it is, and there haven't been any comments telling me otherwise. It's the same image as my last one, just cropped so it fits the regulations.

Final Submission:

Supporting material:
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5474/resistancesupporting.jpg

Last Words:
Firstly, I am completely enthralled by CyzirVisheen's design. I definitely see it going much further in the polls than my design will, so good luck to the electric hydra! Secondly, thank you to the few of you who have supported my design- your comments gave me the last push I needed to draw up the supporting material image. Overall, I can't wait to see the results of this CAP, nor can I wait until the next one.

Cool

Whoa, this is a really cool project.

If I had known about it sooner I would have submitted some art, but I am too busy with school right now for any kind of serious submissions.

I like pkmn-taicho's the most, followed by cartoon's! submission, and then that thundercloud hydra-thing that Yilx did.

Edit: Regi DS's poke looks reallly good. That one just about ties with pkmn-taicho's IMO.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Lol guys I have no idea why, but I spent the greater part of ten hours working on a piece of SUPPORTING MATERIAL!

But, this is not only my best piece of supporting material I've made, but possibly my best pic ever.

Someone way back mentioned something about my design looking like MetalSeadramon, so I relived my childhood and watched the episode where he got the shit torn out of him by WarGreymon. He looked a bit similar yeah, but the Digimon he beared a closer resemblance too was MegaSeadramon:

So, to showcase the two monsters a bit, and to poke a bit of fun at the whole "lol looks like a Digimon" argument, I made this piece showing the two monsters facing off and fighting. IIRC, MegaSeadramon was able to shoot lightning bolts from his horn. If not, oh well he does now.

Thumbnail that leads to full-sized pic:

Editing my Final Submission post now.

EDIT: They apparently both are unlucky and missed with their Thunders. :x

Hmm..lets see, quick thing in Flash..Woo!
OMG, I love this. I love the Zigzag stripes and the color scheme, it's a perfect blend of the two types, with Electric slightly dominating. Do you think you could sketch some supporting poses?

This design pool is so much better than the one for the previous CAP, I can't decide which I like best.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lol guys I have no idea why, but I spent the greater part of ten hours working on a piece of SUPPORTING MATERIAL!

But, this is not only my best piece of supporting material I've made, but possibly my best pic ever.

Someone way back mentioned something about my design looking like MetalSeadramon, so I relived my childhood and watched the episode where he got the shit torn out of him by WarGreymon. He looked a bit similar yeah, but the Digimon he beared a closer resemblance too was MegaSeadramon:

So, to showcase the two monsters a bit, and to poke a bit of fun at the whole "lol looks like a Digimon" argument, I made this piece showing the two monsters facing off and fighting. IIRC, MegaSeadramon was able to shoot lightning bolts from his horn. If not, oh well he does now.

Wow, KOA. Your art sabbatical has paid off in a big way. Your CG art skills have improved dramatically! I think your "Battlemons" pic is fantastic!

One critique about your lighting and shadows...

Try to stay consistent with your light source. Your shadows "wander" a bit, on several elements of the drawing. I'm lazy about shadows sometimes too, and other times I will intentionally cast shadows in the "wrong" direction, even when I am not using multiple light sources. I usually do that to emphasize some particular shape, but I don't want to go all-out and light the drawing from multiple angles. So I "cheat" occasionally. But, typically, you should try to keep your shadows consistent with your light source (or sources).

Considering how much "flash" you have emanating from the thunderbolts, and their proximity to the creatures -- it seems most natural that the shadows would be cast in relation to the thunderbolts. Since the rest of the picture is dark, it's even more likely that the thunderbolts are the only meaningful light sources. So your creature in the upper left, should probably have shadows cast as if the light source is from the lower right (the middle of the picture) -- which is the location of the thunderbolt flash. The Digimon is already somewhat lit from the left, although it appears that the light is coming from overhead on most parts of the body. A few spikes on the Digimon's back appear to be lit from below, which is off.

If you lit both creatures with deep shadows cast from a light source in the center of the drawing, it would create a very dramatic lighting effect. I rarely do drawings that afford me this opportunity, since most of my drawings are "posed" -- but I enjoy doing dramatic lighting on the few occasions that it comes up. Your drawing really stands out as a chance to do a cool lighting "study". Something to think about in the future.

Technical lighting issues aside -- it's a wonderful picture. And I agree that it's the best pic I have seen from you to date. Great job!

GK! I love yours more and more! You will have my vote for sure! The colour scheme is perfect! Just one idea: One head's nice and the other mean, right? Try removing the teeth on the nice one. Might give even further contrast. It's really bloody brilliant as it is, though!!

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Yeah Doug, I noticed the shading discrepancies too little too late. I'm usually pretty good with keeping consist shadows, but this was the first time I ever made a battle scene like this.

Eeeeeeh, it happens.

Also, I'm glad you reverted back to the Egyptian influence, Keishinkae

In my opinion, it was what made your design come to life.

I literally joined just now simply so that I could comment on these arts. =P

pkmn-taicho: Yours is and has been my favorite. I just love the overall look and shape of it, and its design really has an authentic Pokemon feel to it.

Keishinkae: Love it! I'd say it's my second favorite now. The combined design works well. One thing I'd have to say though, is I liked the horns on the earlier design better, as they were more angular and these ones look a bit warped. I also think the back of the head dips in a bit too much from the headdress.

Yilx: Awesome. Strangely enough, my first thought on seeing the arms was 'Rhyperior' but then I was Metagross too. Still a sweet design, though.

RegiDS: This is great. One thing that's a shame is that the base stat rating restrictions essentially prevent CAP8 from being a base 600 pseudo-legend, which is where this thing would really fit in, imo.

Wyverii: Not much to say, other than that this is made of win.

Whoa, this is a really cool project.

If I had known about it sooner I would have submitted some art, but I am too busy with school right now for any kind of serious submissions.

I like pkmn-taicho's the most, followed by cartoon's! submission, and then that thundercloud hydra-thing that Yilx did.

Edit: Regi DS's poke looks reallly good. That one just about ties with
pkmn-taicho's IMO.
Woops, I thought Yilx did the hydra one. Yilx's still looks good, it just doesn't look enough like an electric type to me.

Final Submission

Final Submission:

Supporting Material: Pending

Final Words: Well, this had its up and downs..mostly on trying to make this thing look bulky enough. Im done working on it, so this is my final piece. I intend todo supporting material, thus why its pending, but it I cant after submitting this, then I may do an art thread or some such. I hope to participate in future CAPs as well!

Also, I'm glad you reverted back to the Egyptian influence, Keishinkae

In my opinion, it was what made your design come to life.
I couldn't have it better myself. The Egyptian headdress really made his design so damn great. I mean I did like the one without it myself, but the headdress with bull horns was what drove me to support that piece of work the most. Great job there, Kei.

this is my cap submission. can you guess what it is based on?
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/jujuca/ElecDrag1.png

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/jujuca/ElecDrag2.png

if you didnt guess it even with the blatantly obvious words and arrows, then i guess i need to train my drawing skills X) it's supposed to be an electric guitar dragon. and while i really like the concept, it... really doesn't look so good. but damn, i wanted to participate in a CAP eventually, and i thought, why not start by here?

when this pokemon is attacking, he raises the upper 'guitar' part, see it as like, the fire on cyndaquil's back. he raises that one thing to intimidate the opponent and launch attacks.

its tail is modeled after an electrical socket. i wanted to try something different from the common dragon.
Doomsday, color this in and make it your Final Submission! It's really good :D

If this is colored, it will rock my socks. A lot. :)

Blargh. Too many amazing submissions here. I have a pretty hopeless shot, but it's a shot none the less!

Final Submission:

Final words: The concept behind him was inspired for a design for a "cute" CAP. He wrecks havoc luring foes into a sense of self security with his goofy look only to baffle them with his raw appliance power! A sturdy lamp can keep things safer then you may think!

Same here, Regi!

Final Submission

Supporting material:
http://ivnbvn.com/images/dragonzap.jpg
http://ivnbvn.com/images/cap8.jpg
http://ivnbvn.com/images/cap82.jpg

It was my intention to submit an animation too, but I don't think I'd get around to it until after the polls have taken place. Thanks to everyone who supported fat dragon and for the comments it received. It was a rewarding experience to keep quiet about the particularities of the design and see what conclusions people drew from it unaided.

Good luck to everyone; the polls feel like they'll be as close as they were with CAP6.

Damn, its goint to be hard to choose between those 2, anyways, KoA, can I please use the 1430x966 image? I will, of course, give you the credit for it

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
FINAL SUBMISSION

SUPPORTING MATERIAL:

Standing

Crouching

Background Information:

Though a seemingly docile plant-feeder by nature, (CAP8) has a famously foul temper. When enraged, it will pursue its foes at a slow pace, but will never give up until its foe is exhausted, and will almost always bring its foe down. It prefers to use its physical bulk to overpower opponents, and will only usually call upon its considerable elemental power when no other options are available or when ordered to by its trainer. Its fangs do not inject poison, rather deliver an electrical current of 10,000 Volts when sunk into a foe. When fighting more powerful foes it will use its tail to defend itself, and has spikes on the end that deliver a powerful blow. It is heavily armoured, and its plating is nearly impossible to penetrate, but its fleshy underbody is very exposed and thus, (CAP8) is very weak to GROUND attacks. Its claws and teeth, shaped like lightning bolts, aid it in scaling rocky outcroppings to find food high up on mountains. When it feels greatly threatened, which is seldom, it will run an electrical current through its armour, causing sparks to fly from its spines to intimidate its opponent and charge up a possible THUNDERBOLT.

There will be approximately 2 or 3 more days remaining for this poll, please try and get your final submissions in!

All submissions that would like to be in the Art Poll must have the words "Final Submission" somewhere in the post. Any posts that have already done so do not to be reposted.

Final Submission

Main Design:

Supporting Material:
This Pokemon's long horns are constantly charged with electricity and are used to direct and control the charge. This control is so great that if you were you stick your hand between the horns you would get not get a shock unless the creature intends to give you one. If severely ill it will no longer be able to control electricity.

There is a mane of fur growing down its back that is kept stiff by electricity. There is also long fur growing up the back of the upper arms that take a wing-like shape. The stiff strands can break off easily and the Pokemon will often shake its body removing weak hairs and creating a field of dust in its wake.

The creature is gentle and will let people and Pokemon ride on its back and so make excellent mounts for long travel.

-------------

I've changed some of the details of this and added some justification for Shield Dust through the text above. I intended to do more for this but i've hit a huge artist's block. So i'll just put this in. Loving some of the work i'm seeing so far so good luck!

Final Submisson:

Supporting Material:

The "Crystal Storm Dragon" is a reclusive fakemon, who prefers to make it's home in deep seashore caves. It only ventures outside it's home and territory when they sense a storm brewing through the change of ions in the air. These fakemon then venture outside to use the energy from the storm winds and lightning to recharge the energy filled crystals that adorn their bodies. Sailors commonly watch out for this dragon on the coast to warn them if a bad storm is coming.

As a defense mechanism the crystals that grow on this CaP8's body constantly shed tiny slivers creating a shield of diamond dust around their body. This dust barrier helps in irritating the eyes of enemies and in absorbing energy through the radiation in the crystals. (Dust Shield)

The Story Behind It:
My initial design closely resembled the final I have submitted, but through the help of everyones comments and opinions as well as through the help of pkmn-taicho321's art, I came up with a this final design that I am overly pleased with. My art itself for pokemon is incredibly influenced by Toshiro Ono, the creator of the manga "The Electric Tale of Pikachu" the artwork presented there gave pokemon a more interesting and realistic twist for me, especially my imagination, so I have tried pursuing those same styles. However, I realize my style itself may dissuade voters but in my belief it is more up to the spriters to create the "actual pokemon look" I am merely creating the concept.

The concept itself was centred around using the Piezoelectric properties of crystals like Quartz, Shocked Quartz, and most Ionic Crystals in general to form the basis of my electric typing. I then gained a lot of inspiration from the dinosaur Ankylosaurus, and many Theropod dinosaurs for use as the dragon typing. Ankylosaurus is a heavily armored dinosaur, which helped support the chosen bulk of this CaP and it is also armed with a large tail club, which with inspiration from pkmn-taicho321, I created a large crystalline club at the end of my fakemons tail. By combining these two main concepts I finally came up with what I refer to as the CSD (Crystal Storm Dragon). Pkmn-Taicho321, again had his hand in helping mold my creation as he inspired me to utilize my original two headed design and give them dual personalities. This further added a neat twist as electricity has positive and negative and I applied these to each head of my design. All in all I could not be any happier with how design turned out and I would again like to thank pkmn-taicho321 and everyone else who commented, for their help in shaping it.

The following are done by pkmn-taicho321:

GK has my permission to us this piece as his final submission

Final Thoughts:

As my very first CaP, this has been an amazing experience. I've developed myself as an artist and I've seen absolutely fantastic artwork submitted by others. Thanks to everyone for their opinions and support, and for dealing with my newness and special thanks to pkmn-taicho321 for taking the time and the energy to do his own version of my design, and allowing me to use it. Thanks pkmn-taicho321! A special no thanks to my broken tablet which had me doing this whole CaP with not even a mouse but that god forsaken knob on the keyboard of my laptop. On that note I've come to respect a good tablet even more now and grown to see how many amazing artists are here on smogon, good luck to everyone in the voting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)