CAP 8 CAP 8 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think Zantimonus' art is where it's at. I love the robotic styling and overall look, it shys away from the tradition organic flying dragons like Salamence and Dragonite.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Cyzir, I hate to say this, but I still feel like the perspective on the legs is a little off. Like, they're too far apart horizontally, and not close enough together depthwise. Does anybody else feel this way?
!
Well damn. Indeed it is off perspective-wise. Though the forelegs are supposed to be that far apart, the back legs weren't. I've made adjustments accordingly. Does this look any better?

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/CyzirVisheen/cap8hydrafinal2.png
This is why I don't like doing quadrupeds >_>

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/CyzirVisheen/?action=view&current=cap8hydrafinal.png
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/CyzirVisheen/?action=view&current=cap8hydrafinal2.png
First One vs. Newest One

!
Well damn. Indeed it is off perspective-wise. Though the forelegs are supposed to be that far apart, the back legs weren't. I've made adjustments accordingly. Does this look any better?
Perhaps you could move the heads upwards? It seems like something is weird about its legs and head...Maybe not. I'm not the artistic one, so I wouldn't know.

Hmm, I can sort of see what Penguino means, (or at least, I think I do.) The left head (our left) is higher above the left leg than the right head is over the right leg

hey again. thanks for all the great feedback. i think most of the complaints were spot on, and that leaves me with this entry:

still a little robotic, i hope you can forgive me.

here's some of the other pics:
http://www.kodiakber.net/forumpost/cap8sketch.png
http://www.kodiakber.net/forumpost/cap8.png

and the full sized one:
http://www.kodiakber.net/forumpost/cap8b.png

good luck to one and all.

FINAL SUBMISSION
It looks great, I wouldn't worry! This pose is beautiful too! ^_^ Perhaps keep the other color scheme as an alternate/shiny version.
@CyzirVisheen:The new pose is much better. You can now tell where all the limbs are, and what is supposed to be a limb and what isn't. Yours is another great design! ^_^

Hey. This one is thought to look more like 1st gen. It was made in paint because I haven't got anything better for now, but I guess I can make it look better.

Definitely not bad for Paint, but if you need something better, try GIMP! Just a suggestion! It's free and psuedo-Photoshop, so... yeah, pretty cool! But to your CAP, I don't really like the color scheme... But that's just me. :P

And, Cyzir, much better! Although, I still LOVE Zant's!

FINAL SUBMISSION

Just finished GIMPing this guy:
Going to keep making edits, but this pic seems to meet my minimum standard...
So I'm going to make this my Final Submission post. I'll continue editing the post with updated images...
But I'm making this here just to guarantee a spot in case I'm not 100% happy before the deadline.

In the mean time, any comments?
Haven't gotten much crit so far...
Any comments are appreciated.

(Yes I know the line art is terrible. Fixing it now...)
So anyway, here's the stuff for the quote:

Main Design

Supporting Material
Images

Design Basis
In all simplicity, the main idea was something of a "wingless-wyvern." The coils around it's tail were edited form Tesla Coils. They don't in the above picture (to be added if there is time- can be seen in original drawing), but they normally have green electricity radiating through them. It has one metal ball at the tip of it's tail, which creates pulses that travel down the tail that let it shoot out electric attacks. The coils are also multi-purpose. They can do plenty of things, to emiting moth scales (*coughsheilddustcough*), scan opponents with weaker sparks (*coughtracecogh*), let the dragon elecrify itself (*coughstaticcough*) or something else of the sort.... *Cough*
...WHAT.

@spaceman. : You sure picked an odd time to come into to race. Better tag that post with Final Submission or you're not going to have any chance to get into the polls! About your design you've got an interesting idea, sorta taking a page out of altiara's book and going with a bird-like look. I don't dislike it, but I do agree with AgentLym. Play around with the colors. Try making that yellow not so... yellow. Seriously it's bright enough to burn out someone's eyes. And Purple is a nice color but I'm thinking an orange or blue gray might work better. If you don't know try every color combination you can think of and get some opinions.

@M190049: I don't like the... gills. Despite the color scheme I can't help but think fish. Same goes for the fins. They are just not necessary. Shedding of unnecessary clutter from a design makes it look dragon like

@Czyir: Your design is great but I think you need to move the tail up and put it at abit of an angle. Quadropeds use their tails for balance. The way the tail is now makes it look subtly off balance. Just nitpicking though.

OK, I fixed the colors. Now that I think about it, it looked terrible. I like the grey one more than the others. By the way what's that Final Submission thing? Sorry, but I looked around the forum and the rules and I couldn't find it...
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9486/electricc.png
so Cyberzero knows that your all finished with you design you must type Final Submission (bold, like I have it) somewhere in you post. It's getting down to crunch time so most artists that aren';t done make a Final Submission post just to be safe. BTW I like the Gray-Blue.

aragornbird, that looks amazing. I can't wait to see it coloured! I really hope you get it submitted on time, because that thing is going to be a big contender.

!
If you don't like doing quadrupeds, why don't you just turn him into a biped?

Also, make sure you have a clear outline when you submit your final submission.

It's a nice concept and great artwork, well done.

Gooey kablooie, thats amazing! your design is so underrated IMHO. I love how you gave a explanation for shield dust.

Zantomonius, Thats awesome too! Sure it looks a little steelish, But i love it!

Final Submission

I realise that I probably should have posted this earlier, but anyway I'm making it my final submission now rather than leaving it to be commented on and then assuming I can come back later, edit it if necessary and still make my final submission before the deadline. (I apologise if it's considered rude to leave it this late...) So, here's my design:

Main Design

Supporting Material
Design Basis
It's a sort of kangaroo-dragon with tiny little arms that aren't too good for physical attacks. It uses its tail to release electricity for special attacks, however. The wings are essentially decorative (perhaps a remnant of a smaller, speedier Pokémon a few million years back on the evolution line) and it can't fly, but it can use its powerful hind legs to bounce like a kangaroo.

Buffalo_Wings

Abnormally Cruel
is an Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

Explanation regarding abilities and stat spread:
The green skin on its body and mouth connected like a circuit act as capacitors, building up charge to act as a launch pad for special attacks, and also creating static electricity (static) which it uses to attract and control dust (shield dust) and makes its coat stand on end in sharp spikes. It's natural bulk and blubber allow it to absorb attacks with relative ease, however it's large size slows it down.

Supporting material:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4281/wyvoltcapsupport2.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2200/capfinallineart.jpg

Hope you guys like my final version! I feel like it's kinda let down by the colouring, and im not sure what the general opinion on the circuit design will be (although i like it).

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you don't like doing quadrupeds, why don't you just turn him into a biped?
Well I would, but it feels more natural to have it being a quadruped rather than a biped. Some depictions of the hydra are bipedal sure, but I prefer it having 4 legs. (Despite how much I dislike drawing them x_x)
Also, make sure you have a clear outline when you submit your final submission.

It's a nice concept and great artwork, well done.
Well, I can make the thunder outlines darker but I doubt I'm changing it (or have enough time to...). After all, there IS already a clear outline for the yellow lightning parts. I made it a dark yellow orange color, which I felt was dark enough to distinguish the electricity without making it too dark. It's an effect also used by Rotom and Moltres' flames. It gives it a certain 'feel' solid black lines can't. Thanks though, I'll try and see if I can muster up a darker outline later today...

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, I can make the thunder outlines darker but I doubt I'm changing it (or have enough time to...). After all, there IS already a clear outline for the yellow lightning parts. I made it a dark yellow orange color, which I felt was dark enough to distinguish the electricity without making it too dark. It's an effect also used by Rotom and Moltres' flames. It gives it a certain 'feel' solid black lines can't. Thanks though, I'll try and see if I can muster up a darker outline later today...
Your outlines look fine, Cyzir.

To all artists -- The outline rule was put in place to ensure that artists submit colored lineart (i.e. cartooning), not paintings. Cyzir's work is obviously lineart, and has a clearly distinguishable outline on all elements.

Final Submission

Explanation regarding abilities and stat spread:
The green skin on its body and mouth connected like a circuit act as capacitors, building up charge to act as a launch pad for special attacks, and also creating static electricity (static) which it uses to attract and control dust (shield dust) and makes its coat stand on end in sharp spikes. It's natural bulk and blubber allow it to absorb attacks with relative ease, however it's large size slows it down.

Supporting material:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4281/wyvoltcapsupport2.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2200/capfinallineart.jpg

Hope you guys like my final version! I feel like it's kinda let down by the colouring, and im not sure what the general opinion on the circuit design will be (although i like it).
Oh F yeah!
Sexy as hell.
And the circuit design looks great.
This, Cartoons, and Zanti = TOP 3

I vote for Zantimonius, but only because I'm a sucker for all things robotic-looking. And because I don't really like cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)