5/9/2009 ultimatedra's Pokemon VGC Tourny Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can view pictures here

Well, let's start off by saying that the tournament was is seattle...about a 14+ hour drive from where i live in Salt Lake City,UT.

So, me and four other people decided to head out to Seattle around 2AM Friday morning. There where a total of five people in a sub-compact car. i have to say that i have had better times going to events. So as we are heading out, i was still training my team, my nephews team, and TheAnaconda's team. so i did have plenty of time ahead of me for that.

For any of you who have never been to Seattle, or Washington in general, the drive is pretty cool. trees where everywhere, and snow in the mountians. looked alot like Park City, UT.

So, as we are aproaching seattle, someone says: "Isn't our hotel in Kent, not seattle?"
that is when we realised that we programed the Tournament site in the GPS, not the hotel. Most of us where fine going out of the way to get a look around the city. for anybody who has never been so seattle, it is right near inpossible to navigate those streets without a GPS.

so we backtrack to get to our hotel. it is around 5PM at this point. Then we realise that the hotel we booked was for friday the 15th. we take the $6 fee and where able to get that ironed out. Some of us slept in the hotel, but me, my nephew, and Windjet went to GameStop to get a copy of Pokemon Platinum for my nephew. Then when we get back, The Fish King and TheAnaconda both went to go see the new Star Trek movie, while me, my nephew, and Windjet where still training for this whole thing we drove out for.

So, by 2AM the day of the event, everybody was ready but Windjet. all he needed was Ice Punch put on his Metagross, so that was done right before getting registered.

Now, we have TONS of time to kill. random people trading,training,battleing etc. sence the milotic upload was not open yet. The announcer guy eventualy found out that the five of us had come from Utah, and went to find out if anybody elce came from that far. he then announced that we had come the farthest for this tournament. we then saw the pokemon start break dancing as well as some other random stuff happen, and then it was announced "the selected people are being displayed now, look at your wristband to see if you have been selected". the moment of truth.

I got in, Windjet got in, and The Fish King got in. we where very excited at this point. i will not list off my team for you all:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Rock Slide
Fire Fang
Crunch
Taunt

Zapdos @ Charti Berry
Thunder Wave
Roost
Thunderbolt
Drill Peck

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Stone Edge
Waterfall
Aqua Jet
Protect

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Explosion
Hammer Arm
Thunderpunch
Bullet Punch

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Hydro Pump
Confuse Ray
Thunderbolt
Protect

Ludicolo @ Enigma Berry
Ice Beam
Fake Out
Double Team
Hydro Pump

I get moved into the green area and am about to go into my first battle:

Vs. Andrew?
Rapidash,Zapdos,Machamp,Snorlax

I Start with Aerodactyl and Metagross, he started with Zapdos and Snorlax.
First thought was "I got this", and i did. i chose Hammer Arm on metagross for the sole purpose of Snorlax.

Aerodactyl used Rock Slide. Critical and Flinch on Zapdos, Hammer Arm Snorlax.
4-3
Andrew Sends out Metagross
Aerodactyl used Rock Slide. KO Zapdos, Flinch Machmp,Hammer Arm Machamp KO.
4-1
Andrew Sends out Rapidash. At this point, he says to me good game. he said he had sash on his rapidash.
Metagross uses bullet punch on rapidash, Aerodactyl uses Rock Slide, Critical, Game

I was the first person to win that round, and i was feeling pumped as the announcer says "Looks like Utah is pulling ahead being the first person to pass to the next round"

Vs. ???
Infernape,Zapdos,Garchomp,Snorlax

He Leads with Garchomp and Zapdos. I Lead with Aerodactyl and metagross.
Metagross uses Bullet Punch on Garchomp, Aerodactyl uses Rock Slide. Flinch Garchomp, Misses Zapdos (This is the first of many)
Zapdos uses discharge, does not affect garchomp, PAR my metagross.
Metagross Bullet Punches again, as i had to get around the speed he had over me, and i rock slide again hitting Garchomp (almost KO) and misses yet again on the zapdos. garchomp uses earthquake and KO's my Metagross
3-4
I send out Zapdos. Aerodactyl uses Rock Slide...KO's Garchomp and Misses for the 3rd time on Zapdos.
Zapdos uses Thunderbolt on Zapdos, and his Zapdos uses discharge again.
3-3
he sends out snorlax. I rock Slide again, flinches snorlax, and misses the Zapdos for the 4th time. lucky guy. zapdos uses thunder on Aerodactyl, and misses. Zapdos uses thunderbolt on zapdos bringing it to half.
I Rock Slide for the KO on Zapdos (About time) i use thunderwave on Snorlax, he selfdestructs and KO's both of my pokemon.
1-1
Infernape comes out, and Kabutops comes out. I Aqua Jet thinking this is game, but his sash kicks in, he uses Close Combat, Critical Hit, and Kabutops is down. I had half expected him to use Fake out first, but he didn't.

oh well, he won and i had fun. It was close too.

After my loss, i was given my Shiny Milotic and a DS Lite Skin that had the Pokemon VGC logo, and Giratina Origin form on it.

Props:
Three of Five from Utah getting in.
Everybody who entered got the Shiny Milotic, even if they did not get to play.
Windjet coming with, as this is his last event before he ships out for the Army.
My Nephew who totaly p0wNeD me after the event was over.
Me totaly p0wNing The Fish King after the event was over.
The best Lunch and dinner EVER, and our Server "Coors", who comped our drinks.(he got a $13 tip for that)
Seeing Jimmer show up and being told he could not use his Milotic

Slops:
14+ hour drive each way.
2 of 5 from utah not getting in
Freezing cold waiting in line
Me missing 4 times with rock slide durring round 2. (would have won if that did not happen)

Thanks for reading! Pictures can be seen here

~ultimatedra~

Awww, 4 Rock Slides missing Zapdos isn't fun. I can't wait for the pictures. It's good the Milotic goes to all. Also, is the Milotic resettable (I know it's not by Mystery Gift. Do you get it at the green guy or does it appear in your party like 3rd Gen events?). Also, I think you made a mistake with the Discharge situation. Discharge hits all on the field, so how come it didn't hit Aerodactyl for 4 turns (Aero is Rock/Flying)?

Awww, 4 Rock Slides missing Zapdos isn't fun. I can't wait for the pictures. It's good the Milotic goes to all. Also, is the Milotic resettable (I know it's not by Mystery Gift. Do you get it at the green guy or does it appear in your party like 3rd Gen events?). Also, I think you made a mistake with the Discharge situation. Discharge hits all on the field, so how come it didn't hit Aerodactyl for 4 turns (Aero is Rock/Flying)?
Yeah actualy it is done my mystery gift, but they put in a cartrage in the GBA slot to download it.

i know it is done via Mystery gift is becouse the girl gave me back my ds on the screen that says "go pick it up from the pokemart"

and about the aerdactyl, he must have missed with thunder then. my bad.

Yay. That means that it isn't mystery gift (meaning random passerbyers can't get it), while you still get it from the green man. That means resetable Shinies.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Don't know who this Jimmer guy is, but why couldn't he use his Milotic?

Don't know who this Jimmer guy is, but why couldn't he use his Milotic?
Master Trainer Jimmer in an Old employee for Pokemon USA inc, and a good friend of mine.

As for the milotic, the staff there had never played pokemon, as they where employees of the convention center. they thought that you can ONLY get milotic from the download, and tryed telling him that it is not released yet.

Seriously, you played your best. It's unfortunate you were up against such absurd luck. And props for using Aerodactyl.

Sorry about the bad luck man, I hope you do better and hopefully qualify for Nationals in your other stops. Good luck!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
???

Awesome story!

Just so I understand right, there were more than 128 people that showed up there? About how many would you guess showed up?

Thanks!

I call epic hax against Haxdos there. It's as though he had BrightPowder as a hold item...

Nevertheless, pretty nice story, and I know the feeling when you miss repeatedly...

*shakes fist at Bronzor who evaded my Gardy's Focus Blast five times comseutively like a proper little fuckwit*

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Thanks

Thank you VERY much for the estimate of applicants to the senior division! I'm glad I'll be driving to Nashville then. Even if I don't get picked there, there's still a chance I can get picked at St. Louis! I guess I'll make sure me and my wife and daughter have a back-up plan for Nashville though! JUST NO HOKEY HO-DOWN OPRY MUSIC SHOW!!! XD

No problem. When the two from utah did not make it in, they where looking at teams i would face and let us know if we need to change into our 2 optional pokemon. i would say bring some friends who can come in, in case you have to play them, so they can drop and send you to the next round.

Sucks about the bad luck. :( TBH I think you would have went really far in the Tournaments if not for that..

Awesome job being a trooper, doing a 14hr drive!

Sucks about the bad luck. :( TBH I think you would have went really far in the Tournaments if not for that..

Awesome job being a trooper, doing a 14hr drive!
Thanks.
This weekend i got 10 hours + Stops for California.
The Week after that is 11 hours + Stops for Arizona.
And The Week after 20 Hours + Stops/Hotel for Texas. We may not go to this one.

I got some travel ahead of me ;-)

So how's the selection process work? All 250 people get put into a hat and then 128 people are selected at random - no matter when they showed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)