CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 15a - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Well i've done work on the backs. If there's no more objections i'll be making this my final submission. I'll be looking forward to the other entries.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist

Didn't feel like bandwagoning the whole "pink fluff" shiny approach, so I took a new spin on the coloration. Also gender differences are very minute this time around, females just have shorter claws. This ain't enough of an impact to affect the backsprites at all, so they use the same ones for both genders, I just posted them twice for convenience though.

Great pose KoA, but something strikes me as odd about the sprite in general. I think it is the outlines in some places? The right-front claw of all four front sprites has the talons angled rather awkwardly in my opinion.

Then again, I am the guy who was complaining on Wyverii's eyebrow (which I see nothing wrong with now, by the way, I am not sure if anything changed but it seems to fit now.), so all that may be moot.

Anyways, great sprites all around. I made one already, but it is not up to par with the other sprites, so I will just keep it to myself and download the others for comparison and how to improve my technique.

DAMN this thing is harder to draw than I'd realized. I've spent like the past 2 hours just trying to get a pose/sketch down. ><;

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7628/cap8.png

Let me know how this is, because I am beyond frustrated with this thing. I like drawing the heads, but that body never seems to be the right shape and always looks like lumpy mashed potatoes. x_x

KoA

is an Artist
I like it but it doesn't really look like it's ready to battle the opposing pokemon. It looks more like a fanart of the poke in that pose, you know?

Maybe if you shifted the heads to a more frontal position that might help. Also, it kinda looks like it's having an argument with itself, a la dodrio style.

EDIT: actually, just turning the head of the furthest left one would look infinitely better.

locopoke

Banned deucer.

Pretty much finalized the sprites. I'm leaving today and I'm not sure If I'm gonna be back by the deadline so I guess this'll be my preemptive Final Submission post.

Didn't feel like bandwagoning the whole "pink fluff" shiny approach, so I took a new spin on the coloration. Also gender differences are very minute this time around, females just have shorter claws. This ain't enough of an impact to affect the backsprites at all, so they use the same ones for both genders.

Definetely not bad at all. Not only that but I like the approach you took with the Shiny Colors.

Well, here's the colored version so far.

This is by far the best one. I feel most of the other ones have too many complexities and Pokemon are mostly designed to have simpler art, which is why I like this one. The cloud and the positioning is perfect.

Random Question: How come when you quote someone there's a "Fat" before their name?

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
AB's pose is the best so far. Overall is the best sprite.

But, KoA's shiny color scheme is really cool.

Pretty much finalized the sprites. I'm leaving today and I'm not sure If I'm gonna be back by the deadline so I guess this'll be my preemptive Final Submission post.

Didn't feel like bandwagoning the whole "pink fluff" shiny approach, so I took a new spin on the coloration. Also gender differences are very minute this time around, females just have shorter claws. This ain't enough of an impact to affect the backsprites at all, so they use the same ones for both genders.
Lovely, that is a pokemon that I would actually prefer the shiny to the regular type. The back sprite is beautiful. It does a good job of conveying the anatomy of the pokemon without looking ugly.

No doubt about who I'll be voting for. :toast: (no other smiling smileys that don't look dirty/nerdy)

Here's the front sprite; I'm now commencing work on the back.

Cyberzero, a little more time would be extremely useful. Myself (and other users I'm sure) face constraints on weekday free time and would appreciate having a Saturday to finish out sprite submissions.

I addressed some issues mentioned and a new possible shiny (similar to KoA's I guess).

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the backsprites done on time, since most of this has just been done during breaks while studying for finals and writing papers, but I'm going to try.

Cyberzero, a little more time would be extremely useful. Myself (and other users I'm sure) face constraints on weekday free time and would appreciate having a Saturday to finish out sprite submissions.
My top 3
1.-AB
2.-Wivery
3.- You!

For me, this is probably the best pose so far, I agree with you, Cyber, you should give them a bit more time, maybe just 2 or 3 more days, but do what you think best

KoA

is an Artist
Ok so I ended up not leaving so I still have more time to dedicate to this.

I see alot wrong with my sprite now, off I go!

Don't worry, extensions will be given if needed. We're in no rush, but we can't take forever. Since most people are now basically done with the front sprites and are either working on or are done with the back, it'll probably be open a few more days.

This thing is insane. The lineart looks stupid, but mine usually do until I get 'em colored. It also doesn't help that this is my second time doing this (the first time, my computer randomly decided to have no RAM, and wouldn't let me save or copy anything until I restarted.)

I made the left head face forward since a couple people mentioned that. I also made the middle head face upward since I like the way that looks. I do have an alternate lineart with it positioned the original way, though.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here's my latest (and probably final) front sprite.

Here's the shiny coloring I think I'm going to use. I call it "Blue Skies and White Lightning".

I've got the very beginnings of a back sprite put together, but I'm having a hard time getting motivated to work on it. Normally, I only enter sprites because I'm not satisfied with the other sprites submitted in the competition. But this time around, I really like two or three sprites by other artists. I've spent enough time working on the front that I want to do a full submission, just to complete the project. But, I'm not nearly as motivated to finish this, as I was when I started.

EDIT: I definitely considered the fact that this is not the first shiny sprite I've made that uses a lot of white (see Fidgit). But, I really couldn't get another color that I liked as much with the blue cloud. Here's a link to some of the other shiny color schemes I considered:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9669/elecdragon17othershinie.png
I settled on the blue, white and yellow shiny above because it is basically a rearrange of the colors already in the normal sprite (the "white" in the shiny is actually a very light gray). That seemed very fitting to my "pokemon sensibilities".

This thing is insane. The lineart looks stupid, but mine usually do until I get 'em colored. It also doesn't help that this is my second time doing this (the first time, my computer randomly decided to have no RAM, and wouldn't let me save or copy anything until I restarted.)

I made the left head face forward since a couple people mentioned that. I also made the middle head face upward since I like the way that looks. I do have an alternate lineart with it positioned the original way, though.
I actually really like this pose. get some good coloring, backsprites, and shineys and you'll have a good entry

Looks great, and I honestly think that this could very well be one of the best sprites here. Just needs some good shading and coloring.

I honestly think the shading is a little hard to see. I just saw one solid color at first. I think it would look better if the shading has more distinct. Just a nitpick.

Doug, I know you're trying to make the Pokemon more Dragon-like, but I'd suggest sticking with what the art's purpose is. The art makes the Pokemon both cute and powerful and you're making it solely based on looking powerful. I see no cuteness. I haven't talked about CaP a lot, but IF I could sprite, I'd stay within the lines of the art, not overlook anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)