CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 10 - Name Poll 5

What should CAP 8's name be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back, so I'll be in charge of CAP 8 for the remainder of the project. A huge thanks to CyzirVisheen for taking over on such short notice and for doing such a great job!

Our Pokemon so far:

Type: Electric / Dragon
Style Bias: Somewhat Defensive
Build Bias: Mixed, possibly Special
Ability: Shield Dust/Static
Stats: 108 HP/60 Atk/118 Def/112 Sp Atk/70 Sp Def/80 Spe

This will be a clicky poll. Select one of the following options:

Cyclohm
Hohahihehu said:
Since I've seen a little support for it:

Final Submission
Cyclohm

Cyclone, which is a storm, and Ohm, a unit of resistance which on an electric pokemon implies bulky. Or refers to it's 4x resist to electric.
Atmosfere
Thorns said:
Third time, my final submission is Atmosfere. The best part is it's not thunder word + dragon word, really.

Just posting to say this:

If Atmosfere wins, it better be changed to Atmosfear or Atmosphere.

No matter what, at least it won't be as bad as CAP7!

Cyclohm all the way! I can't believe it made it to the final round... I feel happy :)
And I agree with Billy, it can't be worse than Kitsunoh. Japanese =/= Win people.

If Atmosfere wins, it better be changed to Atmosfear or Atmosphere.
Atmosfear, definitely. Atmosphere is just a rather boring word.

Which means it should be obvious who I voted for.

And I kind of like Kitsunoh. I didn't at first, but it grew on me. Arghonaut, on the other hand...bleh.

Go,go Cyclohm! Seriously, Atmosfere doesnt even sound halfway as cool as Cyclohm does, no offense Thorns, I respect you, but I just didnt like the name

Not much more to say here. I guess Atmosfere is a great name because it directly relates to the Pokemon's cloud body!

Vote Atmosfere please!

Seeing as Nimbus is gone, I voted Atmosfere. I actually do not mind the spelling of it at all; I don't know why some of you guys would want to change it.

Atmosfere all the way. (Incidentally, Atmosfeare would be my most-preferred spelling.)

Cyclohm is not a good name. It doesn't look pleasing, it's not fun to say, it rolls off the tongue, it doesn't sound particularly wonderful, and it sounds more like a pure-Flying type than an Electric/Dragon anyway. An elaboration on my arguments against it can be found here.

The main argument against Atmosfere is 'it's a bad mispelling.'. Guys, you don't have to justify your vote. If you like Cyclohm, that's cool. Don't make yourself look stupid in the process. I really want to pull out the Jynx and Fidgit card here.

Same with the Atmosfere supporters. I like it that you're encouraging people to vote for the obviously superior name, but use good reasoning!

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Both look like really poor spelling to me, however I went with Atmosfere. Hopefully we will be able to change the spelling and make it Atmosfear, which already seems more eye appealing.

I went with Atmosfere, it's way easier to pronounce and rolls right of the tongue, where as cyclohm doesn't sound very natural.

About the change in Atmosfear/Atmosphear I can only say NO. It's to obvious, phear looks like some 1337 kid spelled it, and atmosfear is WAY too obvious. Maybe Athmosfere looks better, ot breaks the word, and still sounds good.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Go Atmosfere! But yes, a spelling change will make it look cooler than it already is.

This poll is really close...

My reason for voting Atomsfere is that the main feature of this pokemon is its cloudy body. Atmosfere refers more to this cloudy body than Cyclohm does. In fact, the use of "ohm" as a reference to resistance, which is something measured in electric circuits, not in thunder clouds, does not work for this design. For those who are wondering, here are some examples of words that refer to natural electricity: thunder, lightning, storm, bolt (at a stretch).

Considering that Fidgit (which won CAP4 name poll by a landslide IIRC) exist within the CAP forum/server, I don't see why they're a shitload of complains about "bad misspelling" from everyone unless that's the entire point for these complains :/

Ahhh, if Cyclohm wins I'll be so upset. It's like a Pelliper kind of name. Mellow, not threatening. Nowhere near the realm of Dragonite or Tyranitar. (I mean, say it! Say, "Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Garchomp ... and Cyclohm. Eh......)

(Then say "Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Garchomp ... and ATMOSFERE!!! :))

Ahhh, if Cyclohm wins I'll be so upset. It's like a Pelliper kind of name. Mellow, not threatening. Nowhere near the realm of Dragonite or Tyranitar. (I mean, say it! Say, "Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Garchomp ... and Cyclohm. Eh......)

(Then say "Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Garchomp ... and ATMOSFERE!!! :))
I so agree with this. Right on from the first poll I've liked Atmosfere! I so hope it wins. Looks negative to me right now though.

My problem with Atmosfere is not so much the spelling (though it's eh), but moreso how it fails for me to describe this pokemon at all. Atmosphere gives me a pleasant relaxed vibe, and this pokemon seems to me, however cute, like a powerful, viscious lightning dragon. Atmosfear is better but...kinda bordering on annoying with two spelling tweaks...Cyclohm isn't that threatening either but it's vague enough to get my vote on this poll

Atmosfear is better but...kinda bordering on annoying with two spelling tweaks...Cyclohm isn't that threatening either but it's vague enough to get my vote on this poll
Two spelling tweaks? It's just Atmosphere+Fear, much like Cyclohm=Cyclone+Ohm.

As far as this sort of "naming theory" goes, they're essentially the same. Both have an overall word with a secondary word subsumed in it. Arghonaut is similar, being Argh+Argonaut, as is Aerodactyl (Aero-+Pterodactyl).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)