CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 10 - Name Poll 5

What should CAP 8's name be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two spelling tweaks? It's just Atmosphere+Fear, much like Cyclohm=Cyclone+Ohm.

As far as this sort of "naming theory" goes, they're essentially the same. Both have an overall word with a secondary word subsumed in it. Arghonaut is similar, being Argh+Argonaut, as is Aerodactyl (Aero-+Pterodactyl).
Aerodactyl is very different from the other three, though, as the absence of the initial consonant sound of "t" makes the name pronounced very differently than a mere mispelling of pterodactyl, and therefore rids it of any potential "cheesy" factor.

I think that the best corruption of Atmosfere would be Atmosfeare. It's not 1337 like Atmosphear, and not so obvious and cheesy as Atmosfear.

Cyclohm's got my vote since the beginning. It rolls of the tounge, to me anyways, much easier than Atmosfear. Also, Cyclohm is two sylablles. Whereas Atmosfear is 3. SI-clOhm vs. At-MOs-FEar. Capitals meaning heavy accent there.

Syclant = Sick-lAnt
BS. Pokemon names are generally pronounced however you want them to pronounced. (I haven't seen the anime, but) I've heard some people say key-OH-gray, and other people say kai-OH-gir, and I don't tell either of them that they're wrong.

Most people say SY-klant (rhymes with bike-lint). Saying that's "wrong" is ridiculous when there's no official primer.

Anyway, it's a meaningless argument anyway, so I'll let it rest =/

About the change in Atmosfear/Atmosphear I can only say NO. It's to obvious, phear looks like some 1337 kid spelled it, and atmosfear is WAY too obvious. Maybe Athmosfere looks better, ot breaks the word, and still sounds good.
What is it with CAPers always adding extraneous h's to their names???!?!!? It's one of the reasons I dislike Cyclohm in the first place ._.

.....If only Stormungand had been one letter shorter =\

What is it with CAPers always adding extraneous h's to their names???!?!!? It's one of the reasons I dislike Cyclohm in the first place ._.

.....If only Stormungand had been one letter shorter =\
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm
XD

"... a unit of electrical impedence... or... ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE."
Which is exactly what CAP8 is.

Cyclohm's not bad. I would've preferred something that mentions its three headedness but I think Atmosfere is representative of a sweeper more than a bulk.

Voted Cyclohm. Atmosfeare does look better (than Atmosfere), but it doesn't seem to resemble a dragon in any way. "Atmosphere" typically makes me think of a peaceful sky, not lightning / cloud / dragon. Cyclohm sounds better going down that route (IMHO).

How is the word Cyclone more suited to a pokemon with a cloud body than Atmosphere ?_?

Granted I don't really love either of the names >_____>

Atmosfere I chose it. But as said in one of the posts.
Change it to Atmofear. Or something like that.

How is the word Cyclone more suited to a pokemon with a cloud body than Atmosphere ?_?

Granted I don't really love either of the names >_____>
Firstly, I don't really love either name myself. I was rooting for Teslacoatl, but the people spoke and I will accept their judgement. (I can always make my own Teslacoatl for my personal enjoyment, right? :P)

Now, to actually answer your question:
"Atmosphere" is a word with several different meanings. In the context of an Electric-type pokémon, it's fairly clearly referring to the weather; however, the word itself can also refer to the particular character of an area, room, or object, either generally or at specific times. (For example, "The boardroom atmosphere was tense as the CEO began talking about company losses.") Also, even if we restrict 'atmosphere' to only its meteorological meaning(s), it refers to essentially all weather and climate on the Earth (or any body with an atmosphere). Generally speaking, when referring to the Earth's atmosphere in an unqualified context, one is speaking about all of it, and this is often conceived as transparent breathables (particularly aboard the Space Shuttle or any orbital station).

"Cyclone", on the other hand, specifically refers to something turbulent. It doesn't *necessarily* refer to clouds (one could theoretically refer to a cyclone of water, or more commonly, dust particles), but generally there are other more specific words if one wants to talk about a cyclone made of something other than clouds. (Whirlpools for water, dust devils for dust, firestorm for burning things, etc.)

So, while both words refer to topics of climate, I can see where someone would more strongly associate the word 'cyclone' with clouds than the word 'atmosphere.' This would be especially common if someone lived in Tornado Alley, or in places that often get hurricaines, because those are both cyclical wind patterns, and they are almost universally accompanied by storms (with lightning).

Anyway, that's my two bits. Sorry for waxing poetic in a clicky poll.

This pokemon does not embody a cyclone like...at all...I don't get why you all like that name.

Cyclohm will be the official name of CAP8. There were many great names, but the majority has spoken!

This poll is also over, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)