CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 15a - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/ChibiPika/Sprites/CAP8/CAP8-FULLSHEET.png

Final Submission

Lots of great submissions, so my chance of winning is probably very slim, but it was a fun experience nonetheless. If my submission doesn't make it through the polls, I'll be pulling for Aragornbird (assuming he gets a backsprite up!) His has the best blend of style and spriting mechanics, imo. The stylistic design aspects of Wyverii and Doug's are reaally not my cup of tea.

Now that Doug has finished his submission I think it went past Nyasu's and is now competing with Aragornbird and Wyverii. Though I still like Nyasu's a lot, of course; the colour scheme is perfect and it goes well with the nice drawing and cool pose.

A lot of nice sprites have been made, but I think Aragornbird has done the sprite which looks the coolest to me. But I do like Doug's back sprite, and as few people have stated; it would be cool to vote them separately. Though I understand it would be more simple if the entirety was only made by one artist.

Nyasu's sprites are very cool, but I'll wait for Aragonbird's back sprites before making a final decision. Just hope they don't miss the deadline like with the art poll!

Final Submission

The shinys are a little different from the previous ones, but I'm still quite happy with them. I also made the gender differences, with the female having a shorter tail. Not much more to say, good luck to everyone who enters.

Well, seeing as I'm not gonna have any time to make any more modifications, I'm just gonna post up my Final Submission. Hope you guys like it.

Considering the standard of all the other entries this year, and considering I've had little feedback, I'd be surprised if I got any votes other than mine, but at least its good practice. I'm rooting for Aragornbird, Clawed Nyasu or Doug in this one, but good luck to everyone.

PS: There is no gender difference, so don't try looking for one. :P

I'm so sad that I can't split votes: I just love Wyverii's front sprite (IIRC) and doug's backsprite, but I'll have to go for doug, if only because it's the only sprite that only shows the heads, and that works so well IMO, and I also like the front sprite. I would just love it if we voted on the front and back sprites seperately, and then colored them according to the frontsprite color scheme.

I just can't wait to see aragorbird's full set of sprites. I really liked his front sprites so I'm kinda anxious to see what else he will make.

Take this to be my Final Submission post. Critiques are still welcome, if the thread isn't closed by tomorrow.

(I decided not to include the gender differences. I initially tried resizing the tail on the female, but thought it looked weird.)

In the future I'm sure I'll be making better sprites, but considering these are the very first sprites I made, I guess I'm happy with them.

Course, if I win, I'll be REALLY happy. :toast::toast::toast::toast::toast:

Take this to be my Final Submission post. Critiques are still welcome, if the thread isn't closed by tomorrow.

(I decided not to include the gender differences. I initially tried resizing the tail on the female, but thought it looked weird.)

In the future I'm sure I'll be making better sprites, but considering these are the very first sprites I made, I guess I'm happy with them.

Course, if I win, I'll be REALLY happy. :toast::toast::toast::toast::toast:
Rule 6 states that all sprites must use transparent backgrounds. Since the poll is coming up in just a few minutes, I'd recommend that you fix that as soon as possible.

Rooting for Wyverii Nyasu and DJD, Quality this CAP has ben outstanding.
Completely agree, not only the art, but also the Pokemon itself has an amazing quality in every sense, typing, ability, concept, movesets seem very well so far, this has to be, in my opinion, the best CAP project as of yet.
Returning to the sprites, in that order my favorites are:
1.-Headpunch(Im probably the only one, lol)
2.-AragonBird
3.-Wiivery
4.-DougJustDoug(mainly for the backsprite)

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm still alive, but I overslept so the final submission I meant to post this morning hasn't happened yet. But fear not, I'll still finish it.

Anyways, I made the shiny blue-orange since that color combination always works well.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
After talking with a few members, they convinced me to change my frontsprite AGAIN. Apparently they felt my interpretation of the heads in Cyzir's design were just TOO stylized. In the backsprites, the angle of the heads really doesn't affect my interpretation of the design -- so many people LOVE my backsprites but dislike my fronts. In an effort to make a front sprite a little less stylized, I have tweaked a few of the elements.

Old ->
New ->

Personally, I like the new sprite, and I'm very tempted to use it. Fortunately, CZ is going to leave this thread up a little longer. So, please let me know if you think this change is better or worse. If people like it, I'll make a new final submission.

At this point in time, I'm really stuck between Nyasu and aragorn's sprites. aragorn's are incredibly proportioned and very official looking. I'm eagerly waiting for your backsprites. Nyasu's aren't as "official-like" in my opinion, but are the most accurate to the original design and amazingly shaded.

Doug, I registered to say that your sprite is just fantastic and a very professional job. With each change it looks even better still, just amazing work. The eye change in your latest revision make it look even more menacing. Great sprite.

After talking with a few members, they convinced me to change my frontsprite AGAIN. Apparently they felt my interpretation of the heads in Cyzir's design were just TOO stylized. In the backsprites, the angle of the heads really doesn't affect my interpretation of the design -- so many people LOVE my backsprites but dislike my fronts. In an effort to make a front sprite a little less stylized, I have tweaked a few of the elements.

Old ->
New ->

Personally, I like the new sprite, and I'm very tempted to use it. Fortunately, CZ is going to leave this thread up a little longer. So, please let me know if you think this change is better or worse. If people like it, I'll make a new final submission.
I like it better... Mostly. That gap in between the two horns on each of their heads sticks out. You said you tried to make it a bit less stylized- more similar to the original artwork... The artwork indeed has 5 horns on the head (one in the center, where that gap is) rather than 4... If you could try adding that? It really does look kinda weird without it.

Also, with your chance, that means your Front Sprite and Back Sprites are ever-so-slightly inconsistent...

I like it better... Mostly. That gap in between the two horns on each of their heads sticks out. You said you tried to make it a bit less stylized- more similar to the original artwork... The artwork indeed has 5 horns on the head (one in the center, where that gap is) rather than 4... If you could try adding that? It really does look kinda weird without it.
Actually, the heads only have four horns. Only a few of the sprites reflect this, though. Look carefully, and you'll see that the middle horn is actually just the neck zigging up. On the far right head of Cyzir's art, where the neck zigs down, you can see that there is no middle horn.

Since the mechanics of spriting are more kind to positioning the heads above the body, having the neck zig down is an easier portrayal.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Also, with your chance, that means your Front Sprite and Back Sprites are ever-so-slightly inconsistent...
Look at the original design again. The middle of the head does not have a "horn", the middle is the where the neck connects with the head. Some spriters have made sprites with five horns, but that's not in the original design. Because of the jagged neck, on the leftmost and middle head in Cyzir's design, the neck spikes upwards and looks somewhat horn-like. Look at head on the right side of Cyzir's design to see more clearly the difference between the horns and the neck. Also look at Clawed Nyasu's sprites. He has done a similar interpretation of the head, as I did in this most recent sprite.

As for my back sprites, I am making a few small changes to be consistent with the fronts. But due to the back sprite pose, it didn't require much of a change.

EDIT: Beaten by Clawed Nyasu. I guess we are both of like minds on this one... (Nyasu, you said "Actually, the heads only have five horns." I think you meant "four".)

Old ->
New ->

wow man, just when i thought you were done, without a chance (no offence) you come back and wow me (us) with a ridiculously amazing version of your sprite. Honestly, i have nothing more that can describe that but WOW.

edit: the back leg, im kinda iffy about that, many people have sid that you should change it... just my suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)