CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 14a - Complete Movepool Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. I actually had it in there in the old list, but I took it out since I saw no reason for it. I'll put it back if any others support it though. I just rememebered that it's paralysis percentage is 30%, which is a nice number (but is it tradable for the power drop?). Even if it's just minor, whoever has anything to say on it, please give your opinion.
Rotom-A has TBolt and Discharge, yet I see many of them with Discharge instead. It obviously has enough support that someone will use it.

I also edited quite a bit of my submission. Its pretty much complete as of now, but if anyone can make a great argument as to why a certain move I left out should go on the movepool (I stated which significant ones I left out), feel free to.

You can find my movepool here.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
@ Sc4rfCh0mp: I would take off Amnesia from the movepool. I had it on mine until I started asking around and found out a lot of people would be very opposed to seeing it there (especially when legal w/ Recover). I also think it's okay to put Dragon Claw in because it's not considered competitive (considering Cyclohm's piss poor Atk means DD or CB sets are considered gimmicky) and therefore doesn't apply to the competitive moves rule. Outrage was discussed and put in Allowed, I think, only because of its higher frequency of use over Dragon Claw. They're still in the same "gimmick" category, though, so both are Allowed if you want them to be. Oh, and a nitpick:
However, the 70 Special Defense would love to get a Light Screen boost.
Agreed.

Otherwise, great stuff.

Level Up Moves:
Code:
1 - Tackle
1 - Leer
8 - Twister
12 - Thundershock
16 - Water Sport
20 - Dragon Rage
23 - Thunder Fang
27 - Whirlwind
30 - Dragonbreath
34 - Tri-Attack
38 - Discharge
42 - Tailwind
46 - Rain Dance
46 - Weather Ball
50 - Dragon Pulse
55 - Thunder
Here, standouts include Whirlwind, Discharge, Rain Dance, Weather Ball, Dragon Pulse, and Thunder. Aside from that, I tried to keep it flavorful, mainly with moves like Water Sport (Hey, geodude learns mud sport and he is IMMUNE to Electric), Whirlwind, Tailwind, and Rain Dance. I could have made Weather Ball a Heart Scale move or something, but I know in-game if I was levelling up this pokemon, it would have been sweet to get those two moves at the same time.

TM Moves:
Code:
TM02 - Dragon Claw
TM03 - Water Pulse
TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM23 - Iron Tail
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 – Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM34 - Shock Wave
TM35 - Flamethrower
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM43 - Secret Power
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM50 - Overheat
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM58 - Endure
TM59 - Dragon Pulse
TM62 - Silver Wind
TM65 - Shadow Claw
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM78 – Captivate
TM82 - Sleep Talk
TM83 - Natural Gift
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
HM04 - Strength
HM05 - Defog
HM06 - Rock Smash
You may notice the lack of Surf. However, this all ties into my TM and egg moves. Essentially, if you just want the standard Water Attack, you can use Rain Dance, which effectively cancels out Tyranitar's Sandstream boost as well should you switch into Aqua Tail or something like that. This also means that Fire Moves do half damage, so I thought it was a nice way of keeping Flamethrower and a standard Water attack separate. Overheat on the other hand, is legal with Hydro Pump (an egg move, but I will dicuss that in the egg move section).

Both Reflect and Light Screen are available, together even, but one as an Egg move (Light Screen) and one as the TM (Reflect). People are getting very concerned over this for some reason, but I find nothing to fear. What makes many screeners so great is the ability to make an opening for a pokemon to come in, and I don't see CAP8 doing that. One problem I had in my first draft of this movepool was that Yawn was fully capable of doing this. I thought to myself how to remedy this, and I solved it. With Milotic providing Light Screen as an Egg move, and Kingdra providing Yawn as an egg move, the two can't be used together, meaning that as a Screener it either ineffectively sets up another pokemon, or can only set up and safely bring a pokemon into Reflect.

Other than that, other notable TM moves include Roar, Toxic, Hidden Power, Taunt, Earthquake, Overheat (which I will discuss later), Charge Beam, Thunderwave, Rest, and Sleep Talk. I did not include Psychic or Shadow Ball as I feel that bulky fighting types such as Machamp and (after playtesting) Revenankh could fare somewhat well against CAP8.

Egg Moves: (Monster/Dragon)
Code:
Dragon Dance (Kingdra, Salamence, Charizard, Gyarados...)
Hydro Pump (Gyarados, Salamence, Kingdra, Milotic...)
Iron Head (Charizard, Garchomp)
Outrage (Gyarados, Garchomp, Charizard, Kanghaskhan...)
Thrash (Gyaraoos, Garchomp)
Ice Fang (Arbok, Gyarados)
Thunder Fang (Arbok)
Fire Fang (Garchomp, Charizard, Arbok)
Glare (Arbok)
Haze (Arbok, Milotic, Dragonite)
Overheat (Charizard)
Yawn (Kingdra)
Light Screen (Milotic)
Here, there are several note worhty moves (and an odd parent; how is Arbok in the dragon group?) Anyways, a very interesting move here is Glare (a.k.a. Stun Spore, which technically Venusaur could have given it, but that seemed like too many egg moves and I felt that Glare fit better anyways), which you all know what it does. The Fangs are there for flavor as well (though Thunder Fang is in the level up list as well) as the three heads, three elemental attacks thing seemed cool, though I know full well that the Fangs wouldn't be seeing much use, even with Dragon Dance. Light Screen is here too, in place of being a TM, as discussed above.

Speaking of Dragon Dance, we see it legal with Outrage here. ResTalk DD Outrage could very well work, or just a standard set (though from experience ResTalk DD Stab is always cool).

Hydro Pump and Overheat are legal together, as with Overheat's SpAtk drop They both go down to Base 70-75. Plus, Hydro Pump has shaky accuracy anyways (I loathe using Fire Blast because of that 85 accuracy).

Move Tutor Moves:
Code:
Draco Meteor
Air Cutter
Icy Wind
Ominous Wind
Vacuum Wave
Snore
Swift
Uproar
Aqua Tail
Iron Head
Outrage
Twister
The most noticeable here are Draco Meteor and Ominous Wind. Draco Meteor means this thing has a powerful One Turn STAB, and Ominous Wind gives it a not as powerful option against Revenankh.

Anyways, this is only preliminary for my movepool, so if anyone has any suggestions I will greatly appreciate them. I will also explain other move choice later.

EDIT: Any updates will have to wait until tomorrow; hopefully my internet doesn't screw up again!

You may notice the lack of Surf. However, this all ties into my TM and egg moves. Essentially, if you just want the standard Water Attack, you can use Rain Dance
But Rain Dance isn't even a damaging move D:. You want it to choice between Hydro Pump, Water Pulse, or Brine?

Both Reflect and Light Screen are available, together even, but one as an Egg move (Light Screen) and one as the TM (Reflect). People are getting very concerned over this for some reason, but I find nothing to fear. What makes many screeners so great is the ability to make an opening for a Pokemon to come in, and I don't see CAP8 doing that. One problem I had in my first draft of this movepool was that Yawn was fully capable of doing this. I thought to myself how to remedy this, and I solved it. With Milotic providing Light Screen as an Egg move, and Kingdra providing Yawn as an egg move, the two can't be used together, meaning that as a screener it either ineffectively sets up another Pokemon, or can only set up and safely bring a Pokemon into Reflect.
Or you could have not added Yawn into it's movepool and avoided the whole problem in the first place also I don't see Light Screen within the egg move list.

Hydro Pump has shaky accuracy anyways (I loathe using Fire Blast because of that 85 accuracy).
...So you hate Fire Blast for the accuracy and yet you allow Hydro Pump within it's movepool and that move is 5 points less in accuracy. Seem slightly like backwards logic there, but you probably have better reasons onto why the lack of Fire Blast/Surf.

@ Sc4rfCh0mp: I would take off Amnesia from the movepool. I had it on mine until I started asking around and found out a lot of people would be very opposed to seeing it there (especially when legal w/ Recover). I also think it's okay to put Dragon Claw in because it's not considered competitive (considering Cyclohm's piss poor Atk means DD or CB sets are considered gimmicky) and therefore doesn't apply to the competitive moves rule. Outrage was discussed and put in Allowed, I think, only because of its higher frequency of use over Dragon Claw. They're still in the same "gimmick" category, though, so both are Allowed if you want them to be. Oh, and a nitpick:
Agreed.

Otherwise, great stuff.
Ok, thanks! Taking Amnesia out actually gives room for Gravity to be used on this guy.

But Rain Dance isn't even a damaging move D:. You want it to choice between Hydro Pump, Water Pulse, or Brine?
I meant in conjunction with Weatherball, sorry. It was late and I was tired.

Or you could have not added Yawn into it's movepool and avoided the whole problem in the first place also I don't see Light Screen within the egg move list.
I really did want Yawn in the movepool, but I see your point. Also, thanks for pointing out Light Screen. Fixing now.

...So you hate Fire Blast for the accuracy and yet you allow Hydro Pump within it's movepool and that move is 5 points less in accuracy. Seem slightly like backwards logic there, but you probably have better reasons onto why the lack of Fire Blast/Surf.
I am definitely going to post later about that. I was tired last night so I just wanted to get it posted.

Code:
 My movepool

Heart Scale: Tri Attack
Heart Scale: Thunder Fang
Lv 1: Tackle
Lv 1: Growl
Lv 5: Gust
Lv 10: Twister
Lv 20: Rain Dance
Lv 20: Thundershock
Lv 30: Whether Ball
Lv 40: Dragon Breath
Lv 50: Dragon Dance
Lv 60: Hyper Beam
Lv 70: (Special move, if one is made)
Out of these, Tri attack, possibly Rain Dance and Weather Ball, and, to a lesser extent, Thunder Fang, Dragon Breath, and Dragon Dance are useful.

Code:
 TMs
TM 03: Water Pulse
TM 05: Roar
TM 06: Toxic
TM 07: Hail
TM 10: Hidden Power
TM 11: Sunny Day
TM 12: Taunt
TM 13: Ice Beam
TM 14: Blizzard
TM 15: Hyper Beam
TM 17: Protect
TM 18: Rain Dance
TM 20: Safeguard
TM 21: Frustration
TM 23: Iron Tail
TM 24: Thunderbolt
TM 25: Thunder
TM 27: Return
TM 30: Shadow Ball
TM 32: Double Team
TM 34: Shock Wave
TM 37: Sandstorm
TM 42: Facade
TM 43: Secret Power
TM 44: Rest
TM 45: Attract
TM 51: Roost
TM 55: Brine
TM 57: Charge Beam
TM 58: Endure
TM 59: Dragon Pulse
TM 68: Giga Impact
TM 70: Flash
TM 73: Thunder Wave
TM 78: Captivate
TM 82: Sleep Talk
TM 83: Natural Gift
TM 88: Pluck
TM 89: U-Turn
TM 90: Substatute
HM 02: Fly
HM 04: Defog
HM 06: Rock Smash
HM 07: Waterfall
A rather massive Tm movepool. Notable emisions include Earthquake and Surf, but I didn't like this thing having surf, and Earthquake... you'll see.

Code:
 Tutorable
Air Cutter
Ominous Wind
Vacuum Wave
Zen Headbut
Last Resort
Swift
Snore
Aqua Tail
Heat Wave
Iron Head
Signal Beam
Twister
Draco Meteor
Meh, a decent movepool. Notables include Zen Headbutt, Draco Meteor, Vacuum Wave, Air Cutter, and Heat wave.

Code:
 Egg moves (Dragon/Intermediate)
Haze
Earthquake
Transform (from Ditto)
Hydro Pump
Ember
Sludge
Outrage
(I'll add in who learns what later) Meh. Earthquake gets the Ninetails/energy ball situation, Hydro pump gives it a special water attack, and Transform is a gimmick. The rest won't be used much.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Stellar has a nice movepool that I could support, but my favorite is the movepool from Deck Knight et al.

DK's lack of Fire Blast and disjointed screens are good curveballs IMO. I also like the way he maneuvered the egg combos. Hyper Beam at the end of the level up list is a beautiful flavor touch. This is obviously a dragon that Lance might have in his lineup :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)