Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - May 2009

I think people are seriously underestimating the impact that Dugtrio would have in UU. For one, your typical stall team would be completely on edge with this thing around; it can take out most Chansey, Clefable, Registeel, Drapion, Nidoqueen, Omastar etc with relative ease. Even Steelix and Regirock would be vulnerable at less than ~70% health. It would beat a lot of offensive Pokemon too, like Blaziken, Espeon, Mismagius, Ambipom and various others. Unlike other trappers it has lots of speed, and enough Attack power to make good use of it.

Also, if Crobat is somehow allowed to stay in UU this time round, the introduction of Dugtrio would probably be the final nail in the coffin. Who supports who more I wonder?

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Suicune is god... how is it still under Evire? It's so hard to take out... (not using Grass Knot on my team).

Wow. Porygon2 and Umbreon are OU while Donphan and Dugtrio stew in UU... I'm not surprised with Donphan or Porygon2, though Dugtrio and Umbreon are a bit unexpected.
And now Porygon2 is the first NFE to be a OU Pokemon (which for some reason I find awesome).
Little random blurb: Umbreon and Porygon2 were OU in G/S/C days and after a R/S/E wait and now with the remakes coming out they return to OU.
Perhaps this means stall and defensive play is on rise?

| 49 | Umbreon | 22208 | 3.28 |
| 50 | Porygon2 | 21043 | 3.11 |
Amazing, Umbreon and Porygon2 have always been right behind the OU Pokes and i predict that eventually porygn2 is going to be used more than PorygonZ

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
damn hera moving to uu... thats just, sad. also looks like palkia snuck past groudon in ubers. I liked having sea and ground fighting for the top spot.
Nice as usual doug.

Thanks for the stats. Is garchomp really only on 64% of suspect teams? It seems like chomps are on every team i face on the ladder

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Since this is the first time I've ever taken more than a cursory glance at these stats, may I suggest a "Rotom-A" totalling all five Rotom forms into the list. (On Suspect, "Rotom-A" would be 14 behind Lucario.) I suppose this is just a posting of what the program ripped, though.

Would've been nice to see what Deoxys-E's Suspect numbers would've been like if he had lasted the end of the month. :[ Almost double the second-highest lead even so, sheesh.

More than half of all Suspect Skarmory are no-DEF, SpD versions? I know it helps against the largely special-based Suspects (even so it doesn't do more than eat Meteors) but isn't that what the Blissey paired with it half the time is for? :pirate: You're doing it wrong, people.

Why is Garchomp usage so ridiculously high? It's a good pokémon but sheesh... Maybe its resists and base defenses just make it easier to fit into most teams than Latios or something. *shrug* Interestingly, it's only paired with T-Tar less than 30% of the time and Hippowdon is basically nowhere to be found. Garchomp itself is also the only one that shows up on every other pokémon's teammate list (and is 1-2 on all of them except Forretress). Caelum makes a good point regarding Suspect usage, though.

In other news, I'm not sure why people bitch about Electivire in OU. Flygon, Weavile, Aerodactyl are all otherwise very mediocre pokémon themselves. (Donphan too, which people finally seem to realize.) Awesome to see P2 usage almost as high as P-Z. Dugtrio would be a terror in UU, keeping in mind that its relative strength would go way up in the lower-defense environment of UU.

Qwilfish usage in Standard seems to have risen from 127 to 115, I see. Much of it's my doing, of course. Not enough, though- I plan to get the forgotten fearsome fish o' fantasticness into OU! See, when enough of my opponents realize how powerful Qwilfish can be, they'll be inspired to use one on their own OU teams. Which will lead to THEIR opponents being inspired and so forth. This is why I use a team full of UU or lower Pokemon in OU. And I actually do win.

And Scizor's got the top spot. I wouldn't be surprised if that starts to drop in the next month, seeing as I have been able to defeat every single Scizor I was faced with using an Arbok. Intimidate lets it survive Bullet Punch. Then it can OHKO with Fire Fang. This is the sort of thing that'll get Arbok into OU.

First month it has dawned on me how much work this must be... so Thhhhhaaaannnk youuuuuuuuuu

On a Statistics note, Heracross is a great pokemon that I think if used poorly, and could be up there with Machamp if it was given enough of a chance. And I think Dugtrio will always be OU, it just has too much potential to trap all those grounded UUs.

Qwilfish usage in Standard seems to have risen from 127 to 115, I see. Much of it's my doing, of course. Not enough, though- I plan to get the forgotten fearsome fish o' fantasticness into OU! See, when enough of my opponents realize how powerful Qwilfish can be, they'll be inspired to use one on their own OU teams.
How exactly do you USE qwilfish?
Ive faced them on rain teams and they explode/destiny bond, but does it actually do anything otherwise?

How exactly do you USE qwilfish?
Ive faced them on rain teams and they explode/destiny bond, but does it actually do anything otherwise?
I take it you've never battled me before. Qwilfish are perfectly capable of sweeping, with a base 95 attack stat, a base 85 speed stat, Aqua Tail/Waterfall, Poison Jab, Explosion, and Swords Dance. I've used such a Qwilfish on my Shoddy team the past two months to great effect. Holding a Muscle Band.

Wow. Porygon2 and Umbreon are OU while Donphan and Dugtrio stew in UU... I'm not surprised with Donphan or Porygon2, though Dugtrio and Umbreon are a bit unexpected.
And now Porygon2 is the first NFE to be a OU Pokemon (which for some reason I find awesome).
Little random blurb: Umbreon and Porygon2 were OU in G/S/C days and after a R/S/E wait and now with the remakes coming out they return to OU.
Perhaps this means stall and defensive play is on rise?
No just idiocracy(when referring to Umbreon). Sure, it is a good pokemon in its own right, but in this metagame allowing a pokemon to switch in on weak, resisted attacks is a very bad thing, especially when those who resist are three of the most deadly sweepers(Scizor, Lucario, Heatran, to name a few). Atleast with Scizor and Tyranitar you just took out a huge threat with Pursuit(Gengar, Latias, etc.) but Umbreon just sits there Paybacking...

Bye bye yachechomp, the big reason why garchomp is uber in the first place. Choice Scarf chomp for the win, that will be the reason it is sent to uber this round. Also how come life orb doesn't show up as an item, it's weird as i've had success with it in the ladder to an extent.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
More than half of all Suspect Skarmory are no-DEF, SpD versions? I know it helps against the largely special-based Suspects (even so it doesn't do more than eat Meteors) but isn't that what the Blissey paired with it half the time is for? :pirate: You're doing it wrong, people.
The sp.def on skarmory is to make it much, much easier to set up spikes and then later proceed to shuffle. I don't get why making it easier to set up is "doing it wrong." If anything it's doing it right. Sure you lose your ability to counter a few threats here and there, but in Suspect, at least, you have much more ease setting up spikes, which is pretty huge.

OU Leads:
24 | Machamp | 8297 | 1.22 |

Wow, people really underrate Machamp as a lead, I thought he would be around top 15 by now.

The sp.def on skarmory is to make it much, much easier to set up spikes and then later proceed to shuffle. I don't get why making it easier to set up is "doing it wrong." If anything it's doing it right. Sure you lose your ability to counter a few threats here and there, but in Suspect, at least, you have much more ease setting up spikes, which is pretty huge.
Not to mention in Suspect you have two natural checks to Garchomp in Latios and Latias, who can outspeed and OHKO SD variants, so the defense isn't as necessary for taking Fire Fangs. Being able to take Seed Flares and Air Slashes from Shaymin-S, Draco Meteors and Surfs from Lati@s, is incredibly useful, considering Lucario isn't quite as common it seems due to the prevalence of Garchomp.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I''ll update this post with something meaningful later, but I am very pleased with the Lugia increase. It makes Wobbuffet's job of setting up much easier for me >:D

Some things I noted:

-Dugtrio now has UU usage, and for Donphan it's the second month in a row. Dugtrio would maybe be banned, but I think Donphan would fit into UU well.
-Blissey out of the top 10 since...never?
-Heracross in UU would be cool, but i think it'll linger in the 40's forever like PorygonZ and Alakazam.
-Both LN's and Heysup's teams have had big impacts on Moltres(esp. as a lead), Cloyster (same as 'Tres), and Quagsire.
-Highest rise in (official) UU (as in 1-53ish, didn't forget you Quagsire!)) is Omastar, +26! More stall usage perhaps? Cloyster is right behind with +25. Biggest drop was Nidoking (idk why...).
-Palkia is a well desereved #2, its really a monstrous sweeper
-Why is Umbreon so (relatively) high?

Thanks Doug

^I think Heracross would be too powerful in UU, killing Slowbro / Registeel / Shaymin / etc. However, It would still be cool to use a pure SD set with Heracross in UU :D

UU:
Code:
|   40 | Cloyster   |   3052 |    4.45 |
UU Lead:
Code:
|   10 | Cloyster   |   1751 |
Mission accomplished!

I'm glad people are trying Cloyster out, it's awesome.

On another note, it's no surprise Crobat is #1, but I thought it would be by a larger margin.

Also, people having to deal with 2 popular Blaziken spreads is going to make Blaziken even more difficult to counter in UU (the old one is still popular, and the new one is on the rise), so that should be interesting.

If Dugtrio / Donphan make it into UU, that would definitely shake up the metagame (Earthquake pun intended) quite a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)