Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
yeah i definitely dont swap if i dont think i'm making a better team out of it, it doesn't help like it did in emerald so you should stop doing that probably!

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I've finally gotten up to the Frontier and had the time to take a shot at some of it. I haven't traded any Pokémon over from Diamond yet, so I thought I'd try and tackle the Battle Factory first (especially since I still hate it from Emerald). I honestly can't remember most of my matches, but I'm sure I had Froslass, Skuntank, and Garchomp on my first set of seven which was a breeze. Anyway, I've done the first 21 battles with 11 switches - first time as well, which I'm very pleased about.

Video no.: 45-27179-32311

This is a video of a match I had, I think it was battle 13, and I should've lost because I made a few stupid moves and got really lucky with the AI fucking up incredibly badly. I knew my opponent would lead with Infernape due to the message before the game, so I switched something out (I forget what, might've been Blaziken) for the Gardevoir I faced in the previous game.

Infernape almost OHKOes Gardevoir with U-turn right away, and in comes Lapras which is hit by Psychic and I get a Special Defence lower. I Psychic again but due to Leftovers I just miss out on the KO, Lapras then Curses. At first I think great, but then I remember that this Lapras has Ice Shard and I'm on 10HP. Luckily for me, it doesn't use Ice Shard and I KO Lapras with a third Psychic. Infernape comes back in and I don't have a safe switch, although predicting in the Battle Factory seems a little useless most of the time, and Gardevoir was nearly dead so I just left it in. Infernape uses Fire Punch for the KO and I promptly go to Jolteon without thinking. I then realize that this Infernape is Jolly and my Jolteon is Docile with Atk/SpA (I don't know if this is just a differation between US and EUR versions or the fact that it could be any neutral nature, as Jump's list says Hardy, I had the same moves though). So I get outsped and faint to Close Combat. I'm thinking this is game over unless I get really lucky, or get a critical hit and KO thanks to the SpD lower from CC. For some reason (don't ask me why) I play terribly here. The obvious move for me would be Ominous Wind as it's my strongest option, but for some reason I use Ice Beam (I think I just completely forgot what my other attack was) and luckily Infernape uses Close Combat. Then next turn, my friend nudges me and I hit Confuse Ray, at this point I think "oh shit". But Infernape uses Fake Out, so Infernape is then confused. It doesn't hurt itself in confusion, but it does use Fake Out again for some reason, and I KO with another Ice Beam (again forgetting about Ominous Wind). In comes Slowking (thank God) and I hit it with Onminous Wind once I realize I have it (lol) and get a critical hit. It Trick Rooms, then Brines, and I KO with another Ominous Wind for my luckiest victory to date.

I remember that in the last set of seven I've done (15-21) I used:

751 | Togekiss | Modest | Wise Glasses | Air Slash | Heat Wave | Signal Beam | Magical Leaf | SpA/Spe
784 | Hariyama | Adamant | Scope Lens | Cross Chop | Earthquake | Stone Edge | Poison Jab | HP/Atk
653 | Staraptor | Adamant | Muscle Band | Brave Bird | Return | Steel Wing | Pursuit | Atk/Spe

I also can't remember switching throughout the whole set, though IIRC I swapped Togekiss for something to face the Frontier Brain.

Other Pokémon I've used on seperate runs were Torterra (Curse), Tyranitar (Curse), Garchomp (Sandstorm/Double Team), Blaziken (Sunny Day), Skuntank, Jolteon, Froslass, Infernape and some others that I forget..

I'll start noting down what happens and what I use from now on - but for now I'm at 21 in Open Level with 11 switches/trades.

For me, I just trade very little in the first 14 or so almost all the time, because once I get ONE good pokemon (like a Garchomp, or some good toxi-stalling pokemon, or starmie or something with good coverage), I just nearly always KO the whole opponent's team using that as a lead. So then I just trade until I get that, and sometimes that means no trades at all.

For 15 onwards though, I try to get those type resistance combos... usually it's dragon + steel + electric/ground/water. If the dragon sucks or if there weren't any, then I usually go for water types (the good ones, obviously), for some water + ground + grass resist combo. But yah, regardless of what the research person tells me, I'd most likely not swap once I get some sort of good resistance combo.

EDIT: lol, I was playing level 50 Factory just now. I got up to Thornton (21, not 49, obviously) with 7 trades, with:
253 | Wartortle | Serious | Shell Bell | Surf | Ice Beam | Brick Break | Fake Out | HP/SpA
324 | Sharpedo | Adamant | Wacan Berry | Crunch | Waterfall | Ice Fang | Swagger | Atk/Spe
315 | Hitmonchan | Adamant | King's Rock | Sky Uppercut | Mega Punch | Bullet Punch | Counter | Atk/SpD/Spe

... and then he had:
392 | Froslass | Timid | Cheri Berry | Ice Beam | Ominous Wind | Confuse Ray | Attract | SpA/Spe
One of the Giga Drain Abomasnows
388 | Shiftry | Jolly | Persim Berry | Seed Bomb | Faint Attack | X-Scissor | Fake Out | Atk/Spe

Wartortle takes 30% from Ominous Wind and then Surfs for >50% damage. Thornton then withdrew Froslass and switch in Abomasnow. Abomasnow is faster and KOs Wartortle with Giga Drain. My Hitmonchan came in and OHKOs Abomasnow with Sky Uppercut. Froslass came back in. Bullet Punch finishes that one off. Then I make the mistake of not Bullet Punching Shiftry... Shiftry KOs with Fake Out and then Seed Bomb. Sharpedo comes in and Ice Fang leaves Shiftry in red. Shiftry KOs Sharpedo with X-Scissor and then also faints from rough skin. Of course I lose still. Yeah, I dunno why I didn't Bullet Punch. :(

Weird, is my luck today crazy or something? Just beat Thorntorn 2, and on my second run furthermore.

My Pokemon were
727 | Espeon | Modest | Lum Berry | Psychic | Shadow Ball | Hyper Beam | Grass Knot | SpA/Spe

918 | Latias | Adamant | Expert Belt | Dragon Claw | Zen Headbutt | Earthquake | Aerial Ace | Atk/Spe

877 | Rhyperior | Adamant | Choice Band | Rock Wrecker | Earthquake | Hammer Arm | Megahorn | HP/Atk

I took Espy after battle 2, from
730 | Glaceon | Modest | Focus Sash | Blizzard | Hyper Beam | Hail | Mirror Coat | Def/SpA

So anyway, my strategy was really simple. As long as each Pokemon could kill one other, it has done it's job. (Latias did it very well)

So Thorntorn started with Machamp, i didn't even find out which one it was as a Psychic took it out. He sends out a Meganium, which i Psychic again for 45%, roughly, while it uses Light Screen.

762 | Meganium | Modest | Lax Incense | Frenzy Plant | AncientPower | Hyper Beam | Light Screen | HP/SpA

I look at the moves, and realize that both Rhype and Latias would take heavy damage from it. Besides, Psychic does 45% anyway, so i use it again, to see it do 22% (oops Light Screen) while it Hyper Beams. I don't use damage calculators, so it surprised me that Hyper Beam did not KO , doing merely 140 out of my 250 hp. I psychic, he recharges, I psychic, and he dies.

Slowbro appears. Since i had both Grass Knot and Shadow Ball, i switch to Rhyperior, who i reasoned would die in 1 hit (Lightning Rod), so that it would waste the Light Screen turns. Slowbro Ice Beams it for 95%.

805 | Slowbro | Quiet | Leftovers | Psychic | Surf | Ice Beam | Trick Room | HP/SpA

So i just clicked Megahorn, and to my surprise, it went first, doing 100% (CB). So yeah, Thorntorn 2 defeated without my third Pokemon even showing...

Sleeping now, too tired to concentrate. Will continue this tomorrow.

-----------------------

Reached Thorntorn 1 in Level 50. I had

288 | Sneasel | Jolly | King's Rock | Ice Punch | Faint Attack | Crush Claw | Spite | Atk/Spe

325 | Camerupt | Modest | Quick Claw | Earth Power | Eruption | AncientPower | Sandstorm | HP/SpA

198 | Lunatone | Modest | Sitrus Berry | AncientPower | Confusion | Cosmic Power | Reflect | SpA/SpD

Quite a good set up for Level 50, or so i thought... Sneasel had been beating everything almost 1 on 3, so i didn't see a need to change it. Camerupt was a new addition, took it over Glaceon (Big mistake)

Thorntorn starts with a Skuntank. The safe switch would of course be to Camerupt, but i decided to test waters by Ice Punching it. It responds with a Poison Jab, killing Sneasel. Oops.

So it was either

383 | Skuntank | Adamant | Razor Claw | Sucker Punch | Poison Jab | Slash | Screech | HP/Atk
or
791 | Skuntank | Jolly | Muscle Band | Poison Jab | Night Slash | Crunch | Explosion | Atk/Spe

It didn't matter, because Camerupt came out, and KOed with Earth Power.

Muk came out, it did some damage before my Camerupt OHKOed it with Earth Power or something, my memory was hazy.

Mismagius came out, my first thought was "o shit". Earth Power couldn't touch it, Eruption sucks at low hp, but since i had half, i decided to use it anyway. It used Shadow Ball, which didn't tell me much about which Magius it was, taking my HP down to about 1-5%. My eruption does about 2-5%. It kills with yet another Shadow Ball...

And i had a Lunatone left, which dies to another Shadow Ball.

I think we need to trade like mad before reaching Thorntorn 1, or else his fully evolved pokes will kill your NFEs.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am getting more and more pissed each new day I try the ******* factory...I mean I just lost at #17 (open level) to TWO FREAKING FISSURES IN A ROW...I mean come on...are you serious? whiscash go freaking die in a hole

I am not even talking about the CH sharpedo ice fang against my magneton at #14 (level 50) because the CH rate is around 50% in my game

Yeah, Factory is just so frustrating. After not having much luck with level 50 and open level single yesterday, I tried some double open level factory, and... yah, it's still just as frustrating. So, yeah, I'm not going to play Factory for a while.

Jumpman16

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
yep, some of the posts on the past two pages may better serve to underline why i typed 3700 words detailing how i got to 49 wins than anything else i may have said

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My first opponent will have a Pokémon with Surf as their first Pokémon, and this is my set of Pokémon to choose from:

806 | Weezing | Modest | Quick Claw | Sludge Bomb | Flamethrower | Shadow Ball | Destiny Bond | Def/SpA
874 | Lapras | Modest | Brightpowder | Surf | Ice Beam | Psychic | Thunderbolt | HP/SpA
772 | Marowak | Adamant | Thick Club | Earthquake | Stone Edge | Iron Head | ThunderPunch | Atk/Def
812 | Altaria | Modest | White Herb | Draco Meteor | Air Cutter | Flamethrower | Ice Beam | SpA/Spe
694 | Pinsir | Adamant | Lax Incense | X-Scissor | Superpower | Stone Edge | Giga Impact | Atk/Def
815 | Nidoqueen | Adamant | Razor Claw | Earthquake | Poison Jab | Superpower | Crunch | HP/Atk

I go for Altaria first - Lapras is Shell Armor but I still pick that as well, along with Marowak. It was a tough choice since all of those are decent.

Battle 22

Gastrodon is sent out, it has Surf so it must be this one:

790 | Gastrodon | Modest | Wise Glasses | Surf | Earth Power | Ice Beam | Sludge Bomb | HP/SpA

I hit it with Draco Meteor and my White Herb restores my SpA. Gastrodon Surfs. I Draco Meteor again and it hits, Gastrodon is KOed. Next in is Probopass, I debate going to Marowak, and decide I'll be best to find out the set first as one can carry Ice Punch. I use Flamethrower to hope for a burn and get hit by Flash Cannon - so this is the Probopass I'm facing:

869 | Probopass | Modest | Life Orb | Flash Cannon | Power Gem | Earth Power | Thunderbolt | SpA/SpD

Flash Cannon OHKOed me and I did minor damage to Probopass. I decide to go to Marowak and use Earthquake, which OHKOes Probopass. In comes Milotic, which could be a problem. It uses Dragon Pulse on me, and does about 55% damage, while my Earthquake must do about 95% damage back to Milotic.

884 | Milotic | Modest | Lum Berry | Surf | Ice Beam | Dragon Pulse | Recover | HP/SpA

I fail to see why Milotic would use Dragon Pulse, but ah well. Milotic then uses Recover, and I Earthquake again for the KO (and get a useless critical hit) and a 2-0 victory.

I'm told that in my next battle, my first opponent will again, have a Pokémon with Surf. I don't really see a reason to switch out any of my Pokémon, so I stick with what I have.

Battle 23

Lanturn is sent out, it has Surf so it could be either of these:

370 | Lanturn | Modest | Rindo Berry | Surf | Discharge | Thunder Wave | Aqua Ring | HP/SpA
778 | Lanturn | Modest | Expert Belt | Surf | Thunderbolt | Ice Beam | Signal Beam | HP/SpA

I just use Draco Meteor first of all for big damage, it does over 50%, while Lanturn uses Thunderbolt, telling me that it's the 778 Lanturn. I Draco Meteor again for the KO.

Froslass is switched in and uses Blizzard, I didn't want to risk a switch at all. Altaria faints.

800 | Froslass | Modest | Lax Incense | Blizzard | Shadow Ball | Psychic | Hail | SpA/Spe

This Froslass could well beat me, I just have to hope Lapras gets the better of it now. Froslass uses Hail which is okay, despite me having a good chance of missing now. Surf almost OHKOes Froslass, so I just need another hit now. Froslass uses Blizzard, which doesn't do that much, and I KO with Surf.

Nidoking is my opponent's final Pokémon, so I feel quite confident now. It uses Poison Jab:

408 | Nidoking | Impish | Focus Band | Earthquake | Poison Jab | Double Kick | Counter | HP/Atk
816 | Nidoking | Adamant | Muscle Band | Earthquake | Poison Jab | Megahorn | Outrage | Atk/Spe

I use Surf and OHKO for another win.

I'm told that my next opponent will have Air Slash on their first Pokémon, and I again don't see a great reason for me to switch anything out. So I stick with this team for now:

Battle 24

Crobat is sent out:

603 | Crobat | Hardy | Razor Fang | Air Slash | Zen Headbutt | Bite | Twister | Atk/Spe
739 | Crobat | Modest | King's Rock | Air Slash | Sludge Bomb | Heat Wave | Dark Pulse | SpA/Spe

I decide to just Draco Meteor first. It uses Sludge Bomb and does decent damage, so it's 739. Draco Meteor does a little over 80%, Crobat uses Heat Wave, and I use Ice Beam for the KO. Rhyperior comes in next and I Draco Metoer against it. I do over 90% and I miss whichever move Rhyperior used because I was just expecting to be KOed and didn't look. So I Ice Beam and KO Rhyperior.

I Draco Meteor the Ampharos switch-in, and it uses Thunder Wave on me:

692 | Ampharos | Modest | Chesto Berry | Charge Beam | Hyper Beam | Thunder Wave | Rest | HP/SpA

Ampharos uses Charge Beam on me, and I get fully paralysed. It uses Charge Beam again, and KOes me, while gaining a SpA increase. Now I'm a little bit worried, but still go to Marowak. Ampharos uses Rest, and I KO with Earthquake for the win.

I'm told that my next opponent will have a Pokémon with Hydro Pump, so I again see little reason to switch anything out.. nothing from the last battle really appealed to be so I stick with what I have yet again:

Battle 25

And... it's Tentacruel. Shit.

850 | Tentacruel | Timid | Scope Lens | Hydro Pump | Sludge Bomb | Ice Beam | Wring Out | SpA/Spe

Now this could be really problematic, it'll be difficult to KO with what I have. It uses Sludge Bomb first, so at least I get a Draco Meteor on it, despite Tentacruel getting a critical hit and poisoning me. I do over half damage so that's not too bad. But then, Tentacruel uses Wring Out, so I KO with Draco Metoer as it doesn't do enough damage to KO me, but the poison then KOes me. Sadly, I don't get to see what my opponent switches in first. I go for Lapras since I feel safer with it.

Kangaskhan is sent in next. It uses Crunch on Lapras, but no Defence lower luckily. I use Surf, but it looks like I may not be able to 2HKO. Kanga uses Giga Impact and knocks me right down to 10 HP, but this means I get to Surf two more times and manage to KO Kangaskhan.

807 | Kangaskhan | Adamant | Muscle Band | Giga Impact | Earthquake | Crunch | Outrage | HP/Atk

So, Kanga is down but I'm almost down too. Arcanine is next, so I have a decent chance depending on the set.

480 | Arcanine | Jolly | Lum Berry | Fire Fang | ExtremeSpeed | Crunch | Will-O-Wisp | Atk/Spe
888 | Arcanine | Adamant | Focus Band | Flare Blitz | ExtremeSpeed | Crunch | Thunder Fang | Atk/Spe

Arcanine uses Crunch, so I faint, but I know it's a full physical set which favours Marowak, unless I get hit by Will-O-Wisp (but I should still win). Arcanine uses Flare Blitz, so it lacks WoW. It does a lot of damage, knocking me into lower yellow HP, but I Earthquake and KO for a narrow victory.

I'm told that my next opponent will have a Pokémon with Seed Bomb. I contemplate taking Arcanine, but this really is a lottery with the likes of Snorlax potentially having Seed BOmb. I decide to stick with Altaria and hope I can manage to KO something like Cradily if it happens to be that. It if was the Lum Berry Arcanine, I may well have switched out.

Battle 26

It's Shiftry, so that's not the worst match up by any means.

388 | Shiftry | Jolly | Persim Berry | Seed Bomb | Faint Attack | X-Scissor | Fake Out | Atk/Spe
796 | Shiftry | Adamant | Cheri Berry | Seed Bomb | Sucker Punch | Aerial Ace | Explosion | HP/Atk

I just hope it doesn't use Explosion right away. It uses Sucker Punch, so it can explode. I use Flamethrower, and it doesn't do as much as I hoped. Thankfully, I'm quicker and KO with Flamethrower next turn. Froslass comes in next.. I hate this thing. It uses Psychic on me, but doesn't KO and I use Draco Meteor, which does KO Altaria.

800 | Froslass | Modest | Lax Incense | Blizzard | Shadow Ball | Psychic | Hail | SpA/Spe

Next in is Garchomp, which uses Outrage and KOes me.

893 | Garchomp | Adamant | Persim Berry | Outrage | Earthquake | Crunch | Fire Fang | Atk/Spe

Now, I go to Lapras to hopefully KO with Ice Beam. Outrage does hefty damage, but Ice Beam OHKOes and I win (I get another useless critical hit).

My next opponent will have a Pokémon with Dynamic Punch. I'm not sure whether to switch anything, as Froslass could be useful. It could be a Breloom, which has Stone Edge as well. Electivire has Rock Slide, Hariyama has Fire Punch and Ice Punch, Machamp has Ice Punch and Stone Edge, Poliwrath wouldn't be too much trouble, and Toxicroak has Ice Punch as well. I decide to just stick with what I have and hope Altaria can do it alone.

Battle 27

The DynamicPuncher is Machamp.

707 | Machamp | Adamant | Quick Claw | DynamicPunch | Earthquake | Stone Edge | Ice Punch | HP/Atk

I hope Quick Claw plays no part, but obviously it activates turn one and Stone Edge OHKOes Altaria, this isn't looking good.. I go to Marowak. Machamp uses DynamicPunch and confuses Marowak, which hurts itself in confusion. Machamp then uses Earthquake and that's good game for Marowak. I go to Lapras and use Psychic, but I'm not expecting much now. Machamp uses Stone Edge, which does a lot of damage. I Psychic again for the KO, perhaps I should've gone to Lapras first. Meganium comes in next. It uses Light Screen which is bad news for me, I Ice Beam, and Meganium is FROZEN! It stays frozen for another turn and I get an Ice Beam in. Meganium is still frozen and I Ice Beam for the KO.

626 | Meganium | Bold | Light Clay | Leaf Storm | Wring Out | Light Screen | Reflect | HP/SpA

It sucks that Light Screen will last so long... in comes Feraligatr so I expect to lose now. It uses Ice Beam on me, while I go for Thunderbolt.

628 | Feraligatr | Modest | Wise Glasses | Hydro Cannon | Ice Beam | Focus Blast | AncientPower | Def/SpA

I need it to not use Focus Blast or AcientPower, or I lose. It goes for Hydro Cannon next, which I was semi-hoping for, but it does enough to KO me (100~damage) and I lose.. Lame.

That sucks, I lose at battle 27.

Meh, lost at 42 in Battle Factory, Open Level

1. I was pretty lucky throughout this streak ( like Poliwrath surviving with 3 HP )
  2. Beasts I used were: EQ/Superpower/Gunk Shot/Counter ( I think ) Donphan, Return/Gyro Ball/Curse/Rest Lickilicky and Toxic/DT/Moonlight/Psychic Cresselia.. they often soloed teams on their own
So.. I cant remember exactly how I lost, I remember that I had Probopass / Latias and Infernape.. Infernape was matched against Mismagius who outsped and used Shadow Ball ( crit ofc ), I then sent in Probopass somehow, used Stone Edge while Mismagius used Energy Ball for minor damage, I was going to kill it with Stone Edge but it used Destiny Bond, taking both of us. Latias was matched against sth with Crunch ( I dont remember correctly ) and lost due to not being able to kill that pokemon ( I think it was Luxray )..

meh.. I had so much fun =(

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am the worst factory challenger ever I mean...

lv.50 thorton battle (21)

my team: CB furret, gorebyss, dragonair

awaiting, golem with quake...there goes my furret sweep (killed like 90% of the pokes in 15-20, you´re such a cheater thorton)

decided to swap (didn´t from the first choice) dragonair out for the giga drain/air slash tropius

thorton says 28%

furret vs golem
furret siwtches out, tropius, sucker punch failed
giga drain, OHKO
3-2
tropius vs yanmega
yanmega double team, air slash hits, coba berry (what a cheater), 50%, no speed boost
yanmega air cutter, air slash missed
yanmega air cutter KO
2-2
furret vs yanmega
yanmega signal beam 35/149 left, frustration missed (go **** yourself thorton)
yanmega signal beam KO
1-2
gorebyss vs yanmega (yanmega faster even if I use rain dance)
yanmega signal beam 35/119 left, ice beam hits, KO, shell bell takes me to I don´t know 43 or something
1-1
gorebyss vs ......dugtrio
dugtrio uses quake, lost again

I am 2:5 or 2:6 against that (BAN ME PLEASE) :/

All of his pokemon are fully evolved, and with the very real and rediculous hax rate, level 50 looks really hard. I think i got 16? At least at 100, you get "similar" pokemon to Thorton

Platinum Battle Tower Single Battle - Streak 105*

Hi All

Thought I'd share the team I used to finally get my 100 wins on the Platinum Battle Tower. I used a hybrid of Jumpman16's new Latias and a couple of Pokemon based on Peterko's best streak team.

Latias @Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252HP/16Def/240Spe
Nature: Timid
~ Thunderwave
~ Charm
~ Flash
~ Roar

This is the exactly the same Latias as used by Jumpman (sorry!) but the mix of moves complements my next two pokemon very well allowing them to generally sweep. Not much skill here, charm physical attackers, flash the special ones and roar away the ones I can't charm or flash (ie. metagross and regi-xx).

Skarmory @ BrightPowder
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP/156 Def/100 SDef/6 Spe
Nature: Impish
~ Aerial Ace
~ Curse
~ Substitute
~ Roost

Peterko briefly mentioned this set in one of his posts so I thought I'd give it a go and Toxic stall isn't really my thing. Sturdy is great for OHKO users which makes life a bit less stressful. Aerial Ace doesn't miss so double team not an issue but flying not the best coverage so can sometimes be a war to win against steel types. Substitute helps to sweep but poor attack power sometimes means I have to switch to Snorlax or back to Latias to setup again as fire and electric special attacks are not fun. But these weaknesses are covered by....

Snorlax @Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252HP/6Att/252SDef
Nature: Careful
~ Return
~ Iron Head
~ Curse
~ Rest

Curse-lax is so good! Iron Head is in to help against rock types who resist Aerial Ace and levitating ghosts. The Ice and Fire resist are great covering Latias and Skarmory weaknesses. With a couple of charms even fighting attacks can be easily resisted, although critical hits are always a threat.

The usual plan was to charm or T.Wave/Flash the first pokemon (or roar if stat changes didn't affect it!) and then switch to either Skarmory (if a OHKO pokemon or fighting type) or preferrably Snorlax. Then either Roost/Sub/Curse or Rest/Curse up to 6 curses and sweep.

I haven't really had much problem except for a couple of critical hit haxs and I got messed around badly by the Mean Look/Destiny Bond Jynx who took out Snorlax leaving Skarmory and a 1hp Latias to take on an Espeon (Jynx bailed at a 1 count). Skarmory was hanging on against psychic until it got an SD drop. I switched to Latias who fainted in the cause. Skarmory came back in but managed to run Espeon out of Psychics and curse/roost/sub up to the max and take out espeon. Jynx came back in and Destiny bonded, I attack and it faints (3), in comes Hypno, it attacks I survive and Aerial Ace for the win.....whew!

Have stopped streak for a bit to concentrate on Hall and Factory as still missing the gold print for those. I hope Jumpman and Peterko aren't too unhappy at me stealing their ideas but immitation is the strongest form of flattery!!!

Johncgi

Platinum Battle Tower Team

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums but have been reading around for a few days and it has been interesting to read.

I haven't played pokemon since Emerald, which was a few years back. So I guess in a way I'm new to the game again and started platinum a few weeks ago. Eventually got to the Battle Tower and got a team together, which so far has gotten me 100+ wins (although I did have to try a few times to get there). Since I don't want to do everything again because of some silly thing I overlooked, I thought I'll post my team here and see if there are any things that I should be warned of in future battles (haven't lost current win streak yet, am at 103).

Ok so here's what I'm currently using:

Latias
Modest @ Choice Specs
EVs: Sp. Att + Speed

- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Nice special stats and a decent number of resistances. I'll try to land some hits on pokemon that I think I can take down without them hurting Latias too much. Alternatively, if it is an obvious wall like Blissey, Shuckle or Regice a nice Trick will usually work well because then I can set up Suicune. If neither of these seem good with a super effective hit looming, I'll switch out since both of the other pokemon also have decent defensive stats.

Suicune
Bold @ Chesto Berry
EVs: HP + Def

- Toxic
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Rest

Although I dont have to use Suicune in all battles, he is the backbone of the team with good defensive stats. The general strategy is to Calm Mind while Toxic takes its toll after which the opponent can't do much. The nice Chesto-rest is more useful than Leftovers as it is usually vital in setting him up against good special sweepers.

Heatran
Modest @ Life Orb
EVs: Sp. Att + Speed

- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Explosion

All out mean machine! I tend to switch the lead between Heatran and Latias in consecutive challenges because by some "freak" chance I tend to attract opponents who lead something with super effective hits against my previous lead pokemon. Anyway, Heatran has pretty good special offense as well as a few resistances making him decent to switch in to as well. Usually takes out 1-2 opponents unless they can land super effective hits. Flamethrower and Earth Power cover most types while Taunt is useful against Tanks and Stallers. Explosion is obviously for when I'm about to die or I meet a foe with good special defences that may take out my whole team if I don't return the favour first.

In conclusion, I think this teams covers most weaknesses but then again I'm probably in for a surprise. I tried to get a team with lots of resistances so I can switch around to take advantage of the fact that the opponents don't. Hopefully you guys can come up with some constructive criticism, thanks in advance!

calisto,welcome to smogon and My one suggestion would be choice specs/scarf>choice band cause It does nothing for latias,nither does it boost your speed nor does it boost your sp.att!
while specs/scarf would help lati as well as lock the foe into the move.
another thing would be change Ice beam to surf.
With draco meteor ice beams coverage becomes redundant and you already hit grass types with heatran!

Thanks for the suggestions Darkseeker4. I immediately changed to Choice Specs, I hand't realised this item changed from Emerald lol! I know the Ice Beam wasn't great and I did have Surf in there before but neither is that good to have. I changed Ice Beam to Psychic for now because I expected to run into some pesky fighting type opponents after having had Heatran on lead last round (am at 112 now and still going). Definitely still open to suggestions for Heatran's last slot (Taunt) and Latias' alternative to Ice Beam/Surf/Psychic

Here is my record for the Single Battle Castle :
175 Wins with 715 CP (streak is still going!)
Heres the team:

@Choice Specs
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252Satk / 252Speed / 6Hp
~ Thunderbolt
~ Psychic
~ Ice Beam
~ Surf

@Levtovers
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252Atk / 252Speed / 6Hp
~ Swords Dance
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower
~ X-Scizor

@Yache Berry
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252Atk / 252Speed / 6Hp
~ Earthquake
~ Outrage
~ Aerial Ace
~ Fire Fang

This is such an amazing team. It seems like the streak will never end, because it doesn´t even lose against hax lol. I never had a problem against any team xD.

Here the picture for the ones who maybe doesn´t trust me (it´s german, because I have the german version lol):

I just hit 88 and lost at 89 to a 4 regis team with a retarded yet effective explosion team.In the doubles battle tower.

Latias @ Leftovers
timid
252 hp/252 spe/6 def
~Light screen
~Reflect
~Protect
~Dragon pulse

Metagross @ Occa berry
Adamant
236 hp/252 att/12 def/8 spe
~Ice punch
~Earthquake
~Bullet punch
~Explosion

Honchkrow @ Expert Belt
Naiive,superluck
220 att/44 sp.att/244 spe
~Protect
~Heat wave
~Super power
~Sucker Punch

Azelf @ Life Orb
Naive
252 sp.att/252 spe/6 att
~Explosion
~Shadow ball
~T-bolt
~Flamethrower

Any suggestion's?

Ill take a break from the tower but I will definatly comeback to this team to break 100.Any one know how to improve this team?
Oh and no Meter mash on meta cause I hate the accuracy.
And does anyone know wether Life orb kicks in when a poke explods?

Jumpman16

Are the Ivs of the Battle Frontier pokemon just sets of 0, 21, or 31?
probably

Here is my record for the Single Battle Castle
i like this team, good work. diana and lordcaedus already realized that scizor over tyranitar is probably better because not you have a grass and bug resistance and you're taking that to the next level. i would probably have been using a similar team from the beginning if i werent tied to my SSS team. i know what you mean when you say you dont feel like you're going to lose, that's how awesome all of those pokes are.

however you're still prone to hax just like every straight up team is, QC rhydon can still nab starmie just like it got mine last year at battle 204 and then EQ scizor twice (one with QC) or just HD it to put you in trouble, and actually more troublesome this time around is the fact that both rhydon and rhyperior have focus sash. this:

741 | Rhyperior | Impish | Focus Sash | Horn Drill | Avalanche | Payback | Counter | HP/Def

is kind of guarateed to beat you if starmie is dead or locked into psychic/thunderbolt, even +2 bullet punch only does 44-53% to solid rock and EQ only does 34-40%. and the expert belt one too:

605 | Rhyperior | Adamant | Expert Belt | Fire Punch | ThunderPunch | Ice Punch | Aqua Tail | Atk/Def

unboosted bullet punch only does 30-36% (and you wont have time to boost if and eq only does 46-55%, obviously if starmie is still alive you can switch it into IP but if it's dead you're in pretty big trouble and it wont be because of hax. gl though

Thank you for the tips ;D
Yeah I just got a Rhyperior on like 140 and it got QC 3 times in a row LOL.. But I think I easily beat it.

Now I´m trying the same team in the Battle Tower, it´s nice there, too :D

On my way through the Battle Factory, trying to race Havak to the Gold Symbol I had to face Thorton.

Battle 21 vs. Thorton
Garchomp / Salamence / Snorlax vs. Entei / Slowbro / Regice

Before the match I get told I'm facing Fire Blast Entei, so I quickly hit up the list to find:
927 | Entei | Modest | Shuca Berry | Fire Blast | SolarBeam | Hyper Beam | Sunny Day | SpA/SpeNot too worried here provided Garchomp's Aqua Tail hits, and the fact that Snorlax walls it mostly.

Thorton:"Like, say, 30 percent?"

Garchomp vs. Entei. Garchomp uses Aqua Tail, Entei uses Fire Blast (miss). Garchomp uses Aerial Ace to finish it off, 3-2. Slowbro is sent in and, as I have my Focus Sash in tact, I Dragon Rush and get a lucky critical hit, OHKO. 3-1 at this point. Regice comes in and I use Stone Edge and it misses (there goes any chance of winning and not taking any damage..). Regice uses Ice Beam and brings Garchomp to Focus Sash. I use Stone Edge once more and get a critical hit, OHKOing Regice. Sweet, I'm the luckiest guy in the world (touchwood).

Not very exciting but whatever, I'm still continuing my streak and if I didn't post this match now I wouldn't at all!
Video number: 35-31886-19644

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)