Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
yeah, he 2HKOs miltank 99.41% of the time with outrage cause it does 52.6% min. garchomp only does 47-56% to snorlax though which is a 2HKO 80% of the time

Battle Hall: 179 wins with Salamence

Salamence LV 50 @ Focus Sash
Adamant, 6HP/252Atk/252Spe
IVs: 29-30 / 9-10 / 8-9 / 16-17 / 16-17 / 31
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Fire Fang

I settled on the first Mence with a perfect speed IV and just let the rest fall where they may.

Aqua Tail saw almost no usage during all of my runs, as even 90% accuracy can be a death sentence in the Hall. I can only recall using it on highly defensive opponents with a 4x water weakness (Rhyperior). Fire Fang was only particularly useful for levitating Steel types and Shedinja. Replacing Fire Fang with Flamethrower could be a decent choice, as the damage output is comparable even with a -spatk nature, not having to rely on 4 physical attacks doesn't hurt anything, and 100% accuracy is always welcome when you're shooting for 170+ wins. There were even times when Fire Fang (95% acc) missed twice in a row with no accuracy/evasion modifiers in place.

Opponents that either got the best of me or gave me a scare, due to bad choices, bad matchups, or plain old hax:

H203 | Quagsire | Modest | Mystic Water | Earth Power | Muddy Water | Yawn | Endure | Def/SpA

Outrage failed to OHKO (~90% damage). He uses Yawn on turn 1 and Endure on turn 2. After 2 turns, I'm asleep and confused and he has 1HP. I wake up after 4 turns or so, but confusion prevents me from killing him off. In later encounters, leading with Earthquake (~55% damage) and following with Outrage usually did the trick, as he did not use Endure after Earthquake.

H347 | Dusclops | Adamant | Quick Claw | Shadow Punch | Ice Punch | ThunderPunch | Fire Punch | HP/Atk

This jerk ended my run no less than 4 times via Quick Claw, Freeze infliction from Ice Punch, or both. Most-loathed opponent in the whole damn place.

H409 | Umbreon | Relaxed | Leftovers | Facade | Sucker Punch | Confuse Ray | Moonlight | Def/SpD

Outrage failed to 2HKO (barely). While I suffer from self-inflicted confusion after 2 turns of Outrage, Umbreon proceeds to Moonlight back up to full health then finish me off, mostly due to me hitting myself. Leading with Earthquake and then going with Outrage on turn 2 probably would have been a win.

H411 | Scizor | Brave | Focus Sash | Swords Dance | X-Scissor | Counter | Bullet Punch | HP/Atk

Took him down to 1HP on turn 1; he in turn Countered and Bullet Punched me to death. Flamethrower over Fire Fang could have prevented this.

H437 | Metagross | Adamant | Quick Claw | Meteor Mash | Zen Headbutt | Bullet Punch | Light Screen | Atk/Def

Earthquake was a 2HKO at best. He took enough HP off of me in turn 1 to ensure that Bullet Punch KO'd on turn 2.

H454 | Weavile | Adamant | Focus Sash | Night Slash | Ice Punch | Ice Shard | Quick Attack | Atk/Spd

Focus Sash vs Focus Sash. Faster than Mence, 4x effective STAB attacks and the ATK power to use them. Game Over.

H457 | Rhyperior | Brave | Quick Claw | Rock Wrecker | Earth Power | Giga Impact | Reversal | Atk/Def

Aqua Tail missed twice in a row. Freaking Hax Hall.

H462 | Yanmega | Rash | Petaya Berry | Bug Buzz | Air Slash | Endure | Reversal | Def/SpA

Couldn't OHKO. Yanmega's Speed Boost ensured that he got a 2HKO on me instead. Strangely, I recall facing Yanmega a second time, and he *didn't* have Speed Boost. Are abilities randomized?

H476 | Charizard | Quiet | Focus Sash | Will-O-Wisp | Air Slash | Protect | Blast Burn | Atk/SpA

I can't remember exactly how this battle went (I won), but suffering a burn and thusly halving my ATK certainly made it a close call.

I think there should be a rule about using Salamance or Chomp for the Hall now xD. Everyone's doing it (I'm guilty :().

Would anyone think a team of Trick Metagross, SD Gliscor, and DD Gyarados would do well in the tower? I was thinking Metagross to trick, and depending what move the opponent is stuck on switch in either of my two sweepers. They cover each other's weaknesses well (Gyarados comes in on Ice attacks while Gliscor comes in on Electric and Rock attacks).

[img=http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7490/bild0284.th.jpg]

Hey guys im new at Smogon too. But I read much in this forum before I registred.
I just finished the Battle Hall with a streak of 225. To my shame its nearly the same team (two Metagross) Chinese Dood used but I have some additional things to tell about the pokemon I saw there.

Metagross@Scarf LV. 62

EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
29/29/30/27/25/27
Moveset:
~ Iron Head
~ Earthquake
~ Pursuit
~ Explosion

Metagross@Shuca Berry LV. 62

EV spread: 106 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Speed
29/29/30/27/25/27
Moveset:
~ Bullet Punch
~ Thunderpunch
~ Ice Punch
~ Protect

Steelix will always use Curse in the first turn so you can attack one it with eq und ip. It happend sometimes (I encountered it 4 times) that it uses curse again so you can continue attacking. dig is no problem for meta because of eq.

I see rotom as a huge threat too but in the end I didnt lose because of it. at some moments I really thought this team wouldnt be killed without haxing me to death.
infernape is in theory a big pain too but when you play smart you will win:

scarf meta uses eq
shuca meta uses protect
ape 1 and 2 will survive with little hp
ape 1 flare blitz against scarf meta, ape 1 is dead because of recoil
ape 2 flare blitz against shuca meta but its useless
shuca meta uses bullet punch

win

this team has a huge potential but when you do only one mistake its over.

first loss was at battle 92 against

H176 | Farfetchfd | Adamant | Stick | Slash | Swords Dance | Aerial Ace | Swagger | Atk/Spd

scarf meta got stuck in eq, Farfetchfd used sd three times and i didnt see the situation with the shuca meta -> epic fail

I lost in the second run which i made far more conscious against two drifblim.

H362 | Drifblim | Modest | Petaya Berry | Shadow Ball | Psychic | Thunderbolt | Air Cutter | Spd/SpA

I weakend the first with iron head and tp. it didnt kill and they threw shadow balls at me. I was sure that I would win but unburden raised the speed of drifblim and finished my last meta. I think I made a nasty mistake in the battle but i dont remember it ._.

Im sorry if i made too many grammar mistakes (no commas^^) because i dont really write often in english.

Whoa, wow, I didn't think other people would use something so similar to my team. Gratz on that!

Any particular reason why you chose Level 62?

I made sure my Scarf one had 31 Speed IV so it will for sure outspeed neutral 130s and speed tie +115s (at level 50). It wasn't a big deal most of the time anyway though.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I didn't even remember my Metagross moveset correctly (I thought my Scarfgross had Ice Punch and wrote a bunch on that lol, but it actually had TPunch). But anyway, for my Metagross team, TPunch + Bullet Punch guarantees OHKO on on Drifblim, so 2 Metas vs 1 Drifblim makes things easy.

Whoa, wow, I didn't think other people would use something so similar to my team. Gratz on that!
Thanks!

Any particular reason why you chose Level 62?
No it was just concurrence that I found a good meta on level 62 cloned it and put other evs on the second meta.

I made sure my Scarf one had 31 Speed IV so it will for sure outspeed neutral 130s and speed tie +115s (at level 50). It wasn't a big deal most of the time anyway though.
Well i tought of that too but after i investetd very much time in getting my gold symbol with salamence i decided to pick that meta i found and since it IVs were pretty good I kept it. In this case i was careless but i was aware of it.

I had Ice Punch instead of Pursuit because after 170 Shedinja doesn't appear anyway, and neutral Ice Punch is only 5 less Base Power than Super Effective Pursuit... and hits more things for SE, but then I guess a lot of times it's just as good just to explode. VS Infernape, I'd just explode anyway, so you don't need risk EQ not hitting or whatever
There we had the similar thing in mind but i was almost paranoid of the horrible case shedinja would appear and defeat me without problems.
I also found me never using ip so i dropped it for pursuit.

EDIT: OH! Nevermind, I get what you're saying. You're saying your Scarfgross used Iron Head and then your other Metagross never got to attack because it got KO'd by 2 Shadow Balls.
Exactly.

For my team, I'd just Ice Punch with Scarfgross and Bullet Punch on the same Drifblim... guaranteed KO, so only one Drifblim will be able to attack. Then just repeat on 2nd turn.
And because i didnt use ip i lost. How ironic...

EDIT2: For your team, Iron Head + Bullet Punch still has a pretty good (though not guaranteed) chance to KO one Drifblim.
Unfortunately not high enough but in the end i was very annoyed in playing the hall even when i won without effort so i can live with this result.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@ above: I don´t think you can face shedinja on rank 10, except argenta, but in your case I mean above 170

updated the list

after a conversation with the king and his highest advisor I am posting this:

everyone who is top3 in a mode has to post some kind of proof (picture, video) of his/her record for confirmation

Ok, picture taking time. I'll try to get pics for my stuff in a few days.

@Grani: lol yah, I realized I actually had Tpunch on my Scarfgross, not Ice Punch. Would have been the same scenario vs Drifblim, but lowers my chances vs Rotom (Well, basically my team will beat Rotom if Rotom does not score a crit on scarfgross on turn 1 and if Tbolt does not paralyze either of my metagrosses. Both times I got > 170 and I faced Rotom, one or the other happened, so that's why I lost). I needed/wanted Tpunch because of Poliwrath because I can't explode due to damp, and they can 2HKO me, so I need to double Tpunch to kill one off. Otherwise, I'd have ice punch instead since Ice + EQ is a better coverage combo.

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this site and competitive battling but I really want to get a black trainer card so recently i've been putting a lot of work into a more competitive team. So far my record in the BT is 45 and I got it using this team:

Starmie Timid Cherri Berry (first 3 sets of 7) (Expert Belt for the rest)
Max Special Att, Max Speed
Surf
T-Bolt
Ice Beam
Psychic

Scizor Adamant Life Orb
Max Att, Max Speed (for moves outside of Bullet Punch just in case that's not the best choice)
Bullet Punch
SD
Night Slash
X-Scissor

Garchomp Adamant Lum Berry (for status haxes or Outrage cures, it's a lifesaver for sure)
Outrage
SD
EQ
Fire Fang

I only lost at 45 because I had all my Pokemon and I killed a Pokemon with Garchomp. Then he switch to Slowbro and instead of switching I went and used Outrage with Chomp just to eliminate him which I almost did but he killed Chomp so I switch to Starmie who finished him off. Then he sent out his last Pokemon which was Lanturn and it went downhill since I sacrificed Chomp. I definitely learned my lesson to not sacrifice but if I don't do that will my team have a shot at making it to 105? Also about the Cherri berry, I use it because in the first 21 matches I always get Thunder Waved by Pokemon I'm not expecting so it saves me a bunch. I prefer a Lum over Yache because I never get hit by Ice types from Chomp (that's what Scizor is for) and I've lost a couple of matches from Confusion and status haxes so I prefer Lum.

Alright, sry like I said I'm new so I've heard the term but what exactly do you mean by 'bulkier'? Also I like the focus sash cause critical hax too are a problem sometimes. I guess the only main reason I got rid of confusion hax was because I was facing a Ninetails with him and he got confused and he was the only possible guy to take him out but he hurt himself twice while Ninetails set up and then he took out my Togekiss and then Scizor. I probably would have fun that with Starmie so I guess that's an exception. After the first couple sets of 7 I tend to not make a full set of Outrage attacks anyways so I think I may try that then.

What is the best order to approach the Hall? I'm using Salamence with Focus Sash, EQ, Outrage, Fire Fang and Aqua Tail. I'm past the Silver Print, taking down these types:

Ice (Obvious)
Water (Bulkyness and possible ice)
Dark (Weavile, didn't get it though)
Rock
Ground

No, Psychic is ok, but the Cheri isn't. I'm using a Grass Knot Starmie and often enough I wish I had Psychic, lol. (I do own a Psychic one, but it's not on the Platinum right now.) It helps to hit Fighting and Poison types super effectively with STAB, as many of them can become quite annoying if they are not 1HKOed. What stupid HP should beat that in terms of coverage? :D For the item, try Choice Specs, Expert Belt or Life Orb.

Btw, I just beat Honchkrow's Castle record. 210 wins (or something around that) and still in. I'll post my team and videos later, as I hate leaving runs unfinished.

Thanks for the bulky term. Also Premium don't worry I said the Cherri is only for the first 21 battles which I could beat without any items. I just get thunder waved by nearly every Pokemon in those rounds but after that I switch to the expert belt.

I think there should be a rule about using Salamance or Chomp for the Hall now xD. Everyone's doing it (I'm guilty :().
I'm going to second that rule. I found that Focus Sash Garchomp was far too easy. Sure you can get knocked out early by hax and/or misprediction but it is really easy if you built the Pokemon well and are paying attention to what you were doing. This is part of the reason Garchomp was "promoted" to ubers and why Salamence has been suspect tested in the previous generation. I know I have tried at least 2 dozen times with my SpecsJolt and my longest streak was ruined by attract hax Nidoqueen at 86 (but still getting through the rock/steel/ground types are still the toughest for it and can't get too zealous against the dragons either). I will even admit to doing it because I knew it was going to be easy and wanted to get the (relatively) easy gold plate out of the way.

I think I will dare for something many will consider a ludicrous attempt by seeing if I can get my beloved Floatzel into the triple digits for Battle Hall (I'm not even going to try holding my breath for 170 on Floatzel. The low base power of all of it's physical attacks, except Facade and Focus Punch, leave it walled too easily).

Triple digits isn't really that hard, especially for something like Floatzel which has a pretty good movepool and decent offensive stats, since the hall typically doesn't get hard until past rank 7. You can probably easily get to 102 streak by just going through rank 1 - 6 for all 17 types.

Good luck with that!

Also, Psychic on Starmie is good. A 2x super effective Hidden Power is only 140 base power max, while a neutral Psychic is already 135, so the difference isn't huge or even noticeable most of the time, and Psychic hits some for super effective too... and Psychic has good neutral coverage.

Ergh, just lost at about 37 I think... It was Starmie against a Togekiss and I figured Togekiss has a pretty wide and random moveset so I used thunderbolt. He was in red health and OHKO'd me with Signal Beam. Of course the next Pokemon was a Choice Scarf Infernape and I didn't think he had a Choice Scarf at first. He used some move that I can't remember and knocked Garchomp in yellow while I idiotically used SD (I thought I could outspeed him before I knew the Choice Scarf) then of course he was dead. Scizor almost actually had him. Wait, the move was Focus Blast I remember. It would have taken 3 BP hits to KO him. I got one, he missed, I got two, he hit me...

If only. Now I'm debating on ditching SD or at least just not using it at all. In the higher levels I feel like I never use it because each round is crucial for hits. Should I replace it or just not use it?

Infernape has base 108 speed vs Garchomp's 102. It doesn't need Scarf to outspeed Garchomp, and none of the Battle Tower Infernapes have Choice Scarf.

Oh wow, I didn't realize his base speed was that high. I think I'm going to drop SD unless I get a good opportunity against a bad staller or something. Otherwise Garchomp is still great without it. Right now though I'm trying the Battle Hall with him and on 40 wins. Dark was close though. I face a Sharpedo who hung in with a Focus Sash. He used Ice Fang with the Sharp Skin and I had like 30-40 hp left. I finished him off and his sharp skin left Garchomp with 4 hp left! Besides that I've had no close calls. I finished Bug to see about Yamnega, Steel just because, Dark/Ice for Weaviles or other Ice types, and tomorrow I'm just going to do some more random types.

Edit: Should I actually replace one of my Pokemon for a Trick Pokemon? I just read about that method and it seems pretty solid. Trick a Pokemon into a Choice Scarf, Switch, Max out ATT and sweep? Could that possibly go wrong?

Could that possibly go wrong?
well yes.Here's a law I learnt when i spent my time on smogon.
If something can go wrong then it will!
plus there are multiple ways to lose with a trick team but ill leave it for someone else to tell you.

As for your BT team.Keep SD on chomp and put sub>fire fang.
And keep lum on chomp.Trust me,it will work like a charm!
credits to fast for the creation!

And my castle streak ended at 51.gayed by crits!
So my record is 50!ill never go back there unless iv got gold in every facility!and i wanna break 100.

Triple digits isn't really that hard, especially for something like Floatzel which has a pretty good movepool and decent offensive stats, since the hall typically doesn't get hard until past rank 7. You can probably easily get to 102 streak by just going through rank 1 - 6 for all 17 types.
Oh yeah...good point. I completely forgot about doing it that way (I was planning on doing the 10 per type style at first). I know from experience in battle tower that Floatzel can handle quite a few types all by itself (and more reliably now that it has Ice Punch). It does have a good movepool and decent stats, I 100% agree. Since you pointed out those numbers, I'll definitely shoot for a bit higher goal then...maybe 120 as my milestone to reach and 130 as my "inobtainable goal".

Ok, it's over.

Mode

Battle Castle Singles

Record

251 wins, 101 CP

Team

Garchomp Hai Noon
@ Persim Berry
~ Earthquake
~ Dragon Claw
~ Fire Blast
~ Outrage
>>> I looked for a cheap and good item, so Persim Outrage came to mind. No Stone Edge, because it is the worst move ever lol and no Swords Dance, because this is actually my CB Chomp, though SD would have been better.

Metagross Deep Blue
@ Lum Berry
~ Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake
~ Bullet Punch
~ Explosion
>>> Lum is also cheap and saves from stupid random freezes, which happened often enough, lol. The moves are self-explanatory.

Starmie Bellatrix
@ Choice Specs
~ Surf
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Grass Knot
>>> Psychic > Grass Knot in frontier, but fortunately that didn't cost me the run. See below:

How I lost

Garchomp vs. Latias. Having faced so many slower Latias, this one was the second being faster than Garchomp and killing with Ice Beam. Then, I sent Meta for the easy 2-2. The AI answered with its own Meta, which was the dangerous QC b00m Meta. First turn, EQs were exchanged with mine being faster, nothing special. The next turn, it used its QC and owned my Meta, so only Spex Starmie left against 2. Surf finished the Meta and the last one was Sunnybeam Cresselia. Even 2 CHs didn't help; that's it. :( Replay-ID: 87-57355-66929

Other replays/videos

Check out this playlist.

I just found a kinda weird Battle Video. 60-53941-26522. The trainer used a Jigglypuff. Argenta used a Nidoran F. Doe the Hall go easy on you if you use weaker stuff?
I tried to bring this to everyone's attention but nobody commented. I also found one where Argenta used a Bellsprout against a Pikachu.

Running running running, this is what not to chose from one or two combinations, but I can't descibe and cannot therefore eat out any fish that like to suck penis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)