Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

If you use garchomp, replace lefties with yache berry, dragon claw with outrage, and substitute with fire fang or stone edge
no dont do that.sub is the greatest move in the tower.and a 2x fire fang does less then a neutral stab outrage.

So it should look like this:

Garchomp @ Lum berry
Jolly
252 spe/252 att/6 hp
~Outrage
~Earthquake
~Sword Dance
~Substitute

Lum so your gauranteed 4 rounds of anhilation!
Hats off to fasthippo for this as he used it first i think!

gabriel, if you keep heracross, make it scarfacross.

If you use garchomp, replace lefties with yache berry, dragon claw with outrage, and substitute with fire fang or stone edge
I don't exactly see how Scarf would cover the weaknesses I pointed or work with Memento. Maybe it's not a good idea.

no dont do that.sub is the greatest move in the tower.and a 2x fire fang does less then a neutral stab outrage.

So it should look like this:

Garchomp @ Lum berry
Jolly
252 spe/252 att/6 hp
~Outrage
~Earthquake
~Sword Dance
~Substitute

Lum so your gauranteed 4 rounds of anhilation!
Hats off to fasthippo for this as he used it first i think!
I see the point of Lum Berry, but ain't Sub without Leftovers a bit less useful? In other hand, Outrage apart, Garchomp is immune to Thunder Wave and fast enough to Sub before most status-inducers (usually slow and more defensive pokemon) attempt to screw him.

Unfortunately, my Garchomp has no access to Outrage. Is Dragon Claw that worse?

ok, since no one is helping me in rmt, I'm posting some help here. I could really use some help with this, I just want to get to 100 for that last trainer star. This is Platinum BT btw.

The Players

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Pressure- Hasty
252 Atk/252 Spd/6 HP

~ Fake Out
~ Counter
~ Ice Punch
~ Night Slash

My lead, there were Taunt in here in place of Ice Punch. Since BT is limited; type coverage is a better trade off, since I am using Machamp anyways, DT is rarely a big problem. Also gives a free chance against Quick Claw + OHKO hax, given if it was the lead. If I am not mistaken, No Guard does not work with the OHKO moves.

Machamp @ Choice Scarf
No Guard- Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spd/ 6 HP

~ Dynamicpunch
~ Ice Punch
~ Thunderpunch
~ Payback/ Stone Edge

Revenge killer and DT counter, Choice Scarf shoots it pass most of its threats barring a few exceptions. I am really torn on the last slot, should it have Payback for when Machamp gets outsped or have another move like Stone Edge for better power/type coverage?

Last slot...

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Sand Veil- Jolly
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Dragon Claw/ Fire Fang

CB Garchomp can wreck things that cannot outsped its 333 Speed, it can be clean up on whatever Machamp cannot do. The only problem is stuff like Cresselia with Ice Beam, Machamp could not beat it, and Weavile is likely to have already bit the dust in end game.

Metagross @ Choice Band/ Occa Berry
Clear Body- Adamant
252 HP / 236 Atk / 12 Def / 8 Spe

~ Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake
~ ThunderPunch
~ Bullet Punch

Same idea as Garchomp, but with a slightly better type matching. Without Occa Berry, Metagross will die to any Infernape/ Heatran that it will run into. Bullet Punch is for Lati@s that packs Earthquake (I know they exist in BT), Explosion is not present because gross is meant to be a last resort.

I have also considered Scizor, but it also presents the same problem as Metagross in terms of synergy... only worse, when Occa Berry can't save it.

Video ID: 10-80688-98729
688 | Poliwrath | Modest | Wide Lens | Hydro Pump | Focus Blast | Blizzard | Mud Bomb | HP/SpA
673 | Alakazam | Timid | Wise Glasses | Psychic | Charge Beam | Signal Beam | Grass Knot | SpA/Spe

I got to 32 or something with this, I tried going with Occa Agiligross (not the one shown), but end up failing due to confusion hax, I don't know how much of it is my fault though- switching out against Poliwrath deems suicidal since I don't know how much it will do to Machamp, and I know Metagross can't take a Hydro Pump either.

I ended up using Machamp when Weavile bit the dust. I used Dy-punch, and to my dismay, Poliwrath got the coin flip. Then things start get really haxy with Alakazam, Meteor Mash misses, Signal Beam hits and confuses with 4% HP left. No surprises here, I hit myself in confusion.

Machamp comes in and delivers an Ice Punch after getting hit by Grass Knot (why didn't it pick Psychic is beyond me), freeze hax it, but thaws out right afterwards, then I lose.

There was also a Walerin that Brightpowder haxed AND OHKO hax all in the first turn, in the battle right before, so if you want me to take out those OHKO precautions, you are dead wrong.

Issues:
~ Considering replacing lead strategy, it works most of the time, but against weird things like the Poliwrath I faced is rare. Gengar seems to be a good candidate for this.
~ Weavile itself, it can't even OHKO Krabbys for christ sakes, how is it going to fare when it matters?
~ The 3rd slot is key, I need to settle on something that works with this combination, not just thrown in like the Occagross.

Ok clear here's a revamp for your team!

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid
252 sp.att/252 spe/6 hp
~Counter
~Destiney bond
~T-bolt
~Shadow ball

Metagross @ Lum berry/occa berry/Life orb
adamant
252 hp/236 att/16 def/4 spe
~Bullet punch
~Metero mash
~Explosion
~Earthquake

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Adamant
196 hp/252 att/rest spe
~Outrage
~Earthquake
~Fire Fang
~AA/rock slide/crunch

That should get you to 100 with a bit of luck otherwise just look at some teams on the record list and use those :p

After the conclusion of my previous team's doubles records at 72, I decided to try to get a new record with a different one.

Unfortunately, I only made it to 76 with the new one. LOL

Timid Gengar @ Life Orb
Standard Sweeper EVs
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Energy Ball
-Destiny Bond

Gengar makes an obvious partner with Metagross as he is immune to both Earthquake and Explosion. Shadow Ball is for obvious STAB, and Focus Blast is the complementary coverage move. I hate it's accuracy, though, and this Gengar has Hidden Power Fighting 70. >_> I don't know if I should replace it or not. Energy Ball was VITAL as the amount of Whiscash, Swampert, and Gastrodon were astronomical. The rest of this team can't do much to them except blowing up with Metagross and Toxic with Zapdos.

Adamant Metagross @ Occa Berry
EVs I'm not really sure, since it's from my old Emerald. >_>
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Explosion
-ThunderPunch

Usual set with Thunderpunch to help with some waters and for a reliable move to hit flying types with.

Modest Zapdos @ Wide Lens
Standard sweeper EVs
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Toxic
-Roost

This chicken helps with taking out two opponents at a time with Heat Wave and can stall with Toxic and Roost, along with Pressure. Wide Lens to boost Heat Wave to 99 accuracy and Toxic to 93, not to mention give Thunderbolt a boost when the enemy raises Evasion some.

Jolly Floatzel @ Choice Band
Standard sweeper EVs
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch
-Crunch
-Aqua Jet

I needed a speedy Pokemon with a reliable Water move, and I ended up with Floatzel. There are no reliable special-type water moves for doubles, so I had to go physical. Gyarados is much bulkier, but it needed time for set up that I didn't have.

Time for the usual remorseful recollection of my loss:

Ace Trainer Thad sends out Abomasnow and Glalie.

I Shadow Ball Abomasnow for some damage, and it does about 45%. Meteor Mash Glalie for the KO. Abomasnow Ice Beams Gengar and does about 85%.

Walrein is sent out, and I Energy Ball and ThunderPunch it. It manages to live with like 5% HP left and Energy Ball gets a Special Defense drop. Walrein Fissures Metagross for the OHKO. Abomasnow Ice Beams Gengar for the KO.

Zapdos and Floatzel are sent out, and I have Floatzel Crunch (ice types commonly pair with Water types) Abomasnow because Zapdos can Heat Wave both of them to KO, right? Nah, Heat Wave misses Walrein and it Rests up to full health. Abomasnow goes down.

Glaceon is sent out. Crunch from Floatzel misses Glaceon. Zapdos Heat Waves Glaceon for about 90% damage and it misses Walrein AGAIN. Walrein uses Sleep Talk Sheer Cold, but it misses. Glaceon Blizzards to KO Zapdos and freeze Floatzel. Floatzel stays frozen, and Glaceon Blizzards for the KO.

I'll probably take a break from Doubles for a while because I'm getting tired of it. XD I'm not sure what I could have done to do better in that battle. Does anyone have any ideas?

Gengar is an excellent idea, however, I still think I need Machamp for obvious reasons. I get really unlucky with DTfaggots, especially with the power of towerhax on their side.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Levitate- Timid
252 SpA/252 Spd/6 HP

~Counter
~Destiny Bond
~Thunderbolt/ Hidden Power Ice
~Shadow ball

Machamp @ Choice Scarf
No Guard- Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spd/ 6 HP

~ Dynamicpunch
~ Ice Punch
~ Thunderpunch
~ Earthquake/ Fire Punch

May be something like Drapion can go in the last slot since this pretty much folds to Psychics? Drapion has impressive defenses that could help with its Earthquake weakness.

Drapion @ Blacksludge
Battle Armor- Careful
252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpD

~ Crunch
~ Earthquake
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

What do you think? Is there any other useful darks that can do the job in the last slot?

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Unfortunately, my Garchomp has no access to Outrage. Is Dragon Claw that worse?
It's a Move Tutor move in Platinum. If you know/trust someone who has a Plat Cartridge, have them do it. If not I can do it for you, PM me.

45 wins in Platinum Battle Tower using my VGC team:

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid
252 SpA/252 Spd/4 HP
Taunt
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Protect

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
Dragon Claw
Protect
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Zapdos @ Chesto Berry
Timid
252 SpA/252 Spd/4 HP
Detect
Heat Wave
Thunderbolt
Discharge

Entei @ Choice Scarf
Naive
252 SpA/252 Spd/6 HP
Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Heat Wave
HP Ground

My loss? To the annoying OHKO moves that never miss. A Donphan with Fissure KO'd my Chomp and Entei, Kingdra managed to kill Zapdos and Gengar. I was tired and falling asleep while playing this match though, so I don't remember all of the battle.

300 wins pokemon platinum BT

Just hit 300, no real close calls yet other than the one with the badass Kingdra in the movie I linked to in my original post. They managed to mess up my Uxie-Scizor combo a couple of times, but nothing Suicune couldn't handle.

Original post

One funny one was a Tyranitar with Choice Scarf that started Fire Punching Uxie. That completely neutralised my Uxie and clearly not something I want to switch my Scizor into. I was quite impressed that the AI had come up with this to counter the Uxie-Scizor duo and felt quite bad to send in Suicune to clean up his team.

Gah, lost on the first battle of Palmer's second set of 7. I'm using a trick team of Metagross, Scizor, and Garchomp. I lost because a Togekiss was locked on Aura Sphere leaving my Scizor only one good chance to SD (I could have gone twice but it was too risky, I had 1 hp left before Leftovers) so I killed him and killed an Armaldo I think it was but then I lost Scizor and it was an Exploud vs my Garchomp. Of course Outrage isn't a ohko and he ohko's me with Ice Beam. I'm considering swapping Garchomp for Suicune since neither Scizor nor Garchomp can take damage well at all when setting up. Suicune would be pro for that.

Nice! I was hoping you'd add something like this to the search tool!! :D

I don't know if you have the time or if its even possible, but listing the pokemon a trainer may have by entering the trainer name would be another nice addition.
I've still got a couple of exams that I'm ment to be studying for. I've worked out a way to do it, and I may put it on next week.

Watch this space :P

Snapper

snapper i was under the impression that the BT pokemon had random natures, which could effectively make the speed tiers "unstable", we'll say.

do you think it might be better to calculate the fastest that said pokemon will be with a + speed nature, given the EVs (which I'll assume don't change with the nature) that they have?

i do quite enjoy your app though, it's very handy.

*you also are missing an "a" in attack when you explain that attck will show both quick attack and faint attack*

Clear change machamps nature to adamant and try a DD-tar as he is pretty effetive and way more cooler then drapion.

AS for calisto.Well done!

As for my castle streak ended at 51,gayed by crits so my record is 50 but im at 49 in the arcade and will list streak once it ends.The team is pretty cool and was inspired by peterko's team!

2 days ago, I got a streak of 49 in Battle Arcade. I didn't bother continuing it yet, since I don't really like arcade very much. I didn't want to have to concentrate to get a good event every match, so it is still sitting at 49.

I didn't really use any specific team throughout this 49 streak either. Pretty much I was only aiming for the gold print, so I tried this and that, but didn't lose yet.

I had these:
Porygon-Z / Timid / Download
IVs: ? / x / 27 / 30 / 30 / 31
EVs: max speed and spA 4HP
- Tri-Attack / Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / HP Ground 69

Milotic / Modest / Marvel Scale
IVs: 31 / x / 28 / 31 / 31 / 28
EVs: 8 speed, 240 def, the rest were HP and SpA (forgot what the exact split was)
- Surf / Ice Beam / Toxic / Recover

Gengar / Timid / Levitate
IVs: 14 / 14 / 6 / 31 / 31 / 31
EVs: max SpA & speed
- Shadow Ball / TBolt / HP Ice 70 / Destiny Bond

Metagross / Adamant / Clear Body
IVs: 22 / 31 / 31 / 11 / 27 / 27
EVs: enough speed to outspeed 0 speed base 80s, max attack, rest in HP
- Bullet Punch / TPunch / IPunch / EQ

Starmie / Timid / Natural Cure
IVs: 29 / 29 / 25 / 29 / 30 / 31
EVs: max Speed and SpA 4HP
- Surf / Ice Beam / TBolt / Psychic

... I might have used an Adamant Gyarados somewhere too, but if I did, it's probably in the first and/or second streak of 7. Usually I lead with Starmie/Gengar/Porygon-Z. Overall, I found Porygon-Z to be the best, since it outspeed most things and can OHKO nearly everything (pre-49 anyway) when download raises SpA, or at least 2HKO. For streaks 29 to 42, I had Porygon-Z, Gengar, and Metagross, but I was "afraid" that this combo was too frail with both P-Z and Gengar, so for 43 - 49 I used P-Z, Milotic, and Metagross. Milotic & Metagross have somewhat good synergy resisting one of each's weaknesses I guess, but that's about all. Not really any real strategy to it. I didn't even check online to see what pokemon Dhalia had, so I was a bit surprised to see Zapdos, but P-Z outspeed and 2HKO'd it, so it was all good.

I'm kinda back into the Battle Factory business again. I just need goldprint for that and battle hall (not gonna use a dragon). Don't feel like hall at the moment, so factory it is. Chances are, I'll get frustrated with it after another week and just go back to Double again. I'm planning on partnering with a friend to play more link facilities too since my friend's awesome.

snapper i was under the impression that the BT pokemon had random natures, which could effectively make the speed tiers "unstable", we'll say.

do you think it might be better to calculate the fastest that said pokemon will be with a + speed nature, given the EVs (which I'll assume don't change with the nature) that they have?
I think this is for DP. I'm not sure if thats the same for Platnium.

If a pokemon which is labeled as speed boosting/reducing outspeeds/is outspeeded by a pokemon that it shouldn't, then we'll know that the natures are random in platnium.

Keep in mind that the stat calculator sometimes underestimates EV boosted stats by a point. (Ie, a pokemon with EV investment labeled at 133 Spe *may* have 134 speed. But only 133/134).

Can I out source this to someone to verify this, or provide some clarification?

Thanks ^^

*you also are missing an "a" in attack when you explain that attck will show both quick attack and faint attack*
Well spotted.

-----------------------------

My course of action for improvents is:
1. An "and" search, eg: seach for Blissey with Softboiled, or Metagross with Quick Claw.
2. Search by trainer.

If I have time next week we'll see what happens.

Cheers,
Snapper

Natures are set in the Platinum Battle Tower.

And I was under the impression that the "attck" example was to show that you could make a typo and it would still return results. :)

Can someone help me out here? I'm attempting a trick team of Metagross, Scizor, and Suicune. My record with them was about 43 or so and then I lost a while back. I tried again and made it to about 24, I think, when I lost yet again. I set up trick against a Porygon 2 who was stuck on Trick Room. I got a Stealth Rock in and switched to Scizor. I maxed out att and swept with Bullet Punch. Then he sends Bastiodon so I use a Bullet Punch and he has probably 1 hp after Stealth Rock and max att BP. He sweeps me with Flamethrower so I switch to Metagross and just use Meteor Punch or whatever the move is. Then he sends out Alakazam who just sweeps my Metagross. I have Suicune and I use Surf to put him in about half HP but of course his Psychic keeps me just at over half to survive another hit but no, my Sp. Def fell. He kills me with Focus Blast...

Now I'm just confused because apparently everyone who's at like 300 wins uses a team just like this. What exactly do I do in a situation where I lose a sweeper like that? The thing I don't like about Scizor is that if he opens in on a Steel type or something that resists him, max attack seems to still barely do anything and they somehow have a fire move everytime... =/

The one advantage they have, is subsitute. With a sub up, scizor could of BPed twice or gone for the slower brick break/ superpower.
Also, why BP a Bastiodon? You outspeed and OHKO with a fighting move.

Ah, heh, ya see I think that's where I went wrong. I don't have Substitute and neither do I have Brick/SuperPower. I was going to put Brick Break on there but I kept forgetting so he has X-Scissor but at the moment I forgot. Should I go with Substitute instead? I never truly understood the point in Substitute but now that all makes sense... Thanks!

Okay Peterko, first I want to say what an amazing job you and others do to keep this kind of stuff going! I've been reading the thread (Starting back at the D/P Battle tower one) for a long time, and the stuff people come up with is genius! The first example I've seen was TRE's counter sash Gengar. Now I've gotten great at battling (Took out both Palkia and Dialga lvl 100 w/ that Gengar at Lvl 50) and I finally created an account. I created a bunch of Pokemon in Pearl I would have used in the Frontier if I hadn't lost it... so for now I've used the sash-chomp. Thanks for the guide to help me get 31 att and speed. So first of all:

Platinum Battle Hall, Single Battle, Streak: 199
Garchomp (Omichomp)
Nature: Jolly
IVs: x/31/x/x/x/31
EV spread: 6 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
~ Earthquake
~ Outrage
~ Fire Fang
~ Stone Edge

Basic Stratagy is to take out all ice types, so i took out ice first, then water, then ground, dark, ghost, flying, psychic, grass (Not that Abomasnow is much of a threat), and from there I forget. I ended with bug for the gold symbol to make it really easy. There was one very close call when facing dark types, Sharpedo. I like the higher accuracy moves so I used Outrage, and not to my surprise, hung on using its sash, and deactivated mine, but not much I could do when all my moves are physical, and special moves aren't worth it. It then froze me and left me with I believe 3 HP with Ice Beam. By some miracle I thawed out and killed it with outrage. As my downfall, I lost to a stinking Hippodon (However its spelled), on battle 200. There wasn't much I could do and was fated to lose from the start. Knowing that Hippodon caries a chunky defense stat I used EQ to be on the safe side and not confuse myself. Well, it used yawn, and I left it in the 65% region, or so it looked. At that point I used Outrage which still wasn't anywhere near enough to kill it. Long story short I could not have beaten it no matter what I did. and lost.

This one is my brother's record. I don't know how he did it but he is a Battle Factory maniac the streak is still going so here it is:

Platinum Battle Factory, Single Open Level, Streak: 35

I can put the pictures up later, but I implore that someone teaches me how to get the nice quality ones cuz mine come out fuzzy.

Use EQ against Sharpedo, lol.

Nevertheless, Nubtro will hate you for posting another Garchomp record. :D (Though he should hate all the old Garchomp/Salamence users as well then, huh.)

@ Shiny Regice:
Don't use Metagross if you intend to set up Scizor, it will attract too many moves which scizor is not built to resist (fire, water, ground, electric, fighting...). You're probably better off using something like Latias as a Trick lead because Scizor resists the moves that are super effective against it.

Leading on from that, you really want to try and have a team with no more than one weakness for the same type if you are aiming for a long streak (Metagross 2x Fire and Scizor 4x Fire weakness). The trainers that specialise in certain types will eventually take down teams with multiple weaknesses in some way or another (maybe something random like electric moves on their Fire pokemon that kill Suicune then sweep your team).

Ideally, try to come up with a team that covers each others weaknesses well so you can switch any pokemon into the other two without too much danger (even on Trick teams this can be handy).

I see you are using X-scissor on Scizor, a good move but it really leaves Scizor vulnerable to anything that outspeeds it, which many do. If you want to use those non-priority moves on Scizor, Substitute really has to be part of your moveset. Not only will it help against critical hit and status moves while setting up, it gives you that hugely important extra attack when battling the rest of the team.

Finally, you want to take full advantage of the fact that you are tricking the opponent into a single move and cripple them as much as possible before setting up. So any move that lowers accuracy, speed, attack or attacking turns (paralyse & freeze) will be extremely useful. You could even try and switch in Suicune and Pressure/Protect them out of PP for some Fire and Water moves that Scizor can't handle too well. Then switch to Scizor while they struggle and quickly Swords Dance and Substitute before they kill themselves (I tried this for a while and works pretty well).

I think if you replace Metagross with a Trick-Latias/Cresselia/Uxie that can cripple their lead in some way, your team should do ok. I hope that helps you in some way!

I haven't acheived anything in platinum battle frontier yet... Why? Becuase i haven't even bought the game yet :p! Hopefully I will be getting it soon, maybe next week? I have all of my prized legendary/shiny/iv bred pokemon lined up ready for trade into platium though, all 140 something of them :s it is going to be one hell of a move :s Looking foreward to the frontier though esp :D I have only ever done the frontier in emerald, didn't get anywhere becuase my emerald turned out to be fake and the file got corrupt :'(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)