Team Synergy: OU RMT

Hey everybody! I've just started battling on shoddy, and after battling with a few unsuccessful teams, I wanted to make a team that can win a lot (Who doesn't? haha). I started this team and worked around Jirachi, the first poke I put on this team. I tried to set it up so each weakness is covered by multiple resistances. I originally designed this team around the ParaFlinch strategy, and it evolved into what I think is a pretty balanced team. I win more often than I lose, but I would appreciate any advice to make this team better.

Team Synergy at a Glance

A Closer Look

Heatran (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Explosion

This lead is meant purely to use SR, then switch out. This way the opponent thinks he is sashed, and may be in for a nasty surprise later in the battle. I've noticed that even with the Shuca Berry, Heatran can still be OHKO'd by some ground attacks. I originally had HP Ice, which I replaced with Explosion, but now I have no ice moves on my team. Is this a problem? Flamethrower is very powerful after Flash Fire. Because fire attacks are often aimed at Jirachi and Breloom, it is relatively easy to switch Heatran in for Flash Fire.
---

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I chose Suicune to add to the overall synergy of this team. It resists the fire attacks that hurt Jirachi and Breloom. The Crocune set adds overall bulk. Rotom resists the electric attacks that hurt him, and my steel types resist the grass attacks. After battling a few times with this new set, I decided I love the Crocune set. It has brought me out of a few tight spots.
---

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 84 Atk/208 Spd/216 SAtk
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Brick Break

I originally had Umbreon in this spot, but I barely ever used it, so I replaced it with this Mixmence. I used the New Mixmence EVs with the classic moveset from Smogon. Is this the best way to go? Roost is to heal off damage from SR. It also helps by taking away the 4X ice weakness. Brick break helps against blissey, although I have to watch out for Ice Beam. Brick break also helps against the steel types that aren't weak to Fire Blast. The flying type helps support my ground-weak steels. I have had a lot of success with this Mixmence. Is there anything that would make it better suited for my team?
---

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 44 HP/252 Atk/212 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Focus Punch
- Spore

Breloom was originally meant to take out dark types that could stop Rotom-w from setting up for Jirachi. It has turned out to be an excellent threat in the late game though. Once its counters have been removed it is hard to stop this SubPunching set. Leech Seed helps take down walls, as well as adding survivability. Once the opponent is seeded, Breloom is very difficult to take down. I like to bring this in on something that will do little damage to it, causing a switch. this way I can get a Sub up, and save spore to hit it's counters, such as ghost types that would usually screw this set over.
---

Rotom-h @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP/168 Def/88 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Overheat
- Confuse Ray/????
- Thunderbolt/????

Originally, this was a Rotom-w with HP Fire, so steel types wouldn't switch out right away, allowing me to do some damage. I switched Rotom-w to Rotom-h in order to better counter some threats to Jirachi. Its typing gives it an imunity to EQ and a resistance to Magnezone's electric attacks. Overheat is for steel types that resist Jirachi. T-Wave and Confuse Ray are to support Jirachi's ParaFlinch. I can switch Rotom-h into the ground attacks that are often aimed at Heatran, giving me a free turn to start statusing. I only really meant for Rotom to Paralyze opponent's Pokes, and take out steel types, which is accomplished with T-Wave and Thunderbolt. Is there anything else that would work better in the last two moveslots?
---

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish
- U-turn

This is the poke that started the whole team. With Serene Grace, Body Slam and Iron Head, Jirachi is an excellent ParaFlincher. I decided to use Jirachi over Togekiss because of its superior typing and stats. It has to be wary of other steel types, which resist this whole set. Magnezone in particular is dangerous because of its trapping ability.
---

So in summary, this team is meant to back up the ParaFlinching Jirachi and the SubPunching Breloom. All these pokes work pretty well together, but I am open to any suggestions from battlers that are more knowledgeable than myself. Thanks!

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
hahaha Jirachi is a total bastard. I hate fighting him. I just have one quick question. If Magnezone is a big problem for Jirachi, why not give it a Shed Shell? Then it wont be trapped by that stupid lil bastard magnet (bastard is my word of the day), and it can be back for more! Also...instead of U-Turn, howz about Protect? Its amazing for scouting, and it turns Wish into a better version of Recover (bar losing a move slot). I'll probably post more on this team tomorrow but Im feeling super lazy tonight.

um yeah u might want an ice attack. Ice is the most effective attacking type in the current metagame.

No rapid Spin?????? If SR or spikes become a problem you might want to switch suicune out for starmie as it is still a really usefull fire resist and can spin since you have no other way of dealing with entry hazards.

Also for rotom use will-o-wisp over thunderwave or electivire will use you for motor drive way to easy. Also id suggest shadowball over confuse ray as confuse ray doesnt really work well on rotom. Definitely get rid of confuse ray but if u really want to keep t-wave then u should have will-o-wisp with it or ground types will destroy u.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Hi,

your team is not bad, I'd just suggest some moveset changes:

1) give Heatran a naive nature to power up your explosion;

2) on Salamence feel free to run max special attack to maximize the damage output from draco meteor, so run an EV spread of: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe. You'll still outspeed adamant Lucario, and it's enough in my opinion.

3) On Rotom use a moveset of: W-o-W, thunderbolt, shadow ball, overheat. It's your best Gyarados counter, so thunderbolt is a must. Will o wisp is for TTar and other physical threats. Overheat for Jirachi and Scizor.

4) Onto Jirachi: it definitely needs fire punch. Lost Salamence, Lucario is free to sweep this team, hence why fire punch is necessary to at least revenge kill it. You may remove body slam, which may determine a status conflict with Breloom's spore, or even wish, as you don't really need wish passing having several ways of recovering health on your pokemons.

Hello!

Looking at your team, you have a few big weaknesses. The first most evident one is your Dragon Dance Salamence weakness. After one DD, Salamence is faster than everyone on your team and threatens to at least 2HKO everyone on your team. Here are some damage calculations to help you see this. All of these calculations include Stealth Rock.

+1 Salamence Earthquake vs. 4 Hp/0 Def Heatran w/ Shucca: 125.93% - 148.77%
+1 Salamence Outrage vs. 252/252 Bold Suicune: 63.12% - 74.26%
+1 Salamence Outrage vs. 0 Hp/0 Def Salamence (intimidate included): 188.52% - 221.75%
+1 Salamence Outrage vs. 44 Hp/0 Def Breloom:171.32% - 201.84%
+1 Salamence Outrage vs. 248 Hp/168 Def Bold Rotom-H:94.06% - 110.89%
+1 Salamence Earthquake vs. 80 Hp/0 Def Jirachi: 119.11% - 140.72%

Suicune is the only one on your team who stands a chance against a DD Salamence, and it could only handle it after Salamence had OHKO'd another pokemon, and thats assuming it was locked into Outrage. If it wasn't, it could switch out and come back to fight another day.

Some other pokemon your team has trouble with. Once Suicune dies (though I understand as much as you do Suicune is a tough pokemon to take down), Substitue Rhyperior (Subperior) and Rock Polish Rhyperior can do a lot of damage to this team. Rock Polish Rhyperior outspeeds everything, much like the DDMence, and the Substitute can do a lot of damage to everything on your team behind a Substitute while most of your pokemon fail to be able to break it, especially if Rhyperior is in a Sandstorm. Similarily, Dragon Dance Tyranitar can have a field day on this team once Suicune is out (though he still manages to 2HKO your Suicune). CroPert and Mixpert with wish support could also give this team a lot of problems.

First, I recommend you change your Heatran. Heatran isn't doing a whole lot for this team from what I see. Theres not a lot of fire attacks you soak up, and Suicune is great at doing that anyway. A better lead for this team is Bronzong.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EV's: 252 Hp / 86 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpDef
IV's: 0 Spe
Nature: Sassy
~Stealth Rock
~Gyro Ball
~Earthquake
~Explosion

Bronzong is almost guaranteed to get Stealth Rock down for you, thanks to his bulk, and more than likely come back several times during the game to do it again, should they be spun away. He is a great switch in to all Salamence and helps you deal with DD Salamence a lot better. You can fire away Gyro Balls or if you are really desperate to get rid of him, you can just explode. Often times you can scare Salamence away by just bringing him in, which alone is a good enough step towards dealing with him thanks to Stealth Rock damage. Bronzong also serves as a check against Tyranitar, rock Polish Rhyperior, and makes your life against Latias a bit better.

I think your team would benefit from changing your Suicune set. Crocune can be a scary threat, but he really becomes a threat with Toxic Spikes, something your team does not have nor is it built around. Instead, I think a Calm Mind Shuffle set will work better. Suicune gains more coverage, and gains Roar, to not only switch out Suicunes counters, but also gives you the ability to stop things like Baton Pass chains that haven't made it to their Smeargle/Suction Cups pokemon.

Suicune @ Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold
~Calm Mind
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Roar

Just having Ice Beam will make denting your opponents team that much easier. Suicune will still be capable of taking a sleep with a few Calm Minds under its belt, assuming the opponents big physical hitters are out of the way. Bronzong can also take a sleep and be okay at least after you have Stealth Rock setup if you'd rather not have Suicune asleep.

Your team would probably gain more from running New MixMence as opposed to Old MixMence. You'll gain a lot more from running Earthquake/Outrage, Brick Break will really only help you against Blissey, whom will be dealt with much easier (once you see my Jirachi change).

Salamence @ Life Orb
EV's: 84 Atk / 216 SpA / 208 Spe
Nature: Mild
~Draco Meteor
~Earthquake
~Fire Blast
~Outrage/Roost

I really think Outrage will do you better, but if you think you don't stay alive long enough (especially since I am recommending you change your Wish Jirachi set), you can try going with Roost. Either way, Earthquake provides much more purpose to your team than Brick Break.

Going back, I think you should Scarf your Rotom-H. If you do decide to change your Heatran to Bronzong, you are more vulnerable to letting Lucario getting a Swords Dance. To remedy that, Changing Rotom-H to a Choice Scarf set can make sure Lucario doesn't sweep your team.

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
EV's: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Nature: Modest
~Thunderbolt
~Overheat
~Shadow Ball
~Trick

If you do make this switch, you will be able to take out a boosted Lucario before he sweeps your team. Rotom-H can also now act as a revenge killer, and perhaps even a late game sweeper. You can also cripple a defensive pokemon that relies on being able to use a lot of moves like Skarmory by tricking your Scarf onto them. However, your ability to effectively counter Scizor and Gyarados is worse, as you don't have as much bulk as you did before.

I think you would greatly benefit from changing your Jirachi set. Right now he serves as half flincher, half wish support. If you changed to a Substitute + Calm Mind set, he would become a whole lot more dangerous, and would benefit your team a lot more. Going Substitute Calm Mind ends your Blissey problem that you would otherwise have with this team, and gives you a reliable, powerful sweeper that KO's by raw power as opposed to flinching!

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Nature: Timid
~Substitute
~Calm Mind
~Flash Cannon
~Thunderbolt

Despite you hitting not hitting Magnezone as hard, I think you'll do better with Flash Cannon, as you can hit Latias and Celebi harder. Blissey cannot break these subs and many other things will have a hard time breaking the subs, giving you turns to set-up. Blissey staying in will actually help you, and after a few Calm Minds Blissey can be easily taken out while you're behind a Sub. Your sweeping capabilities with this set is much greater and your overall threat to your opponets team is much greater.

I hope this info helps your team and your battling!

edit: Thanks to sot for showing me the Rotom change.

hahaha Jirachi is a total bastard. I hate fighting him. I just have one quick question. If Magnezone is a big problem for Jirachi, why not give it a Shed Shell? Then it wont be trapped by that stupid lil bastard magnet (bastard is my word of the day), and it can be back for more! Also...instead of U-Turn, howz about Protect? Its amazing for scouting, and it turns Wish into a better version of Recover (bar losing a move slot). I'll probably post more on this team tomorrow but Im feeling super lazy tonight.
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't U-Turn let Jirachi get away from Magnezone? Or will Magnet Pull prevent U-Turning out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)