Pyroak Playtesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, there's no reason why one would use that over Celebi, but I'm just going to point out that the spread 252 / 136 / 120 gets you a free defence point.
The only difference is that Celebi has much more weaknesses, especially being weak to U-turn and carrying a Pursuit weakness, which Pyroak isn't necessarily afraid of.

Celebi can't really hurt Tyranitar and Gyarados either, since it will fall under a 2HKO with Crunch or an OHKO with a boosted Bounce (assuming Reflect is not up). Pyroak can at least burn them to lose their effectiveness.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The only difference is that Celebi has much more weaknesses, especially being weak to U-turn and carrying a Pursuit weakness, which Pyroak isn't necessarily afraid of.

Celebi can't really hurt Tyranitar and Gyarados either, since it will fall under a 2HKO with Crunch or an OHKO with a boosted Bounce (assuming Reflect is not up). Pyroak can at least burn them to lose their effectiveness.
And Celebi has much more important resistances and no weakness to rock. If you use reflect on Celebi you are going to live against a Scizor U-turn and Tyranitar Crunch. Being 2hko'd by crunch with a reflect celebi doesn't matter, as I wouldn't know why you would stay in after the second crunch. I could say that Pyroak is 2hko'd by Stone Edge after reflect. Lava Plume isn't something that you would use to hit Tyranitar and Gyarados either, while Grass Knot does decent damage to both. The only thing Lava Plume has going for it is burn.

If you're also going to assume that Reflect is not up for Celebi (which I might also add is much easier to get up than Pyroak's), then I might as well assume rocks are up for Pyroak and you will get ohko'd by a boosted bounce and stone edge from tyranitar. Overall the "more weaknesses" thing is crap if Pyroak doesn't have the excellent resistances and non weaknesses Celebi sports.

So Pyroak makes for a poor defensive/support option with Celebi on the field.

Offensively, he does have access to Mud Bomb, which allows him to hit Heatran, freeing up his Hidden Power slot to hit dragons with Ice.

Modest with Life Orb will do 98% minimum to a 0/0 Heatran. Of course, LO seems counter-intuitive on a slow, bulky creature like Pyroak, but without the boost, the damage is more like 75-88%.

It isn't much, but it's something that allows him to compete with Celebi's Earth Power option when taking into account his Fire STAB.

If you're going for a Specs set, note that Mud Bomb isn't compatible with Leaf Storm.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I haven't used pyroak at all (mainly cause I'm too lazy make a new team for him), and my standard team seems to be doing fine against him. In general he seems kinda underwhelming. His lack of resistance's really hurts him against anything with a bit of bulk and force.

I have tried Pyroak for a while but as others have pointed out it seemed that the best thing he does, Celebi does it better. His anti-lead set didn't work out so well, fast leads like Aerodactyl and Azelf laugh at it. So far he's kinda meh, he's doing a little better than Syclant but he's still underwhelming. I'm considering to try him out in new sets today but i doubt their success.

I've been finding my Pyroak lead to be extremely successful, it counters the majority of leads in the metagame. Fire, Grass, and Ground are an incredible attacking trio, only resisted by Latias. It takes down most leads, although my set is special, allowing me to use HP Ground to its fullest, as well as Fire Blasts power, and Grass Knot is better against Hippowdon and Swampert leads.

So Pyroak makes for a poor defensive/support option with Celebi on the field.

Offensively, he does have access to Mud Bomb, which allows him to hit Heatran, freeing up his Hidden Power slot to hit dragons with Ice.

Modest with Life Orb will do 98% minimum to a 0/0 Heatran. Of course, LO seems counter-intuitive on a slow, bulky creature like Pyroak, but without the boost, the damage is more like 75-88%.
what about a expert belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)