Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we care about love letters :)

If you have info on Colosseum, you should let some of it out since HG/SS is coming out and there won't be much of a use for it after.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Im going to need a partner to help me test that... "glitch" ...I found. I'll just have to trade you a few pokes and we'll have to input commands in a specific order. PM me if you can help.

It might not actually be a "glitch" but I haven't been able to find it in any guide and it really raped my team that 1 time :/

Im going to need a partner to help me test that... "glitch" ...I found. I'll just have to trade you a few pokes and we'll have to input commands in a specific order. PM me if you can help.

It might not actually be a "glitch" but I haven't been able to find it in any guide and it really raped my team that 1 time :/
Hey can i help?

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Besides this, one thing I have learned from this tournament is that Rain Dance WILL dominate vgc and there is nothing that can beat it, absolutely nothing. I didn't want to believe it but now I am a firm believer.

Me and Shoe discussed many different options but there was absolutely none that could beat RD in VGC. This is obviously without even bringing hax into the equation.
Its really not that hard to beat, my team never lost to either matches for fun, ice breaker or the real thing, you just need a good goodstuff team, or some specifically rain countering pokemon like sunny day cress, if anything I thought this tournament finally showed that rain nor TR was the best way to play with both finalists having neither and beating rain in the semis

Just to clear things up:

Kyogre and Palkia are easy to beat from what I've simulated so far.

This is using every previous rule but with those certain Ubers permitted. You will beat Rain Dance in VGC 2010. The game itself in fact seems more of a challenge, give it a month on Shoddy Battle 2 and you'll all know how in many many different ways.

I don't know about you guys but I am so training my younger sister in this game so I can go to Worlds. xD

Hey! Cool idea here:

How about...

National championships in the UK, Spain, France, Italy and Germany, the five European regions with their own Nintendos and game translations. Each national is treated like a US regional, with 4 qualifiers from each country. These qualifiers then move on to... a European continental championship which is treated like St. Louis. To be held somewhere like maybe Strasbourg, which is nice and in the middle of everywhere. The only country which'd be quite a way off would be Spain, but hey the Spanish winners got paid trips to Paris so Strasbourg wouldn't be too much further. And then have the top 8 or so at the European championship qualify for Kona. This would greatly improve the European representation at the Worlds and make it more fun for everyone: from what I've heard, San Diego was a ridiculously fun week out and I'd love to go to the Worlds myself and have more fellow Europeans share in the experience. Europe is, after all, a great Pokémon hub. Almost everyone I know plays Pokémon (though few show off about it), and one of the biggest Pokémon fansites (Serebii) is actually based in England with Filb/PokéWiki being German and PokéLord being French. There's a Spanish site too but I can't remember which it is.

In short, it'd be so cool if this happened, and while it's probably already been discussed within TCPI, I hope they at least consider it next year. Oh, and for you lazy skimreaders, I'll point out again that this is all just an idea, not what is actually happening. :P
I 100% agree witht he idea. And the spanish site is Pokexperto. There was an Italian site too, ceruleancave.net I think.

Italy deserves to be in it too. At least we had ''nationals'' with the winner going to Paris, but Italians had nothing.

Also, is the Final in Youtube?

The video's been horribly edited, though. From what I've heard, they weren't too exciting anyway however.

Edit: LOL nice find!

Oh yeah and I used Gravity/Rain at London. Didn't work, as a first turn crit completely screwed me over in the quarter finals.

Gotta love them pikapuffs!
To everyone's hate comments to the JPN, there is really nothing to hate. They are just that good. They're are a really friendly group and I'm sure worked hours on end to perfect their team.

To everyone I met in SD, I really enjoyed the experience. Although I was not a competitor, I had a really great time hanging out with all of you guys. I look forward to seeing you all next year :)

Random question: What's a "goodstuff" team? :P
This question has been answered a couple of times in this thread. You should look for better the next time...

A goodstuff team is one which pokemon work well each other without any weather or similar strategy (Sun, Rain, Gravity, Trick Room, etc). For Example, the combo Garchomp + Zapdos.

Well, I'm now actually a bit disappointed in my brother :\
Not only did he fail to get anything signed ("the queue was too long"), but he didn't download the event Weavile to our games either ("my DS ran out of batteries"). Ironically, guess who rushed back with him to get his DS charger minutes before he left for Worlds?
Well, letting him borrow my Platinum was a bit of a waste... Next year, I'm going to win the qualifiers so I can go and to everything myself >:(

Ouch. Shoe said your brother didn't join him and Sadman in their hunt for Masuda (found him by a lift lol), and thought it was strange. The queue was too long though, I think. Shoe mentioned that.

He did get 2 Weaviles though, and while he's yet to RNG abuse for max IVs on either of them, I'm sure he'll give you a copy.

Ouch. Shoe said your brother didn't join him and Sadman in their hunt for Masuda (found him by a lift lol), and thought it was strange. The queue was too long though, I think. Shoe mentioned that.

He did get 2 Weaviles though, and while he's yet to RNG abuse for max IVs on either of them, I'm sure he'll give you a copy.
@Alakapimp: I still think rain is the best strategy to go with in vgc, I don't like the idea of wasting perfectly viable pokemon/moveslots on goodstuff pokemon just to counter it. But maybe it was me, I did get haxed crazily by about everything and I was using a goodstuffs team which was an improved version from my London qualifier. Also the Junior champ was using RD as well.

All in all, I really did have a lot of fun and thats what really mattered to me.

@Zog: I am still contemplating suicide for taking that horrible picture, I feel so bad for Shoe, he really wanted a good pic with Masuda. DAMN "Takes razor blades and runs to the corner of the room."

@Alakapimp: I still think rain is the best strategy to go with in vgc, I don't like the idea of wasting perfectly viable pokemon/moveslots on goodstuff pokemon just to counter it. But maybe it was me, I did get haxed crazily by about everything and I was using a goodstuffs team which was an improved version from my London qualifier. Also the Junior champ was using RD as well.

All in all, I really did have a lot of fun and thats what really mattered to me.

@Zog: I am still contemplating suicide for taking that horrible picture, I feel so bad for Shoe, he really wanted a good pic with Masuda. DAMN "Takes razor blades and runs to the corner of the room."

Just like every game, something naturally counters the other.

Goodstuff beats TR
TR beats Rain
Rain beats Goodstuff

That is the naturally order. I'm not saying those will always win, but they have a greater chance. Rain is all about out speeding the opponents and TR reverses the speed so slower pokemon go first, so it is a natural counter to it. Having rain week pokemon for your sweepers may be why most TR teams lose to RD. I run marowak + HH Uxie on my TR team and it does pretty well. I haven't lost to a rain team before I believe. I know I beat Raist a lot using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)