Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
are you serious? that´s the point...sometimes, when you play for a few hours, this time all morning right after waking up, before your breakfast actually gives you the energy needed (while you digest) and simultaneously pay attention to the athletics WCH and you see a freaking blissey bitch you hate...hell I don´t know why I did such a mistake, but I explicitly called it incredibly stupid in my post so no need to ask questions...

hahaha I just faced ace trainer garvey

by the way, I didn´t use a trick team in DP, but I think the AI is wiser in plat.

I mean just a few moments ago I was bolting a cloyster who protected turn one and then switched out to the levitating grass type thing...

also when I set up registeel and after the 1st seismic toss they sometimes switch their NVE attacker out (air slash togekiss, brave bat) and bring out something with a STAB SE attack like moltres or medicham...

do you feel that the AI was changed a bit?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I've been off from Smogon and Shoddy Battle, because I've started playing Platinum this summer for the first time, and I'm loving it! Currently, I am trying to get the 170-streak on Battle Hall, because I thought it would be the easiest thing to accomplish and rack up BPs xP. I've tried using FSash Absol, but it failed to 2HKO Torkoal.

Right now, I'm thinking of raising Togekiss. I've seen the record-breaking CSCarf Togekiss on the first post of this thread, but I'm thinking of trying this out:

Togekiss@FSash
Nature: Timid
EVs: Spd / SAtk and or HP
Moves:
Air Slash, Aura Sphere, Protect, Yawn

For the lower and medium-level ranks, hopefully I can OHKO or 2HKO everything. But when I encounter bulkier pokemon, Togekiss will put it to sleep with Yawn + Protect, and hopefully beat it in 3 hits. If it wakes up, I can still lean on Togekiss' 60% flinches. I may swap Protect / Aura Sphere for other moves depending on what type I'm facing, like Flamethrower when I am trying to beat Steels....

The main problem with this is most likely Tyranitar and lots of Electrics. Tyranitar bcuz of Sandstream's SDef boost and nullifying FSash; Electrics because they are usually faster, have a paralyzing move in forms of Discharge, Thunder, or TWave, and / or resist Togekiss (ie Zapdos & Rotom). Perhaps Yawn, Protect, Flash, Shadow Ball / Psychic (for SDef drop) when facing Electrics and hope that I will hax my way through it ...

Hmm, I'm just brainstorming right now

Platinum Battle Arcade Single: 63 wins

I don't remember what I lost to, but I had this team:

Gyarados
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spe
Earthquake
Waterfall
Dragon Dance
Ice Fang

Scizor
Adamant
252 Atk/252 Spe
Bullet Punch
X-Scissor
Brick Break
False Swipe (changed to Roost...)

Latios
Timid
252 SpA/252 Spe
Calm Mind
Grass Knot
Dragon Pulse
Recover (changed to Shadow Ball)

Battle Hall Single Record: 174 wins

This was gotten with the Latios, but I constantly switched moves. I lost to a Whiscash with Blizzard.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
are you serious? that´s the point...sometimes, when you play for a few hours, this time all morning right after waking up, before your breakfast actually gives you the energy needed (while you digest) and simultaneously pay attention to the athletics WCH and you see a freaking blissey bitch you hate...hell I don´t know why I did such a mistake, but I explicitly called it incredibly stupid in my post so no need to ask questions...

hahaha I just faced ace trainer garvey

by the way, I didn´t use a trick team in DP, but I think the AI is wiser in plat.

I mean just a few moments ago I was bolting a cloyster who protected turn one and then switched out to the levitating grass type thing...

also when I set up registeel and after the 1st seismic toss they sometimes switch their NVE attacker out (air slash togekiss, brave bat) and bring out something with a STAB SE attack like moltres or medicham...

do you feel that the AI was changed a bit?
yeah, i mentioned that in my factory wall of words:

'i've also noticed that in plat, if you use an attack that doesn't kill the foe poke, and the foe has another poke that resists that attack, they "will" switch to that poke. i say "will" because i'm pretty sure it doesn't always happen, and it has not once happened to me here in the factory where it has happened in the tower and the castle and probably the arcade too.'

so i bet the game actually regards seismic toss as a fighting type move and that's why the game switched in a flying type and a psychic type when your first toss didnt ko

Sorry,din't mean to piss you off.I am truly sorry.passing comments like that is stupid.

As for my streak.My highest record for the factory is 17 after like 2 and a half hours or so straight.Such a bitch seems like im never going to hit 49......
Though I think im getting when to swap and what all to do etc.

I'm thinking of trying this out:

Togekiss@FSash
You have one huge issue with a Focus Sash strategy, and that's opponents haxing you. Imagine someone using Ice Beam at you on the first turn, and freezing you, for instance; then you wouldn't be able to protect. (I've seen a Garchomp defeated three times in a row by a sashed Sharpedo that used Ice Fang and froze it...) In ordinary battling, hax from your opponent is normally not worth worrying about unduly; at the battle hall, there are so many battles that you have to cut down the chance of being defeated by enemy hax as much as you can.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, I thought inducing Sleep is a good strategy against 1 on 1, but in actuality, the battles are pretty fast-paced to sometimes even be bothered with it. It's good to stop faster pokemon, but against slower pokemon I am better off flinch-haxing them to avoid getting haxed, as you've said. I even end up scarfing Togekiss often just to insure it goes first. I still have Yawn just in case, but I hardly deploy it. The only time Protect + Yawn saved Togekiss was against an Aerodactyl, who CH Stone Edged my Togekiss; after putting it to sleep, Aura Sphere 2HKOed.

Hyper Beam, on the other hand, is a great OHKOer! Sucks that I don't have access to Tri- Attack, but Hyper Beam makes up for it.

@Pocket: What members go with your Togekiss? I quite like Togekiss TBH, I find it amazingly cute and cuddly.

I was thinking of maybe:
Metagross (Lead/Sweep), Togekiss (Special Sweep), Garchomp (Ownage).

Platinum Battle Tower Single Record: 81

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
IVs: 26/27/24/31/10/31
EVs: 42 HP / 252 SpAtk / 216 Speed
Moveset:
~ Surf
~ Psychic
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

Pretty darn standard. Blast the bajeez out of a ton of stuff in the tower.

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 25-26/31/8-9/16-17/17-18/31
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 SpDef / 2 Speed
Moveset:
~ Superpower
~ X-Scissor
~ Bullet Punch
~ Swords Dance

I kinda just grabbed a Scyther and went to town. Pretty standard here. Switch in on something it resists, get as many SDs as possible, go to town with Bullet Punch. Also does a pretty good number on Psychic-types that Starmie only does neutral damage to (if plenty of it).

Zapdos @ Leftovers
IVs: 31/15/5/31/31/30
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Def 52 / 252 SpAtk / 2 Speed
Moveset:
~ Discharge
~ Heat Wave
~ Hidden Power (Ice 67)
~ Roost

Fairly sure this is a bit sub-par, but it didn't seem to matter. If I could get another for this purpose, I might go Modest instead and lift the speed a bit with EVs. Getting a good Zapdos isn't all that easy. Blasts Bugs, Grasses, Waters, etc to oblivion, and can take a beating. I recall stalling a few things completely out of PP, as well.

Not all that much complication behind this one. I thought Zapdos needed some love, so I grabbed up a bunch of stuff and ran with it. Decent defenses along with massive attacking potential works fairly well in the Battle Tower, as it turns out. I'm pretty sure I could go to 100 with this team, but I just wanted to put Zapdos back on the map somewhere before I really did serious thinking for a team.

Obvious trouble spots are Water/Ground types. Swampert is quite a mighty force. Usually I focus on destroying it with Ice Beam from Starmie and X-Scissor or a well placed boosted Superpower from Scizor.
Other trouble spots are all the multielemental things that pop up, which can deal quite a bit of damage to the entire team since there's Electric for Starmie, Fire for Scizor, Ice for Zapdos. I only got as far as I did by merit of being able to wipe them out faster than they could wipe me out. Definately not a superb team, but quite a bit of fun and still strangely usable.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb12/JulesLetters/BattleTower81.jpg

Battle Castle Single Record: 62, 110 CP

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Moveset:
~ Surf
~ Psychic
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

It costs a bit of CP at the start of each string of seven, but Choice Specs is so worth it for that extra kick that turns so many 2HKOs into 1HKOs. Nothing fancy here. Go fast, hit hard, blast opponents with super effectives.

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 25-26/31/8-9/16-17/17-18/31
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 SpDef / 2 Speed
Moveset:
~ Superpower
~ X-Scissor
~ Bullet Punch
~ Swords Dance

Leftovers instead of Life Orb because the health loss otherwise starts to cost. Switch this in if something needs to be 'sacrificed' for Starmie to change moves. It's surprisingly durable. No need for Jolly because sometimes you'll want to boost opponent levels for the extra CP, and then careful adjustments of speeds to outrun stuff just fall apart. The power is so much more worthwhile in the Battle Castle.

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
Nature: Jolly
IVs: 18/31/00/31/17/31
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Moveset:
~ Aerial Ace
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Fang

Go fast, hit hard, rip things to shreds. Such is the mantra of the land shark. Yache Berry is cheap and effective for keeping Garchomp alive against Ice Shard in the rare cases it just has to stay in, and keeps it in play against weaker Ice-type attacks. It still hates them, though. Outrage is ridiculously powerful, just like Earthquake. Aerial Ace was for Double Teamers, but I used it all of maybe once for a super effective hit on something that wasn't Double Teaming anyway. Fire Fang saw similar disuse. Still, if I had to do it again, I'm not sure what I would replace them with. Swords Dance over one of them, maybe?

The team isn't 'weak' to Water/Grounds, but it isn't especially strong against them. Other than that, I can't say I really had many problems.

Eventually stopped by a team with
942,Suicune 4,Modest,Wacan Berry,207,85,135,156,135,105,Surf,Ice Beam,Extrasensory,Calm Mind,HP/Sp.Attk

I don't remember the details now, and accidentally deleted my video. Nuts.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb12/JulesLetters/BattleCastle62110.jpg

I have to say, I love Battle Castle. 'Arcade Mode' Pokemon is something that should have been done years ago.

Battle Arcade Single Record: 50

Starmie
Moveset:
~ Surf
~ Psychic
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

Even with no item, this thing is still ridiculously good. It suffers a bit from missing some 1HKOs, but it's got enough sturdiness to survive strong hits and still make it to the second attack.

Metagross
Nature: Adamnat
IVs: 31/23/31/19/30/0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Moveset:
~ Bullet Punch
~ Ice Punch
~ Earthquake
~ Explosion

This thing is a wonderful monster. Easy to switch in, deals huge damage to almost anything, and has Explosion for stuff my team can't handle well. The Battle Arcade gives the distinct advantage of being able to see the entire team before going into battle, so knowing when to save the Explosion and when to light the fireworks is an easy choice. Die, Swampert. You don't belong in this world!

Garchomp (M)
Nature: Jolly
IVs: 18/31/00/31/17/31
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Moveset:
~ Aerial Ace
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Fang

I really should have used Swords Dance over Aerial Ace, because Aerial Ace helped all of once. Admittedly Aerial Ace potentially saved me that once, but the raw power would have been useful more often. Not much commentary here. Go fast, shred.

Up to fifty wasn't really hard at all. This team works well. It gets harder when I accidentaly hand myself Iron Balls or status, but I managed to pull through. Match 51 had no effect and it was the team itself that ruined me, and though I suspect I could have played better I have a tough time seeing where.

VS Clown Enzo
756,Metagross 3,Adamant,Occa Berry,155,205,182,103,110,90,Hammer Arm,ThunderPunch,Ice Punch,Aerial Ace,Attk/Def
567,Bronzong 2,Calm,Lum Berry,142,98,168,99,184,53,Dream Eater,Hypnosis,Signal Beam,Trick Room,Def/Sp.Def
809,Alakazam 4,Modest,Expert Belt,130,63,65,205,105,172,Psychic,Shadow Ball,Energy Ball,Focus Blast,Sp.Attk/Speed

Percents are entirely based on visual appearance.

Starmie Surfs Metagross to 53% HP.
Metagross Thunderpunches Starmie to 6 / 138 HP.

Switch Starmie to Garchomp.
Metagross Aerial Aces Garchomp to 118 / 177 HP

Garchomp Earthquakes for the KO.
Enzo sent out Bronzong.

Garchomp Fire Fangs to 80% + Burn.
Bronzong uses Trick Room.
Bronzong is hurt by burn. 74%

Switch Garchomp for Metagross.
Bronzong uses Signal Beam on Metagross, 156 / 187 HP.
Bronzong is hurt by burn. 68%

Bronzong uses Signal Beam on Metagross, 127 / 187 HP.
Metagross uses Ice Punch, takes Bronzong to 56%.
Bronzong is hurt by burn. 50%

Bronzong uses Hypnosis on Metagross.
Metagross is asleep.
Bronzong is hurt by burn. 44%

Bronzong uses Signal Beam on Metagross, 97 / 187 HP.
Metagross is confused.
Metagross woke up.
Metagross uses Ice Punch, takes Bronzong to 32%.
Bronzong is hurt by burn. 26%
Trick Room comes to an end.

Metagross is confused.
Metagross hurts itself, 74 / 187 HP
Bronzong uses Trick room.
Bronzong is hurt by burn. 20%

Bronzong uses Hypnosis on Metagross.
Metagross is asleep.
Bronzong is hurt by burn. 14%

Bronzong uses Signal Beam on Metagross, 43 / 187 HP.
Metagross is asleep.
Bronzong is hurt by burn. 8%

Bronzong uses Signal Beam on Metagross, 43 / 187 HP.
Metagross is asleep.
Bronzong is hurt by burn. 2%

Metagross wakes up, snaps out of confusion, uses Bullet Punch. Bronzong is KOed.
Clown Enzo sends out Alakazam.

Metagross uses Bullet Punch on Alakazam, drops him to 49%.
Alakazam uses Shadow Ball on Metagross for the KO.

I send in Garchomp.
Alakazam uses Psychic for the KO.

I send in Starmie.
Alakazam uses Energy Ball for the KO.

Good game.

Clearly the team has a bit of trouble with bulky steel monsters named Metagross and Bronzong. Alakazam wouldn't have been a problem if Metagross had more health. Oh well.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb12/JulesLetters/BattleArcade50.jpg

Battle Hall Single Record: 173 with Zapdos

Zapdos
IVs: 31/15/5/31/31/30
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Def 52 / 252 SpAtk / 2 Speed
Moveset:
~ Discharge
~ Heat Wave
~ Hidden Power (Ice 67)
~ Roost

@ Charti Berry
Rock, Dark
@ Sitrus Berry
Electric, Water
@ Yache Berry
Ice
@ Charti Berry
Bug
@ Lum Berry
Ghost
@ Sitrus Berry
Dragon, Normal, Psychic, Fighting, Steel, Ground, Fire, Poison, Grass, Flying

Threats:

H423 | Tyranitar | Brave | Quick Claw | Stone Edge | Crunch | Dark Pulse | AncientPower | Atk/SpA

The number one Zapdos crusher. Tyranitar simply wrecks Zapdos. The best you can do is Discharge, hope for Paralysis, and Roost to heal the massive hole in the lightningbird's HP with Stone Edge even with the Charti Berry dropping the power.

H454 | Weavile | Adamant | Focus Sash | Night Slash | Ice Punch | Ice Shard | Quick Attack | Atk/Spd

Faster, and it can Ice Punch a hole through Zapdos quite easily. A real pain. Heat Wave drops it, provided Zapdos can get in two attacks. Thankfully I faced Weavile when going through Ice and not Dark. Facing Weavile and Tyranitar in the same run of 10 is basically game over. It's only possible to defeat at a relatively lower level, because then it falls just a hair short of destroying Zapdos with two attacks. (Or maybe it used Ice Shard for that second attack, my memory's hazy. It was over a hundred battles ago.)

H344 | Armaldo | Adamant | Razor Claw | X-Scissor | Stone Edge | Aqua Tail | Aerial Ace | Atk/Def

It's not faster, but it survives a hit of Discharge. One Stone Edge and Zapdos is a dead bird. Charti Berry or facing a potential OHKO is an easy choice. Discharge is an easy 2HKO on Armaldo in return.

H307 | Lanturn | Modest | Sitrus Berry | Discharge | Brine | Signal Beam | Ice Beam | HP/SpA

This alone made me consider Hidden Power Grass, but Hidden Power Ice has too much else going for it. Smack Lanturn with Heat Wave on turn one. If you're lucky it'll get a burn, but that's not necessary. Roost off the Ice Beams and pray you don't get frozen. Chip away at health. Only luck can let Lanturn actually win provided the Sitrus Berry.

H271 | Raichu | Adamant | Muscle Band | ThunderPunch | Brick Break | Iron Tail | Quick Attack | Atk/Spd

It was faster. It punched me to death the first time around. The second time around, I stalled out ThunderPunch with Roost and proceeded to toast it with Heat Wave once it had nothing getting SE or STAB. Good times. Paralysis is likely to happen, but there's no way to really get around it. Lanturn's the bigger threat.

H386 | Gengar | Timid | Razor Fang | Shadow Ball | Sludge Bomb | Hypnosis | Nightmare | Spd/SpA

Hypnosis is nearly a coin flip in Platinum. Discharge for 2HKO while hoping one of the Hypnosis doesn't hit. Gengar's no fun to face. Thankfully Zapdos can take a hit or two, so even while asleep keep trying to Discharge. Odds work in the thunderbird's favor.

After geting through the first 170, I was hoping to claim 176 like the other 'big dogs', but got shot down by picking Normal thinking I'd face something easy.

H467 | Porygon-Z | Modest | Expert Belt | Tri Attack | Dark Pulse | Psychic | Signal Beam | Spd/SpA

Blasted to pieces by CH Tri Attack. Whoops. Focus Sash is probably a better idea past 170.

On a final note, Swampert is actually not a threat at all. Hit it with Discharge for the first turn, then start Roosting off the damage from Muddy Water. Keep careful count of Muddy Water's PP. Break Substitutes with Hidden Power Ice, but leave Swampert at full HP so Rest will run out of PP faster. Eventually Swampert is forced to Struggle to death.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb12/JulesLetters/BattleHallZapdos173.jpg

Actually, you can't discharge Swampert, as it is part ground, therefore it is actually quite a big threat. And thinking you can stall something out in the battle frontier is just asking for trouble. I think if you want to futher this record, I would surgest air slash (or was it air cutter?) as a optional repacement for one of the moves. i really like Zapdos, but I'm still sr for it on platinum. =/
Actually, the point is to do no damage so Swampert doesn't gain a few extra turns using Rest. I successfully stalled this Swampert into the ground in the Battle Hall. I wouldn't want to try stalling Swamperts in any other facility though, no.

It looks like Zapdos gets Air Cutter. I'm not sure about using it over Roost, but it might work... It doesn't hit very much that Zapdos can't already though, and Roost really saves the day in the case of Swampert and Lanturn.

Peterko, I still cannot get a good picture for proof of my 199 record. (Quite a few pages ago.) I am using a Cannon PowerShot A650 IS. I would think that it is good enough for this, but it is not working. Any advice? (The problem is fuzziness)

Pocket

Is Charizard that is listed on the Battle Hall post really Quiet nature with EVs in Atk and SATk?? It makes no sense...

Jumpman16

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i actually like zapdos's movepool a lot, it's made probably the most consistent strides of any rby pokemon especially in advance and dppt, giving it heat wave and signal beam in pt goes well with roost, extrasensory, discharge, and the comedy ancient power and ominous wind options to go with token hidden power. baton pass obviously isnt a good idea in the hall but it is great elsewhere, as would charge be. air cutter is only "bad" because heat wave now makes it redundant except if you hate breloom and heracross and even then it's a cute doubles move to use on grounds instead of discharge

Is Charizard that is listed on the Battle Hall post really Quiet nature with EVs in Atk and SATk?? It makes no sense...
it actually makes more sense than it seems. charry has a sash and has a hindering speed nature because it not only wants to get into blaze range guaranteed but also use that blast burn at full power after taking a faster, would-be–killing blow. so after the given max SpA and a beneficial SpA nature, EVs in HP, Def or SpD don't jive with wanting to take as much damage as possible with the sash, nor do Speed EVs...so the only thing left is Atk.

then again, they could have just done what they did with flareon:

H395 | Flareon | Mild | Expert Belt | Lava Plume | Quick Attack | Protect | Will-O-Wisp | SpA

and not given charry more than 255 EVs, lol (i hope that's an error but i dont really care)

Record for Battle Arcade: 50

Clearly the team has a bit of trouble with bulky steel monsters named Metagross and Bronzong. Alakazam wouldn't have been a problem if Metagross had more health. Oh well.
good work...i use a similar team in starmie/tyranitar/garchomp that had a lot of trick room bronzong problems. i think that knowing what metagross this was means that you could have gone to garchomp on the thunderpunch and EQed it even knowing it will ice punch you to death, then go to starmie and clean up. bronzong is always 3HKOed by your surf and it might not 2hko with signal beam even with your bad SpD, and either way metagross should be able to take it out without losing more hp than it needs to beat zam with two bullet punches

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm back in the game =]

Active tower streak: 210*

I experimented with Scizor's EVs before settling on 244/196/4/0/60/4. This produces 176/192/121/x/108/86. The SpDef EVs have proved very useful, particularly against psychic trainers. An indication of the added bulk is that substitute will always survive Porygon2's tri attack. All of this comes with little cost to Scizor's offensive power. The only significant loss is that +6 bullet punch now only OHKOs Zapdos around 87% of the time.

Original team write up.

---

673,Alakazam 3,Timid,Wise Glasses,130,63,65,187,105,189,Psychic,Charge Beam,Signal Beam,Grass Knot,Sp.Attk/Speed
This Alakazam has some defense or HP EVs; Scizor's unboosted bullet punch should be a guaranteed OHKO, but it survived with a slither of health.

Edit: I started second guessing myself... not 100% sure if it was Alakazam 2 or 3... I'm useless x)

Pocket

Thanks for the explanation, Jumpman =] Well, I managed a streak of 170 with Togekiss, so I'm relieved. I ended up losing Yawn, because Yawn + Protect only leaves me with two moves, which gives him poor coverage. I ended up replacing it with T-Wave before the final 10 matches. Although Yawn + Protect did help me quite a lot, I think T-Wave would be just as good and less situational. One good thing about Yawn was that evasion / accuracy modifiers does not affect its perfect accuracy. Protect is now removed for Hyper Beam xd; I'm eager to see how much further this Togekiss can continue the streak.

Speaking of Blast Burn Charizard and Hyper Beam Togekiss, I was brainstorming a Blast Burn Infernape!

Infernape @ FSash
Hasty / Naive
most likely max Speed, HP divisible by 4, some Atk, lots of SAtk

Blast Burn
Fake Out
Nasty Plot
Close Combat / Substitute / Earthquake

The strategy is to beat down the opponent with either 2 Close Combats, 1 Close Combat and 1 Blast Burn, or 1 Nasty Plot-boosted, Blaze-activated Blast Burn (150*STAB*Nasty Plot*Blaze = 675-power move!)

Initially I wanted Substitute over Fake Out to provide protection against status, and attacking or boosting up its stats behind the substitute seemed appealing. Most importantly, it is the most reliable way of getting Infernape's health to Blaze-activating range. Kind of defeats the purpose of Focus Sash, but both provides protection in different forms. However, I realized that Fake Out would be great for dispatching FSashes and slightly weakening Pokemon before blowing them away with Blast Burn, increasing the likelihood of a KO.

THere are few difficulties to overcome. Flash Fire pokemon may be a pain if I cannot take them down with 1 Fake Out + 2 CCs. Arcanine, especially have bulkiness and Extremespeed, and that's not looking good for Infernape after the defense drops. Hence, I may utilize EQ when facing Fire Types, hoping that it'll make a difference.

Secondly like Extremespeed, other priority moves could potentially hurt me. As of now, I'm not too worried, because most of them can be dealt with rather easily. The only difficulty I can see is perhaps Aqua Jet Golduck / Empoleon and Quick Attack Vaporeon / Crobat. Perhaps a Passho Berry may come in handy!??

Additionally, there may be a few fire-resisting Pokemon that may survive the 675-powered Blast Burn... Some obvious ones include Kingdra, Omastar, Kabutops, Thick-Fat Snorlax, Tyranitar, and possibly Blissey. I am hoping that Close Combat can at least 2HKO these threats with minimal Atk EVs. I will be disappointed if there are more that can survive... (Latias, Gyarados, Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Suicune and Thick Fat Hariyama and Grumpig would be a pain in the ass if they do live)

Finally, Blast Burn's less-than-perfect accuracy is only compounded when facing Bright Powder / Lax Incense Pokemon, and it is terrible on Pokemon that is faster with Double Team, like Starmie and Crobat. Hopefully, the trainers would simply attack out-right with their SE moves, and I can dispatch them with a Blaze-activated Blast Burn. Aerodactyl is scary, too. Not as easy to pull off as I have initially expected =/

Hey Jumpman, what was the porygon-z you used in the hall?
As another Porygon-Z fan, I am a bit curious to hear but I won't look until I finish my Double Porygon-Z Battle Hall run. I have good hopes I should get high enough to stand close to the ones already posted...nah...let's have some ego and say I'll surpass them, right? :naughty:

So far I'm up to 110 and the only "struggle"s I've had are Magneton but they lacked the power to even take out one of them (even with bullying on just one of them) and Hitmonlee (but I do admit part of it was because both Porygon-Zs were noticably different levels so it was a 2vs1 fight and fixed that problem since <_< At least it answered my question I wondered if they were different levels). I'll be sure to give the full list of what I'm running once my streak ends (but if it isn't soon because I'm kicking so much butt, I won't complain).

Thank you Perterko for posting my record on here. I don't want to be too picky, but the record was 113, not 112 =]

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hahaha...not funny anymore

seriously, I don´t know what to do...if the previous frontier had improved hax in favor of the AI, then on my platinum it´s tripled hax or something

also I hate you jumpman for using a battle armor pokémon...yeah and I officially call you garo the luckiest man alive to get to 413...I mean there is trouble in almost each and every battle I try to set up registeel, mostly after it is set up (the same moveset as you have)...

I build a solid trick team, latias-registeel-garchomp and lose at 76, awesome

ignore how "walrein the brightpowder OHKOer" killed me by itself at like #36 so I had to start all over again before actually playing the trick team...

# 74
I face a latias, trick, get brightpowder (wow I´m lucky), ice beam froze me (guess not)...then I bring registeel who also gets frozen, great...no problem if registeel wasn´t frozen for like 8 turns...registeel is a man and won the battle 3-0

# 75 everyone´s favourite #1 haxer of the world metagross4 a.k.a. motherfucker
QC activates, meteor mash, trick, t-wave, MM dead latias, boost...ok no need to panic as registeel>scizor in the physical "I can take MMs like a man department" ...well, long story short, he got 3 CHs out of the 7 MMs against registeel (7/8 hit), thankfully only the first was unprotected by sub or else I would´ve clearly lost...I don´t know how, but I still set up and then beat garchomp who broke my sub and then a vaporeon´s second surf CHed registeel (I managed 1 iron head), so chomp had to clean up

# 76
CB avatar brave bird I tricked and latias died in 2
set up registeel against it, but was hell...now the obvious move is to sub on the last struggle incase they break your sub, which of course happened
next it only lasted 2 turns...machamp CH cross chop steel dead, machamp CH cross chop garchomp dead (quaked it the same turn)...

I had to put my shoes on and go run for a while until the anger slowly faded away or else the newer DS lite were in danger...

random notes:
- the crazy lapras2 used sing turn1 on my latias, good sign
- the all-time favourite since eme frontier QC rhydon4 horn drills latias...ugh this catches me by surprise or the AI has an accurate built in dmg calc. because my latias´ EV spread is such that I survive a max dmg QC megahorn from this fella with 1 HP :/
- aboma3 used blizzard
- aero3 used crunch
- aero4 used dragon claw
- armaldo4 used x-scissor
- eggy3 used TR
- gengar4 used shadow ball
- hariyama4 used stone edge
- infernape2 used shadow claw
- infernape3 used focus blast
- kingdra4 used DM
- latias3 used ice beam
- ludicolo1 used swords dance
- meta4 used MM
- moltres3 used sky attack
- mr.mime4 used shadow ball
- raikou3 used signal beam
- gigas1 used t-wave
- shiftry3 used dark pulse
- shiftry4 used seed bomb
- shuckle2 used toxic
- skuntank4 used night slash
- snorlax4 used DE
- staraptor4 used brave bird
- vaporeon3 used blizzard
- venusaur4 used sludge bomb

those were the 27 starters I tricked

- also I see no reason for flash on trick latias unless someone tells me a reason it should be there...I use recover right now and it helps me cripple a bit more...maybe light screen or even an attack like DM as sort of last resort if everything goes bad :/
- struggle (always hits) and OHKOs are not affected by flash so why use flash?

this was another "whiny peterko the loser loses early in the tower post"

yeah and my registeel has the largest ever target on its back saying "come on guys, why don´t you try to break my 187-434-744-81-748-60 stats which you can´t lower with a CH before I try a little iron head-butt on you?"

EDIT: Everyone who knows stuff about the frontier, tower, etc. and would like to help us and maybe contribute to smogon, please check out these two topics

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60113
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60119

Jumpman16

So I finally dusted off Pearl and got to battle 500, and decided it was actually worth a warstory. I was challenged by Veteran Mikel, who uses these pokemon:

Veteran Mikel: LEGENDARIES
Articuno 1-4, Zapdos 1-4, Moltres 1-4, Raikou 1-4, Entei 1-4, Suicune 1-4, Regirock 1-4, Regice 1-4, Registeel 1-4, Latias 1-4, Latios 1-4, Heatran 1-4, Cresselia 1-4,Regigigas 1-4

He leads with Regice, which is the worst lead to go against because of Clear Body (can't Flash) and predominantly special attacks I can't address with Reflect. No other Legendary pokemon is "immune to" both Flash and Reflect, meaning I kind of don't care about Registeel's Thunder or Flash Cannon since it is never going to beat Latios even if it doesn't use Curse or Rain Dance first turn (which I doubt). Three Regice have Ice Beam, and one has Leftovers I prefer to take because it turns Ice Beam into a 5-6HKO before possible FPs which can allow Scizor to actually Sub regardless of FPs during Scizor vs. Regice (IB breaks the Sub). I Trick and take Chesto Berry, which is "eh" because I know what I have to do anyway. For posterity this was a 2-in-56 chance of facing a non-Leftovers Ice Beam Regice—Cresselia seriously has no trouble reducing every other Legendary pokemon to setup fodder, a welcome benefit to using Cresselia over Lopunny.

So Trick, TW, can't do anything but sacrifice Cresselia since switching Scizor into IB makes no sense. After four IBs Cresselia offers its still-soothing sigh of a cry...and now I now have a decision to make. I can go to Scizor and SD knowing I can get at least two in before having to attack, or I can go with Latios to purposely try and stall out the rest of the Ice Beams and put either Latios or Scizor in a better position to sweep. I knew I was facing a Ledge Trainer, though, and felt it would be better to have Latios set up or at least waste ALL of Regice's IB PP so Scizor could set up on a Struggling Regice.

Going with Scizor first would mean that worst case I would have a naked Scizor with no boosts, at 25% after four subs (Sitrus), and Regice still with two IBs left. Scizor attacking Regice without at least +2 and a Sub would be out of the question considering how many Water, Electric and Fire Ledges there are (like half of them). Going with Latios first would mean that worst case I waste all of Regice's Ice Beam PP with four Subs and the two it will take to kill Latios after a Rest, then getting to +6 with Scizor then Subbing on the final Struggle or attacking if Regice is FP. Now accounting for the very realistic possibility of FPs makes Latios an even better choice over Scizor, as even a +1 Latios with a Sub has a great chance of beating the same largely elemental Ledges that Scizor has trouble with without full setup.

So I send out Latios.

Latios used Sub/Regice used Ice Beam #5, Sub broken, Latios at 125/154HP
Latios used Sub/Regice used Ice Beam #6, Sub broken, Latios at 96/154HP
Latios used Sub/Regice used Ice Beam #7, Sub broken, Latios at 67/154HP
Latios used Sub/Regice used Ice Beam #8, Sub broken, Latios at 38/154HP

Uh, ok. There's only a 31.6% chance it's not FP in any one of those turns...not really all that haxy but still kinda crappy. It also sucks that I have to Rest now because Latios has 154 HP and not 155, something that has probably only remotely mattered once in what 1,500 battles with this Latios (including my LLL team), since one more Sub would have made a key difference probably. I will note that if I had gone Scizor first I would have been in a worse position, since the worst-case 31.6% actually happened. Anyway, I have to Rest now so I do.

Latios uses Rest/Regice is FP (thanks for being FP now [also this is probably a major reason why Rest>Recover])
Sleep/Regice uses Ice Beam #9, Latios at 20/154HP, 29/154HP after Leftovers
Sleep/Regice is FP, 38/154HP, can't Sub, kinda lame, thanks for not doing literally one damage output less, though there was a 75% chance to do enough with that IB to prevent Sub so yeah
Latios uses Rest/Regice is FP
Sleep/Regice uses Ice Beam #10, 10/154HP, 19/154HP after Leftovers
Sleep/Regice uses Struggle 4/154HP, 13/154HP after Leftovers

Ok, now I have to switch out. To face two Ledges I'd rather have an at-worst +4 Subbed Scizor with a 13/154HP Latios about to wake up than an ~85% naked +1 or Subbed Latios after Rest/Sleep/Sleep/Wake up and CM. Yes, if Regice is FP while Struggling then Latios can be Subbed and at least +1, but why would I bank on an FP now over four more turns of Struggle when Regice wasn't FP in the four turns I really needed it? Nope, move is to switch in Scizor and get as much setup as possible with it, likely losing Sub to kill poke two and at worst majorly denting the third so Latios can awaken and kill. Again, by their nature Scizor and Latios complement each other, and since Scizor is able to at worst 2HKO every ledge with +6 and a Sub ("able" being the operative word there because of Sub) thanks to Bullet Punch, it will be able to do enough to even pokemon like Raikou and Zapdos to have Latios win with unboosted wake-up DP. I purposely made Scizor 107 Speed so it would outspeed all Heatran regardless of random nature and all Suicune that didn't have random beneficial Speed Natures, so the bulkiest pokemon I could face I would be able to use 120 Base Power Superpower on instead of 45 Base Power Bullet Punch.

Nine of the 14 types are OHKOed by +6 Scizor without me losing my Sub (Articuno, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Regigigas, Heatran [one has sash but w/e], Suicune, Latios, and Latias), and the remaining five are all at worst 2HKOed (Moltres, Zapdos, Raikou, Entei and Cresselia). Moltres and Zapdos both die to Superpower and BP where BP sometimes isn't necessary (min/min Zappy always dies and min/min Moltres dies 94.14% of the time) but it doesn't matter because of BP's priority. Raikou and Entei are always faster but always die to even +4 SP, meaning I may opt for Bullet Punch so as not to lose my Sub and/or drop my Attack for at worst the 2HKO (I can CH, they can use stupid moves like Rain Dance or miss with Fire Blast). And Cresselia needs absolute max damage with max SpA EVs neutral nature Psychic to break Scizor's Sub, and only one has max SpA EVs. So nine of the 13 pokes Scizor can face after Regice Struggles to death will not even be able to threaten its Sub. I like my chances.

So I switch Scizor into Regice's second Struggle, Swords Dance on its third Struggle, again on its fourth rolling my eyes at the lack of FPs here too, and Sub as it Struggles away its last 3 HP, rolling my eyes at another "kinda crappy" 31.6% string of four consecutive no FPs. Not to worry, though, since as I just detailed there are only four Ledges of the 13 left that even have a chance to break Scizor's Sub. So naturally:

Veteran Mikel sends out Moltres!

I have to face one of them. Feel kinda annoyed here because the last thing I wanted to see was a Fire-Type, and then I remembered how stupid Pearl was to give not one but two Moltres Brightpowder so I felt even sicker. I reeeeeeally don't feel like losing at 500, so I take a look at my potential opposition to determine my best option with an 81/156, +4 Atk, Subbed Scizor:

897 Moltres Hasty Heat Rock Sunny Day Flamethrower Solar Beam Endure Def/Speed

911 Moltres Mild King's Rock Air Slash Agility Heat Wave Pluck HP/Sp. Def/Speed

925 Moltres Modest Brightpowder Overheat Sky Attack Fireblast U-Turn Atk/Sp. Atk/Sp. Def

939 Moltres Timid Brightpowder Flamethrower Air Slash Will-O-Wisp Double Team Sp. Atk/Speed

After running through a few calcs I realize that the first one will only die to two BPs a little over 1-in-7 times, but will die over half the time to SP+BP, and there's a chance it will Endure I guess. I do exactly 50% min to the second one, so obviously kill 2, 3, and 4 with two Bullet Punches. There is just mathematically a better chance that Bullet Punch is a wiser move than Superpower, especially because even if it's the first one and I don't kill it, it cannot beat Latios heads-up unless it uses Sunny Day on a 13/154HP Latios (incredibly unlikely as it would probably attack a low-HP poke) that will Rest, then CHes Latios twice in a row in his sleep with Flamethrower. So Bullet Punch it is.

Scizor uses Bullet Punch, miss/Moltres uses Overheat, hits, SpA drop, breaks Substitute

Oh. Okay. I kinda snorted in laughter when I didn't see Moltres flash on my screen (animations are off), expecting in the millisecond longer Pearl's delay is than Platinum's for me to hit, and denying that I could actually have been Brightpowdered by one of the only pokemon that could threaten me with Super Effective Damage and have a chance to live to tell the tale the next turn (read: no Entei survive +4 Superpower and Heatran also has to Brightpowder me since the Sash one dies to BP the next turn). Shaking my head, I do the only thing I can and BP.

Scizor uses Bullet Punch, miss/Moltres uses Overheat, hits, SpA drop, Scizor faints

Oh. I kind of expected that, to be honest...call it Murphy's Law, call it an AI that is extremely unlikely to be "fair" after thousands and thousands of battles played by observant and unpessimistic Battle Tower/Frontier enthusiasts, even go so far as to call it a "guarantee" that there was no way the AI was letting me get a streak of 500 if it could do anything about it, which, against this team, it literally sometimes cannot even if it CHes every single turn if one of the remaining pokes doesn't have Brightpowder or Focus Band. I simply call it retarded.

I'm not dead yet, though, as Latios is about to wake up, and perhaps the Moltres won't use U-turn.

Latios wakes up, uses Rest/Moltres uses Fire Blast, misses

Okay then I guess...now you miss. This is a ray of hope, since it might not want to use U-turn for some reason. Sky Attack is stronger, anyway...

Latios is asleep/Moltres started to glow!

Haha what? The hope grows...I run the calc deliberately, and find that Sky Attack not only won't kill if it hits, but does 73-86%, which, coupled with the chance Sky Attack misses, is a 71.875% chance Latios will get a Sub up the next turn...

Latios is asleep/Moltres used Sky Attack! It's a critical hit! Latios fainted!

...or a 0% chance I win because of the CH chance.

Okay, so let's recap:
  • 3.571429% (2-in-56) chance of facing a non-Leftovers Ice Beam Regice (Cresselia owns literally everything else)
  • 31.640625% chance Regice is not FP at least once in first four consecutive turns against Latios
  • 31.640625% chance Regice is not FP at least once in first four consecutive turns against Scizor...this one didnt matter in hindsight since i couldn't hit moltres lol so i can leave it out)
  • 76.5625% chance Regice does enough with Ice Beam #9 to prevent Latios from Subbing to block Ice Beam #10 and setting up even one CM for a very likely win
  • 3% chance Scizor even has to face a Brightpowder or Lax Incense pokemon where two misses even poses trouble (it will kill literally everything else, the BP Heatran has to hit twice with Magma Storm at least and I'd probably Sub after the first BP miss if it hits with Magma Storm but whatever, the other BP pokes aren't as bad even if I get BPed twice cause they can't OHKO or even 2HKO Scizor and/or 13/154 about-to-wake-up Latios beats them anyway)
  • 10% chance I get Brightpowdered by Moltres
  • 90% chance it hits with Overheat
  • 10% chance I get Brightpowdered by Moltres
  • 90% chance it hits with Overheat
  • 28.125% chance Moltres both hits with and does enough damage with Sky Attack to prevent a Crucial Sub
  • 6.25% chance that this is a CH (these last two points are separate since I still have an outside shot of winning if it doesn't CH)
"Add" this all up and you have a 0.00000369557% chance of a loss. It was seriously that improbable that my team would lose this battle the way it unfolded, as all of those percentages matter. And actually, if Regice CHes Cresselia on any of the first three turns, I would have gone with Scizor first and started to Swords Dance because I know I can't stall out all of Regice's Ice Beams.

Meaning that, even when I SD twice naked with Scizor because I have to and kill Regice with Bullet Punch, and get Brightpowdered by Moltres, I will then know which Moltres it is and what to do, so when I send out my 100% HP Latios, I will Calm Mind since I know Sky Attack is coming, then Sub on the same CH Sky Attack, then Calm Mind again on a likely second Sky Attack (it will use its strongest attack, not U-turn, as U-turn wouldn't even kill the 81.25% Latios), then Sub, then realize I should probably attack to have enough HP to beat mystery third poke, miss my second time to Brightpowder as it glows again (because I'm still not in U-turn's kill range), then hit with DP and do 101.82% min for the kill, and have 81.25% HP to take on a Ledge I literally probably beat at +2 SpA/SpD even without a sub.

So the loss was actually less likely than that minuscule above number. If Regice CHes with any of its first three Ice Beams, I would actually have been MORE likely to win. It gets a little fuzzy with the chance Regice freezes Cress with the first IB and she doesn't thaw to Thunderwave it, and gets CHed at least once in the next two turns, AND Regice also freezes Scizor, because that sucks too. But even then, it will have to IB Scizor four times (without a CH) and have it not thaw, meaning Latios can still Sub on the last three Ice Beams and CM like twice before Subbing on a Struggle that won't break its Sub. Then kill Regice, and have room to still miss Moltres once as it uses Sky Attack (it still probably wont U-turn), miss again as the Sub breaks with the same CH, then Sub again as Moltres does whatever. "I probably won't get Brightpowdered three times" and I'll have a +2 Latios with kinda low HP but "a chance" to kill the last poke. Let's just say that the ~82% chance Regice doesn't CH with the first three Ice Beams can be bumped to 90% to account for the chance it freezes Scizor or freezes Cress with the very first IB.

So, for some numbers, 1 in 280,000 people get struck by lightning in a year, which is a 0.000357% chance. 90% of 0.00000369557 is 0.00000332603%. Therefore, the way I lost this battle was literally 100 times less likely than me being struck by lightning in a year (107.335 times to be "exact").

Ok lol, for some perspective, this battle happened over a week ago—I have not been angrily typing and calculating all this stuff for like 12 hours straight, I've instead typed very slowly a few minutes here and there, so as not to completely justify a further waste of time. and no, i dont need quite that much luck to go against me to lose even with my CLS team. i did need that much luck to go against me to lose that particular battle, though, as ive clearly laid out.

so basically i feel cheated to hell and that there is no longer any reason to have mercy on the Platinum AI by not using my best team since "fun" is relative. this loss can either teach me that the bt is inherently a stupid luck-based game i shouldn't waste time on or that because of that fact I should only use the teams which best reduce that luck because "fun" is relative!

lol "either". i'll opt to listen to the latter of course, though it's not a waste of time to play in my car

99.9% of my anger is because this cut my streak at 499 and not 500, i'd gladly say "lol what the fuck ever bye forever pearl" if i'd lost at 501. "good luck" to anyone who wants to take a crack at 500 in pearl

i mean an hour or so later after it happened i didn't feel nearly as bad and realize that this would be like tiger woods really venting that he missed a final-round 59 in a major because his 35-foot putt barely grazed some other player's ball mark on the way to the hole and missed like an inch because of that, but still.

i guess peterko and i are whiners.

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/picture072u.jpg/

"lol 499"

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ah, poor Jumpman, 1 battle away is always the worst. It would be kinda cool if you did get struck by lightning(and survive) this year as well. Those percentages must have taken a lot of calculating. At least now you can get to work on the platinum frontier:P

I will be getting to work soon on some pokemon for the frontier(by that I mean stealing your sss team).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)