Die, Lull. Die!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The purpose of this topic is to think of new and preferably organized way to kill the lull we have on the server.

All Suggestions should thus be centered around increasing Server traffic and/or activity.

Every time a CAP ends we end up with a lull in activity. Unfortunately this is a self-fulfilling phophesy, as follows:

1. Server battling activity goes down
2. Less people come to the server
3. Repeat.

Granted our Server is topical and an aside form Smogon's server, but we would attract more of the people integral to playtesting if we could maintain a solid interest during the interim time.

One suggestion: Power Hour

A Power Hour would be an allotted time where players would promise to Ladder on a regular basis. We could implement it with the help of a CAP Activities Calendar. I haven't researched what kind of website we could use to this effect, but if we could we could sticky a link to it at the top of the Forum. I'm not sure how possible it would be to have rolling announcements as well.

In either case it would be a good time to test new teams and to explore the metagame under a variety of conditions. Different Time Zones make this difficult but there's no reason we couldn't group users into different regional areas. For example the US has 3 hours between Eastern and Pacific Time, which makes 6-9PM(EST) generally available for most US residents.

Previous activities that helped:

Mini-tournaments:

Spontaneous themed tournaments with a specific niche, tier, etc.

When we have actual activity these are great, but because they are currently spontaneous they need actual participants who aren't CAP vets shooting the breeze and idling.

Weather Playtesting:

This happened back during CAP3 and we tested whether or not a mini-Drizzle or Drought would be too broken. Naturally we can't revisit these tests but it would be cool if we had Playtest recycling. The difference between this and our recent playtest marathon is that it wouldn't be consecutive. We could also do it on a Theme Playtest Ladder provided we get the prerequisite users coming in. This is a problem Little Cup faces as well, since if anything it diverts the already low traffic.

Please offer suggestions and help organize.

This is Project: Die, Lull. Die! (Or DLD. Not to be confused with DJD)

I think an ongoing think tank would be cool. Have an open discussion on random ideas, concepts, sprites, stuff like that which happens continuously. If we can stockpile all of this, we could greatly increase the output of CAPs in sheer quantity which could lead to a very competitive ladder.

Basically, throughout the whole CAP process, we have ideas, art, etc, added to a "library" that, by the end of the CAP could contain a whole other CAP's worth of ideas.

What do you think?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think an ongoing think tank would be cool. Have an open discussion on random ideas, concepts, sprites, stuff like that which happens continuously. If we can stockpile all of this, we could greatly increase the output of CAPs in sheer quantity which could lead to a very competitive ladder.

Basically, throughout the whole CAP process, we have ideas, art, etc, added to a "library" that, by the end of the CAP could contain a whole other CAP's worth of ideas.

What do you think?
The thrust of the topic was ideas to enhance Doug's Create-a-Pokemon Server traffic. If I did not make that clear in the first sentence I will edit in something bolded.

#cap is basically already a think tank. This is about what we can do to make the Server more lively. We've no shortage of places to discuss ideas. In fact, the Server has largely devolved into that as a sort of second #cap.

Which isn't, ultimately, the CAP Server's purpose.

The thrust of the topic was ideas to enhance Doug's Create-a-Pokemon Server traffic. If I did not make that clear in the first sentence I will edit in something bolded.

#cap is basically already a think tank. This is about what we can do to make the Server more lively. We've no shortage of places to discuss ideas. In fact, the Server has largely devolved into that as a sort of second #cap.

Which isn't, ultimately, the CAP Server's purpose.
Right but speaking as a casual user, I've never been to #cap and I would imagine other casual users don't frequent there either. I think it would be more convenient and organized to have an archive of this since then random users could try to get an idea in without waiting for the next CAP. This is basically what I was waiting for around halfway through CAP 8, but since I am a big fan of this concept, I stuck it out. I doubt others are so easily convinced and could use a place to post their random thoughts.

Don't forget, people who get into the process will eventually get onto the server and an easy way for them to feel like they are contributing will help them get into the process. That's what I feel at least.

CAP Trivia Games

This suggestion is basically like having mini-tournaments, except it's asking questions about CAP/Pokemon/etc instead. This will definitely attract users that are unfamiliar with CAP and how things work, so they will gain a better understanding by playing games. We can even keep a leaderboard, like we did with the mini-tournaments and keep track of the winners. We can have hosts (probably the mods or really well-known CAP members) and we'll have the rest of the server as participants.

That's all I can think about for now, I guess the idea might work, I'm not sure.

I actually like the idea of a Power Hour, and especially the rebirth of mini-tournaments. They used to be HUGE back when CAP first started, and I feel that not only would the server boom with population again, it would be a great way to reduce the extensive idleness we sometimes (regularly) encounter on the server.

speaking as a casual user, I've never been to #cap and I would imagine other casual users don't frequent there either.
Everyone else who's posted in this thread is a #cap regular. (actually, both of the quotes in my signature are from #cap.)

Power Hour is a cool idea, but I'm not sure that everyone (including myself) would be able to maintain a time every day to ladder. I'm all for trying this, but I'm not so sure it would work.

One thing that draws people to our server is the Little Cup niche we have, as well as the quiet environment (compared to SU, CAP is a great server on which to hold major tournament battles). Maybe we could implement another niche leaderboard to attract another group of players.

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
Back a few months ago, evil_lord(now known as coronis) used to host trivia night every once in a while, but that only lasted like 1 week, which the only participants being me and lJLeeRSX and a few others... Maybe something similar to that, or what fuzz has said could come up.

Everyone else who's posted in this thread is a #cap regular. (actually, both of the quotes in my signature are from #cap.)

Power Hour is a cool idea, but I'm not sure that everyone (including myself) would be able to maintain a time every day to ladder. I'm all for trying this, but I'm not so sure it would work.

One thing that draws people to our server is the Little Cup niche we have, as well as the quiet environment (compared to SU, CAP is a great server on which to hold major tournament battles). Maybe we could implement another niche leaderboard to attract another group of players.
Yes, I completely understand this. You, Fuzznip, cyberzero and Deck Knight are CAP names you just have to know. I just feel we are missing a demographic. Notice how only the big time members, besides me, are contributing here? Where are the newbies? Why aren't we asking them what they would like to see? What would bring them here? Perhaps some sort of informal survey will help us get good ideas instead of just thinking what would be good since we are biased as CAP frequenters.

Even now, I feel like my opinion is being discounted readily, which, if I were new, would totally turn me off from being a member here, I think that has to change.

I think the easiest way is to have regular tournaments somehow endorsed by Smogon. Back in the day (RSE) people played GSC and RBY regularly-ish. Nowadays I think most players would puke if they had to make it through a gsc game. Back in ADV the tour was a huge incentive to learn the old genres. Obviously you can't get the tour but even "off season tours" are very popular. People will play anything that has a regular chance to get some recognition attached to it. Run a tourny every sunday and people will come.

I just remembered an idea that has been brought up in a policy review thread (I think it was) a while back.

CAP Tutoring Program

Newbies will obviously have trouble in figuring out which CAP to choose, how to use it, what's it good for, what movesets to run, etc. If we can start up the CAP tutoring program, it will greatly increase CAP's population and popularity in general, and it's a fantastic way to get newbies started in the CAP metagame.

The tutors will obviously be the moderators, and probably the drivers of HAL, as they tend to have the most experience/knowledge about CAP from the beginning to end.

This idea must be looked in to, as it will be an excellent addition to the CAP server.

I just remembered an idea that has been brought up in a policy review thread (I think it was) a while back.

CAP Tutoring Program

Newbies will obviously have trouble in figuring out which CAP to choose, how to use it, what's it good for, what movesets to run, etc. If we can start up the CAP tutoring program, it will greatly increase CAP's population and popularity in general, and it's a fantastic way to get newbies started in the CAP metagame.

The tutors will obviously be the moderators, and probably the drivers of HAL, as they tend to have the most experience/knowledge about CAP from the beginning to end.

This idea must be looked in to, as it will be an excellent addition to the CAP server.
That is a fantastic idea. I can imagine even having Tutor/Tutee CAP submissions. Every CAP round could have it's own process and smaller, battle/team only ones in between.

Very good!

Mini-tournaments:

Spontaneous themed tournaments with a specific niche, tier, etc.

When we have actual activity these are great, but because they are currently spontaneous they need actual participants who aren't CAP vets shooting the breeze and idling.

I actually like the idea of a Power Hour, and especially the rebirth of mini-tournaments. They used to be HUGE back when CAP first started, and I feel that not only would the server boom with population again, it would be a great way to reduce the extensive idleness we sometimes (regularly) encounter on the server.
Cyber pretty much said it for me there. The CAP MTs were great back in the day, it kept the server active and a good rate and were fun at the same time. The rebirth of the MTs is something I would support.

CAP Trivia Games

This suggestion is basically like having mini-tournaments, except it's asking questions about CAP/Pokemon/etc instead. This will definitely attract users that are unfamiliar with CAP and how things work, so they will gain a better understanding by playing games. We can even keep a leaderboard, like we did with the mini-tournaments and keep track of the winners. We can have hosts (probably the mods or really well-known CAP members) and we'll have the rest of the server as participants.

That's all I can think about for now, I guess the idea might work, I'm not sure.
There's also Fuzznip's idea. Challenging users knowledge about the CAP Metagame and maybe a little about the other metagames, would actually be fun while new users will learn a little about the CAP Project. It might be a great way for the CAP Server to gain attraction.

CAP Tutoring Program

I remember this idea. I forgot the reason why it was canceled or put on hold. Though I think anyone with a great knowledge of the OU Metagame won't have any trouble learning the CAP metagame.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Mini tournaments are the best idea so far, probably the only thing i'd think of participating in. Trivia games and other ideas like that aren't very appealing to me.

Mini tournaments are the best idea so far, probably the only thing i'd think of participating in. Trivia games and other ideas like that aren't very appealing to me.

Yes, I agree with Locopoke. The only problem is, is that there will be a lot of stress on the TD(Tournament Director). The job will probably be a fatiguing one for anyone who is TD. Constants PMs about "When are you gonna update the leaderboard?????" will be annoying, and this is why the MTs were canceled in the first place.

I think if the Mini Tournaments are to be revived, I think people should just be patient and let the TD update the leaderboard when he/she gets a chance.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Yes, I agree with Locopoke. The only problem is, is that there will be a lot of stress on the TD(Tournament Director). The job will probably be a fatiguing one for anyone who is TD. Constants PMs about "When are you gonna update the leaderboard?????" will be annoying, and this is why the MTs were canceled in the first place.

I think if the Mini Tournaments are to be revived, I think people should just be patient and let the TD update the leaderboard when he/she gets a chance.
With any kind of tournament there are always going to be morons who pester you constantly and other shit like that. Make sure you choose a tournament director who can actually host tournaments and part of hosting tournaments is being able to handle stupid people asking stupid questions and being annoying. With the right management and tournament directors I am sure this will work out.

With any kind of tournament there are always going to be morons who pester you constantly and other shit like that. Make sure you choose a tournament director who can actually host tournaments and part of hosting tournaments is being able to handle stupid people asking stupid questions and being annoying. With the right management and tournament directors I am sure this will work out.
We already have a great Tournament Director(Bass). And also the job of hosting the Tournaments mainly goes to the TOs(Tournamnet Organizers). They do all the hosting of Tournaments and PMs the Tournament Director to update the leaderboard.

For people who wants to support the rebirth of the MTs, look up this thread first.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mini tournaments are the only things suggested so far that would garner long-term participation. Pour Hours would get old too quickly, the isn't enough CAP trivia. CAP is too similar to OU to need its own tutoring program.

I was actually going to bring up tournaments the other day. I know Bass is pretty busy, so I would always be up for hosting those on a biweekly basis or something.

Yeah. The trivia would get old, since their are only so many questions you could ask, and having new questions takes time. Stellar is right about the tutoringprogram, CaP is OU with the Pokemon we created. So basically, their exactly the same, you just have some new options for existing roles.

But weekly(/bi-weekly) tournaments would bring many people over. We would have certain ideas, or just a regular CaP tournament. By making tournaments weekly(or bi-weekly) would allow the tournament director to have time to update the leaderboard.

And the last idea would be to add a ladder for an uncommon tier. Little Cup is uncommon, and it has it's own ladder. Maybe we could have a ladder for another rare tier (Ubers).

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Maybe we could have a ladder for another rare tier (Ubers).
Very interesting idea and I am in full support of it. I am on the cap server most of the time and when I wanna play Ubers it's annoying to have to go to SU because it usually lags me. Having an ubers ladder on cap will definetely attract a new crowd and get the server more activity.

I asked Doug about the implementing the Ubers ladder a while back. The only problem is that there aren't enough people that would want to ubers in CAP Server. Well that was the answer I got. But I've been seeing a decent amount more of the CAP regulars playing ubers, and it will attract some attention from outside the CAP Server.

I asked Doug about the implementing the Ubers ladder a while back. The only problem is that there aren't enough people that would want to ubers in CAP Server. Well that was the answer I got. But I've been seeing a decent amount more of the CAP regulars playing ubers, and it will attract some attention from outside the CAP Server.
Aswell as the fact we could encourage people to use existing CaPs in Ubers (Kitsunoh especially would be interesting).

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Can we wait to bring up server traffic for the regular CAP ladder before making CAP Ubers? There's only been one person who I've seen even mention a CAP Uber's ladder before this, so it's not like people are begging for it.

Regarding Mini-tournaments, they were phased out because of a lack of interest, and the scoreboard had to be updated regularly. However if they were scheduled instead of "whenever", there would be a ton more server traffic on those times. There are a bunch of ways these could be implemented.

Finally, regarding the rest of the ideas. There isn't much else to say, they're unnecessary and won't bring in people. (How much trivia does CAP have that's not clique-related?)

Reading through the begining of this thread, the only thing mentioned that seems engaging to me (a non-cap user) is mini-tournaments. That's actually a good idea, as oposed to something like CAP trivia where only seasoned users would be excited.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Maybe the Mini-Tournaments could be revived in a fashion similar to how the current Late-Night Tournies are held? I remember TAY saying that he hosted them prior to them going official on Smogon. Something like that would be nice for the CaP server, only, well, CAP-ized. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)