Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - September 2009

Damn... what's it going to take to stop Scizor? With it doing so well in ubers do you think it will ever go uber? Probably not, but it's a thought.

It seems that Alakazam is just above the UU line this month, while Rhyperior is just below it. Everything above Alakazam is still technically OU for now.. Including Crobat, Roserade, Heracross, and Umbreon.
Lets hold off on this until X-Act posts the tier lists just in CASE there is a mistake with the math some of you are doing. Nothing has changed tiers until X-Act posts the official list.

Damn... what's it going to take to stop Scizor? With it doing so well in ubers do you think it will ever go uber? Probably not, but it's a thought.
Just because a pokemon can be successful in ubers it doesn't mean it's going to be banned from the OU tier unless it's obviously too strong, and Scizor isn't.

I'm surprised that Honchkrow dropped in usage. After all that talk about how Brave Bird rapes everything in the HG/SS Competitive Discussion thread, I was expecting it to be in the top 5 at least.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Same. Honckrow should be used more, its much more broken than before and should be suspect in the next round test. More usage on it people

Just because a pokemon can be successful in ubers it doesn't mean it's going to be banned from the OU tier unless it's obviously too strong, and Scizor isn't.
I am aware of that. However, in my opinion, Garchomp was not too strong for OU either. I'm just saying that for Scizor to stop doing so well in OU it will probably have to be banned.

Hmm... Unless my calculations are wrong, a pokémon, this month, is OU if it's used in over ~24267 battles (1/20th of 485,335 = 24266.5, according to my calculator).

That means Crobat barely makes it into OU, with Alakazam and Rhyperior dropping out of OU, and into UU. That is, if I calculated correctly.
Your calculation is wrong. The actual OU cutoff is at 3.4% (at least, that's what it ends up being when you run the calculation). That means Umbreon, Crobat, Alakazam, and Rhyperior are all under the line this month. Also, for the future, remember to use only the OU battles in your calculation. The total battles also includes the ~100,000 UU, Uber, and unrated battles.

However, the tiers are a weighted average over the past three months, meaning Umbreon may hold its position. Crobat isn't going into OU this time, but, yeah, Alakazam and Rhyperior are probably going into UU.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am aware of that. However, in my opinion, Garchomp was not too strong for OU either. I'm just saying that for Scizor to stop doing so well in OU it will probably have to be banned.
I get what you are saying with Scizor and it's more of a pondering thing...but Garchomp was too strong for OU...it is bulkier than Swampert, faster than mence, SR Resistant, access to SD, and 2 great Stabs

Scizor isn't going to banned from OU no matter how much usage it gets, unless it's proven to be broken (which will probably never happen). Wobbuffet had very low usage when it was banned iirc.

Seems like September is a big month for stats.

Scizor jumps 3% and Salamence dives 1%. My avatar does not lie, Scizor World is digging its roots into DppT. And now, Heatran, the Rotom crew, and Latias slowly creep up onto the top three spots.

Empoleon jumps from 21st to 20th top lead, but not much change for Roserade and Smeargle. :(

Speaking of Roserade, (s)he stands strong at 40th top Standard Usage. Crobat soars up while Heracross crawls below. Rhyperior and Alakazam remain in their new found home. Finally, the new kid on the block Aggron sits at 85th top Standard Usage. I personally have found no success with Aggron on my side or the opponent's side. Others, may think otherwise, but I'll wait until next month to check up on him.

With new tier lists right around the corner, I thank you Doug, superb work!

Roserade is leaving UU.... thats like taking Scizor straight out of OU; it will have a huge effect. Milotic will be even more unbreakable, and Vennusaur and Leafeon are the only offensive grasses left.
Also, where the hell did Crobat come from?!
Sceptile is still very usable down there. :O

Registeel making it to number one in UU and Roserade falling to fourth are the biggest surprises to me. The increase in Mismagius was expected though.
Yeah that surprised me too. I think that its mainly because people were anticipating Roserade leaving the tier, and then stopped using it. Yanmega dropped 2% for the same reason, I think.

Thanks for the stats doug!

Registeel seems to be the king of UU now thanks to the rise of missy,Roserade at #40...intresting,maybe it will go to OU.

Empoleon useage keeps going up, I wonder how far it will go before it stops. I still rember when empoleon was bl and rarely ever use but now it's getting the reconition it deserves but not from me I stoped using it a long time ago.

10% of Mewtwos in Ubers use Psychic. This is why people shouldn't rush into Uber play.

I'm predicting Roserade and possibly Crobat becoming OU and Alakazam and Rhyperior becoming UU.
Why so? Psychic is nessecary on t6he Specs set; also, why not Psycho Boost Deoxys?
---
LOL, who used Mamoswine without EQ or it's Oblivious trait...Scizor is still number 1#...

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why so? Psychic is nessecary on t6he Specs set; also, why not Psycho Boost Deoxys?
---
You've clearly never played Ubers. Psychic is the worst Attacking type in Ubers, period. Mewtwo does NOT need it for the specs set, as it has Aura Sphere/Ice Beam/SelfDestruct/Fire Blast/Grass Knot/Thunder as options.

It's no surprise to see Crobat #50 in OU usage. More and more people see how it fares - much better than what they think imo.

Anyway, one of the most exciting things about these is actually the peak of usage in UU - 5 Pokemon so neck-to-neck and ever changing. Roserade dropped from #1 to #4 for example.

In Ubers lead stats, Deo-e and Deo-f are ever changing as well, and it looks like Deo-e won't drop again.

Scizor wouldn't make it to Ubers. The fact that is has a solid counter in Gyarados (and more or less Magnezone, however it is still weak to one of it's moves) means that it is not broken. This is why Gyarados usage is rising.

Does Anyone else think eventually UU should have its tier list frozen.
What do you mean? The tiers are based on usage. If something doesn't maintain the usage to be OU, then it will go down to UU. Thus, if something doesn't maintain the usage to be OU, it will fall down to UU. I see no reason to keep UU frozen and just default-ban anything that comes down to it after that point. If something falls down to UU, it should be given a shot, especially since it's not like something like Salamance will actually be falling down; if it's broken, oh well, ban it; otherwise, great, UU has a new Pokemon. Doing otherwise will just lead to the same problems that caused us to have a gigantic Borderline list in the first place. So, I can see no reason to make the UU list frozen.

UU stats really aren't surprising at all. Registeel, Milotic and Mismagius are the three most predicted Pokemon on any standard team that you run into right now - to the point that it sickens me. Donphan is up there in response to Registeel IMO, and will continue to do so. It will be interesting to see the stats for this month with regards to Mismagius. The HG/SS moves were only introduced towards the end of September, yeah? It doesn't give a true indication of how much people were running Nasty Plot, which since it was introduced, has had a lot of people on the back foot.

Roserade going into OU will change a lot of things, particularly on the lead front IMO. The fear of being hit with a barrage of Toxic spikes from turn two is something that a lot of team builders must take into consideration.

Heracross in UU would be madness, and would really shake the place up. That said, he would be far from an answer to the likes of Registeel and team, who have so many resistances to come in on. They are designed to draw the likes of Heracross into the open, and hitting them with Thunder Wave on the switch.
Does Anyone else think eventually UU should have its tier list frozen.
Absolutely. When everyone is in 100% agreeance that the tier is fine and there are no issues, and the metagame is likely to remain fluid and not stagnate around one strategy.

Which is never.

Thank you a lot Doug. I had been waited for these every day since 1st october.

Anyway there arent many changes in the usage. I see though a big increase in Roserade's usage in OU and a small decrease in UU.

Heracross in UU would be madness, and would really shake the place up. That said, he would be far from an answer to the likes of Registeel and team, who have so many resistances to come in on. They are designed to draw the likes of Heracross into the open, and hitting them with Thunder Wave on the switch.
Honestly, it's pointless to theorymon this, since we have another three months, minimum. Plus, Flame Orb Cross neuters T-Wave - if you switch in right.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Scizor's usage, in and of itself, has no bearing on its "uber-ness". It just means that Scizor is really useful in a lot of situations and team concepts. It does not mean that Scizor is overpowered for OU. Scizor's massive usage COULD be an indicator of centralization, but we really have no firm definition of "over-centralization". Without a reasonable definition, then we can't really argue whether OU is over-centralized or not.

But, my eyes pop out when I see a pokemon with a 12% usage gap over the pokemon right below it in the usage list. When that pokemon is at the TOP of the usage list? -- my eyes pop out even further.

I have an easier time accepting, for example, Kyogre's 15% usage lead on the uber field -- because ubers is an intentionally unbalanced metagame. But OU is a balanced metagame. By "balanced", I do not mean that usage is forced to be balanced, so please don't misinterpret my words here. Just because one pokemon is used disproportionately more than others, that does not mean that the metagame is unbalanced. HOWEVER, in a supposedly balanced metagame, I tend to believe that usage should probably be distributed in a relatively uniform way. Since the very top of the OU usage list is NOT uniform, it makes me question the reasons for that.

My tendency is to believe that Scizor is just a "perfect storm" as an OU pokemon. It has a near-perfect combination of power, utility, and weakness. No other pokemon is like it. It isn't uber, it's just "perfect for OU".

If Heracross does drop to UU one day, and it's presence there truly does cause havoc, then it'll just be banned.

There's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)