CAP 9 CAP 9 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINAL SUBMISSION

Supporting material: actually just some rough sketches.

RUN DELIBIRD RUN (aka, CAP9 used Pursuit!)

chillin like a villain

The sadistically capricious and unpredictable Quasimanticore hunts the desert sands in the cool of the night, preying on the unwary. Though powerful enough to challenge many creatures in open combat, it more often prefers to toy with those unfortunate enough to come across it, stripping away their defenses one by one before finishing them off or steering them to ruin, the better to inspire fear and despair. It may even deign to lure or drive its prey to its doom into the embrace of another predator, then scavenge the remains or make the other predator its next target!

Its ever-present fanged grin is a sight to strike fear into any heart.

And if anyone's seen that smile fall, well.

They're not talking.

It's so awesome looking Mutant! My favorites so far are yours and Dougs, and it's gonna be tough to choose between them all.

Final Submission

Welcome to the dark spiky abyss. On dark unsuspecting nights, this pit of doom ravages unwelcome desert dwellers, grasping, groping, dragging them into its tooth-spinning mouth of Pokemon shredding. Watch out, dudes. Watch out.

Oh, btw, first post. :p

Final Submission

-General Description-

The Turtlemid is a Pokemon that has been around since prehistoric times, so it's quite rare to find. It lives in hot, desert areas and is a very creative hunter. It prefers to let it's prey come to it rather than pursue the prey. To attract its prey, its uvula (aka the dangly bit at the back of your throat) has the appearence of a hessian sack full of Pokedollars. It half-buries itself into the ground so that only its shell and its gaping mouth (the 'entrance to the pyramid') can be seen, and waits for an unwary traveller to grab onto the uvula and... well, you can guess what happens from there.

Turtlemids mainly eat humans, but wild Meowth often can't restrain themselves and jump right into its mouth :)

-Typing-

The Turtlemid gets its -GROUND typing because of where it lives (deserts) and obviously the giant pyramid that it its shell. It receives its -DARK typing from its other colours and because when not hunting, it lives in burrows deep underground.

-Dex Entry-
This V
According to legend, the Egyptians modeled their famous pyramids after this pokemon's shell.

Or this V
Wild MEOWTH are attracted to this pokemon's uvula, which appears to be a sack full of pokedollars.

Supporting Art (traveller about to be eaten)

I would have liked to have done some more supporting art, but oh well.

Final Submission

OK, I'm going with my sad tall mammal design.

Despite it being so thin ,when it stops with its big feet and enormous weight, it can create great earthquakes.
It drains the sadness from every living thing around it, the sad emotions keeps the sand on its body together so it won't collapse.
If the sand patches covers half of its body, it will search for depressed Pokemon or even humans to feed on their emotions.
No matter how much the Pokemon feed, it's front feet can't never loose their sand texture.

Supporting Material...

I'll try to post some supporting material if I find time ;)

No one really showed any interest in the sketches I posted so I guess I'll try and come up with some stuff next time.

Final Submission

Supporting Material:
Dynamic?
Uh-uh
Whoa
Original_Pic

So this is it, my CAP9 submission.

-Its Dark because its an evil monkey.
-Its Ground because it walks on the ground and has earthy tones.
-It looks Physically biased.
-Its bulky.

Anyways, I apologize for the crap that I made. I'm personally not impressed with how it came out, and my laziness will be the death of me.

Hope you like it.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
You know Elegy, not saying it isn't good, but it certainly seems less inspired than your Kitsunoh Design. :(

KoA, Its true I was a little uninspired by the other submissions, and i'm really pathetically lazy. I'm sorry if I came out as a disappointment to everyone, but I can't really further expand on this concept of mine. Also, its the last day for submissions and I just ran out of time. You can count on me to vote for others, but we will just have to see what happens during the poll.

=<

I'm also thinking about taking up spriting, considering my past 3 submission were done on MSpaint. So we'll see how that goes.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Main Design

Supporting Material

Backstory
The pre-evolution of this species is a docile bovine creature, that was hunted to the point that it was thought to be extinct. But a small herd was left intact, and it grew and evolved. Then one day, a new evolution of bovine tribal warrior appeared on the plains of Sinnoh. It is far from docile, and is willing to protect itself from any and all threats. Beware to all those who inflicted hardship on the species in the past -- the hunted has become the hunter!

Design Goals
This design is supposed to have a very tribal look. Buffalo are closely linked with Native American tribal culture. I envision the "Dark" part of this design being motivated by the creature's desire for revenge for the near-extermination of its species, and mistreatment of native tribes in general. The "Ground" side of this design is somewhat inherent in the general imagery of buffalo -- thundering hooves making the earth shake, herds running in big clouds of dust, etc.

I have intentionally tried to craft this design to look "cute" while still exhibiting a certain amount of aggression. I didn't want to use the Dark typing as an excuse to make the "ultimate badass" design. Instead, I tried to go in the opposite direction, and make this CAP look a bit cuter than some of the cool badasses we have made in the past.

Artistic Inspiration
Although I call this a buffalo, it's really an amalgam of a few different bovid species - including bison, wildebeests, and yaks. I used two real life pictures to inspire the design and colors. This wildebeest picture inspired the face pattern and the black hair. This picture of a buffalo gave me the idea of having a lighter pattern on the animal's back. I have a few other references I used, but this gives you an idea of my mixed inspirational sources.

For anyone that questions how this pokemon could be both big AND fast, I found a great fact about bison on the internet:
"Measuring around 6.5 feet tall at their shoulders and weighing up to 2,200 pounds, American bison are undoubtedly the largest terrestrial animals in North America! Despite their massive size, American bison can run at a top speed of 40 miles per hour!"
As you can see, this design can easily be very bulky and very fast!

Other Art
Sketch

Design Progress Animation

I like to try new things with every CAP project, and this little buffalo has been both challenging and fun for me as an artist and designer. Thanks to everyone who has given me encouragement along the way. As always, there is a lot of wonderful art submitted for CAP 9. I can't wait to see which one we choose!

Final Submission

Main Design:

Here's my final submission! No one quite knows what this Pokemon looks like other than what it shows from its "shell." Every time someone tries to look into its pyramid, it closes up and won't open up.

Supporting Material:

Pursuit

Auto-Magic Coat

This Pokemon's main form of locomotion is digging, though it is quite capable of dragging itself around the battle with its big arms for some maneuvers. By turning upside-down, it can easily use a spinning motion to dig quickly and efficiently in order to trap its foes and punish those that try to use their secondary damage attacks (like Celebi) :]

Final Submission.

I didn't have enough time to work on my other concept (which I liked more tbh), but I'll be using this as my final.

Final Submission

Main Design

So I've been stalking CAP for a while and always thought this was a neat process; the whole 'build up something to test the metagame' concept was always interesting to watch. Especially when it comes to the visual design. So after reading the threads I wanted somethin to support all the decisions you made. A star-nosed mole can be a Ground type, though my design kinda ended up w/sloth-like arms but somethin different, at least in comparison to another mole like Dugtrio <_< haha. It emphasizes that physically biased build and the somewhat bulky stats it has.

For a name I figured it would support the typing, my friend first suggested 'Stalagmole' but 'Stalagnight' sounds fitting imo. I also like the word 'Silhouette,' so I guess that can be an option for it too. In regards to the Dark typing and Auto Magic Coat, I thought up somethin like shadowy breath could be implemented as such. Give it a swanky name like 'Shadow Shroud' or somethin haha.

Although I came up with the original design, this artwork is actually done by my best friend. I felt like my original sketches didn't look fitting for a Pokemon and she has both talent and skill to produce somethin cool looking like this. Also she has a way with cutesifying things, lol. I'll describe its backstory, lifestyle, and attributes somewhat for flavor.
Stalagnight, the silhouette of the underground.

Stalagnight tend to dwell mostly submerged underground for the entirety of their lives and as such, have been reclusive for centuries. The stalagmite adaptations upon its shoulders enable it to blend in with the surroundings of caves, letting it ambush prey. The claws of Stalagnight are also craggy in appearance; by hovering in an area around its buried head it can shovel unsuspecting nourishment to its mouth.

Noses of Stalagnight are unique in that it can both smell and feel the vibrations caused by prey- as its vision is extremely poor and somewhat sensitive to light. Its breath can also be used in the same manner, sensing minute tremors in the air and ground, and disguises itself amongst the shadows. Stalagnight may also manipulate its ethereal breath to become tangible, either acting as a separate appendage or subconsciously defending it while keeping the actual body safe from harm.

Despite its size Stalagnight are deceptively agile, particularly in regards to burrowing. Its shovel-like arms and hands enable Stalagnight to practically swim through the hardest of strata. Even its tail has adapted to help it escape from the clutches of the one true predator it actually avoids: Garchomp. However young Gible, Gabite, and slow enough Diglett are certainly fair game. Dugtrio completely outspeed it however.

There you have it. With all of this talent CAP 9 is gonna look great no matter what. Cheers to the victor!

Just when you think CAP8 was the peak of the iceberg, alla this hits you right in the face. Awesome submissions people. I'm really glad with the direction pkmn-taicho321 and themutant went with their colouring and I found a surprise in Chet Rippo his clever design. Doug's is still my favourite however, but I'm expecting even more awesomeness to show up soon enough. Especially if more people show up with excellent last minute designs such as Galatic Grunt's (friend's).

My favorites have been Scampy's mole, Doug's buffallo, And Cadalbog's armadillo. It's going to be really hard to pick.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I REALLY like Stalagnight, both the concept and the name (especially the name).
That and Quasimanticore are tied (not a fan of the name but a brilliant concept).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)