Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Venomoth

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Fire type

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 10.7%

• Total voters
i would vouch for Raichu since he was my lead back when i RBYed on netbattle i had some sort of lucky aura/streak that somehow caused all lead eggys to be not of a big impact on my teams in RBY one time i even beat a eggy with a raichu without taking damage or status it was really funny.

Dugtrio.

Doesn't love Exeggutor for its bulkiness. However Dugtrio is fast, can set up Substitute and get off Earthquake, Slash & Rock Slide. All physical spectrum moves which most openers loathe.

gengar. its a faster sleeper then exeggutor and jynx(even though jynx has lovely kiss) and isnt stopped by firetypes like arcanine or ninetails. also like obi* said, if it misses, gengar can absorb the sleep and still come in on explosions.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
gengar is the best it has the fastest sleep
honestly i dont think 'the fastest sleep' makes up for the shitty accuracy. alakazam is the best lead imo, beats gengar and fires off fast twaves to help your late game sweepers

Gengar > Jynx
Gengar > Exeggutor
Alakazam > Gengar
Alakazam = Jynx
Alakazam = Exeggutor
Starmie = Gengar
Starmie = Jynx
Starmie > Exeggutor
Dugtrio > Gengar
Dugtrio < Jynx
Dugtrio < Exeggutor

The best lead is based on what the opponent uses. Overall, it is Jynx and Gengar, based on different situations, and Alakazam is generally the best anti-sleep lead.

honestly i dont think 'the fastest sleep' makes up for the shitty accuracy. alakazam is the best lead imo, beats gengar and fires off fast twaves to help your late game sweepers
I beg to differ? Hypnosis in Platinum has the same accuracy as it did in R/B/Y, and although usage went down, Hypnosis is still a viable sleep option, just as it was in R/B/Y. Voted Gengar, because of fast sleep, and high Special Attack (and technically Special Defense, too).

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I beg to differ? Hypnosis in Platinum has the same accuracy as it did in R/B/Y, and although usage went down, Hypnosis is still a viable sleep option, just as it was in R/B/Y. Voted Gengar, because of fast sleep, and high Special Attack (and technically Special Defense, too).

just because hypnosis has the same accuracy in platinum as it does in rby doesn't mean it doesn't suck. 60% is horrible, 1 miss against a pokemon like alakazam can easily fuck you over, i dont like using hypnosis i'd rather use sleep powder with somebody like exeggutor

Alakazam makes a good lead, as locopoke said. Kills Gar, the most common lead.

Gengar is another good lead since you can put a pokémon to asleep on the game begins, and it's fast.

Exeggutor is another good lead. Is the best pokémon to take sleeps since it's bulky and can do a lot of things early game (Paralyze stuff, Sleeps stuff, Explode on stuff, is a utility pokémon).

I Voted for Gengar but dosent mean "i think he is the best lead" all other leads are good. And cmon guys, this is RBY, the hax land.

Max

yadig
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've always been a fan of Gengar leads. But I have used Jynx as well with pretty good success. ^_^

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Alakazam makes a good lead, as locopoke said. Kills Gar, the most common lead.
Considering I doubt you've ever face a gengar that stayed in on the first turn and that you've wasted every single one of those first turns on a chansey or another alakazam, either using psychic for no damage or thunderwave, giving them what they wanted, I wouldn't call it a good lead.

Gengar is another good lead since you can put a pokémon to asleep on the game begins, and it's fast.
Can someone explain why 1st turn sleep is important so we could move on??????????

Exeggutor is another good lead. Is the best pokémon to take sleeps since it's bulky and can do a lot of things early game (Paralyze stuff, Sleeps stuff, Explode on stuff, is a utility pokémon).
One disastrous RBY mistake, would be to allow your exeggutor to go to sleep before it has itself slept someone. Until it has done just that, it is one you should actively not allow to sleep. Once it has however, I'd agree it becomes an excellent sleep bait.

just because hypnosis has the same accuracy in platinum as it does in rby doesn't mean it doesn't suck. 60% is horrible, 1 miss against a pokemon like alakazam can easily fuck you over, i dont like using hypnosis i'd rather use sleep powder with somebody like exeggutor
That's not what I said. 60% accuracy is good enough, because Sleep is a very useful status. With a Sleep inflicter that fast it's pretty good. It will beat most leads, and Alakazam's Psychic does only 61.92% - 73.07% damage to Gengar. But if you face an Alakazam lead, you can just switch to Snorlax anyway, and Gengar can sleep later. The only leads Gengar has real trouble with are Alakazam and possibly Jynx.

I like to lead with Gengar because so many people lead with sleep. Gengar is the best sleep absorber (because it's still useful since it can switch into Explosion), and is strong enough to take on most other leads. I agree with Vineon that you don't want to risk losing your sleeper (my main team has Sleep Powder Exeggutor, and I bring it out once I know what they're going to try and absorb sleep with so I sleep what I want).
this, word for word, is exactly how I feel. The reason to use Gengar as a lead is because he's such an awesome sleep bait. Takes explosions like a champ and can even try to wake up again against a persian or surfing snorlax. The fact that gengar can use hypnosis himself is just icing.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
That's not what I said. 60% accuracy is good enough, because Sleep is a very useful status. With a Sleep inflicter that fast it's pretty good. It will beat most leads, and Alakazam's Psychic does only 61.92% - 73.07% damage to Gengar. But if you face an Alakazam lead, you can just switch to Snorlax anyway, and Gengar can sleep later. The only leads Gengar has real trouble with are Alakazam and possibly Jynx.
That's a very bad idea.

Please remember RBY snorlax does not have the stellar Special Defense it has in the other generations. Add to that the nearly one out of 4 chances Alakazam might score a Critical Hit on the switch. Oh snorlax isn't in danger of dying yet, but there is little reason to let him take the hit when RBY offers countless amount of pokémons that can better resist Alakazam's psychic attacks.

Snorlax can take hits, but don't have him take them on the switch when you have better options.

I'm surprised Starmie isn't on there, as she is technically a better (anti) lead than Alakazam.

My vote goes to Gengar, the quickest sleeper in RBY and the best sleep absorber (he still walls Persian while asleep and still absorbs Explosion/SelfDestruct).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)