CAP 9 CAP 9 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
To say the truth, the pose Cyzir used in his art is pretty much prefect imo. A good sprite based around that pose would easily be the best.

Posting my Outline WIP for C+C, and also for my sanity to know that no one will steal my pose while I'm at school.

I realize it's very sideways, but I'm going to tweak it when I work some more. I also know that it has no teeth, but I'll had those. Like I said, this is so no one steals my pose.

C+C, please.

and KoA, that's really great.

I'll guess I did something wrong, but here's my beta sprite:
Rules state that you have to have a clear outline. I don't think you can dither the sand like that at the bottom and get away with it. it also seems a little small. you have as much as 80x80 to work with and with a whale as your sprite it should be pretty much taking up the entire space.

Perhaps it is a good thing you said "most" sprites rather than "all" sprites, because personally I think Hippowdon would struggle to maintain that stance with one foot/paw/whatever in the air, not to mention the sand arrangement constantly changing.
It's still fairly static; it just has a leg raised. It's not exactly leaping into the air with a sandstorm brewing around it. That said, I understand where KoA is coming from, I just think I prefer taicho's style. Personal tatse, I guess.

In fact, if any pose is perhaps a bit awkward, I'd say it's your sprite's pose. Given this thing's whale-like physique, I can't see it being flexible enough to bend into a perfect U-shape in that small a space. I think you should have the lower drill pointing somewhat downward to take this into account.
;-;

Really?

I was thinking more of dolphins than whales when I modelled that, so that may account for it. However, I don't really have the room to angle the drill differently. Any more than about 10* anti-clockwise, which isn't enough to make a truly noticeable difference, and it just doesn't fit. I can lower the drill, so the curve isn't quite as sharp. Would that suffice?

Tough competition and it's only the second day!

I'm particularly digging KoA's crazy dynamism and Wyv's colors and perspective.

Poke25, I think you're close. Perhaps show a little more torso and have some outline on the dirt? Bugmaniabob's I also like, but the cone shapes need to be reworked as most of them seem rather blob-like at the moment.

Deucalion, I like the treatment you gave the green patches on his skin. But the pose could use some work. He seems to be suspended in the air in a crescent moon shape, and I can't tell if he's coming or going. Try making the top and bottom a little less symmetrical.

So I've participated in these spriting events only twice before. But I was really motivated by CAP9's design and threw myself back into it.

"Just try something, you little bastard."

I wanted to emphasize hugeness, so in order for his face and drill to take up most of the space, I pushed the rest of him underground (which meshes well with his concept anyway).
It's not as dynamic as some of the other submissions this time, but I hoped I put across the idea of this thing possessing a lot of power while emphasizing its role as a threat to anything that thinks it can win through trickery and other non-straightforward means.

edit: emphasized the scars. I know they're not red like in the concept art, but I wanted to keep the palette more limited.

Darn cartoons! yours i awsome, Kao's is darn cool to, mine looks alittle stupid :( where did everyone learn to sprite :O

thanks for making my sprite transparent

A quick sprite. I wanted to make this sprite pursuit-ish and slightly sinister. I'll probably conjure up a few alternate poses if I can think of anything better but my personal preferences go towards the narwhal being out of the ground.
Wyverii, this is really great. I do think that the teeth look too aligned with the skin above the teeth and the chin below it, almost as if the teeth were painted on. Perhaps add more shadows at the top and bottom parts of the teeth to emphasize that the teeth are indented?
Also, the arms look a tad skinny for such a bulky Pokemon. But other than that, love it.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cartoons' sprite is amazing. CAP9 is seeming to be a very hard Pokemon to sprite, but your pose and your sprite's "feel" are just excellent.

A quick sprite. I wanted to make this sprite pursuit-ish and slightly sinister. I'll probably conjure up a few alternate poses if I can think of anything better but my personal preferences go towards the narwhal being out of the ground.
Nice sprite, Wyverii. The colors and expression are just perfect! :) But as far as design considerations go, I think it's actually better left inside the ground. Because of the nature of the chosen concept art, we don't actually know for sure what this thing's tail is supposed to look like. Sort of the same case with Digglett & Dugtrio. So adding an extra level of complication might not be the best.

I also think it looks much more imposing if it's simply emerging from the ground, sort of like "oh god i don't really know how big this thing is!" That also allows for some extra space to add more detail to the face area.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Ok, I added a more vibrant palette and fixed the outline up.

Anything before I move onto genders and shinies?

EDIT: Cartoons! you just blew me away with that! I wasn't a huge fan of the cartoony bulk you gave Arghonaut, but you captured that look perfectly with Mr. Blubbers here! I feel intimidated just looking at it!

Wyv, as my rival I expect nothing but the best from you! I like this starting point, but I feel that perhaps having the tail sticking up in the air like that kinda looks a lil awkward. I honestly don't know what to fix about it since if you left the tail down it wouldn't look battle-ready enough. :(

Double Edit: buttfuck, I see some outline errors on mine that are irritating me.

Cartoons' sprite is absolutely amazing. I love how you made CAP9 look so huge and overpowering, and the facial expression you gave it is excellent.

Very well done!

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Good lookin', the green was kinda buggin' me too. Is this any better?

Nice sprite, Wyverii. The colors and expression are just perfect! :) But as far as design considerations go, I think it's actually better left inside the ground. Because of the nature of the chosen concept art, we don't actually know for sure what this thing's tail is supposed to look like. Sort of the same case with Digglett & Dugtrio. So adding an extra level of complication might not be the best.
Actually...
*supporting material for spriters*

we do have a full view. You can keep it in the ground if you wish, but we do have the full design, unlike diglett/dugtrio.

Also, I think that the top part of our poke is more light gray than green. I'd like to see someone sprite the colors like that.

Cartoons, your sprite is amazing.

Try to make the eyes a bit bigger. They seem too small and unproportional on CAP9 as of the current sprite. Try to add in those scars too! :)

-Terywj

BugManiacBob, you probably have my favorite submission here, but you're sprite could use a lot of work. If I were you I'd attempt to resprite the eye as it looks REALLY awkward. Redrawing the arm wouldn't hurt either as it also looks kind of odd (that, and it looks like he's pumping his arms up and down dancing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)